PDA

View Full Version : How has a guy who is going to be the most prolific QB in Big 12 history regressed so

dennis580
9/23/2012, 01:32 AM
much.

It absolutely boggles the mind. Landry is a 4 year starter playing at home against a team we scored 58 points on last year. So you would think he would be really comfortable yet he was actually scared as can be. On numerous occasions he panicked in the pocket, and either tried to get out of the pocket despite having zero mobility or started getting happy feet, and chopped his feet back, and forth so he was not set to make throws.

On the drive where we had the TE wide open in the endzone he had a very short, very easy throw for a TD, and yet he immediately panicked, and rushed the throw; throwing it behind him.

Then there was that horrid interception. Landry was under pressure, and falling backwardon his back foot, and just decided to throw the ball up.

[Landry looks like a true freshmen QB not a 4 year starter with amazing career stats. He just looks extremely uncomfortable in the pocket.

zeke
9/23/2012, 01:47 AM
All the talk about him be more mobile isnt such a great deal either. He has run into sacks and now fumbled into the endzone trying to extend plays.

jtb0928
9/23/2012, 01:49 AM
Oh he sucks so bad I am tearing my hair out watching this guy! He was terrible the last 3 games of 2011 and every game this year. He reminds me of Nate Hybl and how immobile he was with no passion. Everyone wants to see the "Belldozer" take over now is the time CMON STOOPS DON'T MAKE US WATCH THIS GUY ANYMORE! How many games does he have to suck before he takes him out?

Therealsouthsider
9/23/2012, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't draft him

Sooner91ATL
9/23/2012, 02:17 AM
I played sports competitively until I was 22, including at OU. I saw guys peak at different times. Myself, I peaked about a year before I quit competing. But I didn't realize it until I looked back on it. Sometimes, guys just reach their limit and they stagnate. I think this has happened to Landry. Maybe physically this is the best he can do, and he doesn't have nearly the talent he had around him in past years. (Our O line is really below average this year, and it was going to be so even before we lost the two starters). Maybe he is comfortable in his life and marriage, and has lost a little fire. He is certainly not a human dynamo of energy on the field or off. Maybe he wishes he were preaching, but instead is sticking around for an NFL shot to get the bucks to start a church. Maybe he just doesn't have the eye of the tiger. I find it ironic that newspaper accounts from players have him rah rahing the team this week more than usual (preacherman?), and then he goes out and farts a huge egg on the field. Maybe this just isn't his game any longer.

All that said, this team has major problems across the board. It's not just Landry. The biggest visible issues are 1) lack of fanatical effort, 2) lack of apparent desire to win, 3) lack of focus. It's been hinted at but I wonder WTF is going on behind the scenes with player cohesion. We play like a bunch of entitled jagoffs. Picture Rocky Calmus on this team - wouldn't he stand out like a diamond in a craphole instantly? But he was just one of many diamonds on his teams.

agoo758
9/23/2012, 02:19 AM
It's not much of a mystery. Jones had the greatest WR receiver in the history of OU football, and he is gone now. I bet I could rack up some yards as a QB in the NFL if I had Jerry Rice to Throw to.

MamaMia
9/23/2012, 02:38 AM
Losing Broyles and all this weird play calling isn't helping.

wishbonesooner
9/23/2012, 06:14 AM
LJ hasn't regressed, he just hasn't improved much at all since that terrible night he took over for Sam.

SoonerLB
9/23/2012, 06:27 AM
With Bell in there, at least there would be a chance for some yards, 'cause he ain't skeered to tuck the ball and run. Maybe not the ideal game plan, but it sure worked for K-State. But I don't place all the blame on Landry, a suspect OL and way less than efficient play calling have to shoulder some of the blame.

General Applewhite
9/23/2012, 06:37 AM
Any QB would play worse when the quality of the o-line performance drops bit time.....

sussudio
9/23/2012, 06:39 AM
All I know is the OL gave time like a mofo so what's his damage jeez..... We look to damn complacent....

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/23/2012, 07:44 AM
Oh he sucks so bad I am tearing my hair out watching this guy! He was terrible the last 3 games of 2011 and every game this year. He reminds me of Nate Hybl and how immobile he was with no passion. Everyone wants to see the "Belldozer" take over now is the time CMON STOOPS DON'T MAKE US WATCH THIS GUY ANYMORE! How many games does he have to suck before he takes him out?

Shut up!

cherokeebrewer
9/23/2012, 08:05 AM
He just looks extremely uncomfortable in the pocket.

He looked fairly uncomfortable out of the pocket too last night...bless his heart.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 08:54 AM
It's like the fumble blamed on the Oline where they scored.. If he steps up into the pocket, he has time to make a throw and get the ball out.. Instead, he runs from the pocket and is stripped by a pass rusher who had been taken out of the play.

PhiDeltBeers
9/23/2012, 09:03 AM
It's like the fumble blamed on the Oline where they scored.. If he steps up into the pocket, he has time to make a throw and get the ball out.. Instead, he runs from the pocket and is stripped by a pass rusher who had been taken out of the play.

^^^^winnah!

tanjou
9/23/2012, 09:05 AM
pee pee doo doo bad qb

Sooner in Tampa
9/23/2012, 09:15 AM
It's not much of a mystery. Jones had the greatest WR receiver in the history of OU football, and he is gone now. I bet I could rack up some yards as a QB in the NFL if I had Jerry Rice to Throw to.

Good lord...Players leave all time!!! I am sick of hearing about how Landry was affected by Broyles departure. Let's quite giving Jones an excuse . 5 years and he has gotten worse.

Widescreen
9/23/2012, 09:49 AM

I don't think that's it. Broyles wouldn't have caught some of those passes Landry threw out there last night. When it's 3 feet over your head or 3 feet behind you, no one catches it.

5noubus
9/23/2012, 10:45 AM
I think Some of these comments are right on. I'm not convinced Bell is better than Landry yet.
I think he should be use to new receivers by now. Is it a trust issue? He doesn't trust his o line and receivers ? He seriously looks like he never practices with pressure..
That being said, as ugly as it was, I still think we were the better team.
I will take some responsibility because the bus is still down :( - hasn't been to a game since Ou/Texas. Hopefully we will get it going for this years game.

FaninAma
9/23/2012, 10:57 AM
I was keeping track of negative plays by Landry during the game. I quit in the 3rd quarter when the count reached 16. Negative plays included under throws, over throws, throwing behind the receiver, turnovers.

If our defense lets down at all this year we will get blown out in some of our games.

The Kansas game is the only semi-sure "W" remaining on the schedule.

GameWarden
9/23/2012, 10:58 AM
LJ hasn't regressed, he just hasn't improved much at all since that terrible night he took over for Sam.

OU doesn't run the swing pass and bubble screen as much as it used to. Josh is asking Landry to make more difficult throws more often. Wilson pampered Landry and said as much. Heupel is asking him to grow up and Landry is not cutting it.

yukonsooner
9/23/2012, 11:15 AM
I have defended Landry for the last time. He should have left last year, his draft status is dropping like a dead weight. He stated the reason was to finish what he started and win another conference title and the MNC. At the time I doubted his comments and his actions on the field have cemented my belief, he knew he was getting married, Whitney had another year, and he didn't want to be away from her. I don't think he really cares, he shows absolutely no emotions, neither highs or lows. You seldom see him interacting with the other players on the sidelines. Until we can get a leader on the field that really cares about winning, I don't see improvement. Landry is not going to lead us to the promised land. Bob, we see what we have and as fans we aren't happy. Why not try something else. It is like having a job, if you know they won't fire you no matter what your job performance is, why give any extra.

budbarrybob
9/23/2012, 11:48 AM
S.PadreSooner... If you keep doing what you've been doing... you'll keep getting what you've been getting. I am in the lets try something different so Next year isn't a bust. Play like this will get us a 5 loss season. And when did you become a moderator to tell people to shut up when voicing their opinion..?

Explodo
9/23/2012, 12:45 PM
Maybe getting married has taken the edge off him...

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2012, 12:47 PM
Maybe getting married has taken the edge off him...

It certainly had that effect on me.

(What's that? Oh, nothing dear - I'll be off the computer and doing those chores in just a minute).
bye guys.

Pricetag
9/23/2012, 12:59 PM
Did anyone hear Dean Blevins on the Sports Animal earlier in the week commenting on how Landry was already talking scared, talking about how if they did this, and if they did that, they could be in the game in the fourth quarter? Somebody in the staff should have picked up on that.

Statalyzer
9/24/2012, 01:35 AM
the most prolific QB in Big 12 history

Ask anybody outside of the state of Oklahoma that question and the answer won't be Landry Jones.

I am sick of hearing about how Landry was affected by Broyles departure. Let's quite giving Jones an excuse . 5 years and he has gotten worse.

It wasn't an excuse - he was saying Broyles made the QB look better the past few years.

goingoneight
9/24/2012, 01:56 AM
All I know is the OL gave time like a mofo so what's his damage jeez..... We look to damn complacent....

You really think that? Arthur Brown got to Landry a half second after the ball did on his interception.

BigJerm7
9/24/2012, 08:21 AM
I have defended Landry for the last time. He should have left last year, his draft status is dropping like a dead weight. He stated the reason was to finish what he started and win another conference title and the MNC. At the time I doubted his comments and his actions on the field have cemented my belief, he knew he was getting married, Whitney had another year, and he didn't want to be away from her. I don't think he really cares, he shows absolutely no emotions, neither highs or lows. You seldom see him interacting with the other players on the sidelines. Until we can get a leader on the field that really cares about winning, I don't see improvement. Landry is not going to lead us to the promised land. Bob, we see what we have and as fans we aren't happy. Why not try something else. It is like having a job, if you know they won't fire you no matter what your job performance is, why give any extra.

Agreed. I was one of the "stupid" people that said we'd have been better off without him this year. He is no better than the day he stepped on the field against BYU. Sure he has all the stats, but he's played twice as many games as most of the past QB's and all his stats are padded by playing Chattanooga, and Utah St.

ouleaf
9/24/2012, 09:47 AM

Zactly!

dennis580
9/24/2012, 01:43 PM

Thats not true. He was absolutely amazing his Sophmore year, and great the 1st half of his Junior year. Then after Broyles went down it was like he ran into a brick wall.

I guess like others have said this is a case of a wr carrying a QB, but its more then that. Landry should not be playing this scared, and look this uncomfortable in the pocket.

Maybe the desire to play football is no longer there, and like somebody else said in another thread God has called him into the ministry. Which by the way is FAR more important then meaningless football games.

I Am Right
9/24/2012, 01:54 PM
A not very good system QB

birddog
9/24/2012, 01:59 PM
I don't think that's it. Broyles wouldn't have caught some of those passes Landry threw out there last night. When it's 3 feet over your head or 3 feet behind you, no one catches it.

so, is he rushing the throws because of pressure or can he not hit the broad side of the sears tower? both?

i know everyone wants answers but if we can identify the real probs and we can't correct it, it's gonna be rough watching them play.

birddog
9/24/2012, 02:03 PM
not to thread hawg but some of you seasoned vets, like olevet and troup, does it seem like it's easier to manage the stress of poor football as you age or am i gonna have high blood pressure from the age of 38 to RIP?

PalmBeachSooner
9/24/2012, 03:11 PM
I just don't see any competetiveness or passion in him. He plays with fear. I don't know if he's afraid of getting hurt or screwing up. He's too quick to bail out of the pocket and it almost always leads to something bad. I read somewhere that the KSU D-linemen could tell LJ was scared by the way he was stabbing his feet. It's kind of sad because he has the physical skills.

KantoSooner
9/24/2012, 03:13 PM
Well, I can only offer the example of my grandfather who turned 100 in May. When Landry threw the interception, he downed the last of his martini, muttered 'Bull****' and went quiet for a long time.
Doesn't seem to get easier.

trpltongue
9/27/2012, 08:07 AM
What I see is a quarterback who either doesn't have the trust, skill, or ability to read a defense and understand where / when his receivers will be open. He waits until the receiver is actually open before making the decision to throw. This does 2 things:

1) Gives the defender time to catch up to the receiver
2) Go through his progressions too quickly

There was a great example when Meteyor and Shepard were on the left running a crossing pattern and the KSU defenders were in zone. You could see Landry look left but when he did, Shepard was immediately behind the short defender so Landry moved to his next read. Unfortunately, if he had the trust or ability to read the defense he would have known that Shepard was literally 3 steps from being wide open. He could have thrown the ball immediately and hit Shepard in stride.

You see it all the time with Stills also. How many times have you seen Stills have to stop his route and wait for the ball? The ball should be in the air before the receiver makes his move. It's the QB's responsibility to understand the defense and know where the receiver is going to be and when he will be open. Landry just doesn't seem to have that ability.

85sooners
9/27/2012, 09:50 AM

C&CDean
9/27/2012, 10:21 AM
Here's the only thing I'm gonna say about Landry:

Before this season is over he's gonna have some games where we all go "Johnny Bart ****ing Starr Unitas?"

And therein lies the rub with me. I've seen Landry throw some damn pretty balls in his career...and I've seen him throw just as many passes 10-feet over a wide open receiver for a pick. I've seen him tuck the ball and pick up nice yardage...and I've seen him look like a ragdoll for a D-lineman to play with. I've seen him get blasted for a 15-yard loss...then get up - without a change in facial expression - and throw a 60-yard TD pass on the numbers.

I will never call him Landry again. Henceforth and forevermore, he will be known as Sybil in my house.

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2012, 10:33 AM

Before this season is over he's gonna have some games where we all go "Johnny Bart ****ing Starr Unitas?"

And therein lies the rub with me. I've seen Landry throw some damn pretty balls in his career...and I've seen him throw just as many passes 10-feet over a wide open receiver for a pick. I've seen him tuck the ball and pick up nice yardage...and I've seen him look like a ragdoll for a D-lineman to play with. I've seen him get blasted for a 15-yard loss...then get up - without a change in facial expression - and throw a 60-yard TD pass on the numbers.

I will never call him Landry again. Henceforth and forevermore, he will be known as Sybil in my house.

Ok, you just made me think he reminds me of his own namesake. Remember how, no matter what was happening on the field, Tom Landry's facial expression never changed? That's Landry Jones to a tee. I guess the guy could have the makings of a good poker player.

C&CDean
9/27/2012, 10:38 AM
Ok, you just made me think he reminds me of his own namesake. Remember how, no matter what was happening on the field, Tom Landry's facial expression never changed? That's Landry Jones to a tee. I guess the guy could have the makings of a good poker player.

Except Tom Landry had a fierce fire in his eyes. When I see Landry's eyes I go "hello...hello...hello...is there anybody in there? just nod if you can hear me..."

KantoSooner
9/27/2012, 11:04 AM
Indeed, he has become, comfortably numb.

Mississippi Sooner
9/27/2012, 11:08 AM
So long as the worms don't eat into his brain.

SoonerorLater
9/27/2012, 11:27 AM
At this point I'm pretty much passed the point of blaming Landry Jones. His issues are well documented and in all likelyhood are not going to change much with his remaining time with OU. At this point it is on the coaching staff. They know what they have in Landry Jones and the other QB's on the roster. They just need to make the best adjustments they can. I'm not looking for miracles but I hate the thought of dropping another one to Notre Dame. I would expect Landry to have a good game and we will all feel a little better before we see the same things again we have be seeing for the last three years.

Curly Bill
9/27/2012, 11:42 AM
Except Tom Landry had a fierce fire in his eyes. When I see Landry's eyes I go "hello...hello...hello...is there anybody in there? just nod if you can hear me..."

YUP

goingoneight
9/27/2012, 12:01 PM
What I don't understand is why they say they can't run I-formation sets due to poor TE play. LJ seems a lot like the guys you see playing under center. I guess I don't remember him being all that bad under center when he was used that way. OUr TE play has been weak before and it didn't stop Chuck or KW from emphasizing a more physical gameplan. Facts are guys like LJ are much more effective that way. Remember when Texas played Bama and Saban tried letting Greg McElroy run this stuff? He looked EXACTLY like LJ has lately. IOW, the team appeared to win in spite of him.

C&CDean
9/27/2012, 12:17 PM
At this point I'm pretty much passed the point of blaming Landry Jones. His issues are well documented and in all likelyhood are not going to change much with his remaining time with OU. At this point it is on the coaching staff. They know what they have in Landry Jones and the other QB's on the roster. They just need to make the best adjustments they can. I'm not looking for miracles but I hate the thought of dropping another one to Notre Dame. I would expect Landry to have a good game and we will all feel a little better before we see the same things again we have be seeing for the last three years.

So, if Landry completes 90% of his passes the rest of the year and we win the rest of our games does that mean all of a sudden our coaches are doing a better job?

That's what I thought. Blaming coaches for seasoned players dribbling urine all down their own leg is the easy way out.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2012, 12:34 PM
So, if Landry completes 90% of his passes the rest of the year and we win the rest of our games does that mean all of a sudden our coaches are doing a better job?

That's what I thought. Blaming coaches for seasoned players dribbling urine all down their own leg is the easy way out.

The coaches recruit and develop these players, make the depth charts and distribute playing time. If they have done a great job in all these phases and LJ is the best we have, then it is what it is. I think people are questioning whether the coaches have indeed optimized all those variables.

TFSooner
9/27/2012, 01:16 PM

Here is my opinion on LJ and the OU fanbases opinion about him (not directed to you Dean, per se).

I think LJ is a really good colleger qb, not elite, but really good. Might have been a first round pick last year, and might still be this year. However, I just don't think he will ever have "it" that will make him elite. Nothing wrong with that, he's better than about 95% of the college qbs to ever play the game, but he's probably not going to lead any team to a MNC or Super Bowl victory (unless surrounded by freakishly great athletes).

Now, I also believe that if LJ were more Tebowesque, or Rhett Bomaresque, then he could have the exact same results (i.e., wins/losses, passing completions, TD/INT ratio, passer rating, you name it) and a large percentage of the OU fanbase would be a lot more forgiving of him. By Tebowesque or Bomaresque, I mean, if he would show a lot more "fire" or "emotion", fist pump, yell, scream, spit, get in other players faces, etc, then the fans would think, "There's fire in his belly, I like it!" No matter the results, just as long as there is "emotion".

Just my opinion, don't make it right.

goingoneight
9/27/2012, 01:32 PM
I don't remember Sam, Jason or Paul jumping up and being a punk after a good or bad play. Also, that kinda behavior isn't forgiven easily unless you win. See: fans reaction to Bomar after his UCLA touchdown antics. A couple of former players spoke out about it, too. Chest bumping won't make Trey Metoyer stay in bounds or Kenny Stills from dropping a gimme TD. There's problems all across the board. Only thing that's going to cure them is repetition.

cleller
9/27/2012, 02:26 PM
By Tebowesque or Bomaresque, I mean, if he would show a lot more "fire" or "emotion", fist pump, yell, scream, spit, get in other players faces, ect, then the fans would think, "There's fire in his belly, I like it!" .

Hmmm. If Landry does not have fire in his belly, I wonder what he does have?

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/skittle-flavored-condoms1.jpg

SoonerorLater
9/27/2012, 02:29 PM

Possibly, that would be a sea change for sure. What I was getting at is the coaching staff decides who to recruit, how they are coached and delevoped and if and when they play. Given those criteria I would say there is a fail somewhere in the coaching otherwise we wouldn't have a 5th year senior, 4 year starter QB that can't seem to function in a consistently acceptable manner. So far the staff refuses to bench Landry, even for part of a game. This happens to QB's at every level even if just to make a point. I'm not sure why Stoops would just dismiss out of hand the possibility of sitting Landry for a few downs.

MamaMia
9/27/2012, 03:16 PM
I don't remember Sam, Jason or Paul jumping up and being a punk after a good or bad play. Also, that kinda behavior isn't forgiven easily unless you win. See: fans reaction to Bomar after his UCLA touchdown antics. A couple of former players spoke out about it, too. Chest bumping won't make Trey Metoyer stay in bounds or Kenny Stills from dropping a gimme TD. There's problems all across the board. Only thing that's going to cure them is repetition.Are you saying LJ was acting like a punk? I'm confused. I must have missed that. :(

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/27/2012, 05:08 PM
i think he needs to get divorced. once he got engaged/married, and had teh sex for the first time, his game went to ****.

ok i don't wish anyone a divorce, maybe they should just seperate a bit...he could use his "other hand" to get him through the season.

i know..i'm selfish and insensative. ;)

Mazeppa
9/27/2012, 07:52 PM
10 more games and the Landry thing will be over. We can only hope that we can make it through those games with our sanity in place.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/27/2012, 10:04 PM

He goes by "Tweak" (from South Park) at our house. Gets a little pressure in his face and "AAACK!!!"

But to the point, why has he regressed since 2010?

I'll tell you why: In 2010 he had an Offensive Coordinator AND a QB coach. Now he just has two Offensive Coordinators. And the guy that should be his QB coach isn't handling the split duties of being the OC and QB coach well AT ALL.

Landry is just one of those mentally fragile players who can actually be very good if he is getting constant coaxing, reassurance, and coaching; but, who falls apart if he is not getting those things.

I'm starting to change my mind on whether him coming back for his senior year did in fact give this team the best chance to win over a sophomore Blake Bell. Why? Well, Jason White, until injured, did just fine as a sophomore. Sam Bradford was great as a sophomore.

And last but not least...

LANDRY BLEEPING JONES WAS GOOD AS A SOPHOMORE.

So if he could be, who's to say Blake wouldn't have been just as effective. I think people get hung up on that Blake would not have been as good a passer. Maybe. But instead of throwing risky "thread the needle at 40 yards" passes to get himself out of pressure situations like Landry does, we all know he would just take off and run... which he, btw, is pretty damn good at.

I don't know. If I did I'd be paid 4 million bucks a year as OU's head coach.

hvhurricane
9/28/2012, 12:58 AM
At some point in time you have to point the finger at the below par teaching he has received from his QB coach. The same person who happens to be a below par OC.

pweitkem
9/28/2012, 09:06 AM
He got married.

C&CDean
9/28/2012, 09:27 AM
At some point in time you have to point the finger at the below par teaching he has received from his QB coach. The same person who happens to be a below par OC.

Really? Do you think Heupel has coached him down? Backwards? That's just stupid talk.

It's not like Sybil didn't have Sybil moments when he was a Soph/Junior. He's always been schizo - it's just that here lately the bad Sybil is in control of his brain. Heupel ain't got **** to do with it - good or bad. Whitney doesn't either. For whatever reason, Sybil is just gonna be Sybil.

8timechamps
9/28/2012, 11:03 AM
Don't you think it's quite possible that LJ is just the kind of guy that has trouble handling pressure? I'm not just talking about in-game pressure, but the pressure of being the starting QB for a team that was supposed to be #1 in the country, the pressure to win in spite of injuries and suspensions to offensive players around him?

I just think this whole thing is mental for him, and until he can get himself back together, he's going to continue to struggle.

Also, I've tried really, really hard to believe that LJ is the leader of the offense but, the guy looks like a zombie. I've never known any zombie leaders.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/28/2012, 11:41 AM
Really? Do you think Heupel has coached him down? Backwards? That's just stupid talk.

It's not like Sybil didn't have Sybil moments when he was a Soph/Junior. He's always been schizo - it's just that here lately the bad Sybil is in control of his brain. Heupel ain't got **** to do with it - good or bad. Whitney doesn't either. For whatever reason, Sybil is just gonna be Sybil.

Dean, I disagree. It is tough to be two places at once on the football field. He had his moments in '10, for sure, but they got worse in '11 (yes, Broyles a part of that), and now, I'm not sure he isn't slipping completely into the dark side of his Sybil personality.

I certainly am not saying Heupel can't be a good OC. And I am certainly not saying he wasn't or isn't a good QB coach. I am saying I think he is stretched and that Landry would benefit from having someone give him constant one-on-one attention.... Which is lame for a senior, but I don't see any other reasonable explanation for what looks like an unravelling in progress before our eyes.

Just one more stinky opinion among many... Bleh.

Take me fishing or hunting. Please.

cvsooner
9/28/2012, 12:20 PM
The offense is leaderless, frankly, and schizoid. We can't quite decide what we want to be. Some of that is probably dictated by inconsistent play of the line, the QB, and the receivers. And Roy Finch.

Heupel has got to give this team a consistent identity. My sense is that he isn't really picking a direction and going with it. Case in point: Williams or Whaley, I forget which, runs for nearly nine yards on first and goal to the one. Next play: we run in the Belldozer. Why? Because it's unstoppable? At this point? It's lost whatever surprise it had. I was really kinda hoping the Belldozer was being put in as a decoy, but no. The regular offense had a good rhythm going and we totally killed it. Bell fumbles the snap, and...to our credit we did battle back and we we did take the lead in the third quarter but when we had to have it, we couldn't get it done. (The awful interception really sank us, but that's for another post.)

D. Williams and Dom Whaley seem pretty consistent, though Whaley's blocking Saturday was atrocious--I put much of the blame on the sack/fumble on him. And the KSU player made a great play too. Sometimes you just lose.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/28/2012, 12:52 PM
I don't remember Sam, Jason or Paul jumping up and being a punk after a good or bad play. Also, that kinda behavior isn't forgiven easily unless you win. See: fans reaction to Bomar after his UCLA touchdown antics. A couple of former players spoke out about it, too. Chest bumping won't make Trey Metoyer stay in bounds or Kenny Stills from dropping a gimme TD. There's problems all across the board. Only thing that's going to cure them is repetition.

Bingo. When did Sam show that 'fire'?

Never. He had a better oline than LJ that's for sure.

Curly Bill
9/28/2012, 12:54 PM

Sam wasn't a cheerleader, but he sure as hell didn't have that glassy-eyed, I'm clueless as f**k look LJ has!

I Am Right
9/28/2012, 05:37 PM
System QB

MountainOkie
9/28/2012, 10:48 PM

I seem to remember him flipping head over heels near the end-zone in an effort to secure a TD. Pigs would fly before we'd see that type of determination from Jones.

missann
9/29/2012, 12:25 PM

This all day.

IMO he never was good enough to start at OU. It's mind-boggling to see that he's maintained the position with his level of play. But Stoops has to take some responsibility for allowing it to happen.