PDA

View Full Version : Maybe K state loss will be a wake up call

basel90
9/29/2012, 09:02 AM
Previous losses were put on vendables's D , who was the culprit mostly. Now that mike stoops is in charge of the D, the focus is on our offensive issues and the shortcomings of LJ .
The loss to Snyder hurts stoops the most, and may be the needed wake up call before we meet Texas , notre dame etc..
I hope stoops wakes up and mixes things up . I am not totally sold on the idea that LJ is our best option. I hate how soft our media is with stoops on this issue during press conferences,,Why not bench Landry? Isn't Blake a 5 star recruit? Am sure he can confuse many Ds.
I sure would hate see us lose to ND and TX and maybe more with the current predictable offense.
I am sure our D will be fine and continue to improve .. Remember mike is playing with vendables recruits.

kevpks
9/29/2012, 09:25 AM
He'll never bench Landry, but that doesn't mean we can't still change some things. With the emergence of Shepard, we have a legitimate 4 WR look again. I think this offense is at it's best when we can move fast and keep mixing up formations and personnel.

Mjcpr
9/29/2012, 09:26 AM
How many years/losses in a row has somebody used the wake up call hope? We should've been wide awake after last year and the year before and the year before and....

SoonerStormchaser
9/29/2012, 09:28 AM
Nope...I doubt this. There were multiple reasons why OU lost that game...Landry being 80% of it, but the lack of O-line blocking, several blown defensive assignments, lack of tackling at times, and a highly predictable gameplan from a coach who seems to want to mold players to the system rather than vice-versa being the other 20%. Of course, if this was Dean Blevins, he'd think the latter bits would make up the last 40%.

Sabanball
9/29/2012, 09:40 AM
I think it could be. I'm sure the intensity level got raised in practice this week and a lot of adjustments were made where needed with the skilled players. I think your D will be fine.

One thing though that I think might be getting overlooked is your O-line. It all starts up front, and I still think losing a combined 60 starts in the preseason might have hurt you on O, especially in pass protection. LJ is not much of a runner or good at scrambling and extending plays, and that showed in a big way last saturday night. What do you guys think about your O-line?

cleller
9/29/2012, 09:45 AM
That would make it the 3rd wake up call for the year. Whoever invented that snooze button @&**!!

85sooners
9/29/2012, 09:49 AM
Phuck u

Sooner70
9/29/2012, 10:00 AM
I could be, as a loss early in the season is better to overcome than one later. It all depends on how the coaches & players respond. We'll know pretty soon. Sooners have plenty of chances to redeem themselves as their schedule has more than a sprinkling of rated teams. Question will be whether or not they have the talent, attitude, coaching & moxy to make it happen. I'd like to think they can.

If they don't get it together, they could face 4 more losses.......Notre Dame, Texas, West Virginia and at least one between OSU, TCU, or TTech. 7-5 won't go over good in Soonerland. But, they could get it together and maybe finish 10-2 or sorta together & fiish 9-3.

I guess we'll see--what kind of coach Stoops is and what kind of players OU has. It's easy when one has a cush schedule & is talent laden. These are the times when the principals earn their keep (or not).

goingoneight
9/29/2012, 11:54 AM
KSU's gameplan was different from the teams that beat us last year. They realized that Josh and his offensive staff and players are trying to force this cute little trinket spread offense and Snyder knew if his guys played their A-game up front-- OU would shoot themselves in the foot. Literally playing not to lose. This is why they won't get past better offensive teams down the stretch, IMO. It was what needed to be done, though. Stoops did the same thing at aTm in 2006.
The only way OU gets better is by gaining more experience around whoever is OUr quarterback... period. If you think this team is even half as good now as they were going into Dallas a year ago offensively, you're kidding yourself.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2012, 12:29 PM
wake up call as in something is wrong? Maybe. The coaches from Bob Stoops to Josh Heupel have said there are problems.

Wake up call as in they will actually do something that actually changes the way the offense does business? Not unless we see it against Tech.

It won't be a wake up call if we do not see any significant changes in the approach our offense runs.

I'm not talking about the no huddle, though I think it needs to be scrapped. I'm talking about lining up and being physical! Shoving the oppositions heads up their asses physical!

The changes have to be significant in the approach. From getting away from the shotgun 3-5 step drops on passes. From doing away with the zone runs that never have any misdirection. To getting the team settled in and playing fundamental football.

Changes including getting under center a good number of plays. changes like moving the pocket. Changes like using the run to set up the pass. Changes like minimizing how long LJ has the ball in his hands. Changes like making the defense be on their heels. Changes like stop being so predictible on offense.

But then again, I'm beating a dead horse. Because until we actaually see that our offensive coaches can make those changes, we are going to have games like we saw against KSU, no matter who the QB is.

I would love to see Bell directing the offense, but it won't happen. Jones can win us games, as long as he isn't required to do more than be a game manager, much like McCarron is at Bama.

Jdog
9/29/2012, 02:30 PM
Wake up calls: Texas Tech, Baylor, Ostate, UTEP and now KSU.
Fans, wake up - with the exception of a couple of players, the talent is down this year.
Too many turn overs, too many injuries and too many expectations.
We've seen it before. It happens.
Do your part: Fans need to get behind the team at games, make more noise at the home games and Players need a better attitude
and remember, there is always the Thunder!!!!!

Breadburner
9/29/2012, 02:34 PM
We just cant make any mistakes..Thats the bottom line......

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 03:08 PM
Anyone that can't clearly see that Landry didn't get a chance to win that KSU Game in the 4th quarter is in complete denial. The Defense didn't hold in the 4th quarter. Mike screwed up. Landry didnt have a perfect game but he didn't get a shot to pull off the win after that last series. KSU ran the clock and we lost.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/29/2012, 03:15 PM
Anyone that can't clearly see that Landry didn't get a chance to win that KSU Game in the 4th quarter is in complete denial. The Defense didn't hold in the 4th quarter. Mike screwed up. Landry didnt have a perfect game but he didn't get a shot to pull off the win after that last series. KSU ran the clock and we lost.

Yeah, Landry did a great job in the priior three quarters to give Oklahoma a chance to win the game. His turnover that directly led to a TD and then throwing a pick at mid-field when the Sooners finally gained much needed momentum really helped out the Sooners. He was selfish in coming back to try to position himself for more money and screwed both himself and the Sooners by doing so. At least he has no choice, but to leave after this season. He's currently like the Jimmy Stevens of QBs without Broyles on the roster.

cleller
9/29/2012, 03:19 PM
On the blame list, I'd have Mike right in last place.

Blue
9/29/2012, 04:22 PM

THIS^^^ is like the opposite of what happened. The D was gassed due the Offensive suckage.

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 04:24 PM
THIS^^^ is like the opposite of what happened. The D was gassed due the Offensive suckage.

Then Mike did a **** poor job of getting them in shape.

Seriously Blue? I've heard plenty of folks saying we lack talent and our LBers are weak but Gassed? You can do better than that.

4th Qtr

Kansas State at 14:53
DRIVE TOTALS: KANSASST drive: 7 plays 38 yards, 03:04 KANSASST TD

Oklahoma at 13:16

1st and 10 at OKLA 35
Damien Williams (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/534462/damien-williams) rush for 4 yards to the Okla 29, OKLAHOMA penalty 10 yard Holding accepted.

1st and 16 at OKLA 29
Landry Jones (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/377845/landry-jones) pass incomplete.

2nd and 16 at OKLA 29
Landry Jones (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/377845/landry-jones) pass complete to Brannon Green (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/534479/brannon-green) for 9 yards to the Okla 38.

3rd and 7 at OKLA 38
Landry Jones (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/377845/landry-jones) pass incomplete to Brennan Clay (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/501544/brennan-clay).

4th and 7 at OKLA 38
Tress Way (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/377859/tress-way) punt for 39 yards, downed at the KanSt 23.

DRIVE TOTALS: OKLAHOMA drive: 4 plays 3 yards, 01:17 OKLAHOMA PUNT

Kansas State at 11:59
DRIVE TOTALS: KANSASST drive: 8 plays 77 yards, 04:32 KANSASST TD

Oklahoma at 7:27
DRIVE TOTALS: OKLAHOMA drive: 10 plays 65 yards, 03:18 OKLAHOMA TD

Kansas State at 4:09

1st and 10 at KSU 25
John Hubert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/481493/john-hubert) rush for a loss of 1 yard to the KanSt 24.

2nd and 11 at KSU 24
Collin Klein (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/381823/collin-klein) pass incomplete to Tyler Lockett (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515181/tyler-lockett).

3rd and 11 at KSU 24
Collin Klein (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/381823/collin-klein) pass complete to Tramaine Thompson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/481509/tramaine-thompson) for 12 yards to the KanSt 36 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at KSU 36
John Hubert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/481493/john-hubert) rush for 5 yards to the KanSt 41.

2nd and 5 at KSU 41
John Hubert (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/481493/john-hubert) rush for 2 yards to the KanSt 43.

3rd and 3 at KSU 43
Timeout OKLAHOMA, clock 1:59.

3rd and 3 at KSU 43
Timeout KANSAS ST, clock 1:59.

3rd and 3 at KSU 43
Collin Klein (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/381823/collin-klein) rush for 5 yards to the KanSt 48 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at KSU 48
Team rush for a loss of 2 yards to the KanSt 46.

2nd and 12 at KSU 46
Team rush for a loss of 2 yards to the KanSt 44.

End of 4th Quarter

K-State had a 3:04 Drive for a YD and a 4:32 Drive for a TD and a final Drive that ran the clock out.

The Defense allowed K-State 2 TDs in the 4th qtr. The OU Offense did stall once and used up 1:17 but Scored a TD with 10 plays in 3:18....

Gassed?

You have to be kidding me.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/29/2012, 08:49 PM
You're going off of the 4th quarter instead of the prior three quarters? Why you are just brilliant!

goingoneight
9/29/2012, 09:04 PM
I love the logic that OUr most experienced QB in school history screwed us by coming back. Just like Sam did in 2009, right? :rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2012, 09:13 PM
I like the "logic" that suggests Mike Stoops screwed us by allowing 2 tds in the fourth....lol

I want whatever drug that person is smoking!

olevetonahill
9/29/2012, 09:14 PM
I like the "logic" that suggests Mike Stoops screwed us by allowing 2 tds in the fourth....lol

Dont think its smokable, Ima figuring its crushed and snorted

StoopTroup
You're going off of the 4th quarter instead of the prior three quarters? Why you are just brilliant!

Ummm....yes I am. Prior to the 4th quarter...and I don't know if you noticed this....KSU had 10 points. OU shut them out in the 1st quarter and the 3rd quarter. So...No....I'm not ignoring the other 3 quarters. I am paying real close attention to the 2nd and 4th quarters and noticing that the 1st and 3rd were very good defensively. I think if things had been maybe 10 points in the 1st and 14 points in the 3rd...maybe the end of the game would have had us winning the game but I guess in your World, only the 1st three count....lol

Honestly...there is a reason Bob has the Team raising their hands in the air at the end of the 4th quarter. He expects them to play their asses off on both sides of the ball and close out the game with a win.

If you think letting KSU get two TDs in the 4th quarter was part of Bob's game plan....fine. I disagree with your brilliance.

badger

Dont smoke. Its unhealthy, much like obsessing over a game from a week ago.

Thank gawd for bye weeks

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 09:19 PM

Thank gawd for bye weeks

I agree Badg but great Coaches find games like this hard to let go of.

They also have a real hard time when folks ask them why they are at a Junior High School Coaching instead of OU.

badger
9/29/2012, 09:22 PM

Thank gawd for bye weeks

They also have a real hard time when folks ask them why they are at a Junior High School Coaching instead of OU.

Arent folks an inconvenience? Hehe

I wish college football season werent seemingly over after one loss

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 09:23 PM
Me too.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2012, 09:51 PM

You get stupider and stupider with every pill you pop!

Unless you didn't know it....coaching younger is actually tougher since attention spans are smaller (kind of like yours), and you constantly trying to get fundamentals to sink in. You can ask any coach in the nation from high school on up, that hope to god they get players that are taught properly entering their system.

Without coaches like those that actually teach the game at its purest form, there wouldn't be players for Stoops to recruit.

That said, get off my nutsack! I know its nice and salty, but your out of touch with reality!

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2012, 09:52 PM
Arent folks an inconvenience? Hehe

I wish college football season werent seemingly over after one loss

Awww badg, it isn't over. Just some of us realize there are problems that need to be corrected.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2012, 09:54 PM
Dont think its smokable, Ima figuring its crushed and snorted

Well however its used to enter the system, I want some. I want to become out of touch and delusional too!!!