PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been push-polled yet?

badger
9/28/2012, 11:23 AM
We have a landline, so we get political poll calls a LOT during election cycles. I usually take these calls for my own amusement.

We had state race locally that came down (1? 2? 4?) votes during a special election (read more here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20120704_336_A1_hrimgs278196) if you care for background). Ever since, we've been getting calls asking about our opinion in this race. I doubt the state House will come down to one Dem or one Pub, but they sure are acting like this is the end-all, be-all race.

Of course, state House dems are in short supply recently. They might be trying to get whatever seats they possibly can, heh

KABOOKIE
9/28/2012, 01:05 PM
I hate phone calls to the house. I hate soliciting phone calls of any nature actually. I usually play a game with them and just tell them something outlandish. I’m a registered (R) and my wife is a registered (D) so we get both parties calling our house line asking for us and when the other is not there they want to talk whoever answered.

I play both sides when they call. The (D)'s are without a doubt the best. It doesn’t take one, "Obama is a moooslum" or "He's out to get our guns" and they start getting all huffy about the world. Really works them over. The (R) callers are usually no fun at all. I mentioned Obama was the greatest president ever and he was protecting my family from corporate greed and the dude on the other end said, "Uuuum OK."

badger
9/28/2012, 01:06 PM
I play both sides when they call. The (D)'s are without a doubt the best. It doesn’t take one, "Obama is a moooslum" or "He's out to get our guns" and they start getting all huffy about the world. Really works them over. The (R) callers are usually no fun at all. I mentioned Obama was the greatest president ever and he was protecting my family from corporate greed and the dude on the other end, "Uuuum OK."

Oh man that's awesome I should try that next time :D

NP had the perfect response for one before the primary -- I'm a registered independent so I can't vote!

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2012, 02:20 PM
I have 350 names on my call list to get to before the election. I hate calling, but it's a necessary evil.

At any rate, what you people are talking about is not "push polling" A push poll is when you call a voter up and you ask a purposely false or misleading question about a candidate without explicitly coming out as a supporter of the other candidate.

For example, if you support Candidate Y a push poll question would be something like this: "Would you be more or less likely to support Candidate X if you knew that every Thursday night he microwaves small infant children and serves them as human veal to the local Cannibal Dinner Club?"

badger
9/28/2012, 04:16 PM
Oh no worries, I've gotten those too. I just mentioned the random poll because that happened last night.

I got called by Robo-Sullivan at least thrice before the primary (that he lost to Bridenstein). I've been called by outta state soliciting services that I've rolled my eyes through. One even had a line read that ended with "important to Oklahoma voters like us." And then I was like "Wait, I have a question... are you an Oklahoma voter?" When she said no I said "goodbye!" and hung up. :D

I should have said "unending political-related phone calls."

I would recommend people stop doing them, because fewer people have landlines than ever, but then you think about people that have landlines: Old farts. And old farts vote vote vote.

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2012, 04:22 PM
They should never ever get out of state callers. I'm convinced that out of state help contributed to Carson's loss to Coburn. Carson and the DNC imported a rather large cabal of out of state volunteers to block walk. They even brought some in as far away as Massachusetts and from what I understand the Massachusetts volunteers going door-to-door in rural Oklahoma did not go over very well.

KantoSooner
9/28/2012, 04:28 PM
Candidate X eats babies!?!

badger
9/28/2012, 04:29 PM
They should never ever get out of state callers. I'm convinced that out of state help contributed to Carson's loss to Coburn. Carson and the DNC imported a rather large cabal of out of state volunteers to block walk. They even brought some in as far away as Massachusetts and from what I understand the Massachusetts volunteers going door-to-door in rural Oklahoma did not go over very well.

I bet not, especially in that district.

Oh wait, are you talking about the Senate race or the House one, cuz Coburn beat Carson in both if I'm not mistaken :D

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2012, 04:41 PM
I bet not, especially in that district.

Oh wait, are you talking about the Senate race or the House one, cuz Coburn beat Carson in both if I'm not mistaken :D
The Senate race. He only ran against Carson for US Senate. Carson took the CD-2 seat after Coburn retired from the House. Carson's first run for Congress was against Andy Ewing (if I remember correctly).

badger
9/28/2012, 04:51 PM
The Senate race. He only ran against Carson for US Senate. Carson took the CD-2 seat after Coburn retired from the House. Carson's first run for Congress was against Andy Ewing (if I remember correctly).

Ahhh... in that case, the Taxachusetts liberals were lucky that they didn't get Westboro'd in McAlester :D

http://www.pjerky.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/westboro_flats.jpg

Yes that happened. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20101114_11_a12_cutlin105145) And they've protested everything involving the state of Oklahoma ever since.

MamaMia
9/28/2012, 04:53 PM
I hate phone calls to the house. I hate soliciting phone calls of any nature actually. I usually play a game with them and just tell them something outlandish. I’m a registered (R) and my wife is a registered (D) so we get both parties calling our house line asking for us and when the other is not there they want to talk whoever answered.

I play both sides when they call. The (D)'s are without a doubt the best. It doesn’t take one, "Obama is a moooslum" or "He's out to get our guns" and they start getting all huffy about the world. Really works them over. The (R) callers are usually no fun at all. I mentioned Obama was the greatest president ever and he was protecting my family from corporate greed and the dude on the other end said, "Uuuum OK."

Thats hilarious. :D

rock on sooner
9/28/2012, 08:50 PM
Oh no worries, I've gotten those too. I just mentioned the random poll because that happened last night.

I got called by Robo-Sullivan at least thrice before the primary (that he lost to Bridenstein). I've been called by outta state soliciting services that I've rolled my eyes through. One even had a line read that ended with "important to Oklahoma voters like us." And then I was like "Wait, I have a question... are you an Oklahoma voter?" When she said no I said "goodbye!" and hung up. :D

I should have said "unending political-related phone calls."

I would recommend people stop doing them, because fewer people have landlines than ever, but then you think about people that have landlines: Old farts. And old farts vote vote vote.

Wait just a damn minute! I'm an old fart, I do have a landline and I give
more crap to live callers than you can imagine, even though they are
volunteers and deserve courtesy. Jus' sayin'...

olevetonahill
9/28/2012, 09:02 PM
Wait just a damn minute! I'm an old fart, I do have a landline and I give
more crap to live callers than you can imagine, even though they are
volunteers and deserve courtesy. Jus' sayin'...

If some one calls uninvited they dayum sure dont DESERVE any courtesy.

Kinda like the JWs coming beatin on my door , **** em, they get what ever Im in the mood to give em.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/28/2012, 10:29 PM
Candidate X eats babies!?!

And killed five hookers.