PDA

View Full Version : Robert Smith picks OU over KSU

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2012, 09:28 AM
Just watched Robert Smith's weekend picks on espn and not surprisingly, he picks OU. What was surprising is that his reason is that KSU will not be able to stop OU's running game!? Clips of Williams runs were playing in the background. I can't remember the last time someone used OU's running game as the reason for OUr victory. And this against a team that LJ racked up 500yds passing last season.

Soonerjeepman
9/22/2012, 09:47 AM
obviously if our offensive line can give LJ time we can win...prob by 2/3 TD's...I do think our D can contain them. The RB's better be ready to pick up blitzes. I see lots of screens, short routes...maybe a shovel pass. Things to get ksu's D off balance, negate any speed on the corners.

Can't believe I'm going to a wedding of the GF family...and missing this game...ugh.

Breadburner
9/22/2012, 09:59 AM
My Ex's Daughter got married on OU/Texas....Guess where I was.....:semi-twins:

Soonerjeepman
9/22/2012, 10:14 AM
lol...NOT at the wedding!

I did tell her that the 4 kids (2 of her's and 2 of mine) WILL NOT get married on an OU game day~

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 11:01 AM
obviously if our offensive line can give LJ time we can win...prob by 2/3 TD's...I do think our D can contain them. The RB's better be ready to pick up blitzes. I see lots of screens, short routes...maybe a shovel pass. Things to get ksu's D off balance, negate any speed on the corners.

Can't believe I'm going to a wedding of the GF family...and missing this game...ugh.

Record the game. Some things in life are more important than football, this wedding isn't though! Shame on you!

Now then, if you break down the game film of the two games so far, the OL hasn't played all that bad.there was some significant improvement fundamentally from game one to game two. Has nothing to do with the competition either. Their footwork and technique was better in game two.

OU has allowed 6 sacks this year.

One was because Jones turned the wrong way right into a end that was being solidly blocked by Lane Johnson.

Three were because Jones held onto the ball way to long. More than 5 seconds before being sacked. His indecision caused the sacks on those, not the OL.

Two were because the defense brought more than 5 rushers. One was clean and the other was because the back whiffed on the block.

During a live game those plays make the OL look bad or not as good. But when you study the game play by play, position by postion, the OL did really well.

OU has allowed 11 tackles for a loss in two games. That isn't good either. 1 was in the belldozer package. 5 were from swing passes that got tackled for a loss. The other five were caused by run blitzes on obvious run downs. The NCAA does not include sacks in this category.
Like I said, the OL has done a decent job thusfar. How well they will do against much better competition is yet to be seen. I would guess the OL will hold up well. And the run game will gain at least enough to open up passing lanes and get Landry going for a solid game.

My prediction is:

OU rushes for at least 175 yards. They throw for at least 275.

I can see KSU rushing for around 200 and passing for about 175.

This game sounds close, but it wouldn't surprise me if OU covers the vegas spread handsomely.

bluedogok
9/22/2012, 11:02 AM
My Ex's Daughter got married on OU/Texas....Guess where I was.....:semi-twins:
Must have been OSU fans....I know many who got married on that weekend.

I did have a former co-worker in Austin who got married on OU-Texas weekend, both are UT alums and he was a diver for UT. Their wedding was actually the Friday before in Dallas instead of it being in Austin (or Corpus Christi where she is from). So the game was actually central to their planning of the event and they have a built-in anniversary trip every year and that was her idea.

GameWarden
9/22/2012, 01:40 PM
Today will be a real test for OU's OL. They will be trying to hurry-up and Snyder will do his best to confuse them. I think OU will win in spite of it but I don't have much faith in OUr O-line coaches. I think they turn out an average product. At least they have an excuse this year after losing 2 starters.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2012, 02:33 PM
It always seems to me that teams that run well stop the run well. Practice against it, I suppose.

We will run but just to open up the pass.

Landry has a great day at home.

85sooners
9/22/2012, 03:39 PM
Pound the rock!!