PDA

View Full Version : RIP Bob

olevetonahill
9/23/2012, 07:23 AM
Longtime news anchor Bob Hower dies

Bob Hower, a longtime news anchor for KTUL and KOTV for 37 years, died on Saturday, a source said.

Hower launched Tulsa's first TV newscast with KOTV in 1949 with the words, "Good evening, let's look at the news."

Hower started his broadcast career with radio station KTUL, moved on to KOTV and then worked at TV stations in San Diego and Chicago before returning to Tulsa.

Hower's series "Waiting Child," which started in 1980, was an award-winning series in conjunction with the Oklahoma Department of Human Services that led to hundreds of children finding homes. Hower would later call it his greatest contribution to television.

Hower was forced to retire in 1986 after developing spasmodic dysphonia, a condition that caused his voice to quiver.

A Tulsa native, Hower graduated from Tulsa Central High School. He was named homecoming king of Tulsa's centennial celebration in 1997.

Hower was a licensed pilot and in retirement picked up and delivered planes to Tulsa airplane dealers.

Hower also authored a book, "Angels of Mercy," about the American Red Cross' efforts in the aftermath of the 1921 Tulsa Race Riot. Hower's grandfather, the late Maurice Willows, was sent from the St. Louis Red Cross to lead the relief effort.

hawaii 5-0
9/23/2012, 08:11 AM
Sad to lose a familiar face.

Is Clayton Vaughn still around?

5-0

Flagstaffsooner
9/23/2012, 10:48 AM
Never heard of him, but I'm OKC guy.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 04:46 PM
Wow..I thought he died years ago..

olevetonahill
9/23/2012, 05:43 PM
Wow..I thought he died years ago..

Naw, He just stayed out the Public eye with that disease he had
He always seemed like a Good man

Wishboned
9/23/2012, 07:31 PM
Naw, He just stayed out the Public eye with that disease he had
He always seemed like a Good man

Yes he did. He was the face, and voice, of the news for me when I was growing up. I was always a Channel 8 watcher. Bob, Don Woods, Chris Lincoln. They were the team.

olevetonahill
9/23/2012, 10:13 PM
Yes he did. He was the face, and voice, of the news for me when I was growing up. I was always a Channel 8 watcher. Bob, Don Woods, Chris Lincoln. They were the team.

Yup, I was already growed , But Loved to watch Don Draw Gusty. I always thot Carol was the Waiting child person, was surprised that Bob Started it

StoopTroup
9/23/2012, 11:33 PM
I knew him well. He used to bring us his Blue Caddy to work on. He seemed to loved driving it around.

He will be missed.

RIP Bob

ouwasp
9/25/2012, 10:33 PM
Yeah, Channel 8 had the A Team with Bob, Don, and Chris... poor Bob never was the same after losing his teen daughter in that auto accident...I'm sure I never would be either...