PDA

View Full Version : Can Landry redeem himself?

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 02:40 PM
When we look back at QBs from the past, we always associate them with the way the team's performed during their time as QB. It's easy to think of a top 5 list for OU, given the tradition, and I'd suspect a lot of younger fans would have Sam at the top of the list (and probably a lot of older fans too). With Landry going down in the record books as the most prolific (maybe the wrong word, how about "record setting") passer to ever wear a Sooner uniform, it seems odd to think that Landry may not even be considered a top 10 candidate.

So, the question is; can Landry redeem himself at this point, or would it be too little, too late? If you think he can redeem himself, what would have to happen in his last 10 or 11 games? Go 10-0 or 11-0? Not throw another pick the rest of the year? Not make another mistake? Or, is it too late and Landry will always have the "He was good, but..." title when his name is brought up in the future?

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2012, 02:59 PM
Baylor had a QB during the GuyMo era named Shawn Bell. Bell was, by far, the best QB we had since way back to the Teaff days. He broke almost every Baylor QB record you can think of, but he was not highly regarded by fans. He could move the offense, but he often could just not finish the job when he needed to. There were flashes of brilliance, but his records did not reflect his value as a QB.

I think Landry is in a very similar position at OU. Landry of course is much better than Bell was, but they are in a similar position.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2012, 03:07 PM
LJ will have to play well for us to beat the horns, but if that happens: REDEEMED (at least in my book).

KantoSooner
9/28/2012, 03:10 PM
Speaking for myself alone, I'd have to see them run the table from here on out to start getting back on the Landry bus.
I really don't need to see a flawless year, but I would need to see an elmination of bonehead lapses of judgement.
I'd also like to see him put at least one alpha male move on video. Something like, oh, trucking a DB to get into the endzone on a broken play.

Pricetag
9/28/2012, 03:20 PM
Of course he can. We've all been pretty hard on him since Saturday, but what we really want to see is him play well. That's all he has to do.

badger
9/28/2012, 03:37 PM
Of course he can.

Agree. Here's how he can do it:

1- Beat Texas.
Very few OU quarterbacks have beaten Texas every time they've started the game (note that Sammie started in 2009 before succumbing to injury again). Landry can do this by beating Texas this year.

2- Win the Big 12.
2010 was nice, but winning two would put LJ in another category.

3- Win a major college award
The Heisman would give him a statue on campus, but considering that OU has been more of a running back/defense award university than a quarterback award university, a QB award would set him apart. The O'Brien has only been won by two Sooners: Jason White and Sam Bradford. The Unitas has only been won by Jason.

4- Win a national title
Don't laugh - LSU made it to the title game and won with two regular season losses in Lester's first year outta Stillwater. Losing to a ranked team, even at home, is not the end of the world... maybe.

5- Get really good in the NFL
I was telling NP last night that if Brandon Weeden and Ryan Tanny could be first round draft picks, so could Landry. NP pointed out (he is the football smart one) that there is a lot more tape on LJ than Weeden or Tannahill that could hurt LJ's pro stock. But... we'll see. Sooners that have better pro careers than college careers? They'll be gifts that give after they graduate!

6- Have outstanding sons and daughters with Whitney Hand that come back and kick major arse in Sooner sports
I've often thought about if Whitney Hand were (a guy and) our quarterback instead of Landry. Maybe in 25 years I won't have to think about it and it'll happen.

SoonerMarkVA
9/28/2012, 03:47 PM
He'll have to do everything right. I'm thinking Badger's list looks pretty good. It would also help if he effectively promoted OU after he's an alum, whatever he ends up doing.

Fraggle145
9/28/2012, 04:03 PM
11-0. Win Big 12, Win BCS bowl (potential MNC) against a legit opponent. Dont fumble the ball for the rest of the year. Stop kicking up more grass with his happy feet than a dog after it takes a ****. Dont throw the ball directly at a defender for the rest of the year (not saying dont get picked off).

FaninAma
9/28/2012, 04:27 PM
Can he redeem himself? Certainly.

Will he redeem himself? Not so certain. In fact, I think most of us will be suprised if he elevates his play and puts this team on his shoulders like other OU QBS have done.

goingoneight
9/28/2012, 04:38 PM
People have ripped him to shreds during his finest moments here... so I'm gonna say this doesn't end well for him. I'll add to Badger's list. The first inexplicable loss of the Blake Bell era will usher in memories of how LJ wasn't so bad after all. I don't hear anybody still clamoring for Chuck Long to put Paul Thompson in against KSU anymore. Funny how TCU changed that.
Moral of the story: OU's quarterback will look better when his team GETS better. What do Josh, Jason and Sam have in common in 2000, 2003/4 and 2007/8? Landry has already proven in 2010 that he can play at a high level if the guys around him are getting it done, too.

FaninAma
9/28/2012, 04:46 PM
Goingoneight, I disagree. I don't know a lot of fans that expect LJ to be Sam Bradford or Josh Huepel. We do expect him, at this point in his career, to not make critical turnovers, miss wide open receivers on 9 yard slants and underthrow wide open receivers running down the crease of the zone all night long.

I bet the coaches expect the same things from their 5th year, 4 year starting QB.

I Am Right
9/28/2012, 05:36 PM
sure, dont turn the ball over against K-State, wait never mind!

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2012, 05:37 PM
sure, dont turn the ball over against K-State, wait never mind!

I can almost guarantee it won't happen again.

SoonerOX
9/28/2012, 05:48 PM
All I want is for him to correct his mistakes, step up and make accurate throws to relatively open receivers. If he does that, and the guys around him do their jobs competently; then redemption is his in my eyes. I actually still have faith in the guy.

cvsooner
9/28/2012, 05:54 PM
While he has his moments, his bad habits seem ingrained to the point that he'll never overcome them and he's easily pushed back into them. I'm at the point of wishing if he's not comfortable in the pocket just tuck it and start running for the sticks. Seriously.

85sooners
9/28/2012, 07:25 PM

I Am Right
9/28/2012, 07:46 PM
As another poster has said. He will make a great preacher.

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 08:14 PM
I'll admit, I lost a lot of confidence in the guy Saturday. I've had faith in him his entire career, and even during the late part of last season I continued to believe. Even through the UTEP game, I continued to believe. After Saturday, it's just not there. The thing is I know the kid can play great football, I guess I'll just have to see it (and consistently) to get back on board. If nothing else, just manage the game. And, like was said above, I'm to the point that I would rather see him tuck the ball and run rather than buy time and throw it to a defender.

lasooner123
9/28/2012, 08:14 PM
win out win bcs bowl game and he'll be "redeemed"

hes good but not great. undefeated in bowl games and 2 bcs wins isnt too shabby

WA. Sooner
9/28/2012, 08:16 PM
Beat Notre Dame!

tcrb
9/28/2012, 09:25 PM
He can, but I dont have much faith that he will.

Jdog
9/28/2012, 11:25 PM
No

sendbaht
9/29/2012, 12:06 AM
Yes he can and yes he will...From this day forward until the end of the season...ALL WILL BE OK.....mark my words!!!! and we will win our bowl game in January and end the season in the top 5......

Blue
9/29/2012, 02:19 AM
I don't think so. Although he's a good man, Landry Jones is a not a memorable QB. And I don't blame the players around him. He's clearly scared and lost 75% of the time. A reactor and not someone who forces reaction. IMO of course.

basel90
9/29/2012, 10:05 AM
Beat ND and Texas and his legacy will be a top 10 qb of all times

JLMSOONER
9/29/2012, 10:44 AM
Nope! I supported and defended LJ all the way until he fumbled into the end zone last weekend. That was the last straw. Reminded me of the fumble against tejas a couple years ago. We were dominating the shorthorns and that fumble, had it not gone out of bounds, probably would have turned that game around. He is a 5th yr sr who has been a starter going into basically his 4th season and still does the same bonehead plays. Be a man on that play, tuck the ball and take the shot. Maybe we get lucky and punt out of that hole. But nope, hang the tater sack out there and run like a screaming little girl and drop the tater like a sissy. I remember a pic someone posted of a little girl running with a doll like a wolf was chasing her. After 4 yrs that still applies for LJ. If he runs the table and puts #8 on the shelf, which is about as unlikely as it gets, he still won't get into a top 5 or hell even a top 10 QB. Discussion. I think LJ is a good man, but at this point he is just a puzzle piece to get us through the season. We have to switch QB's in 3rd and one because when a big ol LB plugs the hole he will scream and wilt like a cheap flower. Sorry, but no chance for redemption.

MamaMia
9/29/2012, 12:05 PM

(((*** ***))) Thats "(((BIG HUG)))" in star talk. He he he :D

Sometimes somebody justs needs a hug. :love_heart:

thecrimsoncrusader
9/29/2012, 03:20 PM
How about not throwing into triple coverage while having plenty of time to throw for the rest of the season? That would be progress!