PDA

View Full Version : Confession of a long time fan...

IronHorseSooner
9/23/2012, 04:46 AM
I have been a fan since I met Steve Owens when I was a first grader in my hometown of Miami. I remember the lows of Bury Berry, the losses to scUM, probation, and the 90s. I also remember as a very small child my dad's joy over the 70s teams, my joy over 1985 championship, the TE reverse, and 2000. I experienced the heartache of the losses to KSU and LSU on my first deployment, and the embarrassment of 2005 on my second. Much like others here, I counted down the days this year to see our Sooners play. Needless to say, I have been there for the long haul, and I am about as true an OU fan as there is.

That all being said, I feel like this program has significant issues- from players, to coaches, to the administration. These days, the players fall in to one of three categories. The first category are guys who truly act as if they are glad to be Sooners, but either aren't getting the development or given a chance to showcase what they can really do. These are guys like Whaley, DD Williams, Clay, Millard, Bird, Phillips, Allen, ikard, King, and Colvin. With these guys, the fault lies with the coaches. The second group are the guys who talk a big game, but either just flat out don't deliver or don't inspire their team mates to deliver. These are guys like LJ, TJ, Stills, RJ, McFarland, Wort, and Hurst. What is frustrating about that group is that a bunch of those guys end up at the next level. The final group are, bluntly, idiots. These are guys who have all the talent in the world, but throw it all away by suspensions and/or lackadaisical behavior. These are guys like Reynolds, Grissom, Franks, Hayes, Finch, McGee, and Peterson. What is maddening is that there is not a lack of talent here, and with the number of these guys who will end up on Sundays, it shows. This gets to my second issue.

The coaching staff is completely misaligned. Why do we have co-coordinators for anything? Either you are in charge or you are not. Why do we have two DL and OL coaches, but yet look so discombobulated? Why do we have coaches who are both coordinators and positional coaches? Why did we wait until this year finally to have a Special Teams coach? IMHO, we have skill position coaches on offense who should just stay that way- positional coaches. Cale should stay with the backs, Josh with the QBs, and Norvell with the WRs. These guys are good as positional guys, but are in over their heads as coordinators. Patton and Kitte both need to go, as this area has had no development over the past few years. There needs to be just one guy for the OL/TEs. This would free up a position for a full time OC, ala Mangino. This needs to be someone who commands the respect of his subordinates and players, and holds them personally responsible. On D, there needs to be one guy for the DL. Right now, that should probably be Wright, as he is a good recruiter. Coach Shipp has not been the same since GK left, and even then, he could have done a lot better with what he had. We need a full time DBs coach. This would free up Mike to manage the game at a more executive level. We should also put him in charge of STs, just to light a fire under them, and hold them accountable. Another question is about Coach Schmidt- why are there so many dang injuries? Yes, we do look well-conditioned, but we also look rigid and inflexible. As some who has been through numerous physical readiness training with the Army, I can tell that these guys look physically overstressed. That can make folks more injury prone. All of this lies with the man in charge of all of this, and he looks like he has no fire. He looks complacent and entitled himself. This permeates with his players and coaches. If he is unwilling to make the necessary changes for success, then maybe there needs to be a major change.

This leads to my final point- the administration. They seem to be about two things- image and money. Instead of looking at deal to better brand the team, he stuck up his nose at the SEC every time that they asked. Now at 14 teams, they may never ask again. Then, when he did have a chance to move to the conference he wanted, the PAC 12, he hitched himself to UTerus, and the plan imploded. Now we set in a conference that is still controlled by UTerus and their minions, and is being passed by that likes of the ACC and the PAC 12. Joe C seems to care more about ticket sales and donors than the product on ther field. He waited about a season too late to fire Capel, and now look where we are. These two are examples of an administration that is too complacent or that their time has passed them by.

As a fan who has seen and experienced a lot, I just am not going to put as much effort or care into a brand that is settling for a lesser product. For a program that was voted #1 all time by a few sources, we need to start acting like it. Until then, I may glance over to see what is happening, but I have more important things to do in my life than follow a program that acts like this, up and down the line!

BajaOklahoma
9/23/2012, 08:39 AM
Can't disagree.

IronHorseSooner
9/23/2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks, as this not saying that I am no longer a fan. What it is saying is that until there are wholesale from the coaches, to players, to the administration, I won't be making my plans around games and ther events.

En_Fuego
9/23/2012, 09:40 AM
:encouragement:

Rhino
9/23/2012, 09:52 AM
You're right. Jefferson's 14 tackles on a bum ankle wasn't delivering or inspiring his teammates to deliver.

OklahomaSooners
9/23/2012, 10:25 AM
You're right. Jefferson's 14 tackles on a bum ankle wasn't delivering or inspiring his teammates to deliver. He wasnt talking about one person, He was talking about the entire organization as a whole. Read his post.

bssooner1
9/23/2012, 10:44 AM
Agree with your sentiments except that Jefferson is on the wrong list IMHO, as noted by the other poster. Coaching is a big issue but not sure how it is easily corrected (i.e. complete overall).

Sabanball
9/23/2012, 10:44 AM
As someone else that also lived in Miami, OK, for 10 yrs during the Switzer yrs, I'd have to agree with a lot of what you said. Just some of my observations, fwiw--Sometimes it does appear that there are too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to how your O is ran and Landry has a great arm, he has shown that, but he seems to wilt under pressure. You guys look too finesse and last night, at least, K-State looked like the more physical team. That's not Oklahoma football. As for the whole SEC thing, I've said from the beginning that you guys belonged and I think it showed a lack of forward-thinking and perhaps even just a bit of arrogance on the part of your admin. to not even seriously consider that invitation. Again, just my opinion.

I still think Bob is the second best coach in college football, but he needs to demand more than he's getting from his staff and some of the players. All the on the field issues that I see are short term fixable and with a win in Morgantown I think you guys are right back in it.

IronHorseSooner
9/23/2012, 11:24 AM
TJ did show a lot of heart, and he might be more in category #1 versus category #2. The first category are guys that have been failed by the organization. On second thought, TJ is more in that category. Playing him at LB his first two years I bet put a lot of wear on him. I originally thought category #1 due to his Twitter stuff.

boomersooner28
9/23/2012, 12:43 PM
"You guys look too finesse and last night, at least, K-State looked like the more physical team. "

^^^THIS^^^

I am sick and tired of the finesse ***** offense, spread em out and speed em up. That BS is for the smaller schools that cant recruit the size and speed players. We got away from getting the big AND physical talents and the power I, play-action offense to this un-imaginitive BS. Everyone in the building knows exactly what we are going to do and we no longer have the talent advantage to go do it anyway. Gawd, I cannot get over how frustrated I am...I feel like it is 1997 all over again.

Rhino
9/23/2012, 04:11 PM
TJ did show a lot of heart, and he might be more in category #1 versus category #2. The first category are guys that have been failed by the organization. On second thought, TJ is more in that category. Playing him at LB his first two years I bet put a lot of wear on him. I originally thought category #1 due to his Twitter stuff. Fair enough.

He wasnt talking about one person, He was talking about the entire organization as a whole. Read his post. Yes and he also mentioned individuals - one of which I disagreed with his assessment of.

OUmillenium
9/23/2012, 04:41 PM
Texass may be ahead of the curve in going to a power run game offense to counter the finesse/speed defenses now so prevalent . Oct 13 th might be an early helloween for the Sooners.

SoonerorLater
9/23/2012, 04:44 PM
I think you hit it on the head. Co-anything is a symptom of a larger issue. Quite a few years ago when I was starting out I was told by my boss at the time, a guy whose philosophy I have adapted in my career, that saying something is "everybody's job" is the same as telling your people it's "nobody's job". In my opinion Bob Stoops is a excellent football guy but a poor manager.

Piware
9/23/2012, 10:20 PM
I'm also from Miami and have been an OU fan since watching my first game in 1955. Through the years, I thought I had seen it all but last night was an incredible disappointment. It looked like the pain of the John Blake days - no team chemistry and just a general feeling of confusion.

I have worried ever since Josh went upstairs to the booth. He seems to be the only person that can (a) pump Landry up and (b) settle him down when he gets rattled. The turnovers were awful and missed blocking assignments were all over the place.

Will never quit on them. I have a sore throat and post game day cough but will be there at the next one too. *Sign*

goingoneight
9/23/2012, 11:23 PM
Co-coordinating doesn't mean you're all screwed up and disorganized. We had three Co-DCs in 2000 that collectively masterminded the MNC run. We also had two Co-OCs in Mangino and Long. Co-something means you have a hand in designing something. Kevin Wilson and Kevin Sumlin were Co-Coordinators in 2006 and 2007 as well.

I do think, however, that our Co-OCs may not necessarily be on the same page when it comes to the passing game as it stands. Landry looked just fine for a freshman and sophomore in 2009 and 2010. Enter 2011 and even with Broyles at times it just never looked quite right. That's something they'll have to work out before one of them is quietly forced out (like Mangino, Long and Martinez were). In listening to their respective press conferences, Josh and Jay regularly seem to defer in opinions and their viewpoints.

StoopTroup
9/23/2012, 11:51 PM
It's amazing there are never many confessions before a loss.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/24/2012, 12:19 AM
You're right. Jefferson's 14 tackles on a bum ankle wasn't delivering or inspiring his teammates to deliver.Picking on specific people, and compartmentalizing a large # is bound to result in evaluation mistakes, or at least questions.

Tear Down This Wall
9/24/2012, 12:44 AM
You're right. Jefferson's 14 tackles on a bum ankle wasn't delivering or inspiring his teammates to deliver.

A safety with 14 tackles is a problem in a defense where the DL is supposed to "hold the line" open wile LBs make plays. Our DL isn't doing its job. And, the linebackers...well, many people wanted to get rid of the linebacker coach, so we did.

Tear Down This Wall
9/24/2012, 12:53 AM
Also, been posting about Schmidt/high number of injuries for years. People here pooh-pooh it as just football. But, we seem to have more than others.

For well over a decade, we've had many, many linemen quit for various reasons. Although it isn't helping us on the field, I'm happy Habern and Evans quit and, perhaps, saved their health for years.

-----

Overall, I think many of the problems we have have been able to be hidden because we play in a two-horse conference: us and Texas. The Big 12 is garbage, but we're married to Texas because Stoops and Joe Castiglione aren't about to share money the way the SEC does, or step up and compete week in and week out against the speed and caliber of competition in the SEC.

It's sad, really sad. But...onward and upward, right? Let's go see if we can beat perennially mediocre Texas Tech...a game that sadly passes for a "tough game" in this conference.