PDA

View Full Version : The complacency, the trends, the pay...the results.

Sooner5030
9/22/2012, 11:08 PM
I've been both a sunshine pumper and an over zealous critic at times over the last 13 years......but I am growing very tired of a couple of trends...even though I am grateful for the winning seasons.

It's not like we are losing to better/more talented teams.....if it was LSU, BAMA, USC. etc.. that is one thing and I have always stayed positive when we have been bested by a better team. What gets me is how consistent it has become to lose to lesser teams.

If you watch just one of these games by themselves you would shrug it off as just one of those times that everything that could have went wrong....did. But now it is actually predictable.....and many of us can see it so plainly that it is painful to watch.

“Painful to watch” is not easy to describe an OU game as I am one of those that sat in that stadium while losing to A&M in the rain during another losing season in the 90s and still cheered. What is painful is how predictable the consistent shortcomings of this program have become....especially when you fully consider the input; great athletes, a highly paid/competent staff, and a fan base that is one of the top 10. There are a few attributes that I have noticed over the last couple of seasons that we need to discuss:

-offensive philosophy
-player body language
-cuckold syndrome

Offensive Philosophy – people always complain that we are either too pass happy or trying too hard to be balanced with forcing the run. I think too much is focused on run vs pass. What really needs to be looked at is what is the defense expecting. In big/close games we have become too predictable and conservative. This contributes to the Jekyll/Hyde production from our offense. So many plays are within 5 yards of the LOS that we negate our talent advantage. Stretch the field every 5 plays....nothing bad can happen other than an arm punt.

Player body language – this is what drove the complacency part of the title. I am starting to think that the athletes, coaches, and others are not that upset with top 20 finishes every year. After all, finishing that high in a very competitive sport consistently is not something to be overlooked.

Cuckold Syndrome – anyone notice that rather than change the momentum we succumb to it and observe how great the other team is playing? It's like watching someone with your significant other and rather than beating their *** you sit there and watch in amazement.

Our coaches are good.....there is no doubt about that...but they get paid exceptionally well. This is about trade.....our athletic department is trading millions of $ per year for certain results. In my opinion we are not getting the results that we have traded for. Now, I don't want to see a “produce or get fired” type of scenario. But I would like a little refund on our trade and some emphasis on better production.

It is time to put some heat on this staff and team. The output is not worth the input.

goingoneight
9/22/2012, 11:16 PM
You have to pay these days to win. No one will go to OU for Switzer's salary anymore. So money paid out doesn't bother me. Especially when their success funds the entire athletic department.
I think it's fair to ask Bob why the offense is slipping like it is. I'm sorry... but this offense is bad. The Nevada pistols firing offense at a place like OU is sad. They climbed out of bad offensive issues before (2001 and 2005), so one would think time and experience will iron that out.

Sooner5030
9/23/2012, 09:49 AM
You have to pay these days to win. No one will go to OU for Switzer's salary anymore. So money paid out doesn't bother me. Especially when their success funds the entire athletic department.
I think it's fair to ask Bob why the offense is slipping like it is. I'm sorry... but this offense is bad. The Nevada pistols firing offense at a place like OU is sad. They climbed out of bad offensive issues before (2001 and 2005), so one would think time and experience will iron that out.

It's not just the offense.......it's the attitude. You can clearly see it in the players' body language. I think the entire organization suffers from cuckold syndrome.

bluedogok
9/23/2012, 11:23 AM
Having lived in Austin from 2003-2011 I got to see the Texas program get complacent and satisfied until things completely imploded. Seems to me that is repeating itself in Norman. I think complacency among the coaching staff and administration is the core problem and that shows up in the team on the field and in recruiting. Too much recruiting from rating lists, too many highly recruited players looking towards the NFL but not willing to work to get there. There just seems to be something amiss on the recruiting side at the rate that so many players turn into average (or below average) or leave the program entirely. It isn't something new, look at recruiting lists from years past and look at how many never amounted to anything. It just seems they "miss" on recruits more than they hit home runs on and a coach like Snyder does much more with less and finds more hidden gems because he has to. To me that is what Stoops did early, sadly I feel that Bob Stoops has become Mack Brown without the media friendly veneer.

william_brasky
9/23/2012, 11:28 AM
this pretty much sums up the program....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDER6GP30c

TitoMorelli
9/23/2012, 11:41 AM
OP deserves ++ cred just for coming up with the "cuckold syndrome" part - rest is worth pondering, too.