PDA

View Full Version : Jamell Fleming

aj44mc
9/21/2012, 03:05 PM
I have not seen this posted yet.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/20120920arizona-cardinals-cb-jamell-fleming-making-strides.html?nclick_check=1

swardboy
9/21/2012, 03:08 PM
Apparently my cookies aren't enabled....

Widescreen
9/21/2012, 03:22 PM
It says cookies must be enabled for me too. Since mine are enabled, I guess it's Jamell that needs to enable cookies.

aj44mc
9/21/2012, 03:33 PM
Jamell Fleming is still learning, adjusting to the speed and physicality of the NFL. And with the Cardinals frequently turning to nickel packages on defense, especially last Sunday against the Patriots, depth in the secondary is a must, so the rookie cornerback is learning on the fly.

Fleming was on the field for 80 of the Cardinals' 82 defensive snaps against New England. He wasn't huge on the stat sheet, recording four tackles and no pass break-ups, but he had big value when it came to what he didn't do.

"He's not giving up any big plays," fellow cornerback Patrick Peterson said. "Giving up touchdowns, giving up big plays, that can put you on the bench. He's keeping everything in front of him, and he's played his role to the best of his ability."
Fleming impressed coaches during training camp with his competiveness and ability to change direction. Now he is continuing to earn the trust of coach Ken Whisenhunt and defensive coordinator Ray Horton, as evidenced by their willingness to put him on the field for nearly every defensive play.

"It's given me a lot of confidence, knowing I have people behind me that trust me and know I can play," Fleming said. "It's been a challenge, learning the speed of the game and everything, but I got to keep myself motivated."

For Fleming, a third-round pick out of Oklahoma, it doesn't hurt to have a teammate such as Peterson, who went through the same adjustments as a rookie last season.

"Patrick pushes me a lot," Fleming said. "He comes to practice and gives me a spark. We work together a lot after practice. He's a great dude."

Peterson sees a little bit of himself in Fleming, and isn't afraid to be aggressive with his motivational tactics to make sure Fleming progresses the right way.

"Man, I'm on him all day, every day," Peterson said. "I tell him to take no plays off, to give 110 percent each and every play, make sure you're running to the ball, things like that. I can tell him a lot about the game, but at the end of the day it's going to come down to being mentally ready to play."

Fleming will likely have a big role again Sunday when the Cardinals face the Philadelphia Eagles' passing attack featuring receivers DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.

He's still learning, but he has earned a passing grade from his coaches and teammates.

"It's still a young season, but we have all the confidence in the world in Jamell," Peterson said. "If we didn't, he wouldn't be out there."

yermom
9/21/2012, 04:06 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2012/09/20/20120920arizona-cardinals-cb-jamell-fleming-making-strides.html

??

goingoneight
9/21/2012, 10:45 PM
Fleming seemed like he was here forever until 2010 when he became a starter. I thought when I heard it mentioned he was starting that he was one of those "starter by default" kinda-situations where we didn't have a better corner. After Utha State, I thought it was going to be a LONG year on his side of the field. Then, it was like he just flipped the switch and was a buh-dass ever since.

BlownGP
9/22/2012, 01:14 AM
Wish the saints could have picked him up.. Damn we need some good DB's