PDA

View Full Version : Scapegoating Sooner Fans

kruss1971
9/24/2012, 04:29 PM
Dear Sooner Fans,

Am I the only one that gets all kinds of tired listening to scapegoating fans? No, not the objective fans who can form a constructive criticism of a coach's or player's performance in a rational and reasonable way. Scapegoaters are your tried and true idiots who ALWAYS know what to do with the game on the line. They're likely to have never sat through a minute of film, at any level, to watch themselves or the other ten guys on the field for any given play. Always easy to spot, they're usually the angriest and most bitter fans at the game (or at home).

You've probably seen a scapegoater while eating out at your favorite restaurant. The classless lady at table five ripping into the waitstaff because the chef overcooked her steak; she's a scapegoater. The guy sitting down ten rows from you screaming every time a QB overthrows a receiver without one mention of the wind, the route, the coverage, or blocking; he's a scapegoater. The dad cussing out Bob Stoops while embarrasing his son half to death; he's one, too. They are genuinely perplexed when a running back doesn't cut to the outside on every play because the field looks so wide open to them from the stands or from the camera angle they see on the tube. They're always complaining when the OC doesn't call the play that they know will work every single time.

In other words, they are the morons that turn a bad day for your Sooners into nightmare of an experience at the game or at home. You know them. It seems to be the same tired pattern, game after game, year after year, when we drop a game we should have won...or, quite frankly, when we aren't perfect. Scapegoaters pick out about three plays in a game of sixty lackluster minutes and hang the loss on those 15-20 seconds of misfortune. They behave in ways that justify the perceptions of others that we are a bunch of spoiled idiots fans. After going to this game and then watching this at home, I just wanted to share my thoughts on Landry's fumble.

We did not lose to KSU because of Landry Jones. Is Landry playing great ball, right now? Hardly...and he'll be the first to admit it and readily took the blame for this loss. However, even the worst of "his" mistakes - the fumble - looks a lot different on film than it does listening to the scapegoaters. Go back and watch Tuggle vs. Williams on that play. Williams barely gets a hand on Tuggle before Tuggle has a chance to pinch the pocket down to about 4 yds wide at the top of Landry's drop.

You think Landry should take a step back when he's already on the 5yd line at this point? After you see the pocket naturally open to his right because Tuggle went so far upfield, take a look at the block Whaley puts on Childs who had been sitting tight at the LOS but rushed hard as soon as Landry started flushing. At that point, Landry could have just stood strong in the pocket, am I right? No...Whaley wiffed hard on Childs. So, Landry quickly scoots to the right to evade Childs and would have beat him, but Tuggle made a great move and dusted Williams allowing him to pursue Landry from a totally blind position.

You think Landry is the only player the coaches are talking to when they watch this play on film? I'll bet you a frozen lemonade Landry would have thrown that ball away as soon as he stepped by Childs. But, the scapegoater's take is that Landry should have simply scrambled to the left because he had trips on that side. He should stand tall in the pocket and not try to scramble. He should scramble sooner and throw it away sooner. He should hold on a little longer to let the play develop. The solution is whatever argument they want to use for any given play to make it look like they know what they are talking about.

Landry is a great QB that had a terrible game. The scapegoaters won't mention how freaky-deaky the wind was on Saturday night. They also won't mention team suspensions and what that has likely done to the rhythm of this team. They won't mention anything else about their pet mistake and will simply reveal their unrealistic expectation that every QB (or any other player) should be better and more perfect than his predessessor. Talk about bad decisions all you want, but you're mistaken if you think this play is a cut and dry example of a bad decision-making on Landry's part.

End rant...

Feel free to add examples of your favorite fans and their brilliant minds to the thread.

85sooners
9/24/2012, 04:32 PM
Blah blah

ELP Sooner
9/24/2012, 04:37 PM
I was taught not to critique the kids by my father back in the 1970s as he said..."they are amateurs doing their best and you need to respect that." Coaches are paid and are open to critique. So that is how I roll. Maybe times have changed, but I havent.

badger
9/24/2012, 04:42 PM
Wow, that's a lot of words. Let me try to make your post more fun:

Glossary of Sooner fan terms:

TOUCHDOWN TIGHT END: Your tried and true idiots who ALWAYS know what to do with the game on the line.

EVERYONE IN FRONT OF ME NEEDS TO SIT DOWN: The classless lady at table five ripping into the waitstaff because the chef overcooked her steak

NOT NATE'S FAULT: Screaming every time a QB overthrows a receiver without one mention of the wind, the route, the coverage, or blocking

DAD'S DAY WEEKEND: The dad cussing out Bob Stoops while embarrasing his son half to death

MEERKAT OFFENSE: 15-20 seconds of misfortune

WHY IS ROY FINCH IN THE DOGHOUSE: Williams barely gets a hand on Tuggle before Tuggle has a chance to pinch the pocket down to about 4 yds wide at the top of Landry's drop.

HOME OF THE BRAVE/SOONERS: How freaky-deaky the wind was on Saturday night

OK, that was a weak attempt on my part, but holy cow do we gotta start new threads for each poster's opinion? Here's baj's opinion: Babies should be able to breathe through their mouths at birth so that they don't wake up every time their nose is congested.

End rant?

achiro
9/24/2012, 05:39 PM
Wow, I stopped reading when you tried blaming the line for Landry flushing and fumbling. He had plenty of time, more if he would have just stepped up into the pocket.

achiro
9/24/2012, 05:44 PM
This is just as he starts running. Look how much space he has. This was already after a little over 3 seconds. Step up, no throw then throw it away or be a real college player and cut left through that hole and run for a first down.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i367/achiro1/50f8a2273763cab2dfc1acdc494eee5b.jpg

cccasooner2
9/24/2012, 05:46 PM
I can open doors at Wallmart with the best of them.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/24/2012, 05:54 PM
Skip: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Larry: Lollygaggers!

Skip: Lollygaggers.

Skip: What's our record, Larry?

Larry: Eight and sixteen.

Skip: Eight... and sixteen. How'd we ever win eight?

Larry: It's a miracle.

Skip: It's a miracle. This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.
YOU GOT IT!!?!? Now we have got a 12 day road trip starting tomorrow. The bus leaves at 6 in the morning.

kruss1971
9/24/2012, 07:12 PM
This is just as he starts running. Look how much space he has. This was already after a little over 3 seconds. Step up, no throw then throw it away or be a real college player and cut left through that hole and run for a first down.

A little over 3 seconds, really? The clock started on that play at 12:28...you're showing me a screenshot at 12:26. That would be a 3 seconds or less...but, okay. A second is a big deal considering here's where Landry was at 12:27...

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/kruss1971/1227a_zpse196ddd1.png

And, still within the same second...

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/kruss1971/1227b_zps1014c2dc.png

So, you tell him to step up...which he does. That's the point where we reach your shot at 12:26...

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i367/achiro1/50f8a2273763cab2dfc1acdc494eee5b.jpg

And then, at 12:25...

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/kruss1971/1225_zps21aecf9a.png

But, I suppose you're right...Landry is easily to blame for that one. Plenty of room and plenty of time.

achiro
9/24/2012, 07:21 PM
LOL, the point is that the pocket never collapsed but he ran.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2012, 07:22 PM
I have to agree with the OP just because it is very long and s/he must have put a lot of thought in it.

But with my attention span - hey, there goes a pretty bird. Is it dinner time already? Gotta go.

BeaSooner
9/24/2012, 07:34 PM
The wind was "squeaky-deaky on Saturday night"....that was the problem.

Edmond Sooner
9/24/2012, 07:39 PM
You've had yours.

toast
9/24/2012, 07:50 PM
I usually don't get upset with other Sooner fans. I consider them amateurs since I know what every play is going to be before the ball is snapped and can correctly devise the perfect defensive game plan for each opponent. If only Stoops would listen to me he would have 7 nat'l championships by now.

8timechamps
9/24/2012, 07:51 PM
I read the entire post, and agree with just about everything. I think the bottom line (the point the OP is making), is scapegoats make a loss worse.

SoonerStormchaser
9/24/2012, 08:12 PM
And **** like this is why I stopped caring about OU football five years ago...

Seriously, my tuition dollars went to these folks...spin it however you want to, but the fact of the matter is that my tuition dollars supported their free rides...so I get to be entitled to OCCASIONALLY bitch and complain about their lack of performance. Landry Jones, I'm talking to YOU!

Anywho...this fanbase, as a whole, has this huge entitlement chip on their shoulder that we should be winning a MNC every year or else people need to be benched or fired. Nope...

Here's what needs to happen: Bob Stoops needs to turn into an *******...look at all the coaches who've won MNC's in the past few years...Meyer, Lester, Saban, Chizik, and Carrol...all *******s. Of course, they all have cheated to win those titles too...

Hmmmm...