PDA

View Full Version : Prayer and good thoughts

MamaMia
9/28/2012, 03:59 PM
Well guys, it looks like its time for more radiation and this time, some chemo too. It will be my first time for that. I've heard its not as bad as it use to be though, and I have the best doctors ever. I'll be seeing my oncologist to set everything up on Monday. I haven't spoken much about it because its not a fun thing to talk about, but I do need all the prayer I can get right about now. If you all could also say a prayer for our finances that would be appreciated. Catastrophic illness costs are horrific and its going to take forever to catch up. Me not being able to work very much isn't helping matters. My uncle paid for our OU tickets for my birthday, so hopefully I'll be there helping y'all cheer on the team later this season.

Thanks. :)

rock on sooner
9/28/2012, 04:01 PM
My wish for you is nothing but blue skies and green lights and, for the
man upstairs to hold you in the palm of his hand.

MamaMia
9/28/2012, 04:09 PM
My wish for you is nothing but blue skies and green lights and, for the
man upstairs to hold you in the palm of his hand.I have a wonderful family, great kids, and friends, some of whom I have known for 40 plus years, since I was a little girl. In so many ways, I am very blessed. :)

So, no matter what happens, I want you all to know that I have complete faith in Gods plan for me and my loved ones.

olevetonahill
9/28/2012, 04:11 PM
You got em , Love ya

KantoSooner
9/28/2012, 04:13 PM
Hang in there and never stop fighting.

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 08:34 PM
You know you can count myself and my family "In" for the thoughts and prayers.

Be strong, do what the doctors tell you, and don't be afraid to take drugs for nausea, etc.!! My brother went through the chemo thing twice in the past 5 years, and he said it was certainly better the second go around (which was about a year and a half ago, the first was in '06).

Prayers and thoughts your way! We love ya Glen!!

hawaii 5-0
9/28/2012, 09:18 PM
My prayers go out to you and your caregivers.

I wish you well in your next endeavor.

5-0

MamaMia
9/28/2012, 09:29 PM
You know you can count myself and my family "In" for the thoughts and prayers.

Be strong, do what the doctors tell you, and don't be afraid to take drugs for nausea, etc.!! My brother went through the chemo thing twice in the past 5 years, and he said it was certainly better the second go around (which was about a year and a half ago, the first was in '06).

Prayers and thoughts your way! We love ya Glen!!That means a lot to me. Thank you. I'll pray for your brother too.

I will be strong and I promise that I'll do everything my doctor says. I haven't even said a word about all the needles, and don't plan to, but I really hate that part. :(

I think I'll be having chemo every 3 weeks and the radiation for...I think he said a week or two? I know very little about chemo. I'll know more on Monday. Thats also when we'll go over all the details and schedule everything.

I thought I was getting ready to have chemo a while back but I responded well to the cancer medication and radiation, so I ended up not having to do that after all. All 3 of my doctors and all the people who work for them are so caring and just amazing. That gives me a lot of comfort and strength. They've known each other a long time so they are all looking out for me together.

I just had a PET Scan recently and its progressed now. So, thats why the chemo and radiation. I haven't been feeling well at all, on and off this whole month. I had my 1st ambulance ride this week. That was scary. I was severely dehydrated for the 1st time in my life which caused a chain reaction of things. They gave me Zofran for the nausea and it helps a lot.

Soonerus
9/28/2012, 10:03 PM
Mama, you know my prayers and thoughts are with you...please find strength in your faith !!!

Cheerin' 4 OU
9/29/2012, 01:06 AM
Mama, you don't know me at all, but I've watched you post with grace for years, here, and I have great respect for you.

God bless you, Mama. I will send extra prayers up for you tonight as well as for your finances and your family. Fine people like you only come along once in a lifetime.

We're all pulling for you!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/29/2012, 01:34 AM
Mama, you know my prayers and thoughts are with you...please find strength in your faith !!!What he said, and I wish you the greatest success with your treatments. If God feels like helping certin folks in their troubles, I'm hoping you're among them.

Blue
9/29/2012, 02:06 AM
. If God feels like helping certin folks in their troubles, I'm hoping you're among them.

That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I guess she did say, "good thoughts" though, like that would make a difference.

Seamus
9/29/2012, 03:03 AM
Best wishes and godspeed, Mama.

Petro-Sooner
9/29/2012, 04:39 AM
Prayers sent momma

Fraggle145
9/29/2012, 09:06 PM
Hang in there Mama.

Wishboned
9/29/2012, 10:39 PM
Prayers and good thoughts headed your way.

MamaMia
9/29/2012, 11:33 PM
Thank you.

hawaii 5-0
9/30/2012, 06:24 AM
Mama,

We'd appreciate any further updates you'd care to share. We're all concerned about your health.

5-0

BigTip
9/30/2012, 10:09 AM
I wish I couldn't relate to your woes, but I do, because have so many friends that are going through this.
Why does life have to be so hard?
Good luck and keep up the good fight!

MamaMia
9/30/2012, 12:43 PM
Mama,

We'd appreciate any further updates you'd care to share. We're all concerned about your health.

5-0okay. I'll have to practice using my cell phone. :)

I wish I couldn't relate to your woes, but I do, because have so many friends that are going through this.
Why does life have to be so hard?
Good luck and keep up the good fight!

Thank you. Its hard when its someone you love. I lost one of my best friends to cancer last summer. It feels like yesterday. She passed away within a few weeks of being diagnosed. She was a big part of my life. We did everything together. We shared the same hymn book at mass. If I was there, she was there. I miss her every single day.

Newbomb Turk
9/30/2012, 02:01 PM
you certainly have my prayers and good thoughts. Hang tough!

8timechamps
9/30/2012, 06:51 PM
That means a lot to me. Thank you. I'll pray for your brother too.

I will be strong and I promise that I'll do everything my doctor says. I haven't even said a word about all the needles, and don't plan to, but I really hate that part. :(

I think I'll be having chemo every 3 weeks and the radiation for...I think he said a week or two? I know very little about chemo. I'll know more on Monday. Thats also when we'll go over all the details and schedule everything.

I thought I was getting ready to have chemo a while back but I responded well to the cancer medication and radiation, so I ended up not having to do that after all. All 3 of my doctors and all the people who work for them are so caring and just amazing. That gives me a lot of comfort and strength. They've known each other a long time so they are all looking out for me together.

I just had a PET Scan recently and its progressed now. So, thats why the chemo and radiation. I haven't been feeling well at all, on and off this whole month. I had my 1st ambulance ride this week. That was scary. I was severely dehydrated for the 1st time in my life which caused a chain reaction of things. They gave me Zofran for the nausea and it helps a lot.

You're gonna do well, I just know it! My brother's chemo sessions took a hour or two, so he always took his iPad and watched movies, etc. Something to think about.

Zofran is an amazing drug for nausea. I am highly allergic to it, so I can't take it, but it sounds like it works for you. I don't think anyone really likes needles, but I'm sure the folks that will be sticking you have done it for a long time, and if you look away, you probably won't even notice. You've got this!

MamaMia
10/1/2012, 08:38 PM
I had to reschedule for Friday. My appt. is at a place people are getting treatments and since I was still running an on and off low grade fever, I didn't want to jeopardize anyones health. So I have a few days to get better. I was able to spend some time calling around to gather some coats for our Operation Warmth. I think even when you're struggling yourself in whatever ways, that helping others is a good way to take your mind off of it.

BajaOklahoma
10/1/2012, 08:50 PM
Positive thoughts.
Zofran is wonderful. I remember when we first got it - a miracle drug for so many patients/friends.

oudanny
10/2/2012, 08:31 AM
I pray that God holds you and strengthens you and blesses your doctors with wisdom and His healing touch. Amen.

TUSooner
10/2/2012, 08:57 AM
You are in my prayers, Mama. Lots of love to you!

usmc-sooner
10/2/2012, 06:05 PM
Let me start by saying I could be wrong, but didn't you guys set up a paypal donation account for a guy who had a catastrophe in his life? I believe olvevet set up a pay pal account for a guy. Why not set up something similar here? It would be for a good cause.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 06:23 PM
No. We have been through struggles before and managed. Everyone has ups and downs. It will take some time but we will be just fine, thank you.

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 06:29 PM
Yup, I did set sompun up for a Guy whos Wife passed away suddenly 2 days er so after Thanksgiving, Leaving Him unemployed with 2 children to raise. The generosity of Peeps was amazing

Mites well do an Update since you brot it up. The Young man is doing well now has a Job an a Home and His Kids are growing

Im Proud we could help. If I thot for a Minute that Mom dint have Insurance and /or Needed Help I'd get on it Just as I would for You or anyone else here.

MamaMia
10/2/2012, 06:37 PM
Yup, I did set sompun up for a Guy whos Wife passed away suddenly 2 days er so after Thanksgiving, Leaving Him unemployed with 2 children to raise. The generosity of Peeps was amazing

Mites well do an Update since you brot it up. The Young man is doing well now has a Job an a Home and His Kids are growing

Im Proud we could help. If I thot for a Minute that Mom dint have Insurance and /or Needed Help I'd get on it Just as I would for You or anyone else here.

I'm happy to know that father and his children are okay. As for us, we have also been helping my daughter, the EMT, who had the blunt trauma stroke April before last. We are hanging in there. Its not been easy, but we will be just fine. There are people a lot worse off who dont even see a light at the end of the tunnel and who need the help of others.

Also, once again...thank you all so much for the prayers. Thats all we need.

usmc-sooner
10/2/2012, 06:42 PM

that is awesome.

FirstandGoal
10/3/2012, 05:59 PM
Okay Mama, I know you got this. You're a strong woman and you are strong in your faith and have a great family and network of friends.
That being said, here are some basic pointers from someone who has "been there, done that"

1. There is never a stupid question. -- Trying to understand everything that will be going on is tough. Be sure to always ask plenty of questions before, during and after treatment. It doesn't mean you don't trust your health care providers, it just means that you want to be as well informed as you can be. Knowledge is power.

2. Find and use your support network. -- No man (or woman) is an island. Make sure that you always have someone there with you for every single appointment, both big and small. Not only does the moral support help, but you also have another set of eyes and ears to help you remember things. One time I went to chemo by myself because it was earlier in the day than normal and not only did I forget to apply the numbing cream to my port beforehand, but I also forgot to take my pre-chemo nausea medecine. It wasn't until I was feeling completely horrible in the middle of the session that I had that "aha" moment. That had to be one of the worst single days of my life ever.

3. You come first-- As women (and mothers of children) we are used to putting ourselves last. Well, no more sister! You have to put yourself number one so you can have the best chance at recovery. That means that someone else does the cooking and the cleaning and the caregiving for awhile. Your #1 priority right now is to get better. Also, make sure to schedule in time to pamper yourself. Get a massage. A facial. A manicure. Buy that new book you've been wanting to read and take a bubble bath (if your port allows). Go buy some fantastic scarves or hats to make up for the hair loss. Get a new shade of lipstick. Really it can be anything big or small, but give yourself the red carpet treatment during this time.

4. Let 'er Rip -- Don't feel like you have to be brave or gracious or strong right now. Feel free to be pissed off, scared, emotional, you name it. Some of my best days were when I could journal out all of my anger, frustration and helplessness and have a good cry.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, hang tough!

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 10:15 PM
Okay Mama, I know you got this. You're a strong woman and you are strong in your faith and have a great family and network of friends.
That being said, here are some basic pointers from someone who has "been there, done that"

1. There is never a stupid question. -- Trying to understand everything that will be going on is tough. Be sure to always ask plenty of questions before, during and after treatment. It doesn't mean you don't trust your health care providers, it just means that you want to be as well informed as you can be. Knowledge is power.

2. Find and use your support network. -- No man (or woman) is an island. Make sure that you always have someone there with you for every single appointment, both big and small. Not only does the moral support help, but you also have another set of eyes and ears to help you remember things. One time I went to chemo by myself because it was earlier in the day than normal and not only did I forget to apply the numbing cream to my port beforehand, but I also forgot to take my pre-chemo nausea medecine. It wasn't until I was feeling completely horrible in the middle of the session that I had that "aha" moment. That had to be one of the worst single days of my life ever.

3. You come first-- As women (and mothers of children) we are used to putting ourselves last. Well, no more sister! You have to put yourself number one so you can have the best chance at recovery. That means that someone else does the cooking and the cleaning and the caregiving for awhile. Your #1 priority right now is to get better. Also, make sure to schedule in time to pamper yourself. Get a massage. A facial. A manicure. Buy that new book you've been wanting to read and take a bubble bath (if your port allows). Go buy some fantastic scarves or hats to make up for the hair loss. Get a new shade of lipstick. Really it can be anything big or small, but give yourself the red carpet treatment during this time.

4. Let 'er Rip -- Don't feel like you have to be brave or gracious or strong right now. Feel free to be pissed off, scared, emotional, you name it. Some of my best days were when I could journal out all of my anger, frustration and helplessness and have a good cry.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, hang tough!

Two things:

No man (or woman) is an island.

Darrel Revis says he's an island. But I never believed him anyway!

One time I went to chemo by myself...

:(

MamaMia
10/3/2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the information.