PDA

View Full Version : good interview from the Boz...luv him or hate him..

Soonerjeepman
9/27/2012, 04:42 PM
it's a good listen..

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2012/9/27/3416778/ou-football-2012-sooners-lacking-in-talent

agoo758
9/27/2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the share, but who hates him?

jk the sooner fan
9/27/2012, 05:34 PM
hard to disagree with his point of view

FaninAma
9/27/2012, 05:41 PM
OU's problem is that they haven't committed to an offensive identity.It's hard for players to develop an attitude about the running game when the coaching staff tries to be a combination of a power running team and a finesse west-coast passing team. I guarantee you that Boise State's coach could get more out of this offense than OU's coaches are.

nighttrain12
9/27/2012, 07:36 PM

Seattle Seahawks fans? Texas and OSU fans? Did he ever come clean about why he flunked that steroid test in college?

sooneron
9/27/2012, 08:17 PM

Pretty much everyone in Cali is sick of him. He pulls the "Don't you know who I am?" at restaurants to get out of tabs and screws people over in his real estate biz.

goingoneight
9/27/2012, 08:55 PM
If you look back at the last five recruiting classes (the classes of players currently on campus), we've lost WAY too many guys. We lived on guys like DeMarco and Ryan Broyles being able to make plays for years while the depth was deteriorating. Name five good tight ends since Gresham was signed in 2006. Eldridge and Hanna were as close as it gets. The countless losses on the offensive line, the underwhelming defensive performances... it takes its toll. In order to "right the ship," the young guys on campus are going to have to get opportunities and make the most of them. It took a full season in 1999, 2005 and 2009 before we had an idea what the "future" was with those teams. There's a good foundation of young talent; but it's thin. The thing about all of those retooling seasons (99, 05, 09) is that we had killer recruiting classes not only those seasons, but the seasons that followed them. A lot of underrated talent was on those teams, too... so don't go panicking about the lack of starpower some recruiting site says we have or don't have. Would you rather have three star Sam Bradford or five star Rhett Bomar? Would you rather have DeMarco Murray, a guy who Pete Carroll said could only be a DB, or any of the running backs Pete Carroll had at USC? Would you rather have three star Ronnell Lewis or five star RJ Washington? The staff needs to be able to keep and develop the depth chart better. We've been top-heavy for years and it stings like a bitch whenever a signature player goes down.

BigTip
9/27/2012, 09:56 PM
From the Switzer part of the article:
"Sometimes you don't want the experienced players coming back every year," Switzer said.

Ouch!

I wonder who he could be talking about. lol

85sooners
9/27/2012, 10:59 PM
Switzer!!

8timechamps
9/27/2012, 11:27 PM
I normally don't give much credence to former players analysis of their former teams, just because unless they are now in coaching, being a former player doesn't really mean you know the inner workings of a team...but in this case, I think the Boz hit the nail on the head about the defense. When was the last time we had a nasty d-lineman? Not a dirty player, a nasty, push it to the brink, in your face type of player? It's not that we haven't recruited the talent, because we have, it's just that I think the Boz is right when he says they seem apathetic.

picasso
9/28/2012, 12:02 AM
Seattle Seahawks fans? Texas and OSU fans? Did he ever come clean about why he flunked that steroid test in college?
Bosworth was one of the best football players to ever set foot on Owen Field. He was one bad *** white boy, I don't care how many roids he started chokin' down to go from 230 to 245.

zeke
9/28/2012, 08:49 AM
Grrrrrrr

I cant get the interview

Is in print anywhere?

Soonerjeepman
9/28/2012, 09:14 AM
not that I know of zeke...

Guess the like em/hate em thing...some folks thought he put disrespect on the program with his book and antics...I always loved his passion...

I liked were the Boz said, if I hit a QB (Klein) he would know I hit him...not just tackled him. Basically letting him know if he ran again I'm lighten him up. lol

sooneron
9/28/2012, 09:24 AM
Do we have a LB that is anywhere near 245? I have a hard time believing Wort being 230 or 6ft tall...

MamaMia
9/28/2012, 09:28 AM
Pretty much everyone in Cali is sick of him. He pulls the "Don't you know who I am?" at restaurants to get out of tabs and screws people over in his real estate biz.Really, because my best friends neighbors cousin said it was because hes a big gossip.

KantoSooner
9/28/2012, 09:31 AM
A couple points on Bosworth:

1. It was obvioius he had done roids at some point. It was also obvioius that he peed in a cup regularly and was 'clean'. They popped him when he was running about 2 quarts low on fluids in the hospital with a bad case of flu, as I recall. Basically wrung him out, got a trace finding and popped him. Not untrue, I'm sure, but it was very much a Boz hunt rather than any sort of regular drug test.
2. He was a very bright guy who figured out that football is an entertainment business. Any wonder his tie-dyed hair do came out about two months after Schwarzenegger's 'Commando'? Bos played that game and won. He didn't make the rules.
3. Always remember that Tony Casillas played in front of him. Casillas was a beast and often ate two OLs. That is the kind of advantage that a highly talented, big, fast LB can turn into absolute mayhem. Not taking anything away from Bosworth, but Casillas deserves love, too.

JLMSOONER
9/28/2012, 09:59 AM
Love him or hate him the Boz had attitude and he could back that sh*t up too.

Curly Bill
9/28/2012, 10:20 AM
If we now had a Mini-Boz he'd be the best linebacker on the team! :)

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2012, 10:22 AM
If we now had a Mini-Boz he'd be the best linebacker on the team! :)

I, and I'm sure quite a few others, once thought Tom Wort might fit that role. I guess it takes more than a certain haircut and some tattoos.

Curly Bill
9/28/2012, 10:24 AM
I, and I'm sure quite a few others, once thought Tom Wort might fit that role. I guess it takes more than a certain haircut and some tattoos.

I never thought he'd be the next Boz, but I thought he'd at least be better than adequate. Its arguable if he's even that.

hawaii 5-0
9/28/2012, 10:32 AM
I'd love to see Wort shed a block once in awhile.

5-0

SoonerinLA
9/28/2012, 10:40 AM
Pretty much everyone in Cali is sick of him. He pulls the "Don't you know who I am?" at restaurants to get out of tabs and screws people over in his real estate biz.

Not true. I live here and have run into Brian on several occasions. He always paid his tab. People here don't care about an OU player from 30 years ago. There are bigger movie stars here too. Brian loves the Sooners are much as any of us. He's not The Boz any more.

Sabanball
9/28/2012, 11:00 AM
I still don't think the Boz has ever gotten over that hit he took from Bo on MNF....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLmpjg4UhdE

That being said, I think he was one of if not THE best LB to ever play at the collegiate level.

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 11:07 AM
I still don't think the Boz has ever gotten over that hit he took from Bo on MNF....

That being said, I think he was one of if not THE best LB to ever play at the collegiate level.

I will never give Bo full credit for that. I still think that would have happened to any LB trying to make a play like that. It's been played up over the years to make it sound like the Boz was coming straight on at Bo, and got railroaded. Don't get me wrong, Bo was a stud.

badger
9/28/2012, 11:18 AM

Not that it's hate and not that he owes fans anything, but I still remember one Red-White game where little 5-year-olds were yelling "Brian! Brian!" at the sideline and he never turned around. They wanted autographs/photos. He didn't even wave to acknowledge the or anything, just continued staring at the field.

Again, I don't think he owes fans autographs or pictures or even a smile, but it was kind of sad seeing the kids ignored.

cleller
9/28/2012, 12:04 PM
Despite all the Boz-mania, after watching the highlight reel on another thread, its plain that there is no one approaching his level of intensity on the team right now.

jk the sooner fan
9/28/2012, 12:18 PM

had that play happened at the 50 yard line or anywhere else on the field - you'd never hear anybody talk about it

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2012, 12:33 PM

That's simple physics - just take 2 objects of similar mass and collide them at that angle to reproduce that play. You could do it with billiard balls. The only reason for a defender to even make the hit in that situation is to try to force a turnover or hope the runner makes a mistake by making a move and stopping his own momentum. Boz and Bo were both studs.

Sooner91ATL
9/28/2012, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=KantoSooner;3519491]A couple points on Bosworth:

1. It was obvioius he had done roids at some point. It was also obvioius that he peed in a cup regularly and was 'clean'. They popped him when he was running about 2 quarts low on fluids in the hospital with a bad case of flu, as I recall. Basically wrung him out, got a trace finding and popped him. Not untrue, I'm sure, but it was very much a Boz hunt rather than any sort of regular drug test.

This is medically not true KS. It was Boz's explanation in his book. The kidneys don't work like he described it. He tested pos because well, he was taking steroids.

I was on campus and on an OU sports team at the time. I saw a lot of athletes doing legal drugs, including steroids, and a lot of athletes doing illegal drugs. Don't forget, there was a high profile coke dealer or two on that team. My number got called 3 or 4 times each season for a drug test and I would always watch these guys **** into a cup and then be amazed when they came up "clean". I clearly saw them doing legal or illegal drugs the weekend before. So the answer is, the staff was covering up for them. No other way. the Boz test must have been a mistake that slipped by them.

The culture back then was much different about roids. Players and coaches alike were using them, and they were available openly and cheaply even on some high school campuses. If you see some video of OU teams from the 80s we look like the east german ladies swim team.

The Boz could have bailed on OU a long time ago but he has stuck by OU and I respect what he has to say, mostly because I agree with it most of the time. Plus he was real badass. He used to drive his jeep INTO the north end of the stadium, driving past the concession boxes UNDER the stands to park and go up to the football offices. Once he jumped out of his jeep and tossed a whole Pizza Shuttle pizza box out his window and a whole pizza flew into the chain link fence outside the entry gate now parallel to the reflecting pool. I was on my way to class and saw the whole thing. When I came back by later, the cheese had dripped and congealed into a kind of smiley face on the fence, and all the striped-clean bread was piled underneath smashed with tire marks, probably from his jeep again. I remember thinking jeez, football players can do anything here. And I was right.

tulsaoilerfan
9/28/2012, 07:07 PM
Not that it's hate and not that he owes fans anything, but I still remember one Red-White game where little 5-year-olds were yelling "Brian! Brian!" at the sideline and he never turned around. They wanted autographs/photos. He didn't even wave to acknowledge the or anything, just continued staring at the field.

Again, I don't think he owes fans autographs or pictures or even a smile, but it was kind of sad seeing the kids ignored.

That's funny cause we caught Brian after a game one time and he signed my son's football for him and was very nice

picasso
9/28/2012, 08:58 PM

Good God here we go again. The most overhyped bull**** play ever talked about on Bosworth.
Did you actually watch the play? He made the tackle. Bo Jackson played at 230 lbs.

btw, Bosworth was a master at making tackles in the backfield.

GottaHavePride
9/29/2012, 12:06 PM
When was the last time we had a nasty d-lineman? Not a dirty player, a nasty, push it to the brink, in your face type of player? It's not that we haven't recruited the talent, because we have, it's just that I think the Boz is right when he says they seem apathetic.

Dusty Dvoracek. Not since then.

9/29/2012, 02:04 PM
Boz gave me a kidney once.

It kicks my other kidney's butt.

85sooners
9/29/2012, 02:25 PM
Here is the boz and don't forget it muther frs!!!!http://youtu.be/az-vWh_VcuI

9/29/2012, 02:46 PM
Here is the boz and don't forget it muther frs!!!!http://youtu.be/az-vWh_VcuI

Holy ...t! Thanks for the Sooner pron.

85sooners
9/29/2012, 03:19 PM
http://youtu.be/RL47m1mQWZQ

JLMSOONER
9/29/2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the memories 85! I remember the Boz being a bad***, but holy sh*t. Dude had some serious anger going on. What I didn't remember was his speed. He da** near took a few handoffs in that video! Wish we had an LB with that intensity or half that intensity. I bet Switzer spent halftime trying to get him down a few notches so he didn't kill someone in the 2nd half!

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 05:06 PM
You can't expect to get recruits by hanging on the Head Coach alone. We can't continue to change out either the OC or DC every 2-3 years. Bob needs some guys like Venables who will stick around. I really had hoped that since we lost a bunch of WRs with our 5th year QB coming back that even if Mike had come back....Brent would have stuck around with Mike. It didn't happen and Mike didn't get a chance to recruit guys that he wanted and the players who were recruited by Brent had to accept Mike and try to make the most of his new approach.

I think if we get through this Season without the monster having another meltdown...Mike will get some time to recruit and Josh will get to see if his recruits and the guys hiding behind Bell and Allen will become the next bunch of Stoops Standouts and the Landry years will have ended and the Mike Stoops Defenses will begin to win us some close games like we were in last week.

9/29/2012, 05:53 PM
Boz must look at that last clip and wonder what could have been if he had the right agent.

picasso
9/29/2012, 10:40 PM
That game on the road when he had his shoes taped and sharpied black was classic. I think it's on the video above but I'll never forget he was making play after play and the crowd started booing him so's he rolls up off a tackle and flips the crowd off. heh

85sooners
9/29/2012, 11:13 PM
One man wrecking crew

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 11:18 PM
Not just that but he was able to get every kid in America to do their hair like he did. He became a Household name in America and maybe even bigger than that. It was unreal.

picasso
9/30/2012, 11:00 PM
That game on the road when he had his shoes taped and sharpied black was classic. I think it's on the video above but I'll never forget he was making play after play and the crowd started booing him so's he rolls up off a tackle and flips the crowd off. heh
@ Colorado, 4:22 mark. heh

Salt City Sooner
10/1/2012, 01:06 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xre3ua_oklahoma-football-legends-reunion-part-2-of-4_sport

He talks about it @ about the 33:15 mark of the link. Pretty funny stuff.

SoonerinSouthlake
10/1/2012, 12:57 PM

anyone who paid money to see Stone Cold

Landthief 1972
10/1/2012, 02:20 PM
Watching his highlight video, you gotta realize that he would be getting a penalty flag every other play in today's games. He horsecollars, facemasks, taunts, and walks on top of downed players. It's awesome to see, but you know he'd never get away with it these days. Hell, I saw one clip where he wrapped up the guy's helmet in his arms and tried to twist it off like a bottlecap! Guess was nasty, and I mean that in a good way. LOL

boomermagic
10/1/2012, 06:20 PM
Love him or hate him the Boz had attitude and he could back that sh*t up too.

Thats a fact !

boomermagic
10/1/2012, 06:21 PM
Not just that but he was able to get every kid in America to do their hair like he did. He became a Household name in America and maybe even bigger than that. It was unreal.

Yep, How ya doing ST ?

boomermagic
10/1/2012, 06:22 PM

Didn't pay money but I liked it.

cleller
10/1/2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xre3ua_oklahoma-football-legends-reunion-part-2-of-4_sport

He talks about it @ about the 33:15 mark of the link. Pretty funny stuff.

The apology he makes here, would make a lot of his detractors drop their hard feelings. Somewhere around 28:00. He's really a darn good speaker.

MountainOkie
10/1/2012, 10:59 PM

I've seen many, many worse movies. (Not saying it was good, but I actually could stand to watch the whole thing.) Also, it had a good villain.

MountainOkie
10/1/2012, 11:02 PM
Repeat. Because it was just so good I had to say it twice. ;).