PDA

View Full Version : Does Stoops teach "tackling" to the secondary?

Tear Down This Wall
9/24/2012, 03:23 PM
Tired of the whole throwing the shoulder into the runner/receiver bit. Can they please get Javon Harris to wrap up?

Breadburner
9/24/2012, 03:30 PM
Yes...Because Roy Williams never did that.....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/24/2012, 03:36 PM
WAY BACK when I played highschool ball, our coaches would have screamed us down if we tried to block down a ball carrier, instead of trying to tackle him. FWIW

cccasooner2
9/24/2012, 03:38 PM
Everage did it that way until he could no longer raise his arms.

yermom
9/24/2012, 03:50 PM
Harris seems well on his way to that

Tear Down This Wall
9/24/2012, 04:01 PM
Yes...Because Roy Williams never did that.....

Are we really going to compare the play of Javon Harris to TRRW?

I mean, Rick Fox and Michael Jordan were both guys from North Carolina who could play guard and forward. So...why weren't Boston and the Lakers building their squads around Fox?

Javon Harris is as far from TRRW as Fox was from Jordan...and, probably further. If Javon Harris begins to take over whole ball games....

Who are we kidding? The kid needs to learn to tackle. I can't imagine that Stoops looks at Harris and is in any way reminded of TRRW.

I need a drink.

FtwTxSooner
9/24/2012, 04:02 PM
Wrapping up and form tackles don't get you on Sportscenter.

badger
9/24/2012, 04:43 PM
I always wondered if players had extremely sore arms/hands ---if that was the reason so many just try to bump their opponent to the ground rather than wrap them up. Is it easy to get your fingers pinches in the opponent's shoulder pads? Does it hurt to get bruises on your fingers as opposed to your back when you make contact with your opponent?

SoonerInFortSmith
9/24/2012, 05:13 PM
I always wondered if players had extremely sore arms/hands ---if that was the reason so many just try to bump their opponent to the ground rather than wrap them up. Is it easy to get your fingers pinches in the opponent's shoulder pads? Does it hurt to get bruises on your fingers as opposed to your back when you make contact with your opponent?

During the game adrenaline keeps it from hurting too much. Yes you might feel it between plays but I never once thought of not wrapping a guy up because I was sore or tired. The morning after the game is when everything really hurts.

cccasooner2
9/24/2012, 05:23 PM
During the game adrenaline keeps it from hurting too much. Yes you might feel it between plays but I never once thought of not wrapping a guy up because I was sore or tired. The morning after the game is when everything really hurts.

Are we talking about homo sex or football here?

stoopified
9/24/2012, 05:27 PM
no

birddog
9/24/2012, 05:38 PM

i rarely see someone wrap up unless it is one v one in space. otherwise it's shoulder tackling in college and now that you mention it, it does seem like some of the guys don't want to damage their manacures.

goingoneight
9/24/2012, 06:12 PM
That was the biggest knock since Mike left in 2003. The BV defenses would have been a hell of a lot better if they just knew how to tackle. I can already think of four touchdowns between Boise State and WVU in the back-to-back Fiasco Bowls where whiffing attempts at tackles were to blame.

cccasooner2
9/24/2012, 06:54 PM
Whiffing blocks ala Eldridge vs Fla. are just as bad.

goingoneight
9/24/2012, 06:57 PM
Matt Clapp missed badly on the 4th down stop, I know. The video is on YouTube.

SOONER44EVER
9/24/2012, 07:33 PM
Our players aren't as good as they used to be and our coaches don't coach as well as they used to. it's pretty simple really.

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2012, 09:19 PM
The thing of it is, if your wrap up when tackling, you are actually less sore the next day.

Yes, you can picnh a finger, jam a finger, or break a nail. But wrapping up instead of going for the big it will actuall slow the ball carrier down more and it also ensures you have him. Even if you can't get him down, the guy is a lot slower with a player draped on him than without. This allows the rest of the defenders to catch up and make the tackle.

Man less than 10 years ago, Stoops would be irrate with players not form tackling. I guess times have changed.

85sooners
9/25/2012, 02:37 AM

Fiatil
9/25/2012, 05:26 PM
I know this is some extremely credible information, but I'll say it anyways. A few random guys who were tailgating wandered up to our front yard to watch the game after halftime, one of whom said that his nephew is on the team playing defense. His nephew claims they never practice tackling in practice; their top concern is player health and they tackle less in practice than he ever did in high school. He wasn't extremely drunk, and seemed like a nice guy, so I'm taking his word for it.

Collier11
9/25/2012, 07:50 PM
First of all, I dont even know that Jovan Harris should be on the field anymore...second, its ok to do it if yer gonna knock a guy on his ***, I dont think any of our guys can

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/26/2012, 12:58 AM
The thing of it is, if your wrap up when tackling, you are actually less sore the next day.

Yes, you can picnh a finger, jam a finger, or break a nail. But wrapping up instead of going for the big it will actuall slow the ball carrier down more and it also ensures you have him. Even if you can't get him down, the guy is a lot slower with a player draped on him than without. This allows the rest of the defenders to catch up and make the tackle.

Man less than 10 years ago, Stoops would be irrate with players not form tackling. I guess times have changed.

As someone who played football, I figured you'd immediately recognize what is happening to Javon. The dude is getting a stinger anytime he hits someone with his shoulder pads (which is also why he is ducking his head now). The same crap happened to me until I condititioned myself to keep my arms above my shoulders to keep that stupid nerve covered.

And for those of you who have never had the pleasure of getting a stinger -> When you hit them, its like like someone takes a ball peen hammer to your funny bone except the funny bone is in your shoulder. Your arm immediately goes numb and pain shoots through your entire body (especially your back). You then walk around with your arm dangling for about 3-4 minutes before feeling comes back.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/26/2012, 01:00 AM
I know this is some extremely credible information, but I'll say it anyways. A few random guys who were tailgating wandered up to our front yard to watch the game after halftime, one of whom said that his nephew is on the team playing defense. His nephew claims they never practice tackling in practice; their top concern is player health and they tackle less in practice than he ever did in high school. He wasn't extremely drunk, and seemed like a nice guy, so I'm taking his word for it.

They lost 2-3 guys in practice to ACL tears about 5-6 years ago. Since that point, they frown on taking people to the ground. That is a Stoops thing.

PLaw
9/26/2012, 09:56 AM
Tired of the whole throwing the shoulder into the runner/receiver bit. Can they please get Javon Harris to wrap up?

Hmm, this summer I got blasted for suggesting this after GKM had a piece where he said that he was learning to how to tackle for the first time with Schiano. Look at the 1999-2003 game tapes. Those kids played sound fundamental football in all phases of the game. Plug in a recent game tape and notice the difference. Pictures paint a thousand words.

Boomer

Tear Down This Wall
9/26/2012, 10:14 AM
Hmm, this summer I got blasted for suggesting this after GKM had a piece where he said that he was learning to how to tackle for the first time with Schiano. Look at the 1999-2003 game tapes. Those kids played sound fundamental football in all phases of the game. Plug in a recent game tape and notice the difference. Pictures paint a thousand words.

Boomer

Glad that there are others on board with tackling over kill shots.