PDA

View Full Version : Sooners taking a beating on ESPN

Kadosh
9/25/2012, 06:35 PM
ESPN on a Sooner tear today. Pretty much stating that the Sooners are not prepared for this season and need to get caught up really quickly otherwise it's going to sad season.

Jake Trotter Article (http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8418282/oklahoma-sooners-disastrous-season-improvement-made)

After a loss at home to Kansas State, Landry Jones and the Sooners could be in for a long season.
NORMAN, Okla. -- On his team's opening drive, Kansas State coach Bill Snyder made a peculiar decision.
After an impressive drive, the Wildcats faced fourth-and-1 at the Oklahoma 36-yard line. But despite possessing a quarterback tailor-made for the quarterback sneak, Snyder elected to punt.

And in three minutes, Snyder's game plan became apparent. Don't give OU any breaks -- and wait for the Sooners to shoot themselves in the foot.

The Sooners obliged Saturday night, committing three turnovers that led to 17 points, as K-State exited Norman with a 24-19 victory.
"We just put the defense in bad spots," center Gabe Ikard said. "Kind of uncharacteristic stuff for us there."

But the reality is, such discombobulation is becoming too characteristic of this program. And given the remaining schedule, OU could be teetering on the verge of a disastrous season if rapid improvement is not made.

"I guess we came out there and people were shaky, I don't know," safety Tony Jefferson said. "We just lost focus. You can't go against a top-25 team like that regardless where you're at, home or away."

Guess what? The Sooners have six Top 25 teams left on the schedule.

Seventh-ranked West Virginia continues to look like one of the best teams in the country not named Alabama. No. 14 TCU's defense has been stifling so far. Tenth-ranked Texas might be the most improved team in the Big 12, and No. 11 Notre Dame might be the most improved squad in the country.

The Sooners would have lost to any of those four opponents playing the way they did last night.

"We've got to fight our way through it," defensive coordinator Mike Stoops said. "But I don't think there's anything we can't fix."

But there's much to fix, and not much time to do it.

The Sooners essentially had three weeks to prepare for Kansas State, and yet at times looked like a team that had crammed in its game plan the night before.

The defense alone squandered three timeouts because it lined up wrong. And twice when the Sooners needed a key third-down stop in the fourth quarter, they blew the coverage. On a third-and-12, Gabe Lynn and Aaron Colvin turned Tramaine Thompson loose on a wheel route down the sidelines. The Wildcats went on to score to take the 24-13 lead.

[+] Enlarge
J.P. Wilson/Icon SMIKansas State scored 17 points off the Sooners' three turnovers, including Blake Bell's red zone fumble.

The next possession on third-and-11, linebacker Tom Wort allowed Thompson to cut across the field unscathed for a first down. The Wildcats went on to run out the clock.
"We just got out-executed in the fourth quarter," Mike Stoops said, "and that was really the game."

But while the defense had lapses in the fourth quarter, the offensive turnovers were really the game. Two fumbles and an interception led to 17 K-State points, while also costing OU a touchdown.

The most alarming quote for the rest of the season came from the K-State locker room. Underscoring Snyder's perceived game plan, defensive end Adam Davis noted that the Wildcats "knew" Jones was not good with pressure and practiced all week on flushing him out of the pocket.

"Get to his blindside and he's going to get jittery," Davis said. "When we'd get upfield and start jabbing his feet real quick -- that let us know that he don't like nobody on his blindside, and we tried to attack it all night."

Better believe Texas and Notre Dame and West Virginia are going to watch Saturday's game film and try to do the same. And if Jones and the Sooners don't get right and quick, Kansas State could mark the beginning of a nightmarish season.

Gene Woj... Article (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/BMOC-092512/the-bmoc-surveys-landry-jones-fall-heisman-race-alabama-crimson-tide-more)

20. Whatever happened to ...
Landry Jones.

This isn't going to be a bash session of the Oklahoma senior quarterback. He's getting enough of that from OU followers -- the same followers who probably cheered when Jones announced he was returning to Norman for his senior season.

[+] Enlarge
Matthew Emmons/US PresswireOklahoma QB Landry Jones did not look comfortable versus Kansas State.

But Jones is clearly not the same quarterback he was in 2010 and for chunks of the 2011 season. His numbers prove it. His -- how did the Kansas State defensive players put it? -- "jabbing" feet -- prove it too.

Jones himself said his uneven, error-filled play against K-State at home Saturday night cost OU the game. He underthrew and overthrew receivers. He made poor decisions. Simply put, he seemed to freak out at times.

Wildcats defensive end Adam Davis said afterward that Jones doesn't "deal with pressure … that he'd start jabbing his feet anytime we got close."

K-State linebacker Justin Tuggle, a former quarterback himself, said Jones was "a great quarterback … but we knew if we put some pressure on him he may turn the ball over."

And Jones did exactly that. There was a costly fumble. An interception. And there were missed throws to open OU receivers.

Jones isn't THE reason why the Sooners lost to K-State for the first time at home since 1997. Or why a BCS bowl becomes a much more difficult proposition. OU's defense played an uneven game dotted with key errors, too. And there are issues with the OU offensive line.

But I wonder what those six NFL scouts in the Oklahoma Memorial Stadium press box (one of the few places where there wasn't an invasion of crickets) thought as they watched Jones that night. A season ago, Jones threw for 505 yards against K-State. He entered the 2012 season as a legitimate Heisman candidate.

And now?

19. Jones: Part II
OU coach Bob Stoops has a long history of defending Jones. That's fine. The ninth most-prolific passer in FBS history (13,151 career passing yards) has earned that loyalty from Stoops.

But within the walls of the Sooners' football offices there have to be concerns about Jones' ability to produce in big moments. And if not concerns, then at least the acknowledgment that something isn't right.

Stoops described Jones' performance against K-State as "not very well overall." He could have said the same thing about his entire team -- and he sort of did.

The popular theory among Jones observers is that he hasn't been the same since star wide receiver Ryan Broyles injured his knee last November against Texas A&M. But this is 2012 and Broyles is a rookie with the Detroit Lions now.

Oklahoma will have opportunities to work its way back into the BCS bowl conversation. The Sooners have key games at Texas Tech, in Dallas against Texas, home against Notre Dame, home against Baylor, in Morgantown against West Virginia, home against Oklahoma State and in Fort Worth against TCU.

But it will take a much better Jones -- and a better everything from the Sooners -- to turn opportunity into a bowl game that matters.

"We are not where we need to be by any stretch of the imagination and anywhere where we're capable of being," said OU co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel.

They might want to start soon.

the_ouskull
9/25/2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah. They're not wrong there.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2012, 08:08 PM
Nothing we didn't know, but the critical quote is below. I don't know about WVU, but the horns and ND appear to have the studs up front to limit our run game and force situations where LJ must perform under pressure.

Better believe Texas and Notre Dame and West Virginia are going to watch Saturday's game film and try to do the same. And if Jones and the Sooners don't get right and quick, Kansas State could mark the beginning of a nightmarish season.

Jack T.
9/25/2012, 08:18 PM
Nothing we didn't know, but the critical quote is below. I don't know about WVU, but the horns and ND appear to have the studs up front to limit our run game and force situations where LJ must perform under pressure.

*sigh* 50 years since we beat ND, and I sure thought this would be the year to fix that.

SoonerMarkVA
9/25/2012, 08:41 PM
*sigh* 50 years since we beat ND, and I sure thought this would be the year to fix that.

I guess ND knew what they were doing by putting us off so long for the return game. The best ND team in probably more than 10 years, and one of our likely worst under Stoops.

FaninAma
9/25/2012, 08:54 PM
Be honest. Did you cheer when Landry decided to come back? I was ambivalent.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/25/2012, 08:57 PM
*sigh* 50 years since we beat ND, and I sure thought this would be the year to fix that.preseason I was chomping at the bit to see us finally beat their sorry, over-inflated as*es in Norman, finally. Now, I think I got lucky, and didn't yet buy a ticket.

9/25/2012, 08:58 PM
Be honest. Did you cheer when Landry decided to come back? I was ambivalent.Me too. Actually, I was ready to see a new QB.

hvhurricane
9/25/2012, 09:38 PM
Stoops has quickly become a joke of CFB. As long as he is cashing his giant checks, he is never going to make any legitimate changes.

PLaw
9/25/2012, 09:49 PM

Trajectory. Glide path or Flight plan. Stock up or Stock down. Nothing stays static. It's either improving or regressing.

Bottom line, ND and Texas are getting better and OU is searching for answers.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2012, 10:03 PM
Just curious everyone...

If OU wins the Big XII this year... will you interpret it as we just "out-talented" everyone, or the staff did a great coaching job, or everyone else in the conference just choked and/or wasn't very good? I'm far from a sunshine pumper, but there still is a chance until there isn't... if you know what I mean.

BTW, hv hurricane... that isn't a secret. Stoops said himself he isn't going to change. Read Tramel's article today... Stoops basically states he and staff have won more Big XII championships than any other and he's pretty secure in that they know how to go about it. They'll continue to work to correct the negatives and continue to work to emphasize the positives. I think Tramel nailed it... it doesn't have nearly as much to do with Stoops cashing giant checks as it does his own hard-headed competitive nature won't allow him to admit that he needs to make a change. I think his attitude is he'll be danged if he is going to let anyone else tell him how to get it done. So he will continue to cash those giant checks and do it his way until OTHERS decide the checks he is cashing aren't worth the results.

And Steve, I felt exactly the same way. But, the raw truth of it is going into the season is Landry did give the team the best chance to win. If he were gone and Blake had taken over, the only "known" would have been that Blake most certainly would have had rookie struggles and mistakes. Now all of that may be relative, because maybe the team doesn't have all that great a chance as it is. That is, our results to this point wouldn't really be any different.

The disappointing part for everyone, I think including the coaching staff, is that Landry was expected to break through and perform better than a rookie sophomore. And that hasn't happened yet.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2012, 10:20 PM
Just curious everyone...

If OU wins the Big XII this year... will you interpret it as we just "out-talented" everyone, or the staff did a great coaching job, or everyone else in the conference just choked and/or wasn't very good? I'm far from a sunshine pumper, but there still is a chance until there isn't... if you know what I mean.

If it happens, we'll have to see how it plays out. It won't be "out-talented" everyone because I just don't see how that happens w/o dominate lines. We do appear to have talent at the skill positions and if they start clicking, it will be from a good coaching job. We also seem to have talent in the defensive secondary and that's a big factor in limiting big plays. It looks like Mike has done a good job there. Other teams could choke or they could get bit by the injury bug.

Sigh, you're right about LJ. I thought with the off-season QB consulting and getting in better shape he might take a big step up. And his focus should be there as he only has 1 class. I really think he might be putting too much pressure on himself and trying too hard. Maybe with this drop in the polls, he'll relax about the BCS stuff and just go out and play. His improvement would be the single biggest factor i could think of the elevate this team.

picasso
9/25/2012, 10:34 PM
Stoops has quickly become a joke of CFB. As long as he is cashing his giant checks, he is never going to make any legitimate changes.
Really? How so? Anyone else in this league matched what he's done?

This money logic is really dumber than ****. Try making a point instead of using this stupid hyperbole. Name me a great coach out there right now that isn't making some nice coin.

85sooners
9/25/2012, 11:02 PM
Oh ****

agoo758
9/25/2012, 11:12 PM

I wasn't overly thrilled myself.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/26/2012, 11:23 AM

Nope. And it turned out just as I feared. We lose a year on Blake's development and Landry is still regressing.

I've prepared myself for a 7-5 season.

9/26/2012, 11:37 AM
Nope. And it turned out just as I feared. We lose a year on Blake's development and Landry is still regressing.

I've prepared myself for a 7-5 season.I sort of expect that 7-5, now. If it's better than that, that's a bonus. It doesn't bode well for the cows and domers games, nor the NE hillbillies game, either.

goingoneight
9/26/2012, 11:56 AM
LJ is off to a rough start... but let's be honest, Blake Bell is unproven and we'd still be jumping off bridges if LJ was gone. It's not just the QB. The team is underwhelming everywhere except Sterling Shepard and a decent start by the secondary. We're seeing the end results of what happens when all of our depth transfers, quits or gets suspended that has happened the last few years. It's just like 2005 and 2009.

Jack T.
9/26/2012, 12:05 PM
except in 2004/2008 we went 12-1 and 12-2 and played in BCS games. . .in 2011 we played in the Insite bowl.

SoonerorLater
9/26/2012, 12:10 PM
I was listening to ESPN and they had a segment with Todd Mcshay evaluating Landry Jones. Usually this guy has an opinion whether it's wrong or not. When asked how he would evaluate Jones and what QB he compares to McShay just basically shrugged his shoulders and said he'd never seen a QB quite like Landry Jones. Really nobody to compare him to. They showed a clip of Landry tap dancing in the pocket. I can't see where things are going to change much with Jones. I'm hoping that Josh will figure out a way to at least take the pressure off Landry at the margin. That isn't going to be easy when the offense that you run lives and dies on the QB performance. I don't even want to think about our DL right now.

9/26/2012, 12:16 PM
That one fairly recent preseason week when we lost 5 guys on the OL was EXTREMELY damaging to our performance so far, I contend, and maybe the rest of the year.

9/26/2012, 12:22 PM
"When asked how he would evaluate Jones and what QB he compares to McShay just basically shrugged his shoulders and said he'd never seen a QB quite like Landry Jones."-from ESPeNiS

I don't believe I have either. Certainly not one that is starting in major college ball.

goingoneight
9/26/2012, 12:44 PM
except in 2004/2008 we went 12-1 and 12-2 and played in BCS games. . .in 2011 we played in the Insite bowl.

Well, in 2010 we played in a BCS game, too. Still, that has nothing to do with depth issues and defections.

Soonerjeepman
9/26/2012, 12:48 PM
LJ is off to a rough start... but let's be honest, Blake Bell is unproven and we'd still be jumping off bridges if LJ was gone. .

ummm. no I wouldn't...I would expect some mistakes from a rs soph that I don't expect from a 5th yr 4 yr starter.

Not saying I expect LJ to be perfect but it's WHAT his mistakes are, not that he has some.

Soonerjeepman
9/26/2012, 12:49 PM

nope..didn't moan either, but def was ready to see what Bell could do.

Soonerjeepman
9/26/2012, 12:52 PM
Just curious everyone...

IF, and a BIG IF, OU wins the Big12 it will be because of some coaching, the players getting on sync and the opponents sucking it up for a game or 2. We def will not "out talent" anyone.

BeaSooner
9/26/2012, 12:56 PM
This is beginning to remind my of tu and Gilbert Grape.

Soonerjeepman
9/26/2012, 01:10 PM
guess I had more expectations from a 5th yr/ 4 yr starter. I understand we lost 2 Sr off lineman, several receivers, TE...but it's the thought that he (landry) is pushing and trying to make things out of nothing. I would think he would use a little more cautious approach with new personnel.

FWIW, I'll still watch, cheer, grin and bear it, and wear my OU gear up here in KC..

cleller
9/26/2012, 01:53 PM

Why did we have to wait so long after the 1999 squeaker to get them here? Talk about your peaks and valleys.

Phil
9/26/2012, 02:16 PM
That 99 ND game was a one-shot deal, not a home and home. This game is on a new contract, and we go up there next year.

swardboy
9/26/2012, 03:11 PM
Great. We return TO notre dame with a brand new QB.

9/26/2012, 03:58 PM
Great. We return TO notre dame with a brand new QB.They got the QB we really wanted in recruiting, too. Gunnar Kiel. Don't know if he will play by then or not, though.

cccasooner2
9/26/2012, 04:46 PM

I always laughed at Soonerfans waiting for the messiah, Brent Rawls leading us to the promised land. I never knew he took a snap until I accidently saw him in a Youtube video actually scoring a TD. I guess that does not make me a true Soonefan.

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2012, 05:16 PM

I didn't moan or cheer either. I thought it was probably in LJ's best interest to go. And in general, I don't think it's a great thing for a team to have a 4 year starter at QB. I think the ideal situation is to have guys start their Jr and Sr years and keep a pipeline of experienced guess coming through with better chances for playing time. If you get a guy like Sam, then it would be great to get 3 years from him (no way Sam would have stayed for 1 more). LJ wasn't intended or ready to play in '09, so it's just circumstances he started, but it's not a perfect world.

SoonerStormchaser
9/26/2012, 05:26 PM

I know I didn't.

cccasooner2
9/26/2012, 05:55 PM
I love QB controversies. So, who do you guys (and wimmen) think is takin' it up the a$$ ala Roman Gabriel or James Harris?

bluedogok
9/26/2012, 09:59 PM
ESPN likes to build teams/people up so they can help bring them down.

rainiersooner
9/26/2012, 10:25 PM

I hope you don't pass your dumb genes on to future generations of humans.

HAMTTX
9/27/2012, 03:24 AM
Jeeez y'all 7-5? After one closely contested game? The coach is just cashing checks? Man some of you are pretty spoiled. Sure it was disappointing, and to see a 5th year senior pooch screw the game like that makes it hurt that much more. But as a fan I am not going to cash in the season because a team that beat Miami by 45 snuck by and beat OU at home by 5.

LJ is still going to be the QB, and Stoops has to coach this team up for the next game. Who knows, expectations have changed and maybe they can play a little looser. LJ looked way to tight Saturday, as if he was trying to not make mistakes. Looking back the decision to bring Bell in was a mistake. Should have let LJ finish that drive for no other reason that he establishes the fact he can score, and does not need a gimmick to do so.

This is still a good team, and better than most. I don't know how the season plays out, but man for man they match up pretty well with most teams. Oh, and they still have a damn job to do, and I expect that to be communicated by this staff. No yelling or acting out of control, just do your job. And get ready for the next play.

sooneredaco
9/27/2012, 07:55 AM
Phuck eSPIN! That's all I have...

Bourbon St Sooner
9/27/2012, 08:51 AM

I always laughed at Soonerfans waiting for the messiah, Brent Rawls leading us to the promised land. I never knew he took a snap until I accidently saw him in a Youtube video actually scoring a TD. I guess that does not make me a true Soonefan.

I don't know if Blake Bell is the messiah. I do know that a 4 yr starter is making mistakes that you expect from a guy making his first start. Can we really expect Landry to suddenly have an epiphany after 4 years of the same crap?

goingoneight
9/27/2012, 12:05 PM
That reminds me of those who asked the question: "could Bomar or Thompson really be any worse than Jason White?" in regards to JW's mobility.
Tough deal... but I can't say I'd fault them after four losses or so to just go ahead and get Bell more involved.

possumfat
9/27/2012, 12:26 PM
I think we will moments of exceptional play based on the quality of the opponent, problem with that scenario is we know there are 3 - 5 good teams left on the roster. The level of play has been fully documented over the last four years..................expect 3 - 5 loses. Is what it is!

cleller
9/28/2012, 04:36 PM
This was a particularly nasty barb from "The Picker" at the Daily Oklahoman:

5. Sam Bradford.

Great guy who needs to step it up. And step it over. He needs quicker feet and a snappier release. With all the lousy-players-around-him excuses, you'd think he was still at OU.

hvhurricane
9/28/2012, 06:13 PM
I hope you don't pass your dumb genes on to future generations of humans.

Since you are so smart, then maybe you can explain all of those proactive changes Big Bad Bob has made in his tenure at OU? Now we don't have the talent to play a base offense or defense and out talent the other teams. This is when you find out who can coach. OU got out coached on Saturday night. The old man was making Mike Stoops look like a clown in the 4th quarter. As The Picker stated, why is it that at OU a turnover always leads to the other team scoring? Step up and stop somebody one time.

Jdog
9/28/2012, 11:53 PM
Articles are spot on

hvhurricane
9/29/2012, 07:12 PM
Since you are so smart, then maybe you can explain all of those proactive changes Big Bad Bob has made in his tenure at OU? Now we don't have the talent to play a base offense or defense and out talent the other teams. This is when you find out who can coach. OU got out coached on Saturday night. The old man was making Mike Stoops look like a clown in the 4th quarter. As The Picker stated, why is it that at OU a turnover always leads to the other team scoring? Step up and stop somebody one time.

I guess you can't come up with any proactive changes Bob has made? As the previous poster said, the article is spot on. If you need a more pronounced reality check then you need to read The Picker blogs on the Tulsa World. I don't care if people like him or not, he is spot on. Bob can stay here as long as he wants, but as long as he has the attitude he has, OU will not be a top 5 program anytime soon.

picasso
9/29/2012, 11:19 PM
I'm pretty sure OU is a top 5 program right now.

85sooners
9/29/2012, 11:21 PM

Plexis22
9/30/2012, 02:02 AM
OU has the chance to prove itself over the next few weeks, or fall flat on its face. Tech on the road, a Top 10 (overrated) Texas team and a Top 10 (overrated) ND team at home.

MamaMia
9/30/2012, 02:58 AM
A lot of changes need to be made. I lost track of how many things. Hopefully that will happen because these days, if even 1 thing is amiss, a team could lose.

budbarrybob
9/30/2012, 07:31 AM
Jeeez y'all 7-5? After one closely contested game? The coach is just cashing checks? Man some of you are pretty spoiled. Sure it was disappointing, and to see a 5th year senior pooch screw the game like that makes it hurt that much more. But as a fan I am not going to cash in the season because a team that beat Miami by 45 snuck by and beat OU at home by 5.

LJ is still going to be the QB, and Stoops has to coach this team up for the next game. Who knows, expectations have changed and maybe they can play a little looser. LJ looked way to tight Saturday, as if he was trying to not make mistakes. Looking back the decision to bring Bell in was a mistake. Should have let LJ finish that drive for no other reason that he establishes the fact he can score, and does not need a gimmick to do so.

This is still a good team, and better than most. I don't know how the season plays out, but man for man they match up pretty well with most teams. Oh, and they still have a damn job to do, and I expect that to be communicated by this staff. No yelling or acting out of control, just do your job. And get ready for the next play.

If it were just one game. If we had seen LJ play at a good level. If it wasn't a one man show (Klein) vs K-state. I'd say yeah, its just over reacting. What we are seeing is a cumulative body of work that quite frankly is dissapointing and frustrating. We will be facing much stiffer competition vs ND, UWV, and UT. We haven't won at TT in nearly a decade. Baylor looks good on offense - enough so that I wonder if we could keep up in a scoring fest vs them. Yeah I think a 7-5 season is quite probable.

I didn't cheer when LJ decided to come back either. Didn't think he would be worse than Last year though!

Final note. IF we continue to have below average QB play this season, the last couple of games this year, we will see BB at QB.

PDXsooner
9/30/2012, 10:09 AM
What kind of "game plan" is "Don't give OU any breaks"? Really Trotter? That just sounds retarded. Should n't that be any game plan for any team?