PDA

View Full Version : Greek House restaurant in transition - For real this time.

Fraggle145
9/28/2012, 09:11 AM
http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x240470636/Greek-House-restaurant-transitioning-ownership

Greek House restaurant in transition

Family is retiring from food service industry

By Doug Hill
The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — “Our business started slowly,” Bill Dimas said. “I remember the first day the Greek House was open, we made $100, which — back then in 1979 — to us was good money.”

Dimas’ parents, Angelo and Helen, were Greek farm workers in the 1970s. They wanted an American education for their son, Bill, and daughter, Sophia. They left Greece for the United States in December 1978.

“Back then, Oklahoma didn’t have any heavy industry to work in, so they decided to open the Greek House in February 1979,” Bill Dimas said. “Ever since, they have been the owners.”

The establishment is on the southeast side of Campus Corner at 768 Jenkins Ave. Their early customers were primarily international students at Oklahoma University. Although ethnic restaurants were not unknown in Norman at the time, they were still considered exotic.

“The Lebanese, Iranian, Egyptian and Indian students liked our spicy food,” Dimas said. “Our menu is the same as back then. The only thing that has changed are the prices.”

Gradually, Greek House developed a broader customer base. Enthusiastic patrons kept coming back for the gyro sandwiches served with a generous pile of fries.

Norman resident Ty Kamm provided significant praise.

“The gyros are better than the one I had in Greece,” he said.

Dimas credited the spicy yogurt sauce with being a big part of their success. The recipe is a family secret.

“I have seen four generations of customers come through this place,” he said. “We’ve had a good, honest family style relationship with these folks.”

Dimas said that being friendly with a ready smile and enjoying work were keys to building the business. Providing a consistent product at a low price also was part of the calculation.

Kent Vanhook, of Norman, has been a Greek House patron for a quarter century. Almost every Saturday, you can find Vanhook and his spouse enjoying the same meal.

“One year, I sent them a Christmas card signed ‘Sandwich with extra, extra tomatoes, half-order of fries and a large Dr. Pepper,” he said. “They knew exactly who it was from.”

Vanhook likes the “mom and pop” aspect of the restaurant that makes him feel like part of the family. On busy days, Vanhook has been known to help out by clearing tables or prepping lettuce back in the kitchen.

“It’s just that kind of atmosphere,” he said.

On OU football game days customers are lined-up out on the sidewalk waiting for a table.

“You see certain regular football fans season-in and season-out,” Vanhook said. “I don’t know their names, but I run into them every year.”

Bill Dimas calls football game days “legendary.” The place is as much a rendezvous place for old friends as an eatery. The family has not ever adjusted their business hours or menu for those busy times, unlike many Norman restaurants.

Bill and Sophia completed university educations in America — Sophia in microbiology at the University of Central Oklahoma and Bill a graduate degree in aerospace engineering at the University of Oklahoma in 1989.

“This restaurant has given our whole family a sense of personal satisfaction,” Dimas said. “It put us through university, which was my parents’ goal.”

He believes they’ll miss operating Greek House because it was part of their lives for so long. Dimas is helping the new owners understand how to maintain their successful enterprise.

“We’re helping them to run the business as we have,” he said.

The plan is for Bill Dimas and his parents to return to their Greek homeland. They have kept close connections to the country by closing Greek House for a month every summer and going back to visit.

“Our customers didn’t like that, but they have been very understanding,” he said.

Sophia is already living in Greece and most of the extended family resides there as well.

“My parents believe it is time for them to retire,” Dimas said. “I think by next summer, we’ll all be back in Greece together.”

First we suck at football. Now this?! Jeezus tapdancing christ. This week blows.

C&CDean
9/28/2012, 09:34 AM

yermom
9/28/2012, 09:38 AM
the new owners better not **** this up.

hawaii 5-0
9/28/2012, 10:10 AM
I heard about this just this week. I loved their Gyros in the 80's.

5-0

Boomer.....
9/28/2012, 10:49 AM
Noooooooooooooo!

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 11:12 AM
This is bull****! Worse than a loss! I have many memories that I can't remember from the Greek House.

KantoSooner
9/28/2012, 04:20 PM
God Damn It!

Denco's and now the Greek House

Pretty soon there won't be place to get drunk food left in Normal.