PDA

View Full Version : iPhoney: Who has one?

badger
9/21/2012, 11:48 AM
I saw this ad during football last night and giggled:
1_3TlZmnYgI

I see iPhones everywhere, but really, I don't see the big deal. It seems like an expensive gizmo that you pay to look cool using (kind of like a Mac as opposed to a functional other-brand PC).

So... are you an iPhoney? And if so, why are they so popular?

MamaMia
9/21/2012, 12:16 PM
I have had every version of iPhone and love mine. Its just a personal preference. I know people who haven't liked theirs and prefer other brands. I already looked cool, so I didn't need an iPhone for that. :D

soonerboomer93
9/21/2012, 12:24 PM
Windows Phone and Android both make you store contacts in the could and oddly windows phone no longer supports syncing with outlook (I.E. to get your contacts). While iPhones still do.

We don't use exchange so I much prefer to sync that stuff to my local computer and outlook.

MsProudSooner
9/21/2012, 12:49 PM
I have one. It would take more than a phone to make me look cool, so it's not because of that! I just like having a smart phone. If I had gotten some other brand first, I would probably like it as well.

Curly Bill
9/21/2012, 12:51 PM
I like my iPhone because I'm definitely no techno geek and yet I find it easy to use.

badger
9/21/2012, 01:54 PM
I must say, that my smartphone that I got about a year ago after having nothing but dumb phones has gotten me more involved with facebook and in-laws. baby badger pics everywhere! :P

However, I cannot believe that people are camping out for a stupid phone. Apple seems to be doing something right with the hype machine:
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/070629_iphone_vmed_4p.jpeg
Tons of Apple-shirted geniuses high fiving and applauding a purchase. Awwww yeah, man, I just got an iPhone five.

KantoSooner
9/21/2012, 02:06 PM
Its a great phone and I was sick of the 'putty colored box' school of computer devices that are made to function minimally until 24 hours after their warranties expire. I've been happy with it and won't go back to a cheapie or a microcrap product.

Androids may be just fine.

8timechamps
9/21/2012, 05:05 PM
It's like Chevy vs. Ford. Brand loyalty.

There was a time that iPhones did more than the other phones out there. Now, there are other phones that do the same, if not more.

MamaMia
9/21/2012, 07:29 PM
A huge part of why I have stayed with the iPhone is familiarity. There is very little to learn from one version to the next. Getting an iPhone was a big leap for me in that before I got an iPhone, I was a loyal Nokia user. I went from one Nokia to another because I knew how to operate it, and it was easy. When my Nokia needed replaced, they were out of Nokias but it just so happened that the 1st iPhone had just been introduced. So, with my upgrade, I got a really good deal on one. I live in a fairly small town 2 to 3 hours away from any mall, so the service at my AT&T store is very personal and they go out of their way to help you with any problems, questions or issues of any kind.

Mississippi Sooner
9/21/2012, 07:38 PM
After years of Crackberry addiction, I've finally made the switch. But not to Apple. I just got me a new Galaxy SIII. I think I'm in love. I know I'm gonna be spending most of the weekend just exploring all the cool new features I can now enjoy.

8timechamps
9/21/2012, 08:21 PM
After years of Crackberry addiction, I've finally made the switch. But not to Apple. I just got me a new Galaxy SIII. I think I'm in love. I know I'm gonna be spending most of the weekend just exploring all the cool new features I can now enjoy.

You sound like me a year ago. I got the SII, and never looked back. I'm probably going to go to the SIII when my contract is up.

bluedogok
9/21/2012, 10:36 PM
I pre-ordered one last Friday after two years with an HTC Droid Incredible which I got to replace the AT&T iPhone 3G when I switched to Verizon a few months before a Verizon iPhone came out. I just preferred the iPhone over the Droid that I had. The only Apple products that I have are an iPod Classic (160gb) and iPod Nano (16gb). I have had some other MP3 players over the years but the accessories make the difference over the others. Macs do me no good since the software I use only runs on Windows and I rarely have had issues with Windows, I build my own desktops so I get my geek on there rather than a phone.

I am not a phone "power user" like I am on the computer side, I prefer to have the proper tool to do something rather than trying to make a phone do everything like some people do. I don't care about jailbreaking or all of the other possibilities of a phone, I just want it to do what I want it to and work when I want it to.

WA. Sooner
9/22/2012, 06:06 AM
Evo 3d here. The home made pron has a unique ending

salth2o
9/22/2012, 09:09 AM
Windows Phone and Android both make you store contacts in the could and oddly windows phone no longer supports syncing with outlook (I.E. to get your contacts). While iPhones still do.

We don't use exchange so I much prefer to sync that stuff to my local computer and outlook.

This was the biggest selling point for me to stay with iPhone. I have to be able to sync with outlook for work. The sales guy tried like heck to get me to buy the SGIII and I liked some of the features, but because it was bigger and not outlook friendly...I opted for another iPhone.

PhiDeltBeers
9/22/2012, 09:29 AM
Just read this from my new IPhone 5. I'm just used to iPhones, so I figure why change.

bluedogok
9/22/2012, 11:21 AM
This was the biggest selling point for me to stay with iPhone. I have to be able to sync with outlook for work. The sales guy tried like heck to get me to buy the SGIII and I liked some of the features, but because it was bigger and not outlook friendly...I opted for another iPhone.
While some of those new phones do have great screens I think when they get to a mini-tablet size like some are they are too big for me to comfortably carry in my pocket, then I don't really want one. I don't need a mini-tablet phone to carry around. If the iPhone5 was larger, wider and thicker like many of the newer Android phones I would've probably gone with something like the Droid Razor.

SoonerBread
9/22/2012, 02:56 PM
Droid Razor and Galaxy SIII are the ****. One of the two will be my next. I still use my old Samsung Galaxy Captivate. Spouse is an iPhone sheep. She's been frustrated with some things from time to time with her iPhones, but refuses to change to an Android platform phone because "Apples are the bestest!"

Android rocks my face off. User interface, widgets, price, app availability and number, and many other things favor the Andriod phones over the iPhones.

Hey, iPhone5 users, how's that Apple Maps treating you? Wish you had Google Maps? My Google Maps performs perfectly on my 3 year old device. Also, how would you like a new charger cable since Apple now installed the "Lightning" port on the new iPhone5? How they can get away with not employing a standard like the micro-USB port is a mystery to me, until I realize iPhone/Pad/Pod lovers will buy anything Apple tells them to. Oh, and since the docking port has changed, you need to purchase an adapter to retrofit your new phone to the 30-pin ports on older devices, such as table top stereo/alarm clock/car port. Apple laughs at your asses all the way to the bank.

pphilfran
9/24/2012, 12:40 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/thank-you-for-making-the-iphone-5-2012-9?utm_source=0924&utm_medium=aol&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=partner

Yes, hundreds of thousands of people line up for Foxconn jobs. And, yes, these jobs are said to be better than working in rice paddies.

But here's a taste of what it's like:

We have reached the entrance of the production floor with a warning sign that says: “TOP SECURITY AREA”. We are told that if anyone enter or exit the metal detector door and found carrying any metallic stuff on your body such as belt buckle, ear rings, cameras, handset, mp3 players, the alarm will sound and you will be fired on the spot. One of my room mate told me that his friend has been fired because he carried an USB charging cable. When I walked into the production floor after passing through the metal detector door, I heard loud sounds of machinery engines and a very dense of plastic smell. Our supervisor warned us: “Once you sit down, you only do what you are told”. The supervisor finally present us the back of the iPhone 5 and shows it to all of us and said: “This is the new unleashed iPhone 5 back plate, you should be honored having the chance to produce it”

Our line is being assigned to use masking tapes and plastic stoppers to cover up the earphone jack and the connector ports of the back plate in order to prevent the paint from being sprayed onto it on the next process. Our supervisor asked us to put on our mask and gloves and see how the seniors work on it. At 11 p.m, we went for a supper and after midnight, we started work again. I’m being assigned to mark placement points on the iPhone 5 back-plate using an oil-based paint pen. I’m being scolded many times for spilling too much oil on the markings. My roommate has being assigned to paste the masking tapes of not more than 5mm wide on the right spots that I have marked. And he has being scolded many times for pasting them too slow. Our supervisor said that these works were actually being assigned to females workers with nimber fingers, but due to too many workers have resigned lately they have no choice but to assign these jobs to male workers.

An iPhone 5 back-plate run through in front of me almost every 3 seconds. I have to pickup the back-plate and marked 4 position points using the oil-based paint pen and put it back on the running belt swiftly within 3 seconds with no errors. After such repeat action for several hours, I have terrible neckache and muscle pain on my arm. A new worker who sat opposite of me gone exhausted and laid down for a short while. The supervisor has noticed him and punished him by asking him to stand at one corner for 10 minutes like the old school days. We worked non-stop from midnight to the next morning 6 a.m but were still asked to keep on working as the production line is based on running belt and no one is allowed to stop. I’m so starving and fully exhausted.

By my own calculations, I have to mark five iPhone plates every minute, at least. For every 10 hours, I have to accomplish 3,000 iPhone 5 back plates. There are total 4 production lines in charge of this process, 12 workers in every line. Each line can produce 36,000 iPhone 5 back plates in half a day, this is scary … I finally stopped working at 7 a.m. We were asked to gather again after work. The supervisor shout out loud in front of us: “Who wants to rest early at 5 a.m !? We are all here to earn money ! Let’s work harder !” I was thinking who on earth wants to work two extra hours overtime for only mere 27 yuan (USD$4) !?

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/thank-you-for-making-the-iphone-5-2012-9#ixzz27PTn2LE0

Ike
9/25/2012, 03:51 PM
My curvy iphone finally bit the dust this past weekend. Since the 5 is out now, I was able to score a cheap 4S. I like it.

badger
9/26/2012, 09:31 AM
Full insider story on the Foxconn here. (http://micgadget.com/29723/the-undercover-report-on-how-the-new-iphone-5-is-made-inside-foxconn-factory/)

Midtowner
9/26/2012, 09:47 AM
I took delivery of my iPhone 5 last Friday. The ringer on/off switch was broken, so I took delivery of a replacement phone today. What I really like about Apple, and what I think sets it apart from Android is the O.S. Sure it's a closed system, but the variety of apps is every bit as good or better than what you can get on Android. That said, the form, look and functionality of the iOS is better than anything offered by Samsung. My iPhone 4 had a defective microphone, so it was in the shop for about a week. During that time, I had a Galaxy sgII. It was a decent phone, LTE blew my iPhone 4 away, but the OS was just clunky and unpolished compared to what I'm used to. As far as the sgIII, I think it's too big. I carry my phone in my pocket. I suppose if I had a purse or was one of those nerds who used a belt clip, I might feel differently.

8timechamps
9/26/2012, 04:03 PM
I took delivery of my iPhone 5 last Friday. The ringer on/off switch was broken, so I took delivery of a replacement phone today. What I really like about Apple, and what I think sets it apart from Android is the O.S. Sure it's a closed system, but the variety of apps is every bit as good or better than what you can get on Android. That said, the form, look and functionality of the iOS is better than anything offered by Samsung. My iPhone 4 had a defective microphone, so it was in the shop for about a week. During that time, I had a Galaxy sgII. It was a decent phone, LTE blew my iPhone 4 away, but the OS was just clunky and unpolished compared to what I'm used to. As far as the sgIII, I think it's too big. I carry my phone in my pocket. I suppose if I had a purse or was one of those nerds who used a belt clip, I might feel differently.

I know Apple had a significantly larger selection of apps at one point, don't know if that's still the case or not. I did check out the iPhone 5, and the one thing I like about it better than the Galaxy SII is that it's heavier (maybe not heavier, but felt more solid). However, what really disappointed me is the size. I have big hands, and transitioning to a touch screen was kind of a pain (coming from a Blackberry). I need a little bigger phone, so it's going to be the SGIII for me. I got my oldest son the iPhone 4S, and discovered the size difference. I was hoping the 5 would be bigger, but it's really just a bigger screen.

Mississippi Sooner
9/26/2012, 04:24 PM
Yes, the SGIII is big, but that's one of the things I like about it. It's almost like a mini-tablet. I carry my phone in my pocket, but that doesn't present a problem. I guess I just have big pockets. I refuse to do the belt clip thing.

bluedogok
9/26/2012, 10:14 PM
I really don't want one bigger than the iPhone 5 or my HTC Droid Incredible, since I carry the phone around in my pocket I don't really want one bigger one. A co-worker has an SGIII and that thing feels like a mini-tablet, nice phone but not what I want.

My iPhone 5 arrived yesterday, everything seems to be working fine.

StoopTroup
9/27/2012, 12:34 PM
We have two iPhones a HTC Wildfire and a SIII now. I like them all for very different reasons. They all have cool stuff. It will be really cool when the Cell Phone industry grows up a little and we all can enjoy not being jerked by a choke chain by our providers.

cleller
9/27/2012, 06:39 PM
Good commercial. The bit about the young guy holding a place in line for his greying, Starbucks equipped yuppie parents is great. I'm not excited by phones.

I feel like a pioneer; going out into the big wide world without a pocketful of games, videos, and assorted pacifiers.

GottaHavePride
9/28/2012, 10:17 PM
I had a droid. I liked it, but it was finicky. I had to do a lot of maintenance work, closing out processes with a task manager, regularly clearing out my cache of text messages, regularly turning the phone off and rebooting it to make sure it ran without hanging up...

I switched to a 4S. Sure, it's not as customizable as a droid, but it just flat works. No questions.

Don't like Apple maps? Maps.google.com hasn't moved, and it will work until google rolls out their own app.