PDA

View Full Version : The Massachusetts senate race - tomahawk chops, war whoops, Cherokee chief involved

badger
9/26/2012, 11:20 AM
How did it come to this?

r1XpAD8auCY

Let me back up - Elizabeth Warren was born in OKC and claims Cherokee ancestry. She is now "Special Advisor for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau" for President Obama but is the Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate opening in Massachusetts, a highly-contested race.

The Cherokee ancestry claims is apparently now a very hot topic (as you can see in the video above). What Wikipedia says:

In April 2012, the Boston Herald reported that in the 1990s, Harvard Law School had, in response to criticisms about the lack of faculty diversity, publicized Warren's law directory entries from 1986 to 1995, which listed her background as Native American ancestry.[52][53][54] Warren said she identified as a minority in the law directory listing (of the 1980s and 1990s) in hopes of being invited to events to meet people of similar background.[55][56] Harvard Law professor Charles Fried, who had served as Solicitor General in the Reagan administration[57] and sat on the appointing committee that recommended Warren for hire in 1995, said that her heritage was never mentioned and played no role in the appointments process.[52]

The Brown campaign called on Warren to "come clean about her motivations for making these claims and explain the contradictions between her rhetoric and the record". Warren's campaign responded that she was proud of her heritage and denied any wrongdoing.[58] Warren said she had not received any preferential treatment due to her claimed Native American heritage, and stated, "Every single person who has been involved in hiring me has issued a statement to that effect."[59]

The New England Historical Genealogical Society initially announced in May 2012 that it had found evidence for Warren's claims, but later recanted, saying, "We have no proof that Elizabeth Warren’s great-great-great-grandmother O.C. Sarah Smith either is or is not of Cherokee descent."

And now the Cherokee chief is getting involved (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20120926_12_0_Warwho541912), because of what's going on in that video clip above.

Sen. Brown is the incumbent and Warren is the challenger.

KABOOKIE
9/26/2012, 12:16 PM
I think Obama did pretty much the same thing.

Midtowner
9/26/2012, 12:33 PM
Glad to see such an issues based campaign. These staffers are immature kooks who obviously engaged in a bit of groupthink which led them to believe this was okay.

badger
9/26/2012, 12:38 PM
In case anyone else was wondering how the hell liberal Taxachusetts elected a Republican, here's your answer: Ted Kennedy died. Sen. Brown won the final 2.5 years of Kennedy's term in a special election.

KantoSooner
9/28/2012, 04:32 PM
Maine has had Rep reps.
So has New Hampshire
So has New York

The area is not so much reflexively Democratic as it is socially liberal. The zeitgeist is very much old school New England stay-out-of-my-life-I'll-stay-out-of-yours.

The Republicans could win the area back with a return to traditional Republican values.