PDA

View Full Version : Linebacker play (aka where is the new Boz?)

trpltongue
9/28/2012, 03:42 AM
So I just stumbled across this highlight reel of Bosworth.

http://youtu.be/az-vWh_VcuI

Wow, I had forgotten how dominant he was. I know he had some great D-lines in front of him, but his ability to get into the backfield and disrupt plays was unbelievable. How many times did he blow up run plays before the QB could even hand it off! I sure do miss those days of defense, especially in the LB area. Marshall, Calmus, etc. were great backers, but even they didn't bring it like Bosworth.

Obviously he's a different level of player, but we really haven't had a dominant LB crew in the last few years and I think it shows. Perhaps a lot of that is due to the change in the nature of the game to quick passing offenses, but watching our guys get stuck in traffic, let recievers run right past them in the middle, get stuffed on blitzes, and overrun QB's when they do make it past the OL is getting old.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just had to vent.

cleller
9/28/2012, 07:09 AM
Dang he was quick. Easy to spot him in the plays, just look for the blur heading toward the ball.

He did have the advantage of 'roid rage.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2012, 09:02 AM
If he was on a blitz, he really attacked with a vengeance. I noticed a lot of borderline horse collars though - he would have to change technique in today's game.

trpltongue
10/2/2012, 07:18 AM
Agree on both counts. It's just amazing to see him blow up the plays compared to watching our slow developing blitzes now where the linebackers are blocked with relative ease by the running backs. I honestly can't even remember the last time a linebacker blew up a play like that, except maybe when Box stoped OSU on their 4th down try a few seasons back. But even that wasn't as amazing as those Boz highlights.

KantoSooner
10/2/2012, 08:41 AM
I remember one Texas game ('86? '87?) when they had 23 yards total offense half way through the third quarter.
If your seats were close enough to the field, you could actually watch the light go out in their eyes and dull resignation settle in.
It was a great day to be a sooner.

PalmBeachSooner
10/3/2012, 05:27 PM
Boz would certainly be better than what we currently have playing LB but he played in a run first league. Most of the offenses today make it hard for LBers to be overly aggressive.

cyclonesooner
10/3/2012, 08:54 PM
Let me tell you something. We can talk all day about how today's players are playing in a different league and a different style of football, but that son-of-a-gun with his speed and athleticism would easily dominate playing today. That was refreshing watching a LBer play with complete fanatacism yet under control. Very impressive. Easy to see why the 70's and 80's is my favorite era of football.

StoopTroup
10/3/2012, 09:01 PM
Let me tell you something. We can talk all day about how today's players are playing in a different league and a different style of football, but that son-of-a-gun with his speed and athleticism would easily dominate playing today. That was refreshing watching a LBer play with complete fanatacism yet under control. Very impressive. Easy to see why the 70's and 80's is my favorite era of football.

You'd think he would be Coaching how to do that. I would imagine every Dad with money would send their kids to Boz Football U. On top of that....you would think Brian would be Coaching in the NFL. At the very least he should have his own Hair Salon. :D

8timechamps
10/3/2012, 10:25 PM
Here's a name to file away somewhere in your head:

Jordan Mastrogiovanni. He's a 6'2" Inside Linebacker from Dallas Jesuit Prep. He's on the ESPN Top 300 list, and considered the 7th overall ILB in the country. He is committed to OU for next year. I've watched some highlights, and he could be the next big name backer to play in Norman. He's very much from the Mike Stoops school of linebacker recruiting.

We'll have to come up with a nice nickname for him though, cause that's a mouthful.