PDA

View Full Version : Jeep folks?

8timechamps
9/24/2012, 08:27 PM
Anybody here a Jeep person?

I have a '98 Wrangler Sport that's been in the garage for most of the past 5 years. That's going to change soon. I've decided it's time to 'fix it up' and get it out on the trails. Thought if there is a Jeep person or two here, we could discuss some modifications.

pphilfran
9/25/2012, 04:55 AM
Budget?

Use?

8timechamps
9/25/2012, 04:36 PM
It'll be a trail vehicle, not a rock crawler though. I also want to be able to drive it on weekends in the winter, that kind of thing. It sits pretty stock right now, with the only additions be 31" tires. Mechanically, it's great, but I'm looking at doing rock sliders, a 2" lift (no re-gearing though), possibly switch to a Dana 44 rear (at which point, the thought of not re-gearing goes out the window), etc.

No real budget, but under 10k probably.

pphilfran
9/25/2012, 05:08 PM
Do the Dana 44 and slap in an air locker...

31's should be enough tire...

Put lots of protection on the bottom side....

8timechamps
9/25/2012, 09:04 PM
Do the Dana 44 and slap in an air locker...

31's should be enough tire...

Put lots of protection on the bottom side....

I've heard a lot of positives about the locker, I'll add that to the list. I'm going to add a winch too... because I'm sure to get stuck if I don't.

pphilfran
9/26/2012, 01:49 PM
A winch can be a necessity...plus they look good...get an 8,000 pull and buy one of the accessory bags...they will usually include gloves, snatch block. shackle, and a nylon tree strap...I have always used Warn...

pphilfran
9/26/2012, 01:51 PM
With the air locker you will also have on board compressed air...add a couple of T's to the compressor line and you can have an air quick disconnect at each end of the Jeep...

8timechamps
9/26/2012, 03:58 PM
Good info pphilfran! Ordered a shat load of stuff from Quadratec today, hoping to have some of by this weekend...a project will keep me out of the shopping scene with the woman, and it's a bye week.

GDC
9/26/2012, 07:08 PM
I've got an 86 CJ7 sitting in the garage I would like to get moving again.

yermom
9/26/2012, 07:56 PM
i learned to drive stick in a Jeep. i've always wanted one.

i want some of these: http://www.atomicaxle.com/

8timechamps
9/27/2012, 07:10 PM
I've got an 86 CJ7 sitting in the garage I would like to get moving again.

Do it man! What do you need to get it going again?

8timechamps
9/27/2012, 07:15 PM
i learned to drive stick in a Jeep. i've always wanted one.

i want some of these: http://www.atomicaxle.com/

When I was a kid, I always wanted one. As I got older and started making money, I always opted for a practical car (like an SUV, with room for the kids) or a car I could use on the weekends (Truck). When I was finally able to buy a car "for fun", I got the TJ. Originally, I was going to modify it to my liking right away, but weeks turned to months, months to years...and so on. I was going to give it to my oldest son when he started driving, but he didn't want it. He wanted a truck, so we went that route. My youngest son loves the Jeep, and has already told me he wants it. I figure if I'm going to mod it, he might as well get it...at least that's how I justify it in my mind.

GDC
9/28/2012, 06:35 PM
Do it man! What do you need to get it going again?

It's in pretty good shape and almost completely stock, just needs new tires and a new motor, I think. Funds are the issue for me.

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 08:37 PM
It's in pretty good shape and almost completely stock, just needs new tires and a new motor, I think. Funds are the issue for me.

If you're going to do the stuff yourself, Craigslist is great. One of the best things about Jeeps is that the possibilities are endless!

Killerbees
9/30/2012, 02:31 AM
I have a 79 CJ7 that runs better than any jeep I have ever driven. I have done the research and sourced the parts to do a throttle body fuel injection swap on it. The current carb has issues above 11,000 ft, the float apparently swells and starts sticking and winds up starving it for fuel.

I am now considering selling it since I dont get up to Colorado enough anymore.

8timechamps
9/30/2012, 06:46 PM
I have a 79 CJ7 that runs better than any jeep I have ever driven. I have done the research and sourced the parts to do a throttle body fuel injection swap on it. The current carb has issues above 11,000 ft, the float apparently swells and starts sticking and winds up starving it for fuel.

I am now considering selling it since I dont get up to Colorado enough anymore.

I've heard of this issue. The club I associate with has a little over 200 members, and I've heard this issue come up. Seems like it's always been with the CJs, and since I don't really know anything about the CJs (or the differences in the TJ/CJ engines), it's always been kind of Greek to me.

Mod Update:

I got my old rear axle out this weekend, but didn't get to pick up the Dana 44, so it's basically sitting with nothing on the rearend. I'm gonna get the Dana sometime this week, so I'll hopefully have it in Friday night. Took the milkjugs off both the rear and front bumpers, now I just need to cap them and put the light bar/grill guard on.

C&CDean
9/30/2012, 07:27 PM
Heh. I drove a brandy new 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport to Austin yesterday. In the rain. The largest/biggest/massivest POS vehicle I've ever had the displeasure to drive. No power, all over the road, hydroplaning while semis and Yugos ran past it. It better rock in the dirt, cause on the road, major, MAJOR POS. But I've already told y'all this. For damn near 15 years now.

SicEmBaylor
9/30/2012, 07:32 PM
Heh. I drove a brandy new 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport to Austin yesterday. In the rain. The largest/biggest/massivest POS vehicle I've ever had the displeasure to drive. No power, all over the road, hydroplaning while semis and Yugos ran past it. It better rock in the dirt, cause on the road, major, MAJOR POS. But I've already told y'all this. For damn near 15 years now.
We have as opposite tastes in vehicles as two human beings could ever possibly have.

C&CDean
9/30/2012, 07:56 PM
We have as opposite tastes in vehicles as two human beings could ever possibly have.

I passed through your fine city (Whacko) twice yesterday. Raining like hell. And if you were driving the POS Jeep I took down, you'd have ended up in Cabo San ****ing Lucas there Geography Boy. I cannot tell you what a pleasure it was to get into a 2007 Saturn (some POS SUV) and start driving back through the rain. That just shows you how bad a Jeep actually is. An 07 Saturn with a 100K miles rode like a ****ing Cadillac compared to the Jeep. And the tires were worn slick. And about a half-dozen dash lights were on. I ain't lying either.

olevetonahill
9/30/2012, 07:57 PM
Hey, I bet you wouldnt drive an Orange VW bug nor ride a Moped either would ya .:drunk:

SicEmBaylor
9/30/2012, 09:15 PM
Hey, I bet you wouldnt drive an Orange VW bug nor ride a Moped either would ya .:drunk:
IT WAS A SCOOTER NOT A MOPED!

And you forgot about my Miata.

C&CDean
10/1/2012, 01:23 PM
That too. Either.

pphilfran
10/1/2012, 01:28 PM

1. I would never have one as my primary vehicle...
2. Only a real man can appreciate a Jeep...

C&CDean
10/1/2012, 02:18 PM
1. I would never have one as my primary vehicle...
2. Only a real man can appreciate a Jeep...

3. Or a girly-man who needs a very small penis extension?

I drove them in the Army. I drove them after the Army. I worked on them for several years as a mechanic with the USPS. I know more about Jeeps than most. The old 232 and 258 in-line 6's were the ****. Everything they've built since about 1980 or so is a POS. Junk. Not worth owning. Unless you have one that you trailer to off-road events. That is the only thing they're good for - but I'd still rather have an old Willys or Landcruiser.

That being said, they've come a very long way with the new Grand Cherokees. I still wouldn't own one, but compared to the GC's of years past? Lightyears better.

Soonerjeepman
10/1/2012, 02:21 PM
Hey 8time...my bro just moved to Boulder...we are jeepers, I have a 97 TJ with 8in lift, 37" tires, ford 9 rearend, d44 up front, full cage, sliders, winch, etc...we go wheelin around Manhattan Ks, Grand Lake and Clayton Okla...

I can give ya his number...

** add on, bro had an older bronco with unimogs, 44's etc...strictly trail rig...bought a Cherokee with lift etc...just sold it and bought a newer JK.

C&CDean
10/1/2012, 02:32 PM
Why do Jeepers have to start/end every conversation with "I got a xxxx CJ with a Dana locker?" Heh. One of my kids is a Jeep nut.

Soonerjeepman
10/1/2012, 02:34 PM
look at www.pirate4x4.com

good stuff for sale, and advice...BUT don't go to hardcore section..unless you are really hardcore, those guys will make this forum look like candy. lol

my biggest advice is a locker on front and rear...obviously some height is ok, but gearing and lockers are the biggest thing, imho.

Soonerjeepman
10/1/2012, 02:34 PM
Why do Jeepers have to start/end every conversation with "I got a xxxx CJ with a Dana locker?" Heh. One of my kids is a Jeep nut.

I didn't...;-)

pphilfran
10/1/2012, 05:03 PM
Why do Jeepers have to start/end every conversation with "I got a xxxx CJ with a Dana locker?" Heh. One of my kids is a Jeep nut.-

I don't know....but if I had a Jeep it would have a Dana locker...

pphilfran
10/1/2012, 05:10 PM
Hey 8time...my bro just moved to Boulder...we are jeepers, I have a 97 TJ with 8in lift, 37" tires, ford 9 rearend, d44 up front, full cage, sliders, winch, etc...we go wheelin around Manhattan Ks, Grand Lake and Clayton Okla...

** add on, bro had an older bronco with unimogs, 44's etc...strictly trail rig...bought a Cherokee with lift etc...just sold it and bought a newer JK.

You ain't gonna break a Ford 9"

C&CDean
10/1/2012, 05:11 PM
You ain't gonna break a Dean 9" either.

pphilfran
10/1/2012, 05:13 PM
lol

hawaii 5-0
10/1/2012, 05:14 PM
My wife had a Grand Cherokee. It had electrical problems.

We got rid of it.

5-0

pphilfran
10/1/2012, 05:42 PM
My wife had a Grand Cherokee. It had electrical problems.

We got rid of it.

5-0

Was it solar powered?

hawaii 5-0
10/1/2012, 07:27 PM
Was it solar powered?

Uh, no. I think it was a '98.

5-0

olevetonahill
10/1/2012, 08:20 PM
3. Or a girly-man who needs a very small penis extension?

I drove them in the Army. I drove them after the Army. I worked on them for several years as a mechanic with the USPS. I know more about Jeeps than most. The old 232 and 258 in-line 6's were the ****. Everything they've built since about 1980 or so is a POS. Junk. Not worth owning. Unless you have one that you trailer to off-road events. That is the only thing they're good for - but I'd still rather have an old Willys or Landcruiser.

That being said, they've come a very long way with the new Grand Cherokees. I still wouldn't own one, but compared to the GC's of years past? Lightyears better.

Id love to find an Old 1/4 ton. They were the shiznit

SicEmBaylor
10/1/2012, 09:35 PM
I'm kind of intrigued by those new Fiats.

C&CDean
10/2/2012, 09:44 AM
I'm kind of intrigued by those new Fiats.

They're you. Them and smart cars. Both under-powered wimpy POS.

pphilfran
10/2/2012, 12:31 PM
They're you. Them and smart cars. Both under-powered wimpy POS.

The Fiat 500 Abarth has 160 hp...still an ugly shoebox made by Fiat...

cpi2IAec9Ho

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 01:43 PM

I wouldn't touch a newer Jeep. Also, the very last automobile I would ever want to take a road trip in is a Jeep. There is nothing comfortable about it. Now, for trails and snow, I wouldn't take anything else. I've had a Chevy Avalanche, Silverado and a Ford F150, all four wheel drive. I would take the Jeep over all three in the snow every time.

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 01:46 PM

PM me his number. It's going to be a while before this thing is trail ready, but when it is, I plan to break everything on it!

olevetonahill
10/2/2012, 04:18 PM
PM me his number. It's going to be a while before this thing is trail ready, but when it is, I plan to break everything on it!

Includin Yer neck

8timechamps
10/2/2012, 05:56 PM
Includin Yer neck

You sound like my woman :O. My balls aren't big enough to put myself in real danger.