PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine & Kool Aid

8timechamps
9/24/2012, 08:15 PM
I do call myself a sunshine pumper, and it's mostly just to point fun at my endless exuberance for the Sooners. I've lived long enough to know it's never as bad as some folks think, and it's never as good as we all want it to be (with maybe the exception of the national title years). I don't buy into the claims that there is fundamental problems within the program, recruiting is a problem, or that Stoops has lost it/isn't the coach he once was. If you you believe those things, and it helps you sleep, have at it. I just don't happen to share those feelings.

Here's what we know for sure:

1. We are 2-1. Unless KSU can go unbeaten, the goal of a Big XII title is still in-tact.
2. Landry Jones has the ability to be as good (if not better than) anyone in the country. We've seen him do it.
3. No matter how bad you feel after the loss, you don't feel anything like the players and coaches.
4. Regardless of how you see it in your mind, you are not a better coach/coordinator than Stoops and his staff.
5. We have a bye week, and then 10 straight games. A lot of football left to be played.

Here's what I believe to be true:

1. This team has the talent and ability to beat anyone on our schedule. If the little things can be cleaned up, I really believe we will be in every game, with a chance to win at the end.
2. Landry will figure it out. IMO, most of what is going on with Landry is mental. He knows what he's done wrong, and he knows what he's capable of doing. I think he will figure it out.
3. There are some great players on this team, and they will only get better. Sterling Sheppard come to mind, but there are others. We are not hurting for talent.
4. Stoops will do everything in his power to win every game the rest of the year. Personally, I don't think this has ever been an issue.
5. We are still among the very few elite programs in the country. Bob Stoops is responsible for the past 13 years. He's done a pretty damn good job of getting the Oklahoma program back to prominence. I have no reason to think that has changed because we lost to KSU.

Soonerus
9/24/2012, 08:34 PM
Amen...

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2012, 08:43 PM
I beg to differ with one thing...

I know I can coach an OL with the talent OU has better than Kittle and Patton.

Those two coaches are in way over their heads!

Now recruiting, I'm not so sure about!!!

8timechamps
9/24/2012, 08:45 PM
I beg to differ with one thing...

I know I can coach an OL with the talent OU has better than Kittle and Patton.

Those two coaches are in way over their heads!

75, you know I love you, but if you could coach the OL line better than Kittle and/or Patton, you probably wouldn't be posting on SF.com.

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2012, 08:49 PM
8time....

May I ask you:

Do you feel it is fair to make players run a system that they can't run? Do you feel that the coaches should mold the scheme towards what the players can do?

I know developing is part of their jobs, but we seem to have a QB that can't handle the pressure so why no devise a scheme that would make him a bigger threat? I think Landry would flourish even better in a prostyle offense with a power running and play action approach, do you?

tycat947
9/24/2012, 08:52 PM
I do call myself a sunshine pumper, and it's mostly just to point fun at my endless exuberance for the Sooners. I've lived long enough to know it's never as bad as some folks think, and it's never as good as we all want it to be (with maybe the exception of the national title years). I don't buy into the claims that there is fundamental problems within the program, recruiting is a problem, or that Stoops has lost it/isn't the coach he once was. If you you believe those things, and it helps you sleep, have at it. I just don't happen to share those feelings.

1. We are 2-1. Unless KSU can go unbeaten, the goal of a Big XII title is still in-tact.
2. Landry Jones has the ability to be as good (if not better than) anyone in the country. We've seen him do it.
3. No matter how bad you feel after the loss, you don't feel anything like the players and coaches.
4. Regardless of how you see it in your mind, you are not a better coach/coordinator than Stoops and his staff.
5. We have a bye week, and then 10 straight games. A lot of football left to be played.

1. This team has the talent and ability to beat anyone on our schedule. If the little things can be cleaned up, I really believe we will be in every game, with a chance to win at the end.
2. Landry will figure it out. IMO, most of what is going on with Landry is mental. He knows what he's done wrong, and he knows what he's capable of doing. I think he will figure it out.
3. There are some great players on this team, and they will only get better. Sterling Sheppard come to mind, but there are others. We are not hurting for talent.
4. Stoops will do everything in his power to win every game the rest of the year. Personally, I don't think this has ever been an issue.
5. We are still among the very few elite programs in the country. Bob Stoops is responsible for the past 13 years. He's done a pretty damn good job of getting the Oklahoma program back to prominence. I have no reason to think that has changed because we lost to KSU.

Good post! I agree.

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2012, 08:53 PM
75, you know I love you, but if you could coach the OL line better than Kittle and/or Patton, you probably wouldn't be posting on SF.com.

Let me first start by saying: I played the OL for 13 years of my life.
I played in college as an OT.
I have also coached the OL and DL in college for 5 years.
I have coached the OL in high school for 3 years.
I currently serve as a OL coach at the junior high lvl.

All that is more of an impressive resume than Kittle.

And as far as Patton goes, he looked good under K. Wilson. Because K. Wilson was a brillant OL coach, so he (PattonL didn't have the same responsibilities as he does now without K. Wilson.

Maybe its my ego, but yes, I know I can coach the OL better than what I have seen from .kittle and Patton.

SOONER44EVER
9/24/2012, 09:02 PM
Let me first start by saying: I played the OL for 13 years of my life.
I played in college as an OT.
I have also coached the OL and DL in college for 5 years.
I have coached the OL in high school for 3 years.
I currently serve as a OL coach at the junior high lvl.

All that is more of an impressive resume than Kittle.

And as far as Patton goes, he looked good under K. Wilson. Because K. Wilson was a brillant OL coach, so he (PattonL didn't have the same responsibilities as he does now without K. Wilson.

Maybe its my ego, but yes, I know I can coach the OL better than what I have seen from .kittle and Patton.

I've never seen you coach, but I don't know how you could possibly do worse.

5noubus
9/24/2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the glimmer of hope! I've had my sad sooner pic of my daughter up-I guess I should move on.

BigTip
9/24/2012, 11:35 PM
It's fine to pump a little sunshine, but there's nothing wrong with being a realist too.

85sooners
9/24/2012, 11:41 PM

Blue
9/24/2012, 11:42 PM
Whatever dude. I like you as a voice of reason, but this act is just dumb.

Our team is consistently average. We play in a conference that we should dominate. Yes I'm talking about the last 4 years.

Other programs are winning and winning big. We are not. Im tired of watching this team and Im tired of apologetic fans like you.

I'm tired of Landry Jones Droopy Dog BS and I cant wait till we get some players that care and some coaches that coach!

agoo758
9/25/2012, 12:14 AM
[QUOTE=8timechamps;3518325]
[QUOTE]

It's funny you say that. My Dad once told me the following:

"The fans take it harder than the players or coaches..... while the players and coaches are certainly dissapointed, they have the satifcation of leaving it out on the field knowing that they gave it their all and have made themselves better for it, the fans on the other hand, have nothing to hold on to but dissapointment."

I bet if players visited this forum, they would probably wonder why he take these losses so hard. :P

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/25/2012, 12:35 AM
I've never seen you coach, but I don't know how you could possibly do worse.haha

9/25/2012, 12:37 AM

Our team is consistently average. We play in a conference that we should dominate. Yes I'm talking about the last 4 years.

Other programs are winning and winning big. We are not. Im tired of watching this team and Im tired of apologetic fans like you.

I'm tired of Landry Jones Droopy Dog BS and I cant wait till we get some players that care and some coaches that coach!There is surely SOMETHING wrong! prolly lots more than one thing.

Soonerjeepman
9/25/2012, 08:57 AM
Hey 75..
mind me asking where you played?

First, I do agree it's not as bad or as good...but

as far as the coaches "know more than the fans"...it's NOT rocket science. I like how folks assume because they are coaching at OU they must know more than anyone else. Coaching is a fraternity. I've seen it at the HS level, I can only imagine how it is at the college and pro level. Once you are "in" it's likely you will or can have a job whenever you want. Yes they know the things going on at OU from an insider point but as far as technique/teaching etc no.

With the philosophy that the coaches are the end all what do you say about this? today Switzer came out and said OU just doesn't have the talent this year, especially on the D-Line. So I'm not so sure OU is in a great position for the rest of the season. CAN we win all the game, sure, that 's why they play but I see 2-3 more losses just as easy.

UberSooner
9/25/2012, 09:04 AM
I like the positivity but I can't remember a year when I thought we might lose 6 games. I don't think it's likely but I definitely think its possible even without injuries. By the way, i'm not hating, just looking at the schedule and talent match-ups.

SoonerorLater
9/25/2012, 09:20 AM

I could go point by point but suffice to say I have a diiferent view of the OU Football Program at this point. It is showing evidence of a program in decline. The cracks from previous personnel and recruiting mistakes are starting to show. Starting with our meltdown game against TT last year we are 6-4 and 3-4 in conference play with 2 home losses. This isn't a matter of just a tough loss last Saturday. We are seeing an extended streak of poor to mediocre play.

To me it's actually worse than the record indicates. Just look at these guys on the field. Has this been an intimidating team? Do you see a lot of difference makers on the field? No, there is a problem and how OU Fans can't see that is just amazing to me. Any time a team like KSU comes into town with a game plan of making our QB uncomfortable and nervous and waiting to capitalize on our mistakes something is wrong. The thing is KSU was right and it worked.

sooneron
9/25/2012, 09:42 AM
We are not hurting for talent.

This, I strongly disagree with, we are VERY weak at DL & LB. We have ONE DLman that would play for another top 10 defense. No linebackers. TE? Not so good either, our starter was on defense last year. I think our OL is getting a tad better, but we need some studs out there- at least two. Remember when we had Jammal and Davin on the same line? Hell, I would kill for some of Loadholt's false starts, if he came along with them. He had Cooper and Trent Williams along with him. Attrition and turnover is hard to deal with, but it seems like it's not being dealt with, at all. We aren't shuffling running backs because we have 3 studs, we are shuffling them because none of them are stud enough. And I'm a fan of those guys.

badger
9/25/2012, 09:58 AM
It could be worse.

We could be any other football program in the country.

:P

kevpks
9/25/2012, 09:58 AM
I drink Sunshine flavored Kool Aid with breakfast and even I agree that our front 7 talent has dropped dramatically. It's time to hit the JUCOs like we did for Pasha Jackson and Lance Mitchell.

PrideMom
9/25/2012, 10:20 AM
The talent is there, but not the DRIVE and HEART! I did not see any player play as hard as the players did in 2000. Sterling Shepard is the exception. He will be great!

soonervegas
9/25/2012, 10:38 AM
Everything the OP said is possible - and so is the possibility of the season imploding. We will probably have a good idea at about 7:00 p.m. on 10/13 or sooner.

FtwTxSooner
9/25/2012, 10:45 AM
I've been waiting and waiting for Landry to finally "get it". As he hasn't by now as a senior, I've given up hope of him ever getting it.

He can very easily throw 5 TD passes against tech in a couple of weeks, pass for over 400 yards against Texas, only to throw 3 INTs and a fumble against a team like Iowa State.

sooneron
9/25/2012, 10:52 AM
The talent is there, but not the DRIVE and HEART! I did not see any player play as hard as the players did in 2000. Sterling Shepard is the exception. He will be great!

NO, if Switzer is on the record as saying there's little to no talent there, then there isn't much talent.

SoonerorLater
9/25/2012, 10:58 AM
Everything the OP said is possible - and so is the possibility of the season imploding. We will probably have a good idea at about 7:00 p.m. on 10/13 or sooner.

No offense but that is exactly what we heard before the KSU game, that we would know a lot more about this team after that game. Well that game has come and gone, we didn't look anything close to good and still people are saying they need to see more to find out about this team. Can this team get better? Yes they can. Unfortunately Heuple will need to cater to Landry Jones and try to run plays that put minimum pressure on him. However I think that is exactly what he will do.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2012, 11:15 AM
No offense but that is exactly what we heard before the KSU game, that we would know a lot more about this team after that game. Well that game has come and gone, we didn't look anything close to good and still people are saying they need to see more to find out about this team. Can this team get better? Yes they can. Unfortunately Heuple will need to cater to Landry Jones and try to run plays that put minimum pressure on him. However I think that is exactly what he will do.

I don't think there is a way to protect LJ from pressure in all the games. The horns and ND will limit our run and LJ will have to perform under pressure for us to win those games.

starclassic tama
9/25/2012, 11:38 AM
i thought the o-line played decent against k-state. i don't think patton is the problem on offense. i think it is the scheme. has landry taken a single snap from under center all season? i don't think so. couple that with heupel's love for running the ball using a 5 man line and trey millard being absent from the game plan and you get what you get. ou is not west virginia or texas tech, i don't think they need to resort to that sort of passing game. i think heupel is overcoaching them and crippling the offense.

SoonerorLater
9/25/2012, 11:45 AM
I don't think there is a way to protect LJ from pressure in all the games. The horns and ND will limit our run and LJ will have to perform under pressure for us to win those games.

I don't think there is any way that you can eliminate pressure on the QB. It's just part and parcel of being a QB at this level. I'm thinking maybe they work around Landry's pocket anxiety issues and try to mitigate the problem. Maybe we run the ball more, have more 3 step drops, Bubble screens (yech) etc. We actually looked kind of decent running the ball on the first series against KSU, then inexplicibly decided to ride Landry's arm.

soonervegas
9/25/2012, 12:21 PM

If you read my previous posts you will see where I think the season is headed......I am just saying it is possible it could go the other way (the good way).

goingoneight
9/25/2012, 02:22 PM
NO, if Switzer is on the record as saying there's little to no talent there, then there isn't much talent.

I love Switzer, but a month ago he said just the opposite.

Curly Bill
9/25/2012, 02:41 PM
I don't know what Switzer said, what he thinks, or when he woke up this morning, but anyone who knows anything about football can tell we're not very talented on the defensive line, or at the linebacker position. I'm not sure we even have a TE on the squad, and that doesn't address the biggest issue it appears this team has: a senior QB that is a total spaz!

8timechamps
9/25/2012, 04:11 PM

I'm tired of Landry Jones Droopy Dog BS and I cant wait till we get some players that care and some coaches that coach!

I have no idea what you are saying. What "act"? I love the Sooners as much as the next guy, but I don't lose it when we lose. I trust Bob Stoops to make corrections, and really, what choice do any of us have? What part of my comments do you think is an act? I'm really interested.

Alabama is winning big. There is no question about that. Saban is the best college coach in the country, and I wish we were having the success of Bama. Other than Bama, who is winning and winning big? LSU? Is squeaking by Auburn winning big? USC? Florida State? Michigan? Texas? Who is it that's winning big?

You know what Blue, you don't have to read my comments. Like I said at the top of this thread, if it helps you get by to think the issues are too big to overcome, go for it. But it says a lot about you that you are "tired" of "apologetic fans like me". Where have I apologized? I'm in no position to apologize. Oh, and I hate to tell you, "fans like me" have been around a long time, and aren't going anywhere. So ignore it, or not, either way I don't really give a **** what you're tired of.

8timechamps
9/25/2012, 04:17 PM
This, I strongly disagree with, we are VERY weak at DL & LB. We have ONE DLman that would play for another top 10 defense. No linebackers. TE? Not so good either, our starter was on defense last year. I think our OL is getting a tad better, but we need some studs out there- at least two. Remember when we had Jammal and Davin on the same line? Hell, I would kill for some of Loadholt's false starts, if he came along with them. He had Cooper and Trent Williams along with him. Attrition and turnover is hard to deal with, but it seems like it's not being dealt with, at all. We aren't shuffling running backs because we have 3 studs, we are shuffling them because none of them are stud enough. And I'm a fan of those guys.

We are down on talent in some positions. I won't argue that at all. Outside of maybe Alabama, can you name a team that has a stud at every position? There are a lot of reasons I do buy into the "sky is falling", but when it comes to recruiting, it's almost laughable. RJ Washingon was a stud coming out of HS. Plenty of offers to big time programs, he just hasn't been the player he was thought to be. It was a miss. There are others, but you get the idea.

Could we have better talent? Of course. Is that why we lost to KSU? No.

UberSooner
9/25/2012, 04:32 PM
^This post is what troubles me. Either we are missing badly on a good number of defensive signees or we are not getting performance out of them because they are unmotivated or poorly coached. If this is a false dichotomy, show me the other possibilities and if its not, it comes down to coaches either way. My suspicion is that Stoop's loyalty and incestuous coaching hires have finally put us in a bind.

8timechamps
9/25/2012, 04:45 PM
^This post is what troubles me. Either we are missing badly on a good number of defensive signees or we are not getting performance out of them because they are unmotivated or poorly coached. If this is a false dichotomy, show me the other possibilities and if its not, it comes down to coaches either way. My suspicion is that Stoop's loyalty and incestuous coaching hires have finally put us in a bind.

Defensively, we have recruited toward a different scheme than the one Mike brought in. It may take us a couple of years to know the real verdict on defensive recruits (specifically LBs). We have produced NFL talent in the secondary fairly consistently, and that doesn't look to be changing. I do think it's too early to know where we stand on offensive recruiting. I may be a sunshine pumper, but I am a realist. If the talent really isn't there (and I think it is), it'll become transparent soon, and we'll all know.

SoonerorLater
9/25/2012, 06:08 PM

Listening to Pat Jones, Barry Switzer, Steve Davis and others, the picture that is being painted is a less-talented team than we have been accustomed to at OU. Jones and Switzer just flat came out and said it. Jones take is too many recruiting whiffs. Poor talent evaluation and too great a dependence on recruiting services. Basically just getting a little complacent. As he said it's the HC job to evaluate the evaluators. Bob Stoops is just loyal to a fault with his staff.

soonercastor
9/25/2012, 06:54 PM

This is the thing I disagree mainly with, he's a senior not a freshman....when do you suppose he will figure it out? Thought he had turned the corner at the end of 2010 (and the beginning of last year -FSU).
Anyway, we don't have a better option so we have to roll with him.

Blue
9/25/2012, 06:55 PM
I have no idea what you are saying. What "act"? I love the Sooners as much as the next guy, but I don't lose it when we lose. I trust Bob Stoops to make corrections, and really, what choice do any of us have? What part of my comments do you think is an act? I'm really interested.

Alabama is winning big. There is no question about that. Saban is the best college coach in the country, and I wish we were having the success of Bama. Other than Bama, who is winning and winning big? LSU? Is squeaking by Auburn winning big? USC? Florida State? Michigan? Texas? Who is it that's winning big?

You know what Blue, you don't have to read my comments. Like I said at the top of this thread, if it helps you get by to think the issues are too big to overcome, go for it. But it says a lot about you that you are "tired" of "apologetic fans like me". Where have I apologized? I'm in no position to apologize. Oh, and I hate to tell you, "fans like me" have been around a long time, and aren't going anywhere. So ignore it, or not, either way I don't really give a **** what you're tired of.

Way to take what I said entirely too personal. I'm saying that I'm tired of fans acting like there is nothing wrong when clearly we could be better than we are.

9/25/2012, 07:10 PM
...it appears this team has: a senior QB that is a total spaz!I remember the cows game 2 yrs ago. LJ tried to cough it away then and there, but we lucked out and pulled it out. I am squeamish about the rest of this season, to offer the understatement.

trwxxa
9/25/2012, 07:21 PM

The other area is WR. While the early results are somehat promising, they are early. It takes time for the receivers and QB to get in synch. It still blows me away that we had one WR/TE would had played in the system when the season began. How can a program like OU let this happen?

sooneron
9/25/2012, 08:17 PM
The other area is WR. While the early results are somehat promising, they are early. It takes time for the receivers and QB to get in synch. It still blows me away that we had one WR/TE would had played in the system when the season began. How can a program like OU let this happen?

Hell, I almost call WR a "bright spot" at this juncture. Our DBs aint bad, they need to tackle better and less often (cue the DL and LBs). This also goes to pressure on the pocket by the aforementioned DL & LBs. A db can only cover a guy/zone for so long when a qb has all day to throw the ball. I think Phillips needs more reps. He seems to be a spark that can get things going.

champions77
9/25/2012, 08:22 PM
Question? Does this team remind you more of Bob's 2000 Sooners, or remind you more of any of John Blake's teams of 1996-1998?

sooneron
9/25/2012, 08:29 PM
Offensively? 2001, but Hybl was tougher.
Defensively? I have no clue. I don't remember the majority of the front 7 having me scratching my head like this incarnation does.

8timechamps
9/25/2012, 08:57 PM
Way to take what I said entirely too personal. I'm saying that I'm tired of fans acting like there is nothing wrong when clearly we could be better than we are.

Sorry buddy. I was in a bad mood this afternoon anyway. I took it the wrong way.

For the record, I don't think things are great right now. I see many areas that need improvement. Anyone that's seen LJ play good, knows that he's really struggling right now (me included), and if we were watching the game together, we'd probably be yelling the same things. I just haven't lost faith in Stoops (not that you have). That doesn't mean I'll give him a pass forever, but in my opinion, he's earned the right to have a down season every now and then. Even though we didn't win the title last year, he still turned in a 10 win season, given the unknowns and injuries coming into this year, I really wasn't expecting a national title run. Since the Big XII title is still out there, and there's a ton of football left to be played, I'm willing to take the "wait and see" attitude. Besides, I couldn't quit watching the team in the 90's, I'm certainly not going to do that now.

Wanna kiss and make up?

8timechamps
9/25/2012, 08:58 PM
Question? Does this team remind you more of Bob's 2000 Sooners, or remind you more of any of John Blake's teams of 1996-1998?

Is this a serious question? If it is, then you weren't around for Blake's teams.

Blue
9/25/2012, 09:51 PM
Sorry buddy. I was in a bad mood this afternoon anyway. I took it the wrong way.

For the record, I don't think things are great right now. I see many areas that need improvement. Anyone that's seen LJ play good, knows that he's really struggling right now (me included), and if we were watching the game together, we'd probably be yelling the same things. I just haven't lost faith in Stoops (not that you have). That doesn't mean I'll give him a pass forever, but in my opinion, he's earned the right to have a down season every now and then. Even though we didn't win the title last year, he still turned in a 10 win season, given the unknowns and injuries coming into this year, I really wasn't expecting a national title run. Since the Big XII title is still out there, and there's a ton of football left to be played, I'm willing to take the "wait and see" attitude. Besides, I couldn't quit watching the team in the 90's, I'm certainly not going to do that now.

Wanna kiss and make up?

I'm just mad bc I don't really care one way or another about Sooner football anymore. I mean I root for them and I will always watch and root for them but i wasn't even upset sat night after that game. Seen it too many times. We are on a downslope. I don't mind the losses as long as it looks like we are getting better.

kevpks
9/25/2012, 10:37 PM
Is this a serious question? If it is, then you weren't around for Blake's teams.

If this was Blake's team, Kendall Thompson would be getting a crash course to prep him for our switch to the wishbone for the Tech game only to have us put Landry back in at halftime and switch back to a spread offense. Our Soonervision team would be hard at work prepping Animal House clips for our homecoming dogfight with Kansas in a few weeks.

diverdog
9/26/2012, 05:13 AM

Based on Barry's interview I think we are a 5 loss team. He is saying we are lacking in talent and I also think Snyder out coached Stoops. Somehow we have morphed into a Big 10 team with Lloyd Carr at the helm.

Sooner70
9/26/2012, 06:32 AM
Well, there's valid points posters have made on both sides of the discussion. I don't think the sky is falling, but doesn't appear everything's all right in Soonerland either. Hey, I remember the Blake days whenever if OU's offense could string together a series without a motion or offsides penalty, it was a good series. A field goal was cause for cheers. A TD was an event of elation. So, I'm thankful for Stoops & Co. & what has been done to bring Sooner FB back. Can't argue with his stats & conf. titles.

BUT, it seems things came unraveled the latter part of last year, & appears we may have carryover to this year. I'm wondering of all the personnel changes--suspensions, injuries (Habern was a big blow), bringing Mike Stoops back (which was probably a good move) has created an unsettled atmosphere that projects into gametime. Seems like in the KSU game, Landry & Co were making mistakes that you'd think only a freshman or soph QB would make....include Bell. Maybe he's worried about OL protection & doesn't have his Broyles pacifier anymore affects him. OU couldn't stop third down conversons, even when they seemed to know what was coming. Poor clock management...coaching. Just seemed to be a team in disarray & looking a bit amateurish, seemed to me. Not tight & crisp like it should be.

I know this....they'd better get their act together....coaches & players, or they could lose 4 more......Texas, West Virginia, Notre Dame & probably a TCU or TTech. Don't think that will happen as I have faith Bob will right the ship, but it ain't gonna happen by itself. Sooners could get it together & run the table, but more likely it'll be more like a 10-2, 9-3 campaign this year.

GameWarden
9/26/2012, 09:32 AM
I pretty much agree with what you said. Except for this one:

I don't think it's any thing that you can 'figure out'. Jones just has a penchant for making bad decisions and he will continue to do it on in to the pros. Ryan Mallet from Arkansas seemed to do the same thing.

I was pleasantly surprised with the blocking. I thought the OL played well. Seriously concerned about the front 7 on defense. Partly on scheme, partly on ability.
All night long Teddy Lehman was saying 'they' need to shed blocks. I'm pretty sure 'they' was mostly Tom Wort.

I'm proud of the SOONERS and I haven't given up on them - even Landry. I have just accepted the fact that he's gonna turn the ball over a couple of times a game.

I certainly agree with the post before this one that OU has been in a serious transition since the Tech game last year. Lots of guys were hurt last year and evidently a lot of guys had to leave the program for one reason or another. I count 10 JUCO's in this years class?? But Brown and D Williams have looked great so far.

I think Stoops will get OU back on track, if not this year, then next. If you are waiting for him to be Nick Saban, it ain't gonna happen.

8timechamps
9/26/2012, 03:49 PM
I pretty much agree with what you said. Except for this one:

I don't think it's any thing that you can 'figure out'. Jones just has a penchant for making bad decisions and he will continue to do it on in to the pros. Ryan Mallet from Arkansas seemed to do the same thing.

I was pleasantly surprised with the blocking. I thought the OL played well. Seriously concerned about the front 7 on defense. Partly on scheme, partly on ability.
All night long Teddy Lehman was saying 'they' need to shed blocks. I'm pretty sure 'they' was mostly Tom Wort.

I'm proud of the SOONERS and I haven't given up on them - even Landry. I have just accepted the fact that he's gonna turn the ball over a couple of times a game.

I certainly agree with the post before this one that OU has been in a serious transition since the Tech game last year. Lots of guys were hurt last year and evidently a lot of guys had to leave the program for one reason or another. I count 10 JUCO's in this years class?? But Brown and D Williams have looked great so far.

I think Stoops will get OU back on track, if not this year, then next. If you are waiting for him to be Nick Saban, it ain't gonna happen.

I can see eye to eye with you on that. Jones, even in his best games, has a habit of making at least one boneheaded play. I guess by "figure it out", I mean "limit his mistakes". That's really all I can hope for right now.

kevpks
9/26/2012, 04:05 PM
I can see eye to eye with you on that. Jones, even in his best games, has a habit of making at least one boneheaded play. I guess by "figure it out", I mean "limit his mistakes". That's really all I can hope for right now.

If Landry limits his mistakes, we'll win 10 games. I'm not saying that because I think it was all Landry's fault, but it seems like our offensive scheme cannot overcome sub-par quarterback play. We have not shown an ability to play close to the vest, ball control offense. For people who want to abandon the hurry up, I think we need to go faster. We seem to play much better that way. Give Landry 90 offensive snaps, he'll throw 3 or 4 TDs. He'll throw a few picks too, but still...

8timechamps
9/26/2012, 04:13 PM
If Landry limits his mistakes, we'll win 10 games. I'm not saying that because I think it was all Landry's fault, but it seems like our offensive scheme cannot overcome sub-par quarterback play. We have not shown an ability to play close to the vest, ball control offense. For people who want to abandon the hurry up, I think we need to go faster. We seem to play much better that way. Give Landry 90 offensive snaps, he'll throw 3 or 4 TDs. He'll throw a few picks too, but still...

Agree 100%. As has been mentioned (probably numerous times), Landry looks much more comfortable when he doesn't have to rush the snap. It's been a while since I played football, and I never played at the D1 level, but I cannot imagine trying to manage a play clock, read a defense, look to the sidelines for a call, re-read the defense, look back to the sidelines for the call, read the defense again, then get the snap off. I don't think that works anywhere save maybe the NFL.

StoopTroup
9/26/2012, 04:21 PM
If Broyles hadn't gotten hurt Landry would be in the NFL right now instead of behind an inexperienced OL a stable of average running backs and one veteran WR who will never be the caliber of Broyles.

Blame Landry all you want. He isn't going to one day be on a Sports Board telling folks he can out Coach this guy and that guy and telling people how he has done such a great job in College and Coaching that he could help Stoops fix his QB problems in 2020 after Coaching some Jr High School.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/kool1.jpg

kevpks
9/26/2012, 04:29 PM
I know a message board is where I like to go to make fun of people for posting on message boards. I don't know why Broyles' injury would have any impact on Landry coming back, but maybe it did. Landry himself said he played pretty terrible and this one was probably on him. I respect him for that and think he'll play better next game.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/kool1.jpg[/QUOTE]

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2012, 04:37 PM
If Broyles hadn't gotten hurt Landry would be in the NFL right now instead of behind an inexperienced OL a stable of average running backs and one veteran WR who will never be the caliber of Broyles.

Blame Landry all you want. He isn't going to one day be on a Sports Board telling folks he can out Coach this guy and that guy and telling people how he has done such a great job in College and Coaching that help could help Stoops fix his QB problems in 2020 after Coaching some Jr High School.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/kool1.jpg

Nice pot shot greg. You doing okay?

Compare my coaching resume to that of Kittle's and I am more qualified. Plain and simple.

But since you are nothing than a spectator of this sport, you wouldn't have a ****ing clue.

That said, take your sunshine pumping and shove it. There are real issues with this team, so much so even past players are pointing them out. And so are the coaches on this coaching staff (actually they are admitting there are problems). And frankly, anyone that can actually comprehend the game and the fundamentals of the game can see the issues. And aren't sitting at their keyboards thinking everything is fine.

StoopTroup
9/26/2012, 04:42 PM

Last year all we heard was Fire Venables and Bring Back Mike! It was like it was going to be some cure all for us. I figured that until Mike got at least two Seasons of recruiting under his belt and got comfortable being Bob's Defensive Co-ordinator, that we would really need a Strong Team of Offensive Players to overcome the problems in switching back to Mike or really any DC. You of course always hope that a guy can come in and inspire a bunch of players to play their hearts out but still...it just might not be enough at this level. Maybe we should have just found some guy at the Jr. High School Level to come in with his downward spiral of a Coaching Resume and just let him give it the "Old College Try". I mean....it's just a fraternity of guys who all give each other reach arounds. ;)

StoopTroup
9/26/2012, 04:45 PM
Nice pot shot greg. You doing okay?

Compare my coaching resume to that of Kittle's and I am more qualified. Plain and simple.

But since you are nothing than a spectator of this sport, you wouldn't have a ****ing clue.

That said, take your sunshine pumping and shove it. There are real issues with this team, so much so even past players are pointing them out. And so are the coaches on this coaching staff (actually they are admitting there are problems). And frankly, anyone that can actually comprehend the game and the fundamentals of the game can see the issues. And aren't sitting at their keyboards thinking everything is fine.

i see you are still working on that ego thing. I always thought you had accepted that you were destined to run a 5 Star Restaurant and shut that Brit Gordon Ramsey the hell up.

BTW...I'm in my car on my phone waiting for my Kids to finish Private Piano Classes with a very wonderful teacher that didn't go to Julliard but her last Senior Student got a kid a full ride to Tulsa University.

olevetonahill
9/26/2012, 04:47 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2pYBMH8GpBA/TWQse5KEPTI/AAAAAAAAAFE/4RAdUuIodgw/s1600/homer_eating_popcorn.jpg

StoopTroup
9/26/2012, 04:57 PM
What Im trying to say 75 is a polite so what? We do what we do but it's probably best not to judge others to harshly unless your bronze statue is still standing on the Campus of Penn St.

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2012, 06:12 PM
i see you are still working on that ego thing. I always thought you had accepted that you were destined to run a 5 Star Restaurant and shut that Brit Gordon Ramsey the hell up.

BTW...I'm in my car on my phone waiting for my Kids to finish Private Piano Classes with a very wonderful teacher that didn't go to Julliard but her last Senior Student got a kid a full ride to Tulsa University.

Your schtick is as worthless as a meth whore...oh wait.

That said when you actually do more than sit in the stands and actually try to learn what football is from a fundamental perspective, then maybe you'll have the brain power to overcome some pharmaceutical complications to understand that something is amiss with the OU football team.

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2012, 06:14 PM
What Im trying to say 75 is a polite so what? We do what we do but it's probably best not to judge others to harshly unless your bronze statue is still standing on the Campus of Penn St.

That makes no...wait...are your drugs speaking for you again?

Seriously greg, get off my nutsack and understand no post was directed at you until your drug induced post flamed me, in a not so sly pot shot.

Seriously man....seek help!

StoopTroup
9/26/2012, 07:30 PM
Or you could leave us Sunshine Pumpers and Koolaid Drinkers to our theories. That might be something positive you could offer.

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2012, 07:35 PM
Or you could leave us Sunshine Pumpers and Koolaid Drinkers to our theories. That might be something positive you could offer.

Oh, I'm positive. I'm positive that OU will be just fine this year. And I'm positive Stoops will win another NC at OU. Just not this year, and not until he forceably fixes the problems plaguing the team.

There are positives on this team this year. But there are also some glaring problems that Bob needs to fix.

StoopTroup
9/26/2012, 08:37 PM
Pot Shots aside and the drug comments and that I don't know squat, it only took me a second to checkout the quick fact stats on Kittle. They are pretty impressive IMO and by the looks of it, comparing your résumé to his isn't a pot shot its something you brought up and something I think you should defend.

Now...already you have avoided answering where you Coached.

I also think that many other things like where you played and who your mentors and Coaches were all fall into the equation when you continue to make the brazen accusations that you are not only more qualified but could Coach circles around guys that Bob seems to hold in high regard. It makes me wonder why someone who is an OU Fan and this Qualified would post on a Sports Board about it instead of having his Stunningly Qualified Resume sent to Bob along with Coaches you have as references calling to get you an interview. Per you, it only seems logical that someone like you with such a passionate following of the Sooners would be looking to not just keep padding that stellar resume but would seek to have Stoops and every Sooner Fan's undying loyalty and a place in the History Books where your name was associated with Big XII Championships and maybe even MNCs 8,9 and 10.

Attacking current Coaches and players doesn't ring of someone qualified with a History of Winning and good sportsmanship....it smells of brain damage from years of Concussions and cocaine based/opiate pain killers injected to lengthen one's career.

Jack T.
9/26/2012, 08:54 PM
I'm just mad bc I don't really care one way or another about Sooner football anymore. I mean I root for them and I will always watch and root for them but i wasn't even upset sat night after that game. Seen it too many times. We are on a downslope. I don't mind the losses as long as it looks like we are getting better.

I can't remember the last time I watched an entire game. Just not worth the aggravation anymore.

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2012, 09:51 PM
Let me put this way...

If you think a few years as a high school coach is impressive, then your kidding yourself.

He has an impressive resume of other things like being a preacher and a lawyer or whatever he was. But his coaching resume lacks.

And where I coach or coached is none of your business...but to offer some more details...I played under a coach that was mentored by Hal Mummi (sp?) And Mike Leach while they were at kentucky. That same coach played under Dennis Franchione.

I coached OL for a small college for five years. I started at that college as a volunteer coach for the DL.
I coached OL in High school for three years.
I now coach 7th graders mainly with the line. I teach fundamentals, always have. The proper footwork for pulling, a drop step, how to zone block. Etc to these kids so they have a better understanding when they get to 8th grade and high school.

Yes, I think I can/could be a better coach than Kittle. Recruiter, idk. But coach yes. But I don't consider myself the best available OL coach, so it should tell you something.

I know you want to do the classic distortion when it comes to the problems of OU, since you don't think, scratch that. You don't know there are any...or you can't see them.

So you can question my knowledge of coaching the OL all you like. I know for a fact my resume is actually more experienced than his.

He was a teammate and roommate of Bob Stoops while at Iowa. I wonder why he really got the job?

The fact is, the List of coaches Stoops has hired that does not belong to his circle, didn't before hiring them are:

Mike Leach
Kevin Wilson
And the georgia coach (name escapes me at this moment) that coached DBs.

The rest have been in his circle or are alumni of OU.

sooneron
9/26/2012, 11:32 PM
I love Switzer, but a month ago he said just the opposite.

link?

StoopTroup
9/27/2012, 01:45 PM
Timmeh...why don't you get a press pass and go ask Bob all the questions you need answers for. Insinuate what you want but evidently all those other things you mentioned and some of the stuff in this and maybe some of the stuff that you don't see in writing have something to do with it.

Bruce Kittle
Assistant Coach
Tight Ends / Tackles

Football Coaching Staff

First year tackles and tight ends coach helped to lead an offensive line that gave up just 11 sacks in 2011. Tight end James Hanna earned second team All-Big 12 with 27 receptions for 381 yards and two touchdowns.

PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Following graduation from Iowa, he spent four years on the Iowa staff, two as an graduate assistant and two as a volunteer assistant. All four of those years with spent under Kirk Ferentz, who was coaching the offensive line. During that time, Iowa played in four straight bowl games.

• Kittle also worked with Hayden Fry, Barry Alvarez, Dan McCarney and Mike Stoops.

• Member and certified mediator with the Iowa Association of Mediators, Wisconsin Association of Mediators and Victim Offender Mediation Association.

• Member in good standing and admitted to practice law in Iowa and Wisconsin State Bars.

• Member of Seventh and Eighth Circuits U.S. Federal Courts.

• Ordained Clergy with standing in Eastern Association, Iowa Conference, United Church of Christ, UCC Christians for Justice Action Network, Protestant Justice Action Network, Fellowship of Reconciliation.

• Member of American Football Coaches Association.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS A PLAYER
• Captain and starting offensive tackle for Iowa's 1981 Rose Bowl team.

• Lettered all four years at Iowa as an offensive tackle.

sooneron
9/27/2012, 03:13 PM
Timmeh...why don't you get a press pass and go ask Bob all the questions you need answers for. Insinuate what you want but evidently all those other things you mentioned and some of the stuff in this and maybe some of the stuff that you don't see in writing have something to do with it.

Bruce Kittle
Assistant Coach
Tight Ends / Tackles

Football Coaching Staff

First year tackles and tight ends coach helped to lead an offensive line that gave up just 11 sacks in 2011. Tight end James Hanna earned second team All-Big 12 with 27 receptions for 381 yards and two touchdowns.

PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Following graduation from Iowa, he spent four years on the Iowa staff, two as an graduate assistant and two as a volunteer assistant. All four of those years with spent under Kirk Ferentz, who was coaching the offensive line. During that time, Iowa played in four straight bowl games.

• Kittle also worked with Hayden Fry, Barry Alvarez, Dan McCarney and Mike Stoops.

• Member and certified mediator with the Iowa Association of Mediators, Wisconsin Association of Mediators and Victim Offender Mediation Association.

• Member in good standing and admitted to practice law in Iowa and Wisconsin State Bars.

• Member of Seventh and Eighth Circuits U.S. Federal Courts.

• Ordained Clergy with standing in Eastern Association, Iowa Conference, United Church of Christ, UCC Christians for Justice Action Network, Protestant Justice Action Network, Fellowship of Reconciliation.

• Member of American Football Coaches Association.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS A PLAYER
• Captain and starting offensive tackle for Iowa's 1981 Rose Bowl team.

• Lettered all four years at Iowa as an offensive tackle.
Those aren't exactly glowing credentials. Cool that he's an ambulance chaser by night, I guess...

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2012, 03:31 PM
"Helped with"

Really?

Here is his real coaching experience:

1982-1986: GA Iowa (do you even know what a GA does? I doubt it)
2006-2008: Northwest Junior High Head Coach (what grade? No junior high I know of has one head coach for the entire junior high. And where is Northwest Jr. High School located?)
2008-2009: West High School assistant coach.
2009-2010: Cedar Falls High School assistant coach.
2011-Present: OU assistant coach, OL.

I don't know anyone that is disputing his esteemed resume of being a lawyer and pastor. I commend him for it actually. The guy apparently has some very high morals and character.

But he had four years as a real coach, not someone that holds scouting cards or retrieving the coaching staff their coffee. Even if you count his GA experience, he has 8 years experience on a coaching staff....but GAs really don't do a lot of coaching.

So instead of trying to spin this as he is a very well qualified coach, try looking at a way you are incapable of, realistically and logically.

Hell, I would give him more credence as a coach if he was actually a head coach over a high school team for four years before getting a shot at OU.

He was brought in by Bob Stoops in 2010 as an on-campus recruiter.

Face it man, Nepotism and arrogance by Bob Stoops got a unqualified coach the job!

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2012, 03:34 PM
IMO, Bob thought to himself that one of his buddies got into coaching, after being away from the sport for 20+ years. And since he had some experience as a coach, he hired him to gain experience in recruiting. Then hired him as an OL coach when the job opened up.

Essentially Stoops gave his brotha from another motha a job!

Soonerjeepman
9/27/2012, 03:37 PM
ok, played 4 yrs...good, coached 4 yrs (2 as a grad asst and 2 as a vol)...what exactly did he do with the other coaches? I would think if he actually coached wouldn't that be on his "Professional Accomplishments"?...just asking

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2012, 03:37 PM
BTW, Gregory, did you know that most GA positions are for only 2 years, but the NCAA allows for a max of 3 years?

So how could Kittle be a GA for 4 years?

Soonerjeepman
9/27/2012, 03:42 PM
"Helped with"

Really?

Here is his real coaching experience:

1982-1986: GA Iowa (do you even know what a GA does? I doubt it)
2006-2008: Northwest Junior High Head Coach (what grade? No junior high I know of has one head coach for the entire junior high. And where is Northwest Jr. High School located?)
2008-2009: West High School assistant coach.
2009-2010: Cedar Falls High School assistant coach.
2011-Present: OU assistant coach, OL.

I don't know anyone that is disputing his esteemed resume of being a lawyer and pastor. I commend him for it actually. The guy apparently has some very high morals and character.

But he had four years as a real coach, not someone that holds scouting cards or retrieving the coaching staff their coffee. Even if you count his GA experience, he has 8 years experience on a coaching staff....but GAs really don't do a lot of coaching.

So instead of trying to spin this as he is a very well qualified coach, try looking at a way you are incapable of, realistically and logically.

Hell, I would give him more credence as a coach if he was actually a head coach over a high school team for four years before getting a shot at OU.

He was brought in by Bob Stoops in 2010 as an on-campus recruiter.

Face it man, Nepotism and arrogance by Bob Stoops got a unqualified coach the job!

ah...the "good ol boys" system alive and well in D1! nice...lol
that is just WOW..

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2012, 03:43 PM
ok, played 4 yrs...good, coached 4 yrs (2 as a grad asst and 2 as a vol)...what exactly did he do with the other coaches? I would think if he actually coached wouldn't that be on his "Professional Accomplishments"?...just asking

IDK, but something really smells fishy with this hire.

I wonder if his resume is equivelant of that of one George O'Leary?

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2012, 03:54 PM
Kinda funny, Berry Tramel was asked this very question today. His response:

But the weak link, I'd say, is Bruce Kittle. He's completely unproven as a coach. Virtually no experience as a college coach, and he gets a full-time staff gig. Seemed awfully good-ol-boyish to me.

Read more: http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-landry-jones-nfl-draft-stock-is-falling/article/3713521#ixzz27hoXKbje

One4OU
9/27/2012, 04:32 PM

Throw in a couple of too many players on the field penalties followed with a couple of plays with only 9 or 10 players on the field then we might be close before the end of the year.

Soonerjeepman
9/27/2012, 04:39 PM
Kinda funny, Berry Tramel was asked this very question today. His response:

can you post article? not coming up

BeaSooner
9/27/2012, 05:19 PM
I'm guessing he (Bruce) basically coached his son through Jr. High and beginning of High School in Iowa City. He is now a wide receiver for Iowa.

olevetonahill
9/27/2012, 05:19 PM
can you post article? not coming up

Page one , Ill get the other next

Berry Tramel: Landry Jones' NFL draft stock is falling
The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel took questions from readers in today's Power Lunch Chat. Join our Power Lunch Chats Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. on NewsOK.com/Sports.

By Berry Tramel | Published: September 27, 2012 Comment on this article 8

The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel took questions from readers in today's Power Lunch Chat. You can read the complete transcript here. Join our Power Lunch Chats Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. on NewsOK.com/Sports.

Your thoughts on Landry Jones' NFL career?

I assume it won't be great. His draft stock is falling, but he'll still get drafted relatively high. Maybe first round. But once there, most young QBs fail. And guys who don't protect the ball fail even more quickly.

How much of a chance do the Sooners have to make it to the national championship game if they finish out the season with one loss and win the Big 12? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Mostly wishful thinking. The problem with OU is not how it would fare in the polls. The problem is how it's playing. When you play as poorly as the Sooners have, you have to worry about just getting better and winning in Lubbock, not winning the popularity game.

What is the latest information regarding Oklahoma State's partnership with Fox Sports to carry sports on its various outlets?

I was told something should be worked out soon. OSU should sign up with Fox. But OSU always seems to lag behind in media-rights stuff. Sort of reactive rather than proactive. So I think it will be the last nail for Fox. But hopefully within a few weeks.

Who’s your favorite NFL team?

I don't have a favorite NFL team. It's sort of interesting. I just like certain teams in certain situations. I just love the game. Love watching. It really is like watching a movie to me. I'm rarely pulling for someone. Just watching to see what happens. Oh, sometimes I have a favorite. I like Green Bay most of the time. I like the Giants. I like whoever is playing New England. I like to see the Steelers lose just so Traber won't yap about them so much.

Read more: http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-landry-jones-nfl-draft-stock-is-falling/article/3713521#ixzz27iA2mmFn

olevetonahill
9/27/2012, 05:20 PM
Page 2, You wanted the article

Should the NFL overturn the Packers/Seattle game?

I'm going to say no. As big of a rip job as it was, that's a can of worms I don't think you can open. That pains me, because I like the Pack and it was a horrible call, but I'd vote no.

Oklahoma State basketball is a mess. How does it get turned around? Does Holder just need to look in the couch cushions for cash and buy out Ford's contract?

Well, Ford is upgrading the talent big-time. Nash last year, Marcus Smart this year. But clearly, OSU needs to get better. If the Cowboys don't win this year, it's not good. I don't know if Holder can buy out Ford or not. That's a lot of money for a sport that fewer and fewer fans care about.

In your opinion, which assistant coach for OU is the most expendable, if any?

Well, expendable is the wrong word. You need them all. But the weak link, I'd say, is Bruce Kittle. He's completely unproven as a coach. Virtually no experience as a college coach, and he gets a full-time staff gig. Seemed awfully good-ol-boyish to me.

Longhorns or Cowboys this weekend?

Texas. I would have picked OSU had Lunt been healthy, but I think the OSU running game will be severely tested to produce without a stretch-pass threat.

Read more: http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-landry-jones-nfl-draft-stock-is-falling/article/3713521#ixzz27iAIYo34

FaninAma
9/27/2012, 05:34 PM
Does anybody think this team wins at WV or TCU with Landry at the Helm? I am doubtful.

Who would of thought that out of all the things that could go wrong the most obvious problem with this team is its 5th year senior QB?

olevetonahill
9/27/2012, 05:42 PM
Does anybody think this team wins at WV or TCU with Landry at the Helm? I am doubtful.

Who would of thought that out of all the things that could go wrong the most obvious problem with this team is its 5th year senior QB?

LJ has some Probs, Some are his fault some are the Coaches, some are his Lines and receivers fault

Theres enough Blame to go around, I dont see the need to Pile on a kid

BigTip
9/27/2012, 06:00 PM

He's done nothing off the field to embarrass the program. A good person.

But the empirical data is mounting showing that he is not the solution on the field. Has he lost what he had? It's just so strange. He's shown such flashes of brilliance before. I keep hoping that he'll take off of and start showing all that again on a consistent basis.

olevetonahill
9/27/2012, 06:14 PM

But the empirical data is mounting showing that he is not the solution on the field. Has he lost what he had? It's just so strange. He's shown such flashes of brilliance before. I keep hoping that he'll take off of and start showing all that again on a consistent basis.

Like I said I dont think its ALL on him, Sure he makes a boneheaded play from time to time, But his receivers also drop passes, Run the wrong routes, run em too fast or too slow . His line dont always give him the time he needs either
Plus I think his Confidence took a big hit When they started taking him out and running that stupid assed BellDozer crap

When he said the other day that he Needed and wanted a Go To receiver I believe hes referring to the need of having some one he could trust to be where hes supposed to be on a consistent basis

Its all about Trust IMHO He has to trust his Line to protect him, He has to trust his receivers to be where they ar esupposed to be, He has to trust his coaches to get him a workable play in on time so hes not scrambling around trying to make sure every one knows whats going on.

OU_Sooners75
9/27/2012, 06:26 PM

At some point when a player continues to struggle, it becomes obvious that there is a problem. And if its not the player then what?

Honestly think about it. We all know when given time. When he has his confidence. When he is comfortable, he can light up the offense.

And it seems obvious that the problem isn't the player or the coaches would bench him. And it doesn't seem to be the player with the problem because the NFL still sees value in him.

that said, the only other problem that it could be is the coaching.

What can the coaching do to make the player better? Maybe adjust the offensive system to better suit his strengths and hide his weaknesses?

Maybe change the offense to help the entire offense?

If it isn't a player problem, then like I said, its a coaching problem.

And after witnessing him lead OU past OSU in 2010 in two last minute drives. After watching him pick FSU apart late in the game. After watching him lead his team against Iowa. The kid can play and can be good when put in a position that suits his strengths. But he can look like a very average QB when put in situations that don't make him comfortable.

8timechamps
9/27/2012, 06:34 PM

I'm not sold that either of those two teams are as good as hyped. WV got everything they wanted from Maryland last week. Maryland was terrible last year, maybe they're better this year, either way, WV has to prove to me they are a top 10 team...BUT, I was worried about that game before the season even started.

TCU is not the same TCU that won the Rose Bowl. They struggled to beat KU, and while I think they will be better when OU plays them, I still believe we win that one.

BigTip
9/27/2012, 06:35 PM
Shoot, just watching him a couple of games ago, where he was rolling left, then threw 40 yards all the way across the field to the right sideline, shows that he's got the tools. Not many folks can do what he did on that one play.

8timechamps
9/27/2012, 06:39 PM
Like I said I dont think its ALL on him, Sure he makes a boneheaded play from time to time, But his receivers also drop passes, Run the wrong routes, run em too fast or too slow . His line dont always give him the time he needs either
Plus I think his Confidence took a big hit When they started taking him out and running that stupid assed BellDozer crap

When he said the other day that he Needed and wanted a Go To receiver I believe hes referring to the need of having some one he could trust to be where hes supposed to be on a consistent basis

Its all about Trust IMHO He has to trust his Line to protect him, He has to trust his receivers to be where they ar esupposed to be, He has to trust his coaches to get him a workable play in on time so hes not scrambling around trying to make sure every one knows whats going on.

The more I look at his performance this season, the more I think it's a mental issue with LJ. And it could very well be a trust issue. I also think his work in the summer/spring with the QB coach in California actually hurt him a little. Think about the play against KSU when we fumbled on our 2 yard line and KSU scooped and scored. I don't think that play happens last year, because I don't think LJ leaves the pocket. He's clearly more mobile this year, and I think in his mind he wants badly to use his legs to get him out of trouble. The problem is that he didn't realize he had a pocket to step into that would have at the very least given him a second or two longer. Instead, he leaves the pocket early and gets stripped from behind. IF he can start to trust the line, and be more selective on stretching out plays with his feet, I think he'll settle back in. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Curly Bill
9/28/2012, 07:37 AM
LJ has some Probs, Some are his fault some are the Coaches, some are his Lines and receivers fault

He's what 22, 23 years old now? ...and married. Kid my a**!

olevetonahill
9/28/2012, 08:11 AM
He's what 22, 23 years old now? ...and married. Kid my a**!

Anyone 40 years younger than me IS a kid
jes sayin

kevpks
9/28/2012, 08:25 AM
Shoot, just watching him a couple of games ago, where he was rolling left, then threw 40 yards all the way across the field to the right sideline, shows that he's got the tools. Not many folks can do what he did on that one play.

I started to wonder where Landry was in career interceptions (43) but the drama is out of that race. He already has the career lead at OU with 11 more than Cale Gundy. Looking at that list, I was also surprised how many Heupel threw at OU (31). Bradford was so awesome. He only had 16 Ints in his career. That is amazing considering how many plays we ran.

http://soonerstats.com/football/recordbook/player/pass_career.cfm

You are right that Landry can make all the throws. He is also always going to throw his fair share of INTs. Hopefully, he can limit those killers turnovers that lead immediately to points for the opposition. IMHO the key for Landry is to get as many plays as possible. That responsibility falls on the offense as a unit (limit drops and dumb penalties; secure the ball) and the defense (more three and outs; limit third and long conversions) Running around 90 plays seems crucial. If Landry had gotten the ball back two or three more times in that K-State game, I think we win.

BeaSooner
9/28/2012, 09:53 AM
Sam Bradford was such a S-T-U-D.