PDA

View Full Version : Politically mixed marriages - tougher these days?

TitoMorelli
9/26/2012, 11:14 AM
The Marriage Problem That Comes Every Four Years
By ELIZABETH BERNSTEIN

As Isaac Pollak, an ardent Republican, kissed his wife goodbye before heading out on a business trip to Asia several years ago, he handed her his absentee ballot for the coming presidential election and asked her to mail it.

Bonnie Pollak, a Democrat, weighed her options. Should she be loyal to her spouse, respect his legal right and mail the ballot? Or remain faithful to her deeply held beliefs and suppress his vote?

"It was a real dilemma," says Ms. Pollak, 58 years old, a student in a doctoral program in social welfare who lives in Manhattan. "I decided to do the right thing."

Ms. Pollak threw the ballot away.

This might be the toughest mixed marriage to navigate: one between a Republican and a Democrat. Each partner is typically dug in. And—just like the talking heads on cable news—spouses can enter your living room and proselytize 24/7, if they wish.

Of course, the election season, now in full swing, poses a serious threat to relationships between people with different political views. For some, it's a cyclical (think two-year or four-year) peril. When it feels like our entire future is at stake, we often become intolerant of others whose views differ from ours—even those we love the most.

Ms. Pollak says she didn't tell her husband about the discarded ballot for years and doesn't remember how he found out. But when he eventually discovered her betrayal, he wasn't amused.

"I was speechless. I had never missed a vote," says Mr. Pollak, 61, who owns a marketing company in Manhattan.

He says it took him at least a year to stop being irritated, and to this day he doesn't trust his wife of 35 years with his correspondence. "Isn't it illegal to throw away mail?" he still asks her.

How do you keep politics from messing up your marriage—or any relationship for that matter? After all, it's not just politically mixed marriages that will be at risk over the next two months. Plenty of relationships—between friends, co-workers, siblings, children and parents—will be strained before we elect our next president. (Don't believe me? Check your Facebook page. I bet you find yourself disappointed in who "likes" the opposing candidate. Didn't you think your friends were smarter than that?)

Here's the No. 1 rule to remember when it comes to politics and loved ones: You're not going to change the other person. Research shows our political views are formed, in part, by genetics, personality, our family and the community we grew up in....

MORE - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577623521882459012.html

badger
9/26/2012, 11:34 AM
I couldn't do that to NP. Trust is far too important in marriage. And really, how many elections come down to a single vote? Not enough to warrant tossing the absentee ballot. And if it does? That'll just encourage more people to vote in the future. So it's win-win, so long as you do the REAL right thing and don't toss the ballot!

tator
9/26/2012, 02:10 PM
The Marriage Problem That Comes Every Four Years
By ELIZABETH BERNSTEIN

As Isaac Pollak, an ardent Republican, kissed his wife goodbye before heading out on a business trip to Asia several years ago, he handed her his absentee ballot for the coming presidential election and asked her to mail it.

Bonnie Pollak, a Democrat, weighed her options. Should she be loyal to her spouse, respect his legal right and mail the ballot? Or remain faithful to her deeply held beliefs and suppress his vote?

"It was a real dilemma," says Ms. Pollak, 58 years old, a student in a doctoral program in social welfare who lives in Manhattan. "I decided to do the right thing."

Ms. Pollak threw the ballot away.

What a bitch.

Soonerjeepman
9/26/2012, 02:24 PM
no crap.."I decided to do the right thing"..really? b

KantoSooner
9/26/2012, 03:05 PM
I always found such marriages to be of great benefit to me. Mom is a dyed in the wool Dem, Dad equally dead set for the Reps. They'd argue at the dinner table and finally harrumph off to separate corners in the house; leaving me with the unfinished bottle of wine.
WINNAH!

rock on sooner
9/26/2012, 04:22 PM
I always found such marriages to be of great benefit to me. Mom is a dyed in the wool Dem, Dad equally dead set for the Reps. They'd argue at the dinner table and finally harrumph off to separate corners in the house; leaving me with the unfinished bottle of wine.
WINNAH!

Ahhh, yes, proper priorities...

rock on sooner
9/26/2012, 04:24 PM
The "lady" committed a felony, #1, but, more importantly, as Badg said,
breached his trust. Not cool at all...!

Skysooner
9/27/2012, 08:52 AM
I'm with my wife because she is a good person. However, I wouldn't have married her if she had been a hard core conservative. There would have been just too many differences in some of the things that matter in a marriage. We were both moderate Republicans when we met although she was a bit more conservative than I was. She is now much more of a Democrat than I am in many ways. This would have been a huge issue with me too.

hawaii 5-0
9/28/2012, 06:36 AM
People change as they get older and mature.

Well, some do. I sure did. I've seen both sides and now I'm securely stuck in the middle.

5-0

MountainOkie
10/2/2012, 12:41 AM
"Or remain faithful to her deeply held beliefs and suppress his vote?"

Her deeply held beliefs require her not only to vote, but also to suppress his? Which party is it exactly that requires suppression of votes?

TitoMorelli
10/2/2012, 09:40 AM
People change as they get older and mature.

Well, some do. I sure did. I've seen both sides and now I'm securely stuck in the middle.

5-0

Can't read this post without that old Stealers Wheel song playing in my head.

TitoMorelli
10/2/2012, 10:32 AM
Maybe she's a trophy wife--

MOUNT HOREB, Wis. – At first, Jeff Millard was undecided about who to vote for in November.

“I am not particularly happy with Obama,” the retired auto-parts storeowner said of the man he supported in 2008.

His wife, walking beside him on the Military Ridge state trail, overheard him voicing doubt. She let him know it was not an option.

“What about my reproductive rights?” she asked, clearly upset. “No, we are voting for Obama!”

Discussing his uncertainty, the retired couple walked off along the popular recreational trail in this small town, once known for the National Mustard Museum and an obsession with all things related to trolls.

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 10:51 AM
On all the things that matter, my wife and I are on the same page. Neither likes the slaughter of innocent babies, neither likes welfare titty babies, neither thinks the government should be involved in our daily life, neither think Bill or Hillary Clinton have an honest bone in their bodies, neither think Obama should have ever been elected and hope to hell he isn't again, neither can stand the color orange - any shade, and neither think there's a candidate in this year's election worthy of our vote.