PDA

View Full Version : IT IS KINDA

SoonerKnight
9/23/2012, 04:36 PM
Sad.....that some of the fans here are so quick to jump on Bob after a tough game. Our D played to win. Had Landry not lost the ball at the endzone to give up a touchdown then what......Oh Bell he's going to save the day......Wait....he lost the ball on a snap after Landry got us down field. We turn the ball over and they get 3 points. OK....Now what well our D did not give up that many points.....Our offense has issues as far as getting rid of starting WR's and then replacing them with young guys and a transfer that are learning how to play in the big boy stadium. Let's keep this in perspective. Our O will improve. Our D was really good when you take in what they actually gave up. So, the sky is not falling and yes I am depressed about the loss but we'll come back this OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL we are talking about!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 04:39 PM
Will our timeout management improve? It hasn't in a while and now the last 2 years, we've had tight ballgames with timeout problems that have been pretty important.

OUmillenium
9/23/2012, 04:44 PM
Game 3
4-year qb should handle the ball and pressure much better.

D was ok not great...gotta be great to overcome bad days on offense.

The sky fell, its not falling.

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 04:47 PM
There is no question that there is enough blame to go around last night. The time-out mismanagement (specifically the 2 point conversion) was just not good. Also, it's very frustrating that the defense had so many communication issues last night (that resulted in some TOs). However, we didn't lose the game because we weren't prepared, or well coached. It came down to turnovers. KSU scored off of every turnover, and that'll cost you a game. That has to be cleaned up.

Bob Stoops is among the best coaches in the county. He's not coasting, he's not less intense, he's not losing it. We lost to a very good KSU team (maybe the best one they've ever had, we'll see). As bad as the players played (not all of them), we still had a chance to win. I am glad we have Bob.

There's always a lot of over-reaction here. Sometimes it's spot on, but mostly just emotional babble.

OUmillenium
9/23/2012, 04:49 PM
Good post ^

Curly Bill
9/23/2012, 04:52 PM
The reason some fans are "jumping on Bob" is that this game last night wasn't an anomaly, its almost come to be expected. Bob is supposed to be better than that, but some are beginning to wonder if he is in fact better than that?

zeke
9/23/2012, 04:53 PM
8timechamps is right

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 04:58 PM
The reason some fans are "jumping on Bob" is that this game last night wasn't an anomaly, its almost come to be expected. Bob is supposed to be better than that, but some are beginning to wonder if he is in fact better than that?

I understand why Bob is getting heat today. And, rightly so. He's probably the first one to accept some responsibility. Like I said, there's plenty to go around.

Personally, I think most of the reasons given (questioning if he still "has it") are bull****. The team was prepared last night. It came down to turnovers. I hate, HATE, to talk negatively about college players on the internet, so I'll leave it like this: If Bob is going to be blamed for last night, then he should be blamed for trusting his QB too much. You're a smart guy Curly, I know you can read between the lines on that.

Curly Bill
9/23/2012, 05:00 PM
I understand why Bob is getting heat today. And, rightly so. He's probably the first one to accept some responsibility. Like I said, there's plenty to go around.

Personally, I think most of the reasons given (questioning if he still "has it") are bull****. The team was prepared last night. It came down to turnovers. I hate, HATE, to talk negatively about college players on the internet, so I'll leave it like this: If Bob is going to be blamed for last night, then he should be blamed for trusting his QB too much. You're a smart guy Curly, I know you can read between the lines on that.

No one has to read between the lines on that, Bob trusts lots of people too much, from hanging onto coaches that clearly aren't cutting it, to players that are pissing down their leg in front of a packed house and a national TV audience.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 05:01 PM
But even the mistakes are a result of poor discipline in the players which comes down from coaches..I'm usually on the coach side of things, but when these issues repeat themselves, it's a team discipline issue..And there were more mistakes than just the turnovers..I'm hearing OU went exclusively with the shotgun last night because they don't trust the oline...OK, whose fault is that?

I love Bob, but he has to realize the buck stops with him..Time to turn into a micromanager and quit letting these assistants do what they want.

tulsaoilerfan
9/23/2012, 05:06 PM
Just curious if anyone can recall the last time we lost a day game?

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 05:09 PM
But even the mistakes are a result of poor discipline in the players which comes down from coaches..I'm usually on the coach side of things, but when these issues repeat themselves, it's a team discipline issue..And there were more mistakes than just the turnovers..I'm hearing OU went exclusively with the shotgun last night because they don't trust the oline...OK, whose fault is that?

I love Bob, but he has to realize the buck stops with him..Time to turn into a micromanager and quit letting these assistants do what they want.

I'm not surprised there isn't much trust in the O-line...this isn't the line Stoops thought he was going to have, and like you said, it ultimately is his responsibility to make sure players are ready to step up. However, I cannot blame Stoops for the fumble on the KSU 2 yard line. If we score there, it's a 10 point swing. Like I said, Bob should shoulder some blame for last night, but I don't think it's any reason to call for his head. Hell, we could finish 12-1, the Big XII champ and in a BCS game, I'm not going to say Bob has "lost it" until there's a real reason to think that. A 4 point loss to KSU at home isn't evidence.

Always_Sooner
9/23/2012, 05:26 PM
It is what it is. I think with all of the cards not falling our way going into the season it was bound to happen. Let's face it this team is flawed as the 2010 squad was. It lost later in the season to Mizzou and A&M, but found grit at the season progressed. Right now, I do not see them shaping up to compete for a big 12 title, but you never know.

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2012, 05:30 PM
8time, you have to admit that most the frustration vented here is not the typical post-loss sour grapes. In fact, I'm seen little here that would even make other fan boards meltdown threads. Most people are looking at the conclusion of last season as well as the 2 meaningful games from this season. Last night proved that the UTEP struggles were not some "first game fluke". This offense is not very good right now, and neither line is good enough to dominate any opponent outside the weakest of teams. These are hard problems that won't be fixed overnight. Most people are looking farther down the road than just this season.

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 05:33 PM
8time, you have to admit that most the frustration vented here is not the typical post-loss sour grapes. In fact, I'm seen little here that would even make other fan boards meltdown threads. Most people are looking at the conclusion of last season as well as the 2 meaningful games from this season. Last night proved that the UTEP struggles were not some "first game fluke". This offense is not very good right now, and neither line is good enough to dominate any opponent outside the weakest of teams. These are hard problems that won't be fixed overnight. Most people are looking farther down the road than just this season.

That's fair, but I still see some stuff here that makes me laugh because it's so outrageous. All in all, this really hasn't been a major meltdown (like ones we've seen in the past). In the words of Denny Green, right now the Sooners are "who we thought they were". Hopefully this team grows from this, and improves as the year progresses.

85Sooner
9/23/2012, 05:48 PM
So when is the last time the Sooners....."HAD IT"....................... it has been an awfully long time. I agree...that this has started to become a norm with BS..................How did a U like Oklahoma that has had the best backs in the world some how seem to get to the point where they have to rely on a Back up QB to make a one yard gain? When is the last time we saw a nice result on special teams? How did we get to the point where losing one receiver has such a detrimental effect....(ie: not one passing TD after Broyles got hurt last year)...What happened to linebackers flying around with their hair on fire? What happened to Lineman who could scare other QB's just by looking at them?

In over 45 years of watching OU football there were always times when one or two of these items were missing.....but now it seems like their all missing at the same time..... I really do not have an answer but all I do know is watching OU Football has become boring. I do not like having to score 50 points in the first half just to hang on to win in the 4th Qtr. I would like to see OU win a close game by coming back not running away..... I lived through Blake and will live through this but.....throughout the years OU was never boring...... But in the last two years....it has really started to turn that way....Flame away.

soonervegas
9/23/2012, 05:52 PM
It's accurate, not sad.

Always_Sooner
9/23/2012, 06:00 PM
It is going to take 1-2 years from now to rebuild into a championship caliber squad. Right now we can hope that we begin to recruit some good quality lineman on both sides of the football. In addition, they need to qualify and work out.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/23/2012, 06:07 PM

4 home losses in 11 years and its becoming expected?

tough crowd

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 06:07 PM
What is being 2-8 in games 4 pts or less at the half the last 4 years evidence of?

Whoever has said it is right..I don't think calling for his head makes sense, but changing the way he rules that sideline probably is necessary.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/23/2012, 06:09 PM
So when is the last time the Sooners....."HAD IT"..

4 seasons ago when they had a great chance to win the crystal football.

seems like an eternity...but really wasnt that long ago

pappy
9/23/2012, 06:10 PM

tough crowd

Its not the "home" losses that are becoming expected, its the losses.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 06:12 PM
I'm with you 8x on your points..i guess I'm just wondering if the same thing is going to keep repeating itself year after after year.

SoonerorLater
9/23/2012, 06:14 PM

tough crowd

I'm not sure that was the best example but since Broyles went down last year we are 4-3 across-the-board against inferior talent. Honestly when things go wrong and we are down do you expect a comeback?

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2012, 06:23 PM
To answer 85sooner, the last time we had IT was '08. Just because that team came up short in the BCS title game doesn't mean they didn't have IT, just meant UF had a little more of IT. And we were pretty close to having IT in '07 as well which is why it was so exciting anticipating the '08 season. And last season we were pretty darn good out of the gate until the wheels fell off. Had we stayed healthy and continued to play at that same level all season, I think we would have ended up in the title game. But alas, LSU would have taken us to the woodshed as we were never at that level. So it hasn't been that long, but the latest stretch of games going back to last season is worrisome. We have made changes such as bringing in Mike and getting rid of Martinez, but it may take a while for those to take hold. But what happened to an offense that put up 50 on UT, KSU, aTm last season? And where is the pipeline of highly recruited "beasts" on the OL and DL that we can't wait to develop?

Soonerus
9/23/2012, 06:29 PM
What a lot of people forget is we played the 08 title game without DeMarko Murray, a difference maker...

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2012, 06:40 PM
What a lot of people forget is we played the 08 title game without DeMarko Murray, a difference maker...

Yep, that was my main regret about '08 - not losing the title, but not having such a key player for the game. But I still say that team had IT and was an amazing, entertaining team to watch.

SoonerorLater
9/23/2012, 06:41 PM

True but after looking at Murray in the NFL I am convinced we didn't get what we could out of him injuries aside. It's just another example of NFL type talent under-achieving at OU.

SoonerKnight
9/23/2012, 08:03 PM

WOW! Name another coach that has had to replace all but one WR lose what is it 2-3 OL plus have a change at DC and DL all in one season and done better than BOB? We'll have to see because we won't know until the season is over how good he has done. The point I was making is that we still have a lot of season in front of us and we usually do pretty good with diversity! I do hop Josh did not call for a fumble when we were trying to score or when we were so close to our endzone or when LJ threw that pick. Look our D gave us the chance to win and our O was driving down field for the most part. We will get better but our QB needs to throw the ball away better. Our D gave up what 10 points last night?

Believe me no one hates losing more than me. I have a whorn fan where I work that won't let me forget it. Although I have not been so kind to him the last couple of years. Although I believe he is more deserving of the hard time than I am cuz his team does suck!!!!!!

SoonerKnight
9/23/2012, 08:07 PM

tough crowd

LOL! Exactly how dare we lose 4 times in 11 years at home!! Anyone on here acting just a little spoiled?

trwxxa
9/23/2012, 08:17 PM
Perhaps its the 3-2 record in the last five home games that has some folks concerned.

jps
9/23/2012, 08:38 PM
People are a little more emotional with this loss because they spent all year looking forward to the season with high expectations. Everyone wanted to go at least 8 - 0 to enjoy the hope and thoughts of an undefeated team and thinking about what could be and enjoy the excitement in that. When you lose in the third game of the season, people are more deflated than usual because of immediate crush of their expectations.

That being said, we still have the opportunity to play against four teams that are currently ranked ahead of us. If you are going to lose then lose early. Maybe it was a good wake up call or maybe we just aren't that good. We will find out. And that is still exciting.

oudivesherpa
9/23/2012, 08:50 PM
Just curious if anyone can recall the last time we lost a day game?
Hell, I can't remember a day game, Joe C. Must be a vampire.

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 10:11 PM
I'm with you 8x on your points..i guess I'm just wondering if the same thing is going to keep repeating itself year after after year.

We all saw something was going on after Broyles went down last year, and I'm not buying that the team can't recover from that, they have in the past. A lot of changed were made in the off-season. We are three games in, and coming off of a game we should have won. I too will be interested to see how the season progresses. We'll see if Stoops is the coach I think he is, or the one that others think he is. I heard a lot of the same stuff after we lost to TCU in '05. Stoops went on to maybe his best coaching job that year. Different situation entirely, but I think he'll quiet the naysayers. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Because I'm a pimp like that.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/23/2012, 10:26 PM

if we average a b12 title every 2 years and a trip to the BCS title game every 3 years...then I hope so.

Please dont get me wrong. I am as frustrated as anyone else about what has happened the last 3 years. But ask yourself WHAT has changed from the last time we were on the big stage. Its not the head coach. Its not the culture. Its not the routine. Its the players. and I know he has set every record in the book, but Im sorry...its the QB. I love him, I support him on Saturday, I think he's a good player and I think he has a shot to make a lot of $$ in the NFL...but he isnt the guy for this team to win a title.

All I know is that when we lost to TX in 2007 with AD in backfield and a senior ENA under center, my buddy and I were moping around the Sunday after the game talking about the fact that we Adrian was leaving. We didnt have the next QB on campus, and didnt have a 5 star recruit on the way. Everyone on this board and everywhere else was wondering if the well had run dry for the future of OU football under Bob was bleak. And low and behold, D Murray and Sam Bradford came out of the woodwork...and 2 years later we are playing for the marbles.

This year isnt the year. And next year we dont really know for sure who will call the signals...but in he not so distant future...we'll see the next kid who's statue will be next to Sams...and we'll be back on top.

Boomer