PDA

View Full Version : New defensive philosophy

Therealsouthsider
9/23/2012, 01:53 AM
...they've simplified the defensive assignments, when will they install wrapping up on tackles and pressuring the qb? Just wondering

soonercastor
9/23/2012, 02:01 AM
We lost the game on the offensive side of the ball mainly.

Sure, The D had a few 3rd and long where they could have stepped up, but just take a look at the time of possession.

zeke
9/23/2012, 02:02 AM
The defense was better but eventually got worn down. It would be nice to see guys wrap up. I'm not sure how many teams would get to K St's QB.

Therealsouthsider
9/23/2012, 02:05 AM
I know OU must have a blitz package, just wondering how it might have affected the game if utilized at any point in the game...being that KSU was never taken out of rhythm, third and long or otherwise

EatLeadCommie
9/23/2012, 02:08 AM
Defense was fine. Jeez...it should have been 14-0 OU and it was 10-3 KSU. Defense will win games this year. Problem is our offense will lose games like they did tonight.

We did have some obvious brain farts tonight defensively, but nothing we couldn't have overcome if our QB had his head in the game. LBs are our weakest element on defense.

agoo758
9/23/2012, 02:22 AM
Defense was terrific. If mike sticks around and we can get some bigger guys in there, we are gonna be really good on that site of the ball in a year or two.

OU_Sooners75
9/23/2012, 02:28 AM
The defense was not the issue here.

Turnovers were. And two turnovers directly involving the saintly Laundry, where LJ turned the ball over twice that directly caused 14 points for KSU.

Breaking down thr first half...

The OL played adequate. They moved the ball when they spread out the defensne. They had to settle for 2 FGs in three redzone drives. The other was a fumble by .bell.

the only time OU ran the ball outside the tackles the offense was able to gain positive yards everytime, again only first half. they chose to run the ball 14 times in the first half. And of those first half rushing attempts, only three were outside the tackles.all three OU gained at least 8 yards

I haven't broken down the second half. But by memory, once OU gained a 13-10 lead, OU went very conservative on offense.

Not one time did OU go hurry up in the first 3 quarters. He didn't do so until the 4th.

The defennse played very well and championship football for 3 quarters. The 4th, OU was worn out on defense.

This was a model game on how to beat OU. And will be the gane plan with any and all offenses untiil OU can line up under center. Until OU does away with zone blocking and goes assignment blocking.

Gone is the architech of the spread no huddle, hurry up offnse.

Josh Huepel will always have a giant soft spot in my heart when coming to OU. But its time he is demoted or fired. He is in way over his head in the game play calling and game planning.

Here we were 3 games in the season and we have yet to witness any of our QBs to line up under center!

That said, tackling was a problem. But going into the 4th, OU had KSU where they wanted them. In the fourth, OU was worn out of defense because KSU controlled both sides of the trenches.

After tonight, OU will be lucky to win 8 games, and winning less is a very well possibility.

Now with all that said...OU lost. No excuses at all on my end. OU is not a top 25 team this year, or at least from what they've shown on the field thusfar.

That's my $0.05 worth of opinion.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 08:48 AM
Did every single snap come out of the shotgun last night?

OU_Sooners75
9/23/2012, 09:05 AM
Yes. Not one snap under center.

SoonerMarkVA
9/23/2012, 10:41 AM
...they've simplified the defensive assignments, when will they install wrapping up on tackles and pressuring the qb? Just wondering

1000 times, YES! Jefferson and Colvin are as solid of tacklers as can be. They are outstanding. Everyone else? Wow, is about all I can say.