PDA

View Full Version : Stoops is 'OK' with the D giving up 200 yds to KSU

GameWarden
9/25/2012, 08:21 AM
If I heard him right in his press conference he said he thought the defense played well and that 200 yds was about right for a team that ran the ball as much as Kansas???

I think the 'body snatchers' got the real Stoops. This is one is a fake. :chuncky:

Soonerjeepman
9/25/2012, 08:28 AM
honestly, I understand what he is saying...45 times for 200 yrds..BUT I also think he has no pressure to win. He makes his 4 mill no matter what and is set for life. Most folks work and live day to day and the pressure to have something for retirement. His "drive" to be successful has prob been reduced to something more as contentment. Maybe not, but definitely doesn't have to "prove" himself as a top tier coach and knows the reality of it all is it's just a game and these kids are there for school and maybe some will end up in the nfl but most won't. He isn't a Nick Saban, he has always preached there is life after football for his coaches and families. (not that I agree with that 100% but sayin he may see it that way.)

goingoneight
9/25/2012, 08:34 AM
Bob and several other coaches out there make lots of money. I really don't see that changing him much. If he wasn't still competitive, he wouldn't have a bunch of whining media members talking about what a meanie he is in his press conferences.

zeke
9/25/2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah we should get rid of the slacker. He doesnt care.

John L Smith will be available next year. Lets get him.

STUPID THREAD

jk the sooner fan
9/25/2012, 08:49 AM
200 yards from a team like KSU? yeah i'd take that every week...hell yes, i think you're being way too dismissive of a WELL coached team with VERY good athletes

olevetonahill
9/25/2012, 08:52 AM
Ok Heres the stats from Sooner Sports
KSU 228 yds Rushing 154 Passin. total net yards 377
Not Too shabby IMHO

Soonerjeepman
9/25/2012, 09:00 AM
didn't we actually out gain them?

jk the sooner fan
9/25/2012, 09:02 AM

yes, we also out turnovered them too

jk the sooner fan
9/25/2012, 09:03 AM
double post

olevetonahill
9/25/2012, 09:04 AM

sompun like 20 more yards
The 3 TOs Killed us

olevetonahill
9/25/2012, 09:08 AM
The 3 TOs Killed us

Looks like we only got 92 Net yards rushing and 304 passin. total 396 Not acceptable IMHO

kevpks
9/25/2012, 09:55 AM
I agree. This team needs 150 yards plus rushing to win consistently. I don't typically question who starts and sits, but I would have thought Damian Williams would have had around 20 carries. He seems to be our best back.

sooneron
9/25/2012, 10:03 AM
I agree. This team needs 150 yards plus rushing to win consistently. I don't typically question who starts and sits, but I would have thought Damian Williams would have had around 20 carries. He seems to be our best back.

Regardless of who is running the ball, it also helps to keep running it when it's working...

cccasooner2
9/25/2012, 10:04 AM

http://static3.depositphotos.com/1000350/153/i/450/dep_1533951-All-Right.jpg

badger
9/25/2012, 10:05 AM
I would have been OK with giving up 2,000 if it resulted in us winning the game.

The only yard I had a problem with them giving up was the Calvin Klein run that gave KSU a first down and allowed the catwilds to take knees to end the game :(

badger
9/25/2012, 10:06 AM
John L Smith will be available next year. Lets get him.

Smile. SMILE!

:les: OR ELSE I'M NOT TALKING! [hairGel]

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2012, 10:39 AM
I would have been OK with giving up 2,000 if it resulted in us winning the game.

The only yard I had a problem with them giving up was the Calvin Klein run that gave KSU a first down and allowed the catwilds to take knees to end the game :(

I'm with you - just have to win. The D gave up 17pts and we should win 95+% of the time when that happens. The offense only scored 19 minus the 7 they gave away directly for a net of 12. They only scored 6 points in the first 3 trips to the red zone.

But the only yards I had problems with giving up were the 12 we gave up on 3rd and 11 on a passing play on the last possession. 3rd and 11 is a big advantage to the defense, but especially when facing a run-first team that is forced to pass. Klein sat back in the pocket with ZERO pressure and just waited for a slow developing route to get open. Argh.

bluedogok
9/25/2012, 10:41 AM
People longing for defensive stats resembling the 1985 defense are in for a shocking revelation, it's no longer 1985 and Kansas State is no longer the worst team in the nation like they were in 1985. More teams than just BYU or Houston run high powered offenses, in fact most teams run some form of a high powered offense anymore, some pass a lot, some run a lot. Odds are the final defensive stats at the end of the year will never approach what most of the top defensive teams in the 80's will be. Right now Texas Tech is #1 in total defense, but they have played three nobodys that are offensively challenged (Northwestern Louisiana State, Texas State and New Mexico). Just a fact of life in the way the game is played now.

Soonerjeepman
9/25/2012, 10:42 AM

yup...I was being a bit sarcastic on the yardage ;-)

I agree with Badg, like most I'm sure...who cares about yrds, just win.

EatLeadCommie
9/25/2012, 12:08 PM
Defense played fine. Certainly well enough to win the game. It's not like this is the Venables era where people think our D played well even though we gave up 500 yards (see the UF game).

Widescreen
9/25/2012, 12:32 PM
yup...I was being a bit sarcastic on the yardage ;-)

I agree with Badg, like most I'm sure...who cares about yrds, just win.
I guarantee you that if we had won by 1 point and given up 800 yards of offense, people would be complaining.

sooner94
9/25/2012, 12:43 PM
The 3 TOs Killed us

Yep. Not sure what the % is, but I bet when you lose the TO battle 0-3 against a top 25 team, you won't win very often.

Hell, if we only turn it over twice we probably still win.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2012, 02:20 PM
Yep. Not sure what the % is, but I bet when you lose the TO battle 0-3 against a top 25 team, you won't win very often.

Hell, if we only turn it over twice we probably still win.

The 0-3 loss in the turnover colunm is worrisome in both ways. 3 is a bad number, but it's tough to have 0. But an elite team will almost always force a TO or 2 and we forced 0. The only way that should happen is if they get real lucky and a couple of fumbles bounce back to them. I don't remember any near turnovers forced by on our D, but I do recall a dropped INT the first time LJ threw to Zimmerman, so it could have been even worse.

I guess the one bright spot is that we indeed would have won (most likely) giving away just 1 less TO and almost certainly if the TO count was even.

budbarrybob
9/25/2012, 03:39 PM
We don't have: dominant def. Consistent play from QB.

And Saban makes more than Stoops therefore he must be more content...

Breadburner
9/25/2012, 04:21 PM
3 turnovers 1 for a touch-down....1 resulted in a field-goal another cost us....Plus you're putting your D right back on the field.....No turnovers its a W and most people aren't bitching.....

boomermagic
9/25/2012, 04:40 PM
Defense played fine. Certainly well enough to win the game. It's not like this is the Venables era where people think our D played well even though we gave up 500 yards (see the UF game).

This loss was on the offense and Bob Stoops. Bob is responsible for the team.

GameWarden
9/25/2012, 04:58 PM
Alright. I'm not saying the loss is on the D. The turnovers are clearly the reason OU lost the game. My problem is that Stoops is 'OK' with allowing K-state rushing for 200 yds. I understand he is saying that very few people will stop them from gaining that much yardage.
Here's my point. Landry had one of his 'games' and we needed the defense to win the game for us. They were unable to do so. Maybe most teams won't hold K-state to under 200 yds rushing but if I was Bob Stoops I wouldn't be satisfied that my team was unable to do it.

mainline13
9/25/2012, 05:20 PM

I don't question it either - but then I don't always see everything that happens away from the ball. I know that "the best RB" isn't necessarily the best with the ball in his hands; he's got to block, pick up a blitz, catch a pass, etc. It's similar for other positions. None of them are easy. If it were easy, everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great.

And then there is the Game Day player who doesn't practice well, but really brings it for the game. As soon as you ignore his bad practices to get him on the field, though, everyone else on the team will quit practicing hard, too. After all, each and every one of them probably believes that he "brings it," too. But if your team starts to take practice less seriously, then they won't be showing up on Saturday, either. At least not in a good way.

By the way, there are a whole lot of posts on the message board to which this reply would have been appropriate. I don't want you to think I singled yours out - it just happened to be the one I read when I had the time to reply.

East Coast Bias
9/25/2012, 05:49 PM
My only complaint with the defense was at the end of the game. We punt to them with 4 minutes left and the defense lets them get enough first downs to run out the clock? Regardless of what happened earlier in the game, everything was on the line right there and we couldn't get the ball back. I understand they were worn down, but that was the time to suck it up and play defense.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2012, 07:58 PM
My only complaint with the defense was at the end of the game. We punt to them with 4 minutes left and the defense lets them get enough first downs to run out the clock? Regardless of what happened earlier in the game, everything was on the line right there and we couldn't get the ball back. I understand they were worn down, but that was the time to suck it up and play defense.

That was my only complaint on defense as well, but I aim it at the coaches. If the players are really gassed, they can only do what their bodies can do. But the coaches can put in fresh legs and call more aggressive plays. I understand limiting risk during the rest of the game by not blitzing or not putting in less experienced players. But when the situation gets down to either getting a stop or the game is over, taking risks is warranted. Sure you might get burned for a big play by bringing the house or having a fresh, but inexperienced player make a mistake. But in that situation, giving up a 1st down is just as bad as giving up a score, so at least make it hard on them with pressure.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/25/2012, 10:12 PM
If I heard him right in his press conference he said he thought the defense played well and that 200 yds was about right for a team that ran the ball as much as Kansas???

I think the 'body snatchers' got the real Stoops. This is one is a fake. :chuncky:

If I hadn't seen the game, and someone told me our defense held KSU to 200 yards and 17 points (which they did) I would have done cartwheels thinking we had won this one going away and that the defense played awesome.

Sorry, not biting on this one. This loss gets pinned 100% on the offense IMO. Even the "4th quarter letdown" was a result of the offense's inability to take control of the game leaving the d on the field far too long.