PDA

View Full Version : Talimena Drive

KantoSooner
9/21/2012, 02:10 PM
This week was Arkansas week for me and work. Since I was over there and had the afternoon free, I decided to come back via the scenic route.

Good Lord! If you've never driven that portion of both states, you owe it to yourself. Fantastic scenery.

End of chamber of commerce message.

Mississippi Sooner
9/21/2012, 02:23 PM
It's been about 20 years since I last did it, but I'd love to take that drive again. It lives up to the billing.

olevetonahill
9/21/2012, 02:46 PM
This week was Arkansas week for me and work. Since I was over there and had the afternoon free, I decided to come back via the scenic route.

Good Lord! If you've never driven that portion of both states, you owe it to yourself. Fantastic scenery.

End of chamber of commerce message.
Heh, You drove within a very few miles of the shack
Shoulda hollered

SoonerInFortSmith
9/21/2012, 03:13 PM
Wait a couple more weeks til the leaves start changing. Its even more spectacular then.

olevetonahill
9/21/2012, 03:39 PM
Wait a couple more weeks til the leaves start changing. Its even more spectacular then.

Yup. I cruise that way regular
Lots of wild an rugged country

StoopTroup
9/21/2012, 04:03 PM
I been through there quite a few times and it is a great place if you aren't in a hurry. Always keep your camera in the vehicle when you go there. One of the most beautiful places in Oklahoma.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/61928195.jpg

hawaii 5-0
9/21/2012, 09:26 PM
Didja stop by Cedar Lake?

I once hiked down to it from The Drive. Took my dog.

We camped out at the Lake and had the whole place to ourselves. I used dead dogwood branches for a very pleasant aromatic campfire.

I didn't catch any fish tho.

5-0

olevetonahill
9/21/2012, 09:42 PM
Didja stop by Cedar Lake?

I once hiked down to it from The Drive. Took my dog.

We camped out at the Lake and had the whole place to ourselves. I used dead dogwood branches for a very pleasant aromatic campfire.

I didn't catch any fish tho.

5-0

You may have camped at Cedar lake But Ima have to call BS on you sayin you Hiked to it from The Talimena Drive
thats at least 8 miles as the crow flies over some of the most rugged country around

SoonerInFortSmith
9/21/2012, 10:02 PM
I swear I saw Bigfoot down that way once.

olevetonahill
9/21/2012, 10:06 PM

Ya prolly just drove close to the shack

SoonerInFortSmith
9/21/2012, 10:28 PM

Ya prolly just drove close to the shack

I'm sure I have.

olevetonahill
9/21/2012, 10:35 PM
I'm sure I have.

Then ya dint see BF ya prolly saw me out walkin :congratulatory:

SunnySooner
9/22/2012, 10:12 AM
We used to go almost every year in the fall, usually a Sunday afternoon with various and sundry aunties, uncles, and cousins along. There was always really good food, too, those women can throw down on the fried chicken. Haven't been since high school...dang it, now I'm homesick, thanks a lot, Kanto!!!!!

bluedogok
9/22/2012, 11:23 AM
Talimena is a very nice drive/ride, especially in leaf peeping season. Quite a few riders from North Texas are heading up there in the coming weeks. We are planning on doing that next weekend in Breckenridge, staying there to venture out some further west. The weather will determine whether we take the motorcycle or convertible.

olevetonahill
9/22/2012, 11:33 AM
Thos that wanta make the trip Make sure ya stop by for some "Refreshment"
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Cider-Jar-Leaves-1-x-1-moonshine-hillbilly-liquor-Rubber-Stamp-/08/!CC-O-GQB2k~$%28KGrHqJ,!l4Ez+vdEoP!BNN!gPbHSg~~_35.JPG

Breadburner
9/22/2012, 11:36 AM
Soak it in cider.....:applause:

olevetonahill
9/22/2012, 11:39 AM
Soak it in cider.....:applause:

:cocksure:

picasso
9/22/2012, 02:50 PM
We are going out to the family cabin just east of Hartshorne in early November. Love it down there.

olevetonahill
9/22/2012, 02:57 PM
We are going out to the family cabin just east of Hartshorne in early November. Love it down there.

Jack Fork area?

GDC
9/22/2012, 06:21 PM

It was probably the Legend of Boggy Creek Monster since Fouke, Arkansas is just down the road a ways.

StoopTroup
9/23/2012, 11:37 PM
We used to go almost every year in the fall, usually a Sunday afternoon with various and sundry aunties, uncles, and cousins along. There was always really good food, too, those women can throw down on the fried chicken. Haven't been since high school...dang it, now I'm homesick, thanks a lot, Kanto!!!!!

One day you will return Home.....LOL

KantoSooner
9/24/2012, 03:44 PM
Thos that wanta make the trip Make sure ya stop by for some "Refreshment"
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Cider-Jar-Leaves-1-x-1-moonshine-hillbilly-liquor-Rubber-Stamp-/08/!CC-O-GQB2k~$%28KGrHqJ,!l4Ez+vdEoP!BNN!gPbHSg~~_35.JPG

Is that a wisp of smoke coming out of the top of the jug?

hawaii 5-0
9/24/2012, 05:07 PM
You may have camped at Cedar lake But Ima have to call BS on you sayin you Hiked to it from The Talimena Drive
thats at least 8 miles as the crow flies over some of the most rugged country around

It was about 30 years ago and I no longer have the topo map. It was about 5 miles. I think the turnout was Horsethief Springs. Downhill almost all the way from the Drive with lots of switchbacks. Crossed a coupla county roads. Yeah, I was there regardless of what you think.

Say, is Hembree Chevrolet still in Heavener?

5-0

olevetonahill
9/24/2012, 07:42 PM
It was about 30 years ago and I no longer have the topo map. It was about 5 miles. I think the turnout was Horsethief Springs. Downhill almost all the way from the Drive with lots of switchbacks. Crossed a coupla county roads. Yeah, I was there regardless of what you think.

5-0

Been gone almost 30 tears itself

swardboy
9/26/2012, 11:16 AM
That's a lot of crying.

olevetonahill
9/26/2012, 11:23 AM
That's a lot of crying.

Heh,

captain_surly
9/26/2012, 12:50 PM

5-0

More like 7 miles and it does start at Horsethief Springs. I've mountain biked it many times. Thats where I learned that horses are scared ****less of bicycles. If you see one coming, get off your bike and lay it down. The rider will appreciate it.

olevetonahill
9/26/2012, 01:02 PM
My Bad

StoopTroup
9/27/2012, 11:27 AM
More like 7 miles and it does start at Horsethief Springs. I've mountain biked it many times. Thats where I learned that horses are scared ****less of bicycles. If you see one coming, get off your bike and lay it down. The rider will appreciate it.

Its lessons like this that get burned into your brain like your first bar fight.....lol

KantoSooner
9/27/2012, 01:08 PM
Or the first time you vomit tequila out your nose.

Little life lessons that keep 'giving back' even 20, 30 or 40 years later...

picasso
9/27/2012, 01:38 PM
Jack Fork area?
Yes! Way down and up a surveyor's road. Quite remote.

olevetonahill
9/27/2012, 02:42 PM
Yes! Way down and up a surveyor's road. Quite remote.

In the early 70s I worked for the Forest service as a Part time Fire fighter. Some rugged country back in there

Mjcpr
9/27/2012, 03:00 PM
In the early 70s I worked for the Forest service as a Part time Fire fighter. Some rugged country back in there

McCurtain County is well known for its part time fires.

Position Limit
9/27/2012, 03:12 PM
i love that part of the state. it's truly the most scenic and beautiful. i camped cedar lake this last spring. wow. cant wait to go back. i also camped and floated the kiamichi river this summer which was also stunning. a couple of years ago we rented a house on the lower mountain fork river which is just a little south of ouchita mountains and it might have been my favorite (great fishing).

hey ole vet, can you tell me if the lower mountain fork river is part of either the kiamichi or ouchita mountains? also, what other areas do you recommend in those areas. cedar lake did blow me away but it got a little too crowed. thanks in advance...

olevetonahill
9/27/2012, 03:26 PM
i love that part of the state. it's truly the most scenic and beautiful. i camped cedar lake this last spring. wow. cant wait to go back. i also camped and floated the kiamichi river this summer which was also stunning. a couple of years ago we rented a house on the lower mountain fork river which is just a little south of ouchita mountains and it might have been my favorite (great fishing).

hey ole vet, can you tell me if the lower mountain fork river is part of either the kiamichi or ouchita mountains? also, what other areas do you recommend in those areas. cedar lake did blow me away but it got a little too crowed. thanks in advance...

Its been years since I did any camping or Hiking .

Theres a small lake In the Talihina area thats pretty much off the beaten path,Cant remember the name, tho It is an Indian name,
Before Sardis lake was built I used to camp a lot at Clayton lake.

Sorry I cant be more help.
I live right here by Wister lake in the hills so dont see much need to go elsewhere
Mountain fork is quite a bit south of me

IB4OU2
9/27/2012, 03:53 PM
McCurtain County is well known for its part time fires.

If you see smoke around Beavers Bend...slow down.

GDC
9/27/2012, 04:40 PM
Don't forget to check out the Heavener rune stone.

KantoSooner
9/27/2012, 04:45 PM
What's the current word on the rune stone?

I had heard that it was supposedly the work of boy scouts around 1915. Then I heard that some Scandahoovian Phd had seen it and said, 'No, it's for real.'

Anyone have an updated version of the thinking?

olevetonahill
9/27/2012, 05:13 PM
What's the current word on the rune stone?

I had heard that it was supposedly the work of boy scouts around 1915. Then I heard that some Scandahoovian Phd had seen it and said, 'No, it's for real.'

Anyone have an updated version of the thinking?

Not sure what anyone else thinks about it, The State was going to close the park , Not sure what happened there either, Maybe some Group took it over
Its a Nice little walk down around it and they had a nice enclosed place for it last time I was there but thats been almost 20 years also

picasso
9/28/2012, 12:23 AM
You are not kidding. The place is on a gated ranch that has some old oil lease roads that were once blacktopped. There is a maze of roads once you get up into the pines and you most certanly have to lock your hubs and get out and talk the driver over some sharp rock type places. It's beautiful though and there's only one other cabin in the canyon across the creek. Cousin Paul is a wealthy former Marine forrestry type who has some high tech Bigfoot tracking devices. It's fun to drink, smoke, and put out the vibe for the ole Skunk Ape. heh