PDA

View Full Version : Will Stoops pull Landy?

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 08:34 AM
ok, not bashing Jones, but Stoops in the past has pulled other players for not performing...will or would he ever pull Landry?

Didn't watch the game, had it the phone but reading all the articles it seems Landry made some poor decisions. Which I understand is part of the game, but you need a QB that "thinks" quickly more of a reaction I'd guess.

Just asking...

jk the sooner fan
9/24/2012, 08:35 AM
no

Boomer.....
9/24/2012, 08:36 AM
Absolutely not

winout
9/24/2012, 08:41 AM
Can't think of a single qb he's pulled.

GameWarden
9/24/2012, 08:48 AM
Mich. QB threw 3 picks Sat. against ND. They didn't pull him. ND QB threw one and he was out of there. lol.

If Landry has another game like the one he just played, the pressure on Stoops will be enormous to play one of the other guys.

badger
9/24/2012, 08:53 AM
A thousand times no. In all other cases of Stoops pulling starters, there's a capable guy behind him. I am not knocking Bell and Allen by any means, but quarterback is a position that relies a LOT on gameday experience, as opposed to, say, running back or wide receiver.

If we decide to mail it in this year, I could see Stoops putting in Bell or Allen to prepare for next season. Or, if Landry is injured... otherwise, NO

cleller
9/24/2012, 08:53 AM
Never happen. That type of experience ratio is too big of a factor.

XingTheRubicon
9/24/2012, 08:58 AM
Can't think of a single qb he's pulled.

Paul Thompson can.

PrideMom
9/24/2012, 09:05 AM
Kenny Stills does not run his routes correctly. He often stops too soon, or turns the wrong way....

madillsoonerfan5353
9/24/2012, 09:13 AM
Saturday was a total team suck effort.

sooneron
9/24/2012, 09:19 AM
THIS ^

ouleaf
9/24/2012, 09:19 AM
While I'm as ready for the Landry Jones era to be over with, Stoops won't pull him this year unless he's injured.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 09:30 AM
Understand the points of why...but obviously game day experience wasn't an issue (pulling Landry and putting Bell in) for short yardage last yr (putting him in on crucial plays).

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 09:35 AM
Saturday was a total team suck effort.

really? paper said the TOs (landry 2 bell 1) led to 17 ksu points (the one TD on the first fumble - plus the lack of scoring on bell's TO was bad). We had 10 more first downs, had 10+ more yards I think...I'd say defensively they played pretty decent. Yes the D gave up too many 3rd downs for 1st downs but sp teams didn't give up any momentum changing plays. Coaches (quotes in paper) disagree as far as the oline protection went as well.

KantoSooner
9/24/2012, 09:42 AM
Well, people have been saying for the past four years that Landry was almost there, that he just needed a little more 'experience'. Shiite. He's got more experience than Sam had when he won the Heisman. He's got more experience than any QB I can think of. He's got a canon for an arm, he's moving better, his mechanics are improved. His brain, however, seems to have been going backwards.
Bell gets criticized for making a 'freshman' error with his fumble. Well, at least he has never been a Div 1 starter. Landry has for four years. What is more distressing? A young QB making young QB mistakes? Or a veteran who just can't seem to quite focus after years on the job?

Whether he's benched or not, Bob needs to be very, very sure that Mr. Jones pulls his head out of his *** soon. Like now.

Soonerus
9/24/2012, 09:43 AM
Stoops will never pull Landry...

tator
9/24/2012, 10:11 AM
Ya, we need an experienced guy in there. A young guy might do something stupid like two-hand push pass towards the back of a running back that's not looking.

badger
9/24/2012, 10:13 AM
Stoops will never pull Landry...
Not even after he graduates. He'll make him eligible longer than Jason White :P

KABOOKIE
9/24/2012, 10:21 AM
Paul Thompson can.

Heh. Stoops is racist.

Tear Down This Wall
9/24/2012, 10:27 AM
ok, not bashing Jones, but Stoops in the past has pulled other players for not performing...will or would he ever pull Landry?

Didn't watch the game, had it the phone but reading all the articles it seems Landry made some poor decisions. Which I understand is part of the game, but you need a QB that "thinks" quickly more of a reaction I'd guess.

Just asking...

Okay, here's part of the problem: you have to watch the game to understand that Landry was not the main problem. We've been to all three games, and I can tell you that these four receivers - Stills, Brown, Metoyer, and Shepherd - are not good route runners.

These guys spend the off-season getting their timing right. Well...this off-season, three guys who were supposed to be here had their scholarships taken away and are not playing.

Brown, Metoyer, and Shepherd get here in the fall. So, Landry has three guys to get timing down with instead of maybe just one new guy.

This is a problem. And, Landry addressed it after the game by saying the team was going to have to practice better.

I honestly have no explanation for Stills. He should be the leader of the group. He can make some sensational catches at times. At others time, though, he looks like a freshman out there with incomplete routes.

OU has chosen this highly timing-based offense. And, unfortunately, this year there are at least five new parts to it - three new receivers, two new linemen.

I'm not going to make excuses for Landry, but he was man enough to own up to his errors. Football is a team game, but the QB and coach will always be blamed most in losses and given too much credit in wins. Landry understands it.

I think he sent a message to his fellow offensive players during his post game interview. Those four receivers need to grow up - yes, the seniors and the freshmen.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 10:32 AM
ok, I get it, but I did watch the first 2..I agree the new personal is an issue, 2 new lineman are huge issues. Guess the lack of throwing the ball away while OUT OF THE POCKET on the first fumble then throwing off-balance for the pick..2 things he SHOULD know better. Both Stoops AND Landry agreed on.

IF we don't have the personal for a "highly timing-based offense" then we NEED to adjust..that is on Stoops.

As far as the "better practice", they ALWAYS say that after a loss...hear it EVERY TIME, along with the "focus better".

cherokeebrewer
9/24/2012, 10:36 AM
My wife actually asked me this question yesterday. I said "Not unless Landry gets injured or continues to play as poorly as he did Saturday and we go on an extended losing streak, in which case Bob Stoops will have a big decision to make". I followed that by reminding her of the many times Landry has played well, hopefully he will again and pulling him would become a non-issue.

Jack T.
9/24/2012, 10:39 AM
While I'm as ready for the Landry Jones era to be over with, Stoops won't pull him this year unless he's injured.

This. . .very, very this. While it's not a good idea to change horses in midstream, there does come a point when the horse you're riding just flat hasn't shown the ability to get across the stream.

KantoSooner
9/24/2012, 10:41 AM
TDTW,
I have not been to any games this season. I've watched all of them on tv. Disclaimer done.

Now, Metoyer has been here since January, right? And Brown is a senior. Not here but for fall workouts, but hardly a newb.

Last week, in his presser, Stoops commented that one of the sacks that FAMU got was 'not on the line.' That, in essence, the QB has a pretty simple job to do: make two reads, and, if no one's open, throw the ball to the pretty girl three rows up in the stands. I was not baying for Landry's head after FAMU. I am not happy now because, even after his slack jawed stupidity against FAMU was pointed out to him by his head coach in a televised press conference...he came back and DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING. I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but even as a teenager, I could filter through shiite like this and figger out what was going to get my butt chewed. Not so, apparently, for Mr. Jones.

There was plenty of room for improvement all over the field, but the fact remains that the rest of the team played well enough to win on Saturday. Jones lost the game. And it isn't the first time.

He's become our Steven Garcia.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 10:49 AM
IF OU goes into an extended losing steak...he better pull Landry.

Guess my whole question was he's pulled many guys before (skill positions) and LJ is a 4 YEAR starter and doing some of the same stupid stuff...doesn't seem to be that way with other guys if they screw up.

Tear Down This Wall
9/24/2012, 10:51 AM
ok, I get it, but I did watch the first 2..I agree the new personal is an issue, 2 new lineman are huge issues. Guess the lack of throwing the ball away while OUT OF THE POCKET on the first fumble then throwing off-balance for the pick..2 things he SHOULD know better. Both Stoops AND Landry agreed on.

IF we don't have the personal for a "highly timing-based offense" then we NEED to adjust..that is on Stoops.

As far as the "better practice", they ALWAYS say that after a loss...hear it EVERY TIME, along with the "focus better".

Well, in most circumstances, yes. But, remember, Stoops lets the offensive people do what they do without much interference. That means turning it over to humans like Cale Gundy, Josh Heupel, Jay Norvell, and James Patton. Oh, yeah...and that tight ends coach who was an attorney.

I sometimes wonder if Bob has the ability to be the CEO he needs to be sometimes. You sometimes have to be a hardass with your employees. I just don't see it in him.

What I fear most is this: that's the same way Mack Brown is. Mack went on and on with the same coaching staff and Texas got really lazy...to the point of a losing season and two consecutive losing records in conference.

I wonder if Bob will call in Norvell and jump up his *** for the crappy play of the receivers. Will he get onto Patton for the pressure allowed on Landry? Will he run Kittle into the ground for the tight ends not being a presence in the pass game?

And on and on.

Tear Down This Wall
9/24/2012, 10:55 AM
If the starter - Landry doesn't have good timing with the three new receivers, why do you expect it to be different with Bell?

Also, let's remember that Bell fumbled inside the three yard line. His job was infinitely more simple than Landry's: no reads to make, take the snap, and run forward with blocking backs in front of him. He drops the snap.

So, we are all certain the answer is to pull Landry?

TUSooner
9/24/2012, 11:08 AM
I wish people would stop defending Landry the QB just because Landry the college guy is a wonderful person. Landry Jones the big-time QB absolutely stunk up the joint on Saturday night, when even a mediocre performance probably would have been enough to snag the victory. And just because he's our best QB doesn't mean his mindless blunders are OK. When he's good (mostly against ho-hum defenses), he lights up the scoreboard and rewrites the recond book. But when he's bad against a solid aggressive defense, he's pathetic. If LJ has another clueless couple of games like the one he just had, and we 're out of the running for the Big 12 title, I would not be shocked to see Bob put in someone else to get them some experience for the future. But even in that situation I would not bet more than the change in my pocket that Bob would yank him. (Which leads me to say that the good and bad of Bob Stoops is that winning is not the only or even the most important thing.)

winout
9/24/2012, 11:12 AM
Paul Thompson can.

Thompson was a WR so apparently he didn't even know.

Just shows more Stoops' incompetency in regards to QBs. Goes into the season with a wide receiver as his backup.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 11:18 AM
If the starter - Landry doesn't have good timing with the three new receivers, why do you expect it to be different with Bell?

Also, let's remember that Bell fumbled inside the three yard line. His job was infinitely more simple than Landry's: no reads to make, take the snap, and run forward with blocking backs in front of him. He drops the snap.

So, we are all certain the answer is to pull Landry?

Stoops holds every other player accountable for their mistakes (pulls them and they don't get back in)...for the most part. Not saying pulling him is the answer, just don't agree with some posters on why we shouldn't....game experience, 4 yrs, very good at times, other players not stepping up....etc.

if the answer is game experience then what happens next yr when NONE of our qbs have had any game experience worth a crap.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/24/2012, 11:25 AM
really? paper said the TOs (landry 2 bell 1) led to 17 ksu points (the one TD on the first fumble - plus the lack of scoring on bell's TO was bad). We had 10 more first downs, had 10+ more yards I think...I'd say defensively they played pretty decent. Yes the D gave up too many 3rd downs for 1st downs but sp teams didn't give up any momentum changing plays. Coaches (quotes in paper) disagree as far as the oline protection went as well.

Really the same papers we all bash the writers for being asstards? Mike Stoops is doing what he can with what he's got, but if your Free Safety has double digit tackles in every game your D sucks balls. If you have a Tight End "sneak" into the flat on the biggest drive of the game twice then yeah I say as a team we sucked Saturday!

opksooner
9/24/2012, 11:30 AM
.....or send out the laundry?

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 11:40 AM
Really the same papers we all bash the writers for being asstards? Mike Stoops is doing what he can with what he's got, but if your Free Safety has double digit tackles in every game your D sucks balls. If you have a Tight End "sneak" into the flat on the biggest drive of the game twice then yeah I say as a team we sucked Saturday!

not sure if they are tards or not...I'm up here in KC so any news worth a crap is from there...or AP/ESPN article..that have QUOTES from the coaches. Don't give much to the writers themselves.

I Am Right
9/24/2012, 11:42 AM
Even Justin Fuente could win a big game

kevpks
9/24/2012, 11:52 AM
I can tell you that these four receivers - Stills, Brown, Metoyer, and Shepherd - are not good route runners.

I don't see how you could say that Shephard is not a good route runner. I've seen Metoyer run his routes too close to the sidelines at times and I have seen Stills not finish routes. Shepard, however, has seen limited action and has had more impact plays per snap than anyone outside of Blake Bell.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see us "expand" the Belldozer like Stoops talked about in the Spring. That package was developed in part because Landry errr....the team can't complete passes in the redzone. I know Blake fumbled last game, but that was one play. We're 6-4 in our last ten games. Blake is a big reason why we won some of those games (Iowa) and helped bring us back in others (Baylor). Part of this is not Landry's fault, but Blake compensates for a lot of what is wrong with this offense by creating matchup problems.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 01:14 PM
my buddy told me at lunch that the snap to Bell although there was low..? yes/no?

SOONERMANN13
9/24/2012, 01:20 PM
it wasn't so low that Bell shouldn't have handled it cleanly and scored. I'm not a Landry hater nor a Landry praiser but the problem to me is play calling. we had them on their heels in the up tempo then bam, we go super slow again. This clearly peeved Stills but that's besides the point. Bell makes that catch and scores from the 1 and we win. simple as that. yes the team stunk it up as a whole, yes Landry made poor decisions and poor throws but we wouldn't be having such a melt down with an ugly win

madillsoonerfan5353
9/24/2012, 01:22 PM
my buddy told me at lunch that the snap to Bell although there was low..? yes/no?

I sit in Sec 33 and it was at the north end, but to me he ran before he had the ball the snap may have been a lil low tho?

soonerboy_odanorth
9/24/2012, 01:22 PM
The question was asked at the presser today in as gentle a way it could be asked.... like "if he were to keep making the same mistakes would he be pulled?"

The response from Stoops, predictably, "No." No explanation, no nothing. That's the end of that.

birddog
9/24/2012, 01:26 PM
"landy" will not be pulled. is bell another klein or tebow? it looks like this team is pieced together, patchin holes all over the place. this doesn't look like OU football right because of it. as far as blame, black is east, up is white. they just don't look organized.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 01:39 PM
"landy" will not be pulled. is bell another klein or tebow? it looks like this team is pieced together, patchin holes all over the place. this doesn't look like OU football right because of it. as far as blame, black is east, up is white. they just don't look organized.

lol...my bad...you are the first to see that! I'll change it. (it wasn't on purpose just a goof)

birddog
9/24/2012, 01:47 PM
indeed, jeepfellow. took me a few glances.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 01:53 PM
well crud..won't change in thread title...surprised I didn't catch a lot of flak for it! from this crowd! lol.

dennis580
9/24/2012, 01:55 PM

Just asking...

No, and he shouldn't. Even though Landry looked like a true freshemen out there totally uncomfortable, and scared; it is totally unheard to pull a 4 year starting QB with insane stats like Landry. Simply put Landry has earned the right to finish out his career as a starter.

I Am Right
9/24/2012, 01:57 PM
Will Stoops pull Landry, No, should he YES!

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 02:03 PM
No, and he shouldn't. Even though Landry looked like a true freshemen out there totally uncomfortable, and scared; it is totally unheard to pull a 4 year starting QB with insane stats like Landry. Simply put Landry has earned the right to finish out his career as a starter.

ok, can't tell if you are joking or are serious..OU Football is a MULTI-MILLION dollar CORPORATION...and unfortunately there are a lot of people with $$$ that don't believe he has earn jack except for the scholarship he gets every year and if keeping him the "starter" because he "earned" it gets that corporation unsuccessful then Stoops isn't very smart.

With that said I'm NOT saying Landry sucks Bell is better or even that Landry SHOULD be pulled...I merely asked WOULD Stoops ever pull him...because his (Stoops) previous behavior says no (.maybe that is your point?) except with all other players.

wishbonesooner
9/24/2012, 02:28 PM
Not in a million years. That would be admitting to a mistake. This is Landry Jones' team, we'll rise or fall with him.

tator
9/24/2012, 02:40 PM
Not in a million years. That would be admitting to a mistake. This is Landry Jones' team, we'll rise or fall with him.

Unfortunately, you're right. And it's very depressing.

SoonerorLater
9/24/2012, 02:56 PM

No way will he pull Landry. Pulling Landry Jones really wouldn't solve our offensive problems anyway ................... unless we pretty much scuttle our current shotgun schemes and put Bell under center with a two back set an do some down hill running. We have done this type of thing once before in 1970 when Barry Switzer convinced Chuck Fairbanks to change to the Wishbone formation midway in the season. The rest is history as they say. I think the chances of this happening are close to zero.

I really wouldn't have a problem with Stoops continuing along the current path of trying to improve what we have if he feels it gives us the best chance to win games. However inside of me I can't help feeling that Stoops will continue on the current path even if there might be another option just because he is stubborn.

PalmBeachSooner
9/24/2012, 03:00 PM
A thousand times no. In all other cases of Stoops pulling starters, there's a capable guy behind him. I am not knocking Bell and Allen by any means, but quarterback is a position that relies a LOT on gameday experience, as opposed to, say, running back or wide receiver.

If we decide to mail it in this year, I could see Stoops putting in Bell or Allen to prepare for next season. Or, if Landry is injured... otherwise, NO

Eggzackery!

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 03:01 PM
even if there might be another option just because he is stubborn.

a lot of HCs (even in HS, at least the ones I've meet) are fairly conceded and don't like to admit they were wrong or try alternatives...but who am I but a lowly poster!

SoonerorLater
9/24/2012, 03:14 PM
I guess it's not just a bunch of disgruntled bandwagon OU fans that have zeroed in on Landry Jones. Apparently by the quotes below from a KSU player rattling Landry Jones was part of the game plan. I'm sure this won't go unnoticed by every other team on the schedule this year.

--------------
The most alarming quote for the rest of the season came from the K-State locker room. Underscoring Snyder's perceived game plan, defensive end Adam Davis noted that the Wildcats "knew" Jones was not good with pressure and practiced all week on flushing him out of the pocket.

"Get to his blindside and he's going to get jittery," Davis said. "When we'd get upfield and start jabbing his feet real quick -- that let us know that he don't like nobody on his blindside, and we tried to attack it all night."

TheHumanAlphabet
9/24/2012, 03:17 PM

Mid-tier bowl, here we come...

Tear Down This Wall
9/24/2012, 03:20 PM

I thought it was low, but it wasn't on the ground. With the thousands of snaps he's seen in his lifetime in practice and in games, surely this can't be an excuse.

A snap over the head...excuse. A snap on the ground, bouncing wildly...excuse. Just a lower snap than normal...no.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 03:45 PM
agree...just curious, some of the responses about Bell fumbling the ball acted like it was a perfect snap...not that he shouldn't have got it, just comparing LJ's mistakes a 5th yr 4 yr starter that led to points for ksu/no points for OU to Bell's fumble.

8timechamps
9/24/2012, 03:52 PM
ok, can't tell if you are joking or are serious..OU Football is a MULTI-MILLION dollar CORPORATION...and unfortunately there are a lot of people with $$$ that don't believe he has earn jack except for the scholarship he gets every year and if keeping him the "starter" because he "earned" it gets that corporation unsuccessful then Stoops isn't very smart.

With that said I'm NOT saying Landry sucks Bell is better or even that Landry SHOULD be pulled...I merely asked WOULD Stoops ever pull him...because his (Stoops) previous behavior says no (.maybe that is your point?) except with all other players.

OU is not a multi-million dollar corporation. The last time OU let donors make the call, Charles Thompson ended up on the front page of SI in an orange jumpsuit. Landry is the best QB on the team right now. This isn't the NFL, Stoops isn't going to throw in the towel because OU didn't make the playoffs, just to get the next guy more experience.

There is absolutely no reason to think Bell should replace Landry barring an injury. Of course, when the starter is playing poorly, the back up is always the most popular player on the team.

8timechamps
9/24/2012, 03:55 PM
I thought it was low, but it wasn't on the ground. With the thousands of snaps he's seen in his lifetime in practice and in games, surely this can't be an excuse.

A snap over the head...excuse. A snap on the ground, bouncing wildly...excuse. Just a lower snap than normal...no.

THIS. By game standards, the snap was perfect. Bell just took his eyes off the ball and started moving. It happens once in a while. Gabe Ikard said that Bell just started moving too soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it never happens again.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 04:00 PM
agree and disagree on the corporation...obviously it's not a true "corporation" and I wasn't implying that Stoops would listen to donors. Just knowing Stoops has shown stubborn attitude towards this issue with QBs was curious if folks think he MIGHT ever pull LandRy. I also believe that the Sooner backers are not going to be happy with subpar seasons (on OU standard).

cleller
9/24/2012, 04:22 PM
THIS. By game standards, the snap was perfect. Bell just took his eyes off the ball and started moving. It happens once in a while. Gabe Ikard said that Bell just started moving too soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it never happens again.

Snap looked just fine. Standing there looking at the end zone, facing a wall of screaming fans, trying to catch a snap and run into the middle of the defense has to be a pretty tall order, no matter how much you practice it.

85sooners
9/24/2012, 04:37 PM

stoopified
9/24/2012, 05:29 PM
no

East Coast Bias
9/24/2012, 06:55 PM
I think the coaches could have helped Landry with some of this. When we had just gotten the lead at 10-13, Landry gets us a first down at the 20. At that point, the coaches know full well Landry is off his game in a big way, why not run the ball until they stop us. Burn the clock, take the pressure off Landry. We had been successful running the ball, Why not? The next play Landry throws a jump ball turnover and the tide turns...

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2012, 09:06 PM
I'm on the fence on this issue.

First, landry has made plenty of mistakes and then turned it on. Yet he has had games like last Saturday where it seems his head was elsewhere.

Second, sometimes a player gets to comfortable with their position on the team. So they think they are immune to the bench riding.

I don't think nor pretend to know if that is what's going on with Jones. But I do know that sometimes if you do that, it lights a fire under the player and they come back stronger than ever.

All that said, I don't see it happening. But it may not hurt if we are losing a game and putting him on the bench for a series or two to get the point across.

We don't need a QB controversy. But we definitely need Landry playing his best ball ever the rest of the season.

He needs to trust his pocket. He needs to step up into that pocket. He needs to learn how to throw it away or just tuck it and run with it.

He may not be superman out there, but he can also gain positive yards if he steps up into the pocket and then decides to run. Or he can throw it away.

The worst thing a QB can do when feeling or sensing pressure is to start trying to get outside the pocket. Its QB 101.

Breadburner
9/24/2012, 09:55 PM
Ranked 61st in the country.....