PDA

View Full Version : K-State

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 02:28 PM
Now that things have cooled off a bit, I thought I'd get everyone's opinion of what kind of team K-State really is. One thing we know if that they're not going to beat themselves. Also, I think this may be the best team they've ever had...essentially the same team from last year, only better. It wouldn't surprise me to see KSU win out, nor would it surprise me to see them lose a couple.

So, what do you think, Is K-State really a top 10 team? Or are they a fraud that will be exposed?

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2012, 03:02 PM
As I've commented in another thread, I'm still not a believer in KSU. They are only in the top 10 because they won Saturday and OUr team doesn't belong in the top 10 either. Having said that, it was clear to me that OU still should have won. If we just progress from week to week, OU will finish higher in the rankings than KSU because I don't think KSU has a lot of upside.

oudanny
9/28/2012, 03:38 PM
They are a solid, disciplined, well coached team but I don't believe they are top 10 caliber. This definitely isn't the best team they have had, IMHO. I think they will lose a couple of games. Their defense is average at best.

Fraggle145
9/28/2012, 04:04 PM
Bama would make them their prison bitch. Not a top 10 team.

SoonerAtKU
9/28/2012, 04:06 PM
By that rationale, there are only 3-4 top 10 teams, Fraggle.

Fraggle145
9/28/2012, 04:16 PM
By that rationale, there are only 3-4 top 10 teams, Fraggle.

I'd say there could be 10 teams out there that wouldnt be their prison bitch. Probably still their bitch. But not their prison bitch.

FaninAma
9/28/2012, 04:16 PM
One dimensional with one effective pass play that OU could never figure out.....the crossing pick pattern that led to the crucial 3rd and 12 conversion on their final TD drive.

PLaw
9/28/2012, 04:47 PM
Now that things have cooled off a bit, I thought I'd get everyone's opinion of what kind of team K-State really is. One thing we know if that they're not going to beat themselves. Also, I think this may be the best team they've ever had...essentially the same team from last year, only better. It wouldn't surprise me to see KSU win out, nor would it surprise me to see them lose a couple.

So, what do you think, Is K-State really a top 10 team? Or are they a fraud that will be exposed?

They remind me of the Odessa Permian teams from the 70-80's. Not the best talent, but they get every ounce out of what they have. Very disciplined, play every down at 100%, and never quit. A lot of character and fortitude.

BOOMER

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2012, 05:05 PM
They remind me of the Odessa Permian teams from the 70-80's. Not the best talent, but they get every ounce out of what they have. Very disciplined, play every down at 100%, and never quit. A lot of character and fortitude.

BOOMER

^This. When I say I'm not a believer, I mean that they are not top 10. They are solid 15ish and I admire all those traits you listed. I don't think they would scare a true top 5 team.

mojohornfan
9/28/2012, 05:16 PM
Great analogy....totally agree.

EatLeadCommie
9/28/2012, 05:23 PM
Not that good. We aren't that good, and we pretty much gave the game away. They play hard, but they're the same one-dimensional team they were last year.

And it isn't anything close to their best team. That was Michael Bishop and company back in 1998 (?). That team pulled what the OU 2003 team and inexplicably lost its final 2 games to A&M and Purdue. The Purdue loss I could understand though since they obviously didn't care for falling back into the Alamo Bowl.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2012, 05:43 PM
Not that good. We aren't that good, and we pretty much gave the game away. They play hard, but they're the same one-dimensional team they were last year.

And it isn't anything close to their best team. That was Michael Bishop and company back in 1998 (?). That team pulled what the OU 2003 team and inexplicably lost its final 2 games to A&M and Purdue. The Purdue loss I could understand though since they obviously didn't care for falling back into the Alamo Bowl.

Yes, that '98 KSU team broke my heart. They would have been a better title opponent for Tennessee than FSU that year. They moved the ball at will against aTm in the CCG and just keep making the big mistake that killed themselves. I took that "best team" comment to be in the Stoops era and I'd probably say that was the '03 team, but this squad has a chance.

SoonerOX
9/28/2012, 05:52 PM
I see KSU as a blue collar team that is very disciplined and plays their butts off for 60 minutes. As far as them being a top 10 team, I don't think so talent-wise. However, they play like a top ten team should. I am longing for a return to that will-to-win attitude for our squad.

FaninAma
9/28/2012, 05:54 PM
I see KSU as a blue collar team that is very disciplined and plays their butts off for 60 minutes. As far as them being a top 10 team, I don't think so talent-wise. However, they play like a top ten team should. I am longing for a return to that will-to-win attitude for our squad.

That's because OU allowed them to remain disciplined. I wonder what they would have done if OU hadn't shot themselves in the foot and the Sooners would have taken a 20+ point lead. Would they have stayed with their normal offense? I doubt it. And as soon as they abandoned their QB centered running game I think they would have made some turnovers of their own.

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 08:21 PM
Yes, that '98 KSU team broke my heart. They would have been a better title opponent for Tennessee than FSU that year. They moved the ball at will against aTm in the CCG and just keep making the big mistake that killed themselves. I took that "best team" comment to be in the Stoops era and I'd probably say that was the '03 team, but this squad has a chance.

Yep, I meant the Stoops era. I still think this may go down as their best team (in the Stoops era). They are a tough, gritty, never-give-up bunch, combine that with their propensity to never beat themselves. It's probably way too early to make that claim just yet, so I'll say they have a chance to be the greatest.

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 08:23 PM
That's because OU allowed them to remain disciplined. I wonder what they would have done if OU hadn't shot themselves in the foot and the Sooners would have taken a 20+ point lead. Would they have stayed with their normal offense? I doubt it. And as soon as they abandoned their QB centered running game I think they would have made some turnovers of their own.

I was thinking, what if the turnovers don't happen. That's at least a 28 point swing (just guessing). The game could have ended something like 38-10. There are a lot of assumptions in there, but I thought after we scored and took the lead that two more unanswered scored would put the game away. We just never got that far ahead.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2012, 08:54 PM
I was thinking, what if the turnovers don't happen. That's at least a 28 point swing (just guessing). The game could have ended something like 38-10. There are a lot of assumptions in there, but I thought after we scored and took the lead that two more unanswered scored would put the game away. We just never got that far ahead.

28 points on 3 turnovers? Dang, those guys are efficient - more than a TD/TO. :) I'll admit it could have made that big of swing if it forces KSU out of their game plan and led to a cascade failure.

More realistically (IMO) - if LJ doesn't fumble, we are punting from our endzone and they probably still get 3.
If Bell doesn't fumble, we should get 7. I don't count the 3 they scored after recovery since they started at their own 5.
So there is 11 point swing, but add back 1 more point because we don't go for 2 holding a lead, so 12pt.
Which leads to the deepest cut of all - the LJ pick late in the game. Maybe he doesn't panic with an 8pt lead instead of being behind?

Oh well, the turnovers did happen and you can't expect to have zero turnovers anyway.
And you should also be able to rely on your D to force 1 for the good guys.

Ruf/Nek7
9/28/2012, 08:59 PM
One word: opportunistic. Overrated where they are but still a very disciplined team which is more than what I can say about our Sooners right now.

picasso
9/28/2012, 09:01 PM
2000 was the best team they ever had. With '98 close behind.

85sooners
9/28/2012, 10:16 PM
K-state will bend the sec over!!

8timechamps
9/29/2012, 04:10 PM
28 points on 3 turnovers? Dang, those guys are efficient - more than a TD/TO. :) I'll admit it could have made that big of swing if it forces KSU out of their game plan and led to a cascade failure.

More realistically (IMO) - if LJ doesn't fumble, we are punting from our endzone and they probably still get 3.
If Bell doesn't fumble, we should get 7. I don't count the 3 they scored after recovery since they started at their own 5.
So there is 11 point swing, but add back 1 more point because we don't go for 2 holding a lead, so 12pt.
Which leads to the deepest cut of all - the LJ pick late in the game. Maybe he doesn't panic with an 8pt lead instead of being behind?

Oh well, the turnovers did happen and you can't expect to have zero turnovers anyway.
And you should also be able to rely on your D to force 1 for the good guys.

I said a 28 point swing. Since K-State turned all three turnovers into points, that's 21 just for them. Add in the fumble on the 2 yard line, and that's another 7 we should have had. That would be 28 points. I didn't include us scoring on the other two possessions, or it could have been more like 42 points. It's not really a stretch to come up with the 28 point swing.

Salt City Sooner
9/29/2012, 04:41 PM
I said a 28 point swing. Since K-State turned all three turnovers into points, that's 21 just for them. Add in the fumble on the 2 yard line, and that's another 7 we should have had. That would be 28 points. I didn't include us scoring on the other two possessions, or it could have been more like 42 points. It's not really a stretch to come up with the 28 point swing.
They "only" (if you can call an 88 yd. drive only) got a FG off Bell's TO & while it techinically was off the TO, when a drive gets that long, I personally put more responsibility on the defense than what I would off a more normal (i.e. shorter field) turnover. They had enough time & field to recover than when they did.

9/29/2012, 04:46 PM

BOOMER

Where does that fall in the bitch/prison bitch equation?

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2012, 05:01 PM

I understand, but you're count is still pretty high. They tackled LJ at the 2, I was counting that if he doesn't fumble, we punt from the endzone and they probably get 3 anyway for swing of 4. I'm giving our O full credit for 7 IF Bell doesn't fumble. But they were going to get the ball back anyway and it would have been much nicer had it been on a kickoff, but they would have had 20 yards better field position. So I don't count the 3 they got as part of the swing. In fact it was a missed opportunity for our D to force them to punt from their endzone. It's all pipe dream stuff anyway, because we did turn it over and threw another pass right to Zimmerman who dropped the INT. That was in the redzone and we got 3 on that drive. It could have been worse.

MamaMia
9/29/2012, 05:06 PM
They were killing us with the same plays over and over, all night long. Other teams would have put a stop to that.

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 05:11 PM
K-state will bend the sec over!!

Just like mizzou and sword waving aggie has....

goingoneight
9/29/2012, 07:04 PM
How funny, weird and amazing would it be after all these years if Collin Klein and K-State were to knock off the SEC champion and win it all? Highly unlikely, yes... but I'd root for that. I respect Snyder and the job he's done there.

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 07:08 PM
Hell would have just frozen over though

8timechamps
9/30/2012, 06:38 PM
How funny, weird and amazing would it be after all these years if Collin Klein and K-State were to knock off the SEC champion and win it all? Highly unlikely, yes... but I'd root for that. I respect Snyder and the job he's done there.

IF, by some amazing phenomenon, K-State played the SEC champ in the title game, I think everyone outside of Alabama would be rooting for KSU to win.