PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame getting out of their Michigan series

kevpks
9/26/2012, 10:41 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/notre-dame-exercises-3-michigan-144920298--ncaaf.html

Notre Dame is opting out of its series with Michigan, meaning the last scheduled game between college football's winningest programs will take place in 2014.

I knew they'd be dropping a team with the ACC move, but I'm a little surprised it's Michigan. I hope OU calls Michigan about a home and home. That would be an awesome series.

badger
9/26/2012, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Meatchicken wanted out themselves. They are getting extremely whiny about non-conference away games. With their budget issues and recent stadium expansion, their AD wants as many home games as possible, and Domer home-and-home is probably getting to be less acceptable than, say, Eastern Michigan at the Big House.

And don't expect Meat to want home-and-home with OU for the same reason. I read somewhere that they wanted Texas to be a 2-for-1 rather than home-and-home and UT was like... ummmm.... NO.

Michigan can only cling to their winningest program title for so long. With as much losing as they've done lately compared to some other powers, their lead (which they had quite a few years' head start on the rest of us) is getting narrower.

ouleaf
9/26/2012, 11:08 AM
I think it has more to do with recruiting than anything. Their recruiting presence in the Indiana, Michigan, Illinois area is already going to be strong regardless of if they play those Big 10 teams (Michigan, Mich. St., Purdue, Northwestern). They want to keep those USC, Stanford, Navy rivalries in tact to help recruiting efforts on both coasts.

I'm sure the two will do a home and home periodically, but they just won't be able to do a year in/year out commitment anymore.

Salt City Sooner
9/26/2012, 12:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/notre-dame-exercises-3-michigan-144920298--ncaaf.html

I knew they'd be dropping a team with the ACC move, but I'm a little surprised it's Michigan. I hope OU calls Michigan about a home and home. That would be an awesome series.
Won't be any time soon. If the Nebraska series comes to fruition, our marquee OOC's will be booked through at least 2021, & as Badg said, Michigan has tended to think a little too highly of themselves lately anyway.

It's nice to think about, but I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath on this one.

badger
9/26/2012, 12:22 PM
I think it has more to do with recruiting than anything. Their recruiting presence in the Indiana, Michigan, Illinois area is already going to be strong regardless of if they play those Big 10 teams (Michigan, Mich. St., Purdue, Northwestern). They want to keep those USC, Stanford, Navy rivalries in tact to help recruiting efforts on both coasts.

I'm sure the two will do a home and home periodically, but they just won't be able to do a year in/year out commitment anymore.

Recruiting? Or money. I vote money :D

jk the sooner fan
9/26/2012, 12:57 PM

this - they want that trip to the west coast every year, and didnt want to back out on their long standing commitment to Navy

tycat947
9/26/2012, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Meatchicken wanted out themselves. They are getting extremely whiny about non-conference away games. With their budget issues and recent stadium expansion, their AD wants as many home games as possible, and Domer home-and-home is probably getting to be less acceptable than, say, Eastern Michigan at the Big House.

And don't expect Meat to want home-and-home with OU for the same reason. I read somewhere that they wanted Texas to be a 2-for-1 rather than home-and-home and UT was like... ummmm.... NO.

Michigan can only cling to their winningest program title for so long. With as much losing as they've done lately compared to some other powers, their lead (which they had quite a few years' head start on the rest of us) is getting narrower.

Badger, I agree. Although, UM-ND puts Meechigun in the national spotlight for one weekend a year and that's all they've had for quite a few years now. I just didn't understand how Brady Hoke arrived at Meechigun and they have a winning record and all of a sudden, "THEY'RE BACK!" Of course, Alabama proved that false! With Meyer at TOSU now, I think Meechigan will be lucky to get back to the 2nd best program in the B1G. Not sure they can do it. This will hurt their one weekend national spotlight.

ND wanted to replace a tough game with Wake Forest and/or Duke annually. Hope it hurts both of them!

Salt City Sooner
9/26/2012, 11:33 PM
I think UM will give tOSU all they want w/ Hoke at the helm. The guy has won everywhere he's been, & when your last 2 pre-Michigan jobs are Ball State & San Diego State & you can STILL say that, it tells me he's got a pretty good idea of what he's doing.