PDA

View Full Version : what are the answers to the problems?

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 10:29 AM
I'm really not interested in the political banter back and forth for this thread. There are plenty here from Rush to Marfa to Diver to sky to midtowner that like to spew talking points.

I get that.

That said, I'm not a very smart man when it comes to a lot of things. I have what I feel is important to me, but I honestly cannot find solutions to the problems that are facing our nation.

Now then, here are some rules, please try to stick with them when posting in this thread, I know it will be hard for some to do, but I haven't lost faith in humans being able to think for themselves, just yet.

1. No posting political talking points from either side of the aisle.
2. No degrading or negative posts directed at any posters in this thread.
3. Only offer up what YOU feel is thr proper solution to the proble.

Here are the most important problems I see facing this nation. Keep in mind these are why I feel are the most important.

1. What would YOU do to get this nation independent of OPEC?
2. What would you do to get our nations debt crisis under control?
3. What would you do for foreign policy?
4. What would you do to strengthen the nations eduaction of children, to get us back in the top 10 internationally?
5. What would you do to balance the budget?
6. What would you do to strengthen the nations economy?
7. What would you do to get people back to work?
8. What would you do to make this country attractive once again when it comes to manufacturing jobs?
9. What would you do to grow the middle class?
10. What would you do with the current tax codes or system?

Soonerjeepman
9/22/2012, 10:43 AM
wouldn't it be great if the actual candidates would tell us! lol. I'm tired of BOTH of them badmouthing each other. Just tell us what YOU are going to do.

AlboSooner
9/22/2012, 10:55 AM
Repentance and following the teachings of Jesus Christ.

/thread

MountainOkie
9/22/2012, 10:57 AM
NM

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 11:08 AM
Repentance and following the teachings of Jesus Christ.

/thread

Unforunately our nation is not a christain nation any longer. Too many people get all butthurt about religion in this nation.

olevetonahill
9/22/2012, 11:13 AM
More Whiskey, Then No one will GAF

Skysooner
9/22/2012, 11:13 AM
I'm really not interested in the political banter back and forth for this thread. There are plenty here from Rush to Marfa to Diver to sky to midtowner that like to spew talking points.

I get that.

That said, I'm not a very smart man when it comes to a lot of things. I have what I feel is important to me, but I honestly cannot find solutions to the problems that are facing our nation.

Now then, here are some rules, please try to stick with them when posting in this thread, I know it will be hard for some to do, but I haven't lost faith in humans being able to think for themselves, just yet.

Here are the most important problems I see facing this nation. Keep in mind these are why I feel are the most important.

4. What would you do to strengthen the nations eduaction of children, to get us back in the top 10 internationally?
8. What would you do to make this country attractive once again when it comes to manufacturing jobs?

1. We will be energy independent and are closer than you think. My whole job is analysis of North America's resources and cost of extraction. Keep up with mpg guidelines, encourage the installation of high pressure natural gas filling stations primarily for long-range transport and we are well on our way with the reserves we have in place.
2. Everything is on the table. Tax increases, spending decreases, entitlements and military. I'm not sure if we need a balanced budget amendment, but we don't want any tax increases going for new spending that isn't going to produce revenue.
3. Get out of the Middle East. We have done no good there at all. Drawdown the military some but keep a strong navy and striking arm.
4. The national standards are well-intentioned but basically useless. The teachers stop teaching and only teach on what is going to be tested. Pay for performance. This is a tougher question overall and one I'm only partially qualified to answer. My wife is a teacher, and I hear it from her all of the time.
5. See #2.
6. Our major problem is not enough qualified workers for the kinds of jobs we have. Take out of work people or people willing to retrain and are capable of it and help with the education (similar to the GI Bill). There are lots of caveats to this, but add jobs, you add people willing to buy and purchases increase. You can't give people money enough to get out of poverty, but you can certainly train them.
7. See #6. If they won't or can't get back to work (beyond disabilities) then very limited social safety net. People can't help that they are born into poverty, but they can help themselves get out of it with just a little help and if they won't, they shouldn't be helped anymore.
8. Lower energy costs help. Americans are ultimately very hard working and take less vacation than other countries. Work on the corporate tax code to encourage companies to open and keep plants here again.
9. See #6 and #8.
10. Simplify it, close loopholes, flat tax maybe with some deductions. This is a tricky one as the tax code is one way to incentivize behavior. Also this isn't my area.

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 11:15 AM
wouldn't it be great if the actual candidates would tell us! lol. I'm tired of BOTH of them badmouthing each other. Just tell us what YOU are going to do.

Eggsactly!!!

I'm tired of the rhetoric from either candidate.

Why can't campaigning get back to the basics and get each candidate to offer up real solutions to the real problem?

I know that candidates will offer up some solutions that they know will not get passed, but at least give us a starting ground for the discussion of fixing the problems rather than attacking a persons character, wealth, ethnic background, or social ideals.

If one feels its wrong, fine. Not all will agree, but instead of attacking the other for what you feel is wrong, offer a counter-solution.

Hell, I'm a college drop out, not a rich man when it comes to finances. Mor am I a guy that understand all of the problems facing this country. Doesn't mean I can't research for a solution and offer it up. If its wrong explain why and offer a different solution.

This nation will continue to go in the ****ter as long as those that are in power or running for power won't offer plausible solutions!

Anyway, that's my two cents.

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 11:22 AM
Thank you sky.

Very well answered. Not sure I agree with it all, but its a start.

Collectively, I think we can all get solutions to the problems out there. And why can't we form a list of questions to email the candidates? Even with the best possible solutions?

Sure they may not read or even consider it. But I think politicians should listen to us, even in Oklahomabecause we ultimately decide their fate in elections. We may not be a battle state, but we have the same concerns as others in this nation.

yermom
9/22/2012, 11:25 AM
fire everyone.

the problem is that most people are too comfortable for there to be any real change

Skysooner
9/22/2012, 11:33 AM
Thank you sky.

Very well answered. Not sure I agree with it all, but its a start.

Collectively, I think we can all get solutions to the problems out there. And why can't we form a list of questions to email the candidates? Even with the best possible solutions?

Sure they may not read or even consider it. But I think politicians should listen to us, even in Oklahomabecause we ultimately decide their fate in elections. We may not be a battle state, but we have the same concerns as others in this nation.

Thanks. I'm not even sure about some of it. The main thing I'm very sure of is energy policy which while isn't hurting us right now Obama constantly talks down and takes credit for s*** the government didn't do.

Grow the economy. Rein in spending (entitlements, discretionary). Help small businesses grow as that is where unemployment most gets affected. Get our education system up and running and help those that might not have a chance to go to college if they a) show aptitude b) do a degree that is useful c) work through college.

That's basically it in generalities.

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 11:35 AM
Maybe term limits on congress will do the trick?

Skysooner
9/22/2012, 11:41 AM
Maybe term limits on congress will do the trick?

I would be all for that. Right now we have guys simply trying to hang onto their jobs long enough to get a gig lobbying. This wasn't ever meant to be a lifetime career, but it sure has turned into one.

marfacowboy
9/22/2012, 11:50 AM
Drink more beer and spend more time outside. Be an involved member of a community. Give communities more control over their own affairs, especially their schools.
I believe firmly in grass roots democracy.

I like most of Sky's suggestions. I'd add that it may be time for us to take more of an isolationist position. We can't fund the whole world's problems any longer. Why the hell are we giving Israel so much aid? They're perfectly capable of whipping anyone over there that gives them problems.

Other responses in situ....
I'm not as agreeable to "drill here, drill now." Sky seems to have the right approach, which is, as I understand it, to explore, drill and develop sources within biological and geophysical limits. Doing it without endangering the ecosystem. Libs and conservatives won't agree much on this, I know, but we've got to find a sane, compromising position. The bottom line is we need oil. There's no replacement for oil, at least nothing that delivers the same punch the price. Stay the hell out of and away from National Parks.
Redevelop communities so people can live closer to work and not have these long commutes. It's insane. Costs too much money, and it's too stressful.
Again, I agree with Sky. Everything's on the table, except I do support Krugman's position of more short term stimulus and cuts during recovery.
I'm becoming more of an isolationist. The rest of the world is going to have to find more solutions to their problems. Of course the problem is our economic system is hitched to everyone else's to some degree. I'd can NAFTA on day one.
We've talked about this a lot. Trade schools for those that can't cut the mustard academically. No more passing everyone. Teachers have to be held accountable by a fair, comprehensive review process.
Already discussed
Agree with Sky on this point. We have to reengineer our economy. Bring back our jobs from China and India. If Apple doesn't want to cooperate, fine. Offer incentives for them to reconsider their position. I like a short term New Deal approach, retraining workers for a new economy. I'd also have some people working on redeveloping our infrastructure and then develop a major push for construction and engineering companies to focus on inner-city redevelopment of aging structures and areas. Tear down buildings that can't be salvaged and build new ones. But the sprawl approach has got to stop.
see #6
Give companies incentives to bring them back.
see "education"
simplify...the flat tax has always strangely appealed to me...I keep trying to find something wrong with but can't. I just can't believe I agree with Steve Forbes.

marfacowboy
9/22/2012, 11:51 AM
I would be all for that. Right now we have guys simply trying to hang onto their jobs long enough to get a gig lobbying. This wasn't ever meant to be a lifetime career, but it sure has turned into one.

Me too. This bunch is embedded like a bunch of tics on a coon hound.

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 11:52 AM
That's basically it in generalities.

See I agree with most of that. And to add to it...

I'm not against helping people that can and will help themselves. But I'm very much against helping people that don't want to use the help to better themselves.

Example: before I moved to where I'm currently located, I lived in an apartment complex that was mainly section 8. They had some apartments that weren't income based and I had one of them.

There was a woman there that had a daughter that became friends with my daughter. I was working fulltime trying to make it better for my daughter and I both. And this woman, who was only 28 didn't work. She was on social security and TANF. She had food stamps. Fine, I can live with her getting help.

One day I asked her why she didn't work. Or why she didn't go find a job. I asked this because she was complaining about having no money.

She told me that she doesn't have to work. She said the reason she was on disability was because she is bipolar. And that she didn't want to work so she wouldn't lose her disability.

I asked her why don't she take advantage of the SSI and go back to school and get her GED? She said she didn't want to nor have to because she was getting free money. Her words,"why should I have to work when the government pays for everything?"

That is what's wrong with this nation. Too many people thinking they are entitled to what they don't pay in.

Oh and one last thing about that woman. She has never worked a day in her life, according to her!

There are thousands, maybe millions that have her way of thinking in this country.

marfacowboy
9/22/2012, 12:39 PM
That is what's wrong with this nation. Too many people thinking they are entitled to what they don't pay in.

Oh and one last thing about that woman. She has never worked a day in her life, according to her!

There are thousands, maybe millions that have her way of thinking in this country.

I'm sure there are people like that. There are also people that make millions upon millions and don't treat their workers very well or pay them fairly.
This all comes down to how people are raised. The basic functional, critical unit in human societies is the home/family. If there's disfunction and poor leadership in the home, it typically affects everything else.
I don't know how you solve that problem, and it's getting worse. Two kids from bad homes grow up with poor ethics and then have four to eight more kids they end up with the same values being passed on. Of course not all of them will repeat the cycle. Some will figure it out and break the cycle. But the odds are not good.

LiveLaughLove
9/22/2012, 12:51 PM
fire everyone.

the problem is that most people are too comfortable for there to be any real change
Term limits for everyone in Washington would be a tremendous start. These were never intended to be career, lifelong jobs.

They honor people like Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd, but to me they were villains of the highest order. They helped corrupt what should be an honored duty and turned it in to a corrupt lifestyle.

I also wish they would pass a law that says you don't get a single thing named after you, until at least 50-100 years after you have retired. I think it's complete crap that these guys get earmarks and then name stuff after themselves.

Talk about arrogance with OUR money!

I don't want any Reagan Internationals (even though I don't think he had anything directly to do with it), Kennedy Space Centers, Robert Byrd Highways, Robert Byrd Byways, Robert Byrd Reservoirs, Robert Byrd Latrines.

We have plenty of bygone heroes that things should be named after. Real heroes, Like Audie (sp?) Murphy, Sgt York, Grover Washington, Chief Joseph (my fav Indian also Marfa), Barry Switzer.

LiveLaughLove
9/22/2012, 12:53 PM

Missed this before I posted, so kudos and exactly right.

rock on sooner
9/22/2012, 01:58 PM

I get that.

1. I don't think we can ever get completely clear of OPEC because the world is too
interconnected. But, Sky's point about NG for long haul trucking is right on and I'm
sure the MPG guidelines will continue, no matter whose in the WH.
2. I agree that everything should be on the table. I'd point out that SS, handled
properly, is not a drag on debt. Medicare and Medicaid can be eliminated as a drag
by thoroughly "scrubbing"...all 50 states...for waste, fraud and abuse.
3. On foreign policy, not too sure about become a true isolationist but am sure that
we don't need to be the world cop. Militarily, instead of having bases and outposts in
150 or so countries, consolidate 2 and 3 into one base, eliminate duplication and rotate
the redundancies home and retrain. If we cut down on our footprints abroad sensible
foreign policy would follow. Getting out of the Middle East is a good idea, sure help to
diffuse anti-Americanism, though I don't think we should completely vacate the region,
at least until we can get our OPEC dependence into a successful 12 step program.
4. I think national standards on some aspects is important, mostly because I fear that
leaving it completely to the states will create 50 different approaches. Examples of
excellence are found in Minnesota and Iowa, lack of excellence in Mississippi. Pay
for performance, touchy, who does the ratings and, who rates the raters?
5. Balancing the budget is a long term affair...cut spending 3 1/2% first year and
increase 1/2% each year following unitl it reaches 10%. Freeze gov't hiring, natural
attrition will downsize the beast..over a 4 or 5 year time frame. See #2 on entitle-
ments. Additional to #3 on the military, reduce carrier battlegroups from 11 to 8 or 9.
(Military is looking to downsize or resize right now). Finish getting out of Afghanistan
and stay out of regional disputes, unless they directly affect our shores.
6 and 7. Getting the economy in higher gear involves corps hiring..could be persuaded
to do so by a tax amnesty on overseas cash, get them to bring it home without a huge
tax bite. Also, since our infrastructure is in shambles..highways, bridges, schools, etc.
with all the skills the returning military has create a sort of WPA, only civilian inspired
and run. Create job specific training schools in the regions where the work is to be done.
8. Sky mentioned lower energy costs..that's good. Now a little of the isolationist might
be in order here. Every other country's gov'ts protect their mfgring., we should, too. Get
the factories back home and support and protect them, so the jobs increase. Tax codes
for corps are onerous in the US, get them down!
9. #6,7, & 8
10. Simplify is a good word. A 2 or 3 tax brackets code, topped at 25% for individuals,
close the corporate and high earners loopholes. VATs or flat taxes are really regressive
and would do more harm than good, imo.

A lot of what I said is a rehash of others, but in the overall context...well, my two cents
worth, also.

marfacowboy
9/22/2012, 02:26 PM
2. I agree that everything should be on the table. I'd point out that SS, handled
properly, is not a drag on debt. Medicare and Medicaid can be eliminated as a drag
by thoroughly "scrubbing"...all 50 states...for waste, fraud and abuse.

I should have said everything should be on the table but Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. I don't agree with that.
We're going to have to have social programs, folks. It's unavoidable in a nation of 300 million people unless you want to see real breakdown. It can be improved. I do agree with that, and if you want to know where the real waste is, it's discussed here (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/09/how-the-us-health-care-system-wastes-750-billion-annually/262106/).

And Medicare and Medicaid appear to be better run than private insurance, according to this report (http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/ftpdocs/87xx/doc8758/11-13-lt-health.pdf). See page 7, "Spending on Health Care as a Percentage of Gross Domestic Product, 1960 to 2005."

pphilfran
9/22/2012, 03:55 PM

I get that.

1. What would YOU do to get this nation independent of OPEC? See Sky
2. What would you do to get our nations debt crisis under control? Freeze spending at current levels and let inflation slowly bring the annual deficit down...increase SS limit to 140k and increase age by 2 years (slow increase 3 mounts or so per year) Shut down some of our foreign military bases and bring em home...spend that money here instead of overseas and use it as stimulus
3. What would you do for foreign policy? I don't think anything will be effective, though I would be shutting down foreign bases
4. What would you do to strengthen the nations eduaction of children, to get us back in the top 10 internationally? Expand Vo Tech/Trade system and move many into that path
5. What would you do to balance the budget? See #2
6. What would you do to strengthen the nations economy? Fair Trade instead of Free Trade...make it known what the future taxes will be to eliminate concerns ( I would not be raising taxes)....Sky's plan to save spending money on imported crude and create US jobs in that industry...additional spending on infrastructure
7. What would you do to get people back to work? See #6 ...grow the economy
8. What would you do to make this country attractive once again when it comes to manufacturing jobs? Fair trade
9. What would you do to grow the middle class? Grow the economy and put the clamps down on illegal immigration...illegals lower the wage scale that extends into the middle class
10. What would you do with the current tax codes or system?Scrap it and go fair tax or value added...anything to get rid of the thousands of pages of current tax code

My answers are awfully simplified and each would need pages by themselves...

ouwasp
9/22/2012, 05:18 PM
haven't read any of the replies, just now saw the thread... just thought I'd toss my $0.02 in...

1. Immediate construction of new refineries and also drop all restrictions on offshore/ANWR drilling. Also, look to Brazil and see how much of their strategy we could copy.
2. Not sure. But we need to publicly acknowledge that what has been done in the past is not working now.
3. Support Israel. Bring the troops home from Afghanistan and Iraq, all of them. Think about telling the UN to relocate to Paris. Stop kissing Red China's tail and depending on their good will...
4. Stop trying to educate the masses in a college prep type curriculum; offer vocational training at around age 12-13. Quit the ridiculous over-emphasis on standardized testing.
5. Pass a Balanced Budget Amendment.
6. Enforce protect tariffs. Repeal NAFTA. Punish companies that export their jobs to Mexico.
7. Not sure... Americans demand such a high wage it will be hard to re-energize our manufacturing base, but that is where the money is. Dropping a lot of federal/EPA regs sounds like a good staring place.
8. Just now saw #8 (seems to relate to #7). Once again, trade restrictions seem to be an avenue toward bringing some of those jobs back home. Union power would hamper any results of these efforts.
9. In many respects, this may be a self-inflicted problem. Think of all the middle class folks we know that try and live above their means... then, when the bills come due they try and place the blame elsewhere. That didn't answer the question, but I know many "middle-classers" that live check-to-check just because.
10. Go with the Fair Tax proposal that fellow from GA promotes.

Bonus proposal:
11. Turn an island, say, Nantucket Island, into the Isle of Meth. Any and all perpetual loser druggies will be transported there to live (exist) with others of their kind. Dope that is confiscated during busts will be air-dropped to these dolts to continue living the high life. Also drop some peanut butter and tv dinners to them for life support. Nantucket probably won't be big enough to house all these parasites, so let's move the Isle of Meth to the Aleutian Islands. Heavily mine the surrounding sea and also do something to boost the local White Shark population. And we'd all live happily ever after.