PDA

View Full Version : When can you blame Bob...?

JLEW1818
9/22/2012, 09:53 PM
4-5 million a year. Anyone could eventually lose interest.

cleller
9/22/2012, 09:56 PM
The coaching staff started out as a magical bunch of star coaches with great chemistry and big dreams. It sure doesn't feel that way anymore.

Hard to sustain that kind of environment.

soonercastor
9/22/2012, 09:58 PM
I can't believe these TOs we call....

instigator
9/22/2012, 10:10 PM
I blame him now. We're about as organized as a high school team.

Sooner Eclipse
9/22/2012, 10:11 PM
The time mgmt sucked ***. Especially on the TO calls.

PMKMDJ
9/22/2012, 10:12 PM
This is as disappointed as I have ever been in the coaching staff. The terrible TO's, the horrible play calling, did we throw just one ball down field?. I had forgotten we had a TE until until Green caught that one late. Shepherd looks great, but he doesn't play much...it goes on and on. Fortunately after watching the UTEP game I knew this wasn't our year and lowered my expectations!

PMKMDJ
9/22/2012, 10:12 PM
I blame him now. We're about as organized as a high school team.

I think most HS team's would take offense to that...haha

agoo758
9/22/2012, 10:13 PM
First off, not putting in Bell for the two point conversion. Even worse, putting Jones back in for the 2 pt AFTER burning a timeout.

I called us Michigan under LLoyd Carr earlier, we arn't that good, we are ****ing Missouri under Larry Smith..

8timechamps
9/22/2012, 10:16 PM
You can blame Bob when he fumbles on the field, overthrows open receivers, fails to wrap up, keeps his grades up so that he isn't suspended. Then you can blame Bob. This game came down to players making (or not making) plays. From what I could tell, the game plan would have done just fine.

PMKMDJ
9/22/2012, 10:16 PM
The TO on the 2 pt conversion was terrible, that things was worth gold at that point and we did nothing with it. If Landry was going to be in there to throw the ball than 5 yrds would have helped anyhow.

tooslow
9/22/2012, 10:17 PM
Maybe KSU had better players? Yeah, that's it.... The bottom line is that we are almost guaranteed a decent bowl game about every year with Stoops. Look at the UTs(texas and Tennessee.) The whorns missed out on a bowl game recently and the Vols haven't been relevant in many years. One of wo things can happen. We go with a different staff that will change our sets in hopes of getting back to the top, at the risk of being just average or worse, or we continue to be happy with high expectations with a few years of coming close, but not winning the big one. Actually, Stoops may have one more run left in him, but it will not be this year or next. I know one thing, be careful what you wish for. You might not like the results. :(

JLEW1818
9/22/2012, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps;3516996]You can blame Bob when he fumbles on the field, overthrows open receivers, fails to wrap up, keeps his grades up so that he isn't suspended. Then you can blame Bob. This game came down to players making (or not making) plays. From what I could tell, the game plan would have done just fine.[/QUOTE

So never blame Bob, right? USC 2004 was not his fault at all right?

East Coast Bias
9/22/2012, 10:18 PM
I would agree with those that say we are getting props the past two years for our reputation. All that could end this year as the pollsters find it easier to rank us lower rather than continually adjusting down. I am thinking a 8 and 4 year could happen. That also means most of us outside Oklahoma will get to see fewer televised games.

SOONER44EVER
9/22/2012, 10:18 PM
The better coach won the game tonight.

goingoneight
9/22/2012, 10:20 PM
I'm disappointed but I get that it just is not their year. Way too many lingering issues here and there. You can't be a good team if you don't know your own playbook, how to hustle and are inconsistent whenever opportunities do line up.
It's on everyone in this one. DL is soft, OL is average, offensive philosophy is questionable, nobody making plays when they desperately needed them to do so.

MyT Oklahoma
We lost this game in all aspects but those turnovers just killed us.

Our coaches are very well paid to coach and they are fair game after poor performances like tonight.

If our coaches can't take the heat they are welcome to leave anytime.

LiveLaughLove
You can blame Bob when he fumbles on the field, overthrows open receivers, fails to wrap up, keeps his grades up so that he isn't suspended. Then you can blame Bob. This game came down to players making (or not making) plays. From what I could tell, the game plan would have done just fine.

Agree with this. The game plan was what it should have been.

Our D played pretty well for the most part I thought. Wort is average at best. Our D line is average and thin.

Our O line is probably a little below average and very thin. And Landry still doesn't do well under pressure and off his back foot.

agoo758
9/22/2012, 10:21 PM

I can blame him for burning precious timeouts (which has been a problem for years now) I can also blame him for not having his guys prepared after a bye week. Furthermore, I can blame him for recruiting an overrated QB, and WR's, a bunch of DL men that look smaller than high school safeties, and clinging on to a terrible coaching staff (including an OC which cost us the title game in 08).

landrun
9/22/2012, 10:21 PM

Using this argument (which we see all the time) Blake would still be our coach.

normanx
9/22/2012, 10:23 PM
This is horse***t!!!! Stoops is complacent!!! Jeezuz. It happens. But doesn't mean he gets a pass for winning a title 12 YEARS AGO!!! We lose to Tech and ksu two years in a row?!?!!!

Wishboned
9/22/2012, 10:23 PM

Our D played pretty well for the most part I thought. Wort is average at best. Our D line is average and thin.

Our O line is probably a little below average and very thin. And Landry still doesn't do well under pressure and off his back foot.

To me that sounds like recruiting issues. We used to get the most out of the 3 and 4 star recruits. We found a lot of diamonds in the rough. Now we're just finding fool's gold.

NorthernIowaSooner
9/22/2012, 10:27 PM
I can blame him for burning precious timeouts (which has been a problem for years now) I can also blame him for not having his guys prepared after a bye week. Furthermore, I can blame him for recruiting an overrated QB, and WR's, a bunch of DL men that look smaller than high school safeties, and clinging on to a terrible coaching staff (including an OC which cost us the title game in 08).

He's clinging to a coach that is no longer on the staff?

8timechamps
9/22/2012, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps;3516996]You can blame Bob when he fumbles on the field, overthrows open receivers, fails to wrap up, keeps his grades up so that he isn't suspended. Then you can blame Bob. This game came down to players making (or not making) plays. From what I could tell, the game plan would have done just fine.[/QUOTE

So never blame Bob, right? USC 2004 was not his fault at all right?

Whoops, you're putting words in my mouth, and I'm sure that's not what you're trying to do. Blame Bob for things Bob does wrong. For instance, the time out taken before the two point try. Bad call Bob. The fumble at the goaline, that led to KSU's first score. Not Bob. The fumble at the KSU 2 yard line. Not Bob. That's 14 point differential. There's no way in hell you could blame either of those on Bob.

Here's an idea, let's blame Bob when it's something that Bob did or did't do. Otherwise, let's blame the players for their oven mistakes. Makes so much more sense to do it that way.

redkid
9/22/2012, 10:32 PM
ok''we are not as good as the media picked us to be,,,we are a relatively young team,,OL needs a little work''defense will get better,, count on it,,I'm not worried,, things will get better. The only time I would be worried is if I seen john Blake walking the sidelines,,its not time to panic,,there is no shame in losing to a equal or better team in k-state. They got the breaks to night and took advantage of it,,we didn't,,its gonna be fine guys and gals,,just watch out when OU gels!!

soonervegas
9/22/2012, 10:32 PM
When do you blame a CEO whose stock is half it's value that is was 10 years ago?

After 1 year? 3? 5?

VA Sooner
9/22/2012, 10:33 PM
Not sure this is on Bob... the defense played well in the beginning and kept us in the game. The turnovers cost us a touchdown and gave KSU 17 points as well as the game clock. Sloppy offense....

Blue
9/22/2012, 10:33 PM
The coaching sucked tonight, 8time. No ifs ands or buts about it.

The hurryup killed two drives, the playcalling was suspect, and the timeouts were inexcusable.

agoo758
9/22/2012, 10:34 PM
He's clinging to a coach that is no longer on the staff?

My point is, poor hires, poor recruiting, and poor coaching, all of which are manage by the HC are the reason for our slide into mediocrity the last 7 years.

SOONER44EVER
9/22/2012, 10:34 PM
According to most people on here it's never on Bob. Every losing game he's ever coached was the player's fault they lost. The wins are a different story.

agoo758
9/22/2012, 10:36 PM
When Bob is hungry, he is the best coach in the country, including Nick Saban, I am not going to venture that he isn't trying as hard as he used to, but I am not convinced that that statement is incorrect.

soonervegas
9/22/2012, 10:41 PM
He is coasting.....how anyone cannot see it is beyond me. Lazy coaching hires, recruiting slowly sliding, bad game management and preparation....

Oh well, we will all be singing this 30 months from now when we have went: Shreveport, San Antonio, and El Paso over the next 3 postseasons....

cleller
9/22/2012, 10:42 PM
When Bob is hungry, he is the best coach in the country, including Nick Saban, I am not going to venture that he isn't trying as hard as he used to, but I am not convinced that that statement is incorrect.

Back in Switzer's day coaches were still trying to put money in the bank year after year. Now, any HC at a major school is set for life after 1-2 years.

If your livelihood depended on it, it might help some Head Coaches look a little harder at their staff, etc.

tulsaoilerfan
9/22/2012, 10:44 PM
Too many recruiting busts the last few years, so that's where Bob should be feeling the heat; how can OU for christs sake not have good linebackers or defensive linemen?

agoo758
9/22/2012, 10:44 PM
Back in Switzer's day coaches were still trying to put money in the bank year after year. Now, any HC at a major school is set for life after 1-2 years.

If your livelihood depended on it, it might help some Head Coaches look a little harder at their staff, etc.

That's a very good point, Switzer wasn't making anymore than six figures a year if I am not mistaken.

However, Saban is the highest paid coach in the country, and continues to be the best coach in the league...... I guess some peopel are just more driven than others.

sooneron
9/22/2012, 10:47 PM
How many times did I see the D scurrying about to line up correctly? Yeah, thank GOD, Mike is back.

cleller
9/22/2012, 10:48 PM
Saban lives his life to beat down others. Maybe not a nice guy, may not have great family life, blood pressure, or nice thoughts in his head, but a good coach.

sooneron
9/22/2012, 10:48 PM
Cluster****.

JoeR
9/22/2012, 10:49 PM
How many game are you guys going to have to watch Bob walk onto the field with obviously better talent and have his azz handed to him?
His team is consistantly unprepared to play, lack motivation, and many times several players don't even seem to know the play; such as Landry pitching/pushing the ball forward to a player who didn't even know he was getting the ball.

JLEW1818
Not sure this is on Bob... the defense played well in the beginning and kept us in the game. The turnovers cost us a touchdown and gave KSU 17 points as well as the game clock. Sloppy offense....

Is Bob not suppose to be the most defensive minded coach in Oklahoma ?

stoops the eternal pimp
Can they take a how to use timeouts class?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/22/2012, 10:51 PM
Maybe they could use more swagger when they call time outs.

JLEW1818
9/22/2012, 10:51 PM
Saban lives his life to beat down others. Maybe not a nice guy, may not have great family life, blood pressure, or nice thoughts in his head, but a good coach.

He's (Saban) the best coach in the history of college football

sooneron
9/22/2012, 10:52 PM
He's (Saban) the best coach in the history of college football

You shut your whore mouth!!!!

Tulsa_Fireman
9/22/2012, 10:53 PM
Only because he has so much swagger.

tanjou
9/22/2012, 10:56 PM
bob stoops bad coach

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2012, 10:57 PM
Doesn't matter, but I wonder how many game he has lost to double digit dogs.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 12:10 AM
Interesting stat from my friends at CBTN.. Over the last 4 years, bob stoops is 2-8 in games 4 pts or less difference at the half..

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2012, 12:14 AM
I think we are seeing the begining of the end. I give him 2 more years tops. Not because he will be fired, or anyone wants him fired. I think he will just have had enough of the pressures and expectations that are OU football. We are an unreasonable lot.

Sabanball
9/23/2012, 12:16 AM
you guys are just spoiled. I'd venture to say most of you on here weren't old enough to remember the '90's when your program was an absolute train wreck, for pretty much the whole decade. Since then Bob has had you in NC contention almost every yr and is 78-4 at home. Those of you advocating his dismissal or even anything close to it need to put down the crack pipe and are absolute nuts.

sooneron
9/23/2012, 12:17 AM
I wish I had the time to photoshop a visor...
http://www.emergencymedicaled.com/images/chokingsign.gif

sooneron
9/23/2012, 12:18 AM
you guys are just spoiled. I'd venture to say most of you on here weren't old enough to remember the '90's when your program was an absolute train wreck. Since then Bob has had you in NC contention almost every yr and is 78-4 at home. Those of you advocating his dismissal or even anything close to it need to put down the crack pipe and are absolute nuts.

Oh yeah, sure...
Whatever.
I was around when people had "fire barry" stickers back in 1981, but go ahead...

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2012, 12:21 AM
Wanting him fired and blame are not necessarily the same thing..TOs, not his fault.. Undisciplined play filters down from the coaches and is the teams fault.. Using timeouts like they've been used tonight and at Baylor last year.. Bad coaching..

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2012, 12:22 AM
you guys are just spoiled. I'd venture to say most of you on here weren't old enough to remember the '90's when your program was an absolute train wreck, for pretty much the whole decade. Since then Bob has had you in NC contention almost every yr and is 78-4 at home. Those of you advocating his dismissal or even anything close to it need to put down the crack pipe and are absolute nuts.

I hope you don't mis-interperet what I posted as advocating his dismissal. Far from it. It's just that OU is a meat grinder. It got Wilkinson. It got Switzer. And yes, there were huge circumstances that contributed to those... Kennedy assassination, Switzer's own blind spots finally getting him. But I honestly don't think Stoops has ever been as enthralled with OU as OU has been with him. I can just easily see him saying... "Eff it, I've had enough. I want to watch my boys play their sports."

Sabanball
9/23/2012, 12:22 AM
Oh yeah, sure...
Whatever.
I was around when people had "fire barry" stickers back in 1981, but go ahead...

I was too! I lived in Oklahoma back in the 80s and remember it well. Thank god the ptb kept Barry around then--otherwise no 33-3 run and a NC from 85-87.

SOONER44EVER
9/23/2012, 12:23 AM
Oh yeah, sure...
Whatever.
I was around when people had "fire barry" stickers back in 1981, but go ahead... You mean "Bury Barry" stickers?

Sabanball
9/23/2012, 12:25 AM
I hope you don't mis-interperet what I posted as advocating his dismissal. Far from it. It's just that OU is a meat grinder. It got Wilkinson. It got Switzer. And yes, there were huge circumstances that contributed to those... Kennedy assassination, Switzer's own blind spots finally getting him. But I honestly don't think Stoops has ever been as enthralled with OU as OU has been with him. I can just easily see him saying... "Eff it, I've had enough. I want to watch my boys play their sports."

All big time coaches now are like that. Get used to it. They all have huge egos--including Saban. But as long as he does what we pay him over $5 mil/yr to do--win football games--I could care less.

sooneron
9/23/2012, 12:28 AM
You mean "Bury Barry" stickers?

Yes.

sooneron
9/23/2012, 12:33 AM
All big time coaches now are like that. Get used to it. They all have huge egos--including Saban. But as long as he does what we pay him over $5 mil/yr to do--win football games--I could care less.

Guess what, OUr coach's wins don't always equal the $. You could say "yadda yadda, miscues and fumbles", but I saw a LOT of idiocy out there tonight. And that comes from the top down. I'm a bit tired of the inferiority complex ridden fans that think we won't find anyone to love us like Bob does. Like you said, they love us for the paycheck (in so many words).

okiewaker
9/23/2012, 12:36 AM
What witnessed tonight was a team, to me, that looked unprepared to take on a team far more prepared.

sooneron
9/23/2012, 12:42 AM
And which person is charge of such preparation?

sooneron
9/23/2012, 12:43 AM
H?

okiewaker
9/23/2012, 12:52 AM
Don't let your anger get in the way of rational thinking. I simply made an observation. Sorry if you don't like it. One team looked more prepared than the other.

MamaMia
9/23/2012, 12:53 AM
Don't let your anger get in the way of rational thinking. I simply made an observation. Sorry if you don't like it. One team looked more prepared than the other.Ya think?

dennis580
9/23/2012, 01:01 AM
4-5 million a year. Anyone could eventually lose interest.

As painful as these losses are. We need to keep it in perspective.

Bob Stoops

77-4 Home Record
7 Conference Championshiops
1 National Championships

Though I admit he doesnt have near the passion or fire that he used to.

aurorasooner
9/23/2012, 01:52 AM
As painful as these losses are. We need to keep it in perspective.

Bob Stoops

77-4 Home Record
7 Conference Championshiops
1 National Championships

Though I admit he doesnt have near the passion or fire that he used to.
From a preparation standpoint, our coaching staff now looks like the opponent's coaching staffs Bob, Mike, Mangino, Brent would out-coach on a regular basis when Bob first came to Norman.
It'll be interesting to see how we play in 2 weeks against Tech. If we lose in Lubbock, we could easily be 2-3 after Texas, and we could be looking at a minimum of 5 losses (N.Dame W. Virginia) this year and possibly even Bob's 1st losing season. Something's just not right with our offense from a preparation standpoint. Although I thought our D played well enough to win last night, our offense just doesn't have it.

zeke
9/23/2012, 02:34 AM
I didnt see Bob fumble or throw an interception.

The D played well enough to win, got worn down by a K St team that is pretty good. K St special teams are as good as it gets.

Could we have been smoother, obviously so. Still have revamped O-line & some new recievers, so I expect that untimely TO's are going to happen. Play calling can always be better when you get beat.

What I dont expect is a senior QB, while trying his new found scrambeling ability to fumble into the endzone, hurry throws that result in an interception, throw behind an open TE in the endzone and overall have a poor game. I didnt expect Bell to muff a snap the most likely cost us a TD.

Blame Stoops if you want. I'm putting this game on our QB. Both of them

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/23/2012, 02:58 AM

If your livelihood depended on it, it might help some Head Coaches look a little harder at their staff, etc.I think that is a factor. however, there are exceptions, like Saban. I don't think Saban thinks about money much. He just wants to win REALLY BAD.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/23/2012, 03:01 AM
you guys are just spoiled. I'd venture to say most of you on here weren't old enough to remember the '90's when your program was an absolute train wreck, for pretty much the whole decade. Since then Bob has had you in NC contention almost every yr and is 78-4 at home. Those of you advocating his dismissal or even anything close to it need to put down the crack pipe and are absolute nuts.Agreed, but Stoops doesn't seem to have the drive to win like he used to. Also, some asst. coaches are messing up, and something needs to be done.

vtsooner21
9/23/2012, 06:00 AM
Looks to me like there's enough blame and those that blame to go around in here...Across the board the Sooners were beaten last night. In every aspect. Pick it apart but overall, nothing good at all has come out of this terrible performance. Question is: Where do we go from here?

​BOOMER

wishbonesooner
9/23/2012, 06:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Would Nick Saban tolerate the lackluster performance we seem to get several times a year by our staff and players? Bob seems to be about making excuses for LJ, Saban would make a move to get LJ's attention somehow. Teams aren't afraid of us anymore. They know if they hit us in the mouth, we'll fold. That part hurts me the most as a Sooner fan of over 50 years.

Sooner70
9/23/2012, 06:40 AM
The unsaid suspicions have come to roost. Let's face it.....OU was over ranked. I was concerned about this KSU game all week, and a well coached Snyder team will bring out the worst in just about anybody. Too many turnovers. I guess the negatives for me surround Landry Jones....he does seem fragile & still makes mistakes you'd expect of a freshman or soph QB. Throwaway Int's, not protecting ball near own goallline,etc. Yet, it's not all on him. OU had a chance at the last, but Wort let #80 skate by unmolested for the key first down that more or less sealed the game. OU had enough time & had previously shown enough offensive spark that maybe another TD was in the offing. Seemed like KSU was able to convert a lot of key third downs. Anyway, combine all that with poor clock management (poor coaching?) and you just don't get by with something like that with a KSU team.

The good news is that Shepard looked really good, & seemed to me Stills is gaining on things. Also, OU will likely be ranked behind Texas by the time RRS rolls around, which will be better. Got to focus on TT first though. That will be a tough one in Lubbock & if Sooner's don't get their bearings quick, they may face another L.

East Coast Bias
9/23/2012, 06:57 AM
I believe the game management and play calling was sub-par. We had the lead at 10-13, a first down at our 20 and Landry is throwing up jump balls?Especially after running the ball well earlier, we should have slowed the game down here and took some heat off Landry who was obviously off his game. Another thing I wonder? How many players like Shepard are sitting on the bench in favor of a more tenured player? Are we all convinced Stoops is putting the best players on the team?

kevpks
9/23/2012, 10:00 AM
I don't think the word mediocre means what you think it means.

tulsaoilerfan
9/23/2012, 10:26 AM
I still don't understand how Finch can carry 1 time for 11 yards then never touch the ball again; that boggles my mind

JLEW1818
9/23/2012, 10:29 AM
I still don't understand how Finch can carry 1 time for 11 yards then never touch the ball again; that boggles my mind

this

SoonerMarkVA
9/23/2012, 11:23 AM
Using this argument (which we see all the time) Blake would still be our coach.

For that matter, I could be the coach.

SoonerMarkVA
9/23/2012, 11:52 AM

Ditto. Finch is the most electric offensive player we have, save now possibly Shepard. He must be in a serious dog house not to get more opportunities.

Texas Golfer
9/23/2012, 01:01 PM

The HC is responsible for everything that happens on the field and he is responsible for everything that fails to happen. That's why he's paid the multi-millions.

Texas Golfer
9/23/2012, 01:10 PM

KSU got almost 400 total yards and over 200 yards rushing. They converted 8 of 15 attempts. That is not good defense!

TXBOOMER
9/23/2012, 02:44 PM

Okay no blame for that brilliant game plan. Can we blame him for poor recruiting and player development and game preparation? Timeouts week in and week out are absolutely ridiculous.

badger
9/23/2012, 02:59 PM
Hi guys. Considering how bad our offense was it was truly a gift from kstate that we were in it till the final first down.

I blame the loss on our offense and i think that part of that is definitely coaching. I am not ready to call for stoops firing, but I would not be surprised if heupel was gone next season. I wish him he best when that happens. Hate to see him not succeed

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 05:16 PM
He is coasting.....how anyone cannot see it is beyond me. Lazy coaching hires, recruiting slowly sliding, bad game management and preparation....

Oh well, we will all be singing this 30 months from now when we have went: Shreveport, San Antonio, and El Paso over the next 3 postseasons....

Unless you have some super special access to Stoops and his daily routine, how in the hell would you know if he's coasting?! Lazy coaching hires? You'll have to explain that one, I don't even know what that means. Recruiting slowly sliding? Do you follow recruiting close every year? I do, and this is just nonsense. Bad game management? I'll give you this last night, but routinely? No. Bad preparation? Again, please explain, because I saw nothing last night that leads me to believe we weren't prepared. I think your post was an emotional one, after a loss. If not, you probably don't know as much about college football as you think.

soonervegas
9/23/2012, 06:39 PM
Unless you have some super special access to Stoops and his daily routine, how in the hell would you know if he's coasting?! Lazy coaching hires? You'll have to explain that one, I don't even know what that means. Recruiting slowly sliding? Do you follow recruiting close every year? I do, and this is just nonsense. Bad game management? I'll give you this last night, but routinely? No. Bad preparation? Again, please explain, because I saw nothing last night that leads me to believe we weren't prepared. I think your post was an emotional one, after a loss. If not, you probably don't know as much about college football as you think.

8time - I'll keep it short. I have NO emotional attachment to this team and barely pay attention (and have 0 access to any inner workings of the program). I am just talking about what the average joe can clearly see by just watching. I am sure you can write this off easily, because in reality you are the one thinking with your emotions. But we can meet back in 30 months and I will either be right or wrong.

SoonerorLater
9/23/2012, 07:01 PM

I did. How can there be any confusion in such an obvious circumstance to go for the 2 point conversion at the last. The team is just walking off the field like it is business as usual. Then they had to burn the time out and get re-organized. This play should have been set in stone when they got possession of the ball.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/23/2012, 07:12 PM
I did. How can there be any confusion in such an obvious circumstance to go for the 2 point conversion at the last. The team is just walking off the field like it is business as usual. Then they had to burn the time out and get re-organized. This play should have been set in stone when they got possession of the ball.

honest question..not a loaded one. Were you there or watching on TV?

If on TV, then Id suggest you cant really tell whether the offense was "business as usual". The shots the networks give you dont tell an accurate story.

Even if you are in the stadium you have no idea what's going on. I'll concede to you the "eyeball test" and prolly agree with you to some extent...but unless you are down here on the sidelines, there is no way that we as the fans can tell what happened, and who who made mistakes.

JLEW1818
9/23/2012, 08:26 PM
Bob has not be a good coach since 2008

soonerboy_odanorth
9/23/2012, 08:47 PM
Ditto. Finch is the most electric offensive player we have, save now possibly Shepard. He must be in a serious dog house not to get more opportunities.

It was right in front of our faces on display last night as to why he isn't.

You know that shovel/tap pass that was reviewed? Finch was supposed to be the receiver. He didn't even look for the ball. Huge mental error and/or miscommunication.

THAT'S why he is not getting more opportunities.

The coaches and his teammates have to be able to trust him to do his job. My guess is they do not, and for good reason, again, as was displayed.

normanx
9/23/2012, 09:14 PM
What happened to "No Excuses" when Bob was hired?? I remember his hiring speech and him saying those words. Even seeing t-shirts. Now, there are excuses for the play??lol

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 09:51 PM
8time - I'll keep it short. I have NO emotional attachment to this team and barely pay attention (and have 0 access to any inner workings of the program). I am just talking about what the average joe can clearly see by just watching. I am sure you can write this off easily, because in reality you are the one thinking with your emotions. But we can meet back in 30 months and I will either be right or wrong.

Riiiight. You have no emotional attachment, yet you've posted almost 2,500 times on a Sooner message board. And, your screen name is soonervegas.

Good luck with that.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have any emotional attachment, but at the end of the day, I love my school and my team. And I also don't kick the dog when we lose (not that you do, just putting it out there). I've been here long enough to know how it always works after a loss. This one isn't as bad, since at least the team we lost to was ranked, but it's been the same emotional comments on this board for years. As for me thinking with my emotions, sure I am, doesn't everyone? Thinking with your emotions, and posting knee-jerk nonsense are are sometimes mutually exclusive.

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 09:53 PM

I totally agree. Should have been a no brainer. That's one of the things that I put on the coaches. I wasn't there, and didn't see the way the team reacted, but I'll take your word for it.

8timechamps
9/23/2012, 09:53 PM
Bob has not be a good coach since 2008

This is absolute nonsense.

Sooner in Tampa
9/24/2012, 05:47 AM
This is absolute nonsense.
Come on 8time...last year was he a good coach when were getting filleted at the end of the year?

Was he a good coach in 2010 when we lost to Missouri and TTU...and spare me beating a horrible UConn team in the bowl game.

Shall we even mention 2009?

2008 was a pretty damn good year for him and our Sooners...so JLEW is looking pretty spot on...IMHO.

2007 was an all right year...except that the unacceptable loss to Colorado and then getting beat by WVU in the bowl game.

So...it's really been a while since we have seen some top notch coaching from this staff.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/24/2012, 06:19 AM
The better coach won the game tonight.

Actually, the team that scored 17 points off turnovers won the game.

delhalew
9/24/2012, 07:11 AM
Bob is responsible for the team's focus and fire. It's been years since they possessed either..

cleller
9/24/2012, 07:55 AM
Actually, the team that scored 17 points off turnovers won the game.

This is a very good point. Then you have to isolate how and why those turnovers occurred. Bell's was just a head banger. It cost us dearly. It took 7 points off the board for us, but from the resulting field position, is it too much to hope to keep KSU from point more points on the board?

It seemed like more than just a few bad breaks. The players lack focus and confidence. Everyone has their own opinions on what causes that.

joe4sooners
9/24/2012, 07:58 AM
I have been a Sooner fan my whole life. It's sad to say I can't stand 90 percent of our fan base. Get real.

badger
9/24/2012, 08:11 AM
I have been a Sooner fan my whole life. It's sad to say I can't stand 90 percent of our fan base. Get real.

Don't confuse the Internet with reality. If you ever are confused, just listen to Bob's call-in show where 100 percent of callers are like "I WUV YOU SOOOO MUCH BOB." Reality is somewhere between the Internet (FIRE EVERYONE!) and the phone lines (WILL YOU MARRY ME BOBBY STOOPS?)

Sooners78
9/24/2012, 12:26 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Bob. I still think he's one of the elite coaches in the country. However, the fire is not there. That is obvious. That attitude from the top went a long way in getting players to overachieve from 99-02. Those early Stoops teams did not have the talent to just simply overpower other teams. However, back then I was confident that we would win every big game we played in. Remember the shouting matches between Bob, Mike, Brent, and leaders on the field like Everage and Calmus? I miss seeing that fire on the sideline.

2003 is when I started seeing a difference on the sideline, and the fire hasn't returned since then. We were getting more talent, but the attitude was gone. Maybe Bob thought he could just overpower opponents, and he was right concerning the majority of our opponents. There's a definite lack of fire. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I do believe the buck stops with Stoops. With everything else being equal in this game from players to coaches on both teams, if this were any season from 99-02, I'm convinced we would have found a way to win Saturday night as a result of desire and preparation. That's on Bob.

One positive from all of this, I've finally decided to cancel my DirecTV. It's not the only reason; there are others (save $, filthy programming, lack of quality programming, Netflix alternative). OU Football was really the only thing keeping me shelling those $ out every month. Now, with my lowered expectations, I'm perfectly content watching 3 or 4 games a season for free over the antenna, just like we used to do it in the 70s and early 80s. The others, I will catch on radio.

SoonerorLater
9/24/2012, 12:47 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Bob. I still think he's one of the elite coaches in the country. However, the fire is not there. That is obvious. That attitude from the top went a long way in getting players to overachieve from 99-02. Those early Stoops teams did not have the talent to just simply overpower other teams. However, back then I was confident that we would win every big game we played in. Remember the shouting matches between Bob, Mike, Brent, and leaders on the field like Everage and Calmus? I miss seeing that fire on the sideline.

2003 is when I started seeing a difference on the sideline, and the fire hasn't returned since then. We were getting more talent, but the attitude was gone. Maybe Bob thought he could just overpower opponents, and he was right concerning the majority of our opponents. There's a definite lack of fire. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I do believe the buck stops with Stoops. With everything else being equal in this game from players to coaches on both teams, if this were any season from 99-02, I'm convinced we would have found a way to win Saturday night as a result of desire and preparation. That's on Bob.

One positive from all of this, I've finally decided to cancel my DirecTV. It's not the only reason; there are others (save $, filthy programming, lack of quality programming, Netflix alternative). OU Football was really the only thing keeping me shelling those $ out every month. Now, with my lowered expectations, I'm perfectly content watching 3 or 4 games a season for free over the antenna, just like we used to do it in the 70s and early 80s. The others, I will catch on radio.

I was just listening to the SA here in Tulsa with Pat Jones, Big Al and Steve Davis. All of these guys fundamaentally agree there are definite problems with OU football. Steve Davis was a little more guarded in his comments but sure didn't disagree with Pat Jones or Al. Jones seems to think OU just doesn't have the talent that OU has had in the past. We are just whiffing on too many recruits. To quote Coach Jones you have to constantly re-evaluate the evaluaters. Nobody acually used the term complacency but this was sure what they were decribing.

Soonerjeepman
9/24/2012, 01:34 PM
According to most people on here it's never on Bob. Every losing game he's ever coached was the player's fault they lost. The wins are a different story.

lol..Bob also thinks that...or says it at least.

I Am Right
9/24/2012, 01:54 PM
Now? maybe after UTEP, After osu game last year?

8timechamps
9/24/2012, 03:44 PM
Come on 8time...last year was he a good coach when were getting filleted at the end of the year?

Was he a good coach in 2010 when we lost to Missouri and TTU...and spare me beating a horrible UConn team in the bowl game.

Shall we even mention 2009?

2008 was a pretty damn good year for him and our Sooners...so JLEW is looking pretty spot on...IMHO.

2007 was an all right year...except that the unacceptable loss to Colorado and then getting beat by WVU in the bowl game.

So...it's really been a while since we have seen some top notch coaching from this staff.

Come on SiT, JLEW (who is a notorious over-reactor) said "Bob Stoops hasn't been a good coach since 2008". By what measure? I could at least understand one's reasoning if they said "Stoops has under-preformed since 2008", still wouldn't agree with it, but I could at least understand their thinking a little better. Bad coach? Hell no. John Blake was a "bad coach". Bob Stoops is an elite coach.

2009? Let's talk about it. What happened in 2009? You don't have to look past the BYU game. Anytime you lose a Heisman Trophy winner, you're going to have growing pains. In 4 of the 5 losses that year, OU lost by an average of 3 points. The only really unexplained loss that year was Tech.

2010, OU lost to a ranked team, on the road. That happens. Again, The Tech game remains a mystery to me.

2011, If you want to pin the three losses on Stoops, have at it. I'll live the rest of my life thinking injuries did us in. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Anyone that thinks Bob Stoops has been a "bad coach" in any season he's been at OU, let alone a stretch of 4 years, is living in a different reality.

Sabanball
9/24/2012, 10:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Would Nick Saban tolerate the lackluster performance we seem to get several times a year by our staff and players? Bob seems to be about making excuses for LJ, Saban would make a move to get LJ's attention somehow. Teams aren't afraid of us anymore. They know if they hit us in the mouth, we'll fold. That part hurts me the most as a Sooner fan of over 50 years.

No he would not, and that to me is your problem--Bob is the second best coach in all of college football, but he is accepting mediocrity from his staff and some of your players. He needs to drastically raise the intensity level and sense of urgency with both and start holding people accountable. When was the last time he fired an assistant or kicked a player off the team? Not saying it hasn't happened, but sometimes you have to send a message. You guys have the talent like you always have, but I saw a K state team whip an OU team physically on both sides of the ball sat. night--something i thought that I would never live to see. I don't know if it's s/c, discipline, or what, but something is definitely amiss. Just be thankful that you have a HC that I think will get to the bottom of it and get it fixed. Bob is still very young and I think has some great years still in front of him...

SOONER44EVER
9/24/2012, 10:17 PM
Actually, the team that scored 17 points off turnovers won the game. Ok, and that team has a better coach.

SOONER44EVER
9/24/2012, 10:18 PM
Bob has not be a good coach since 2008 He's been a good coach, not a great coach.

Seamus
9/24/2012, 10:59 PM
JLEW (who is a notorious over-reactor)

LOL, yeah. This ^^^

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2012, 11:22 PM

I. Love ya man. But really? Does the players get together before, during and after the games to create the starting line up? Do the players decide who is playing during the games? No.

When a running back fumbles, he may not see the field for the rest of the game. If the starting QB flushes the pocket and fumbles leading to a scoop and score. When the starting QB is throwing bad passes all game. When the starting QB turns the ball over 2 times, and doesn't get benched...that is coaching.

I belive giving people chances to correct their mistakes during a game. But it was painfully obvious that Landry Jones was beside himself all night. He committed the first turnover. He responded well. But it seemed after Bell fumbled, Jones went into his classic "oh ****" mode the rest of the game.

Then there is the pathetic excuse of play calling.

Early in the game, the run was working. It was adequate. Then we get behind by 7 and we completely adbandon it.

Why hasn't Jones played at all under center? OU has ran almost 300 offensive plays this year, and the only time we have been under center with Landry was in a victory formation vs. UTEP.

If you look at 2010, Landry actually did really well from under center. Maybe because he is tighter to start the play in the pocket so he doesn't get the sense of panic from seeing a End or CB rushing past his front side?

IDK what all the answer are. But I can tell you this much. Running from shotgun in a spread offense with weaknesses like Landry's inability to escape pressure. And with the inexperience of the OL to make proper adjustments on every pass rush can completely expose your weaknesses.

Line up under center in a prostyle offense. Run the ball dowhill. Use the success of the downhill running to open the passing game. Use it to play action.

But I do know other thing. When I can sit on my couch and watch the game and guess the type of play coming a good number of times, what do you think the opposing DC thinks?

Our offense is so unbelieveably predictible on all downs. We do not make the defense play on their heels. We do not keep the defense off balance.

Huddle up and get away from the spread offense. It hasn't really worked well since Bradford left!

8timechamps
9/25/2012, 04:26 PM
I. Love ya man. But really? Does the players get together before, during and after the games to create the starting line up? Do the players decide who is playing during the games? No.

When a running back fumbles, he may not see the field for the rest of the game. If the starting QB flushes the pocket and fumbles leading to a scoop and score. When the starting QB is throwing bad passes all game. When the starting QB turns the ball over 2 times, and doesn't get benched...that is coaching.

I belive giving people chances to correct their mistakes during a game. But it was painfully obvious that Landry Jones was beside himself all night. He committed the first turnover. He responded well. But it seemed after Bell fumbled, Jones went into his classic "oh ****" mode the rest of the game.

Then there is the pathetic excuse of play calling.

Early in the game, the run was working. It was adequate. Then we get behind by 7 and we completely adbandon it.

Why hasn't Jones played at all under center? OU has ran almost 300 offensive plays this year, and the only time we have been under center with Landry was in a victory formation vs. UTEP.

If you look at 2010, Landry actually did really well from under center. Maybe because he is tighter to start the play in the pocket so he doesn't get the sense of panic from seeing a End or CB rushing past his front side?

IDK what all the answer are. But I can tell you this much. Running from shotgun in a spread offense with weaknesses like Landry's inability to escape pressure. And with the inexperience of the OL to make proper adjustments on every pass rush can completely expose your weaknesses.

Line up under center in a prostyle offense. Run the ball dowhill. Use the success of the downhill running to open the passing game. Use it to play action.

But I do know other thing. When I can sit on my couch and watch the game and guess the type of play coming a good number of times, what do you think the opposing DC thinks?

Our offense is so unbelieveably predictible on all downs. We do not make the defense play on their heels. We do not keep the defense off balance.

Huddle up and get away from the spread offense. It hasn't really worked well since Bradford left!

I hear ya, but I can't get the thought of "if we don't turn over the ball, we win" out of my mind. Even if we keep one of those turnovers, we win (pick one). The game plan was good enough to win the game, the players were good enough to win the game, turnovers killed us.

boomermagic
9/25/2012, 04:36 PM
Bob's time has come and gone we need a new man with a new plan.

Great Gordo
9/25/2012, 05:47 PM
The mindset needs to change. How many great special teams plays did early Stoops’ teams make? Blocked punts resulting in touchdowns, forcing the issue, being the aggressor on offense, defense, and special teams, an OU coaching staff seemingly one step ahead of the opponents in all phases…. When was the last time OU tried blocking a punt? They now seem afraid to rough the kicker, afraid to get beat by a fake punt. Let’s show a sense of urgency out there, get the opponent playing on its heels, go out to win instead of playing not to lose. The intimation factor is gone, teams were afraid to play OU, opponents felt like they were fighting an uphill battle going into the game - now the opposition goes into the game with more confidence, they are now the aggressor, while OU increasingly seems to adopt an attitude of playing not to lose.

rainiersooner
9/25/2012, 06:34 PM

I agree with you and am not of the "Bob Stoops is fat and lazy and would rather count his money" school...BUT, just to quible...isn't a game plan always fine? I mean you don't go into a game with a game plan designed to lose the game! So I do think Stoops and the coaches are partly responsible because it's their job to teach and assist the kids in executing the game plan.