PDA

View Full Version : Your Local Football HS Team...

StoopTroup
9/21/2012, 11:31 AM
How are they doing this year?

Ours has been moved from 5A to 6A this year and last night it became apparent that it might be sometime before Tulsa Edison is prepared to play a Jenks or Union Team.

Last Night...

Jenks 82

Tulsa Edison 7

Looks like Bob will be checking out a few of Jenks Players as they prepare to possibly play in a Div 1A College. Although they don't look like some of the Jenks Teams of old where they are on their 6th or 7th attempt at a State Championship, they are a very good HS Team and there seems to be a Coach for every three players on the team. They are a very good HS football team. Edison had some moments where the Defense stopped them but there were missed tackles and Jenks Players bouncing off Edison Defenders all night. Even when Edison seemed to play their best...the Jenks Players just seems to be one or two steps or moves ahead of our Kids and able to find a way into the EZ all night.

As the Edison Players left the field at games end it was obvious they were upset with the results but they never gave up and in the 4th quarter they avoided the shutout and as someone that has been to 3 of their games so far this year....they are getting better each and every time they play one of the 6A Monsters that have been picked to win State nearly every year since I can't remember. They will get used to playing in 6A and one day they are going to have a very good Team. Good Things seem to be happening again at the School but the Football Team continues to put their pads on and fight through this new arrival that is 6A Oklahoma High School Football.

SoonerLaw09
9/21/2012, 11:41 AM
I went to Jenks. Soooo....there's your answer. :)

Soonerjeepman
9/21/2012, 11:47 AM
SM North in metro Kansas City (Ks side) is 6A and horrible...haven't had a winning season in 6 - 7 yrs I think.

my son plays baseball though...V beat SM East in regional though!!! (George Brett's kids go to East) and my son even struck out GB's youngest 2 times this yr in a JV game..lol his claim to fame.

C&CDean
9/21/2012, 11:55 AM
The Palo Verde Titans are ranked 11,646 nationally, and 148th in the state of Arizona. They've been outscored 157-31 so far this year - getting shut out 69-0 by Sabino, and 39-0 by Santa Rita over their past two games.

Pricetag
9/21/2012, 12:06 PM
I went to Broken Arrow. They're 1-2, with a win over Owasso on the road, a loss to Bentonville, AR, at home, and then a loss at Union last week.

I think it's taken the quarterback who transferred in from Owasso a little longer than people were thinking to come up to speed, and our stud running back doesn't seem to have played much this year. The back up, Cameron Wrenn, is pretty dang good, though.

Neither loss was embarrassing, but I don't think this squad is as good as the one who should have won state last year.

SoonerLaw09
9/21/2012, 12:27 PM
BA's pretty dang good Price. I fear you guys as much as Onion.

Mississippi Sooner
9/21/2012, 12:55 PM
I went to one of about 22 schools in the state of Oklahoma that has never had a football team. Byng High School. Yeah, Ada High has something like 20 football championships, but we never gave a **** about those dorks from the inner city. We did kick a lot of butt in baseball and girls basketball, though.

Jack T.
9/21/2012, 12:59 PM
3-0 baby. . .first time ever we've been 3-0. Heck, it might be the first time we've ever WON 3 games in a season! 8 man, and we've only been playing for about 4 years.

OUTrumpet
9/21/2012, 01:11 PM
I coach at a school that is currently 3-0, top of our state, and has beaten down some out of state competition :)

badger
9/21/2012, 02:02 PM
I went to a rural Wisconsin high school that, since my graduation, had to join up with another local school due to low participation (losing isn't a fun sport to participate in). I really have no idea how they are doing. The mascot? Tigers + Mustangs = Thundercatz. Yes, with a Z.

Soonerjeepman
9/21/2012, 02:33 PM
I coached hs basketball...both girls and boys and basically my motto was "can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****". Hate to say that about HS kids playing a game but it really is true. If you don't have the size, talent, etc these days you're not going to be very successful (W/L). In KC you have $$ public schools and schools in the same league/district that don't have $$ just lends itself to disparity.

StoopTroup
9/21/2012, 02:53 PM
Edison isn't really all that much of a poor School. I mean...I went to Cascia Hall. So did one of my brothers. My youngest Brother went to Edison along with my Sister.

Cascia was an independent when I went there but now they have a pretty good Football Team. They aren't in 6A with Jenks and Union but they are much better than when my Coach, Angelo Prassa went to Bishop Kelly and helped turn their program around.

Expecting 5A Teams like Bishop Kelly to play a Jenk or Union is probably going to end up just like Edison did last night. Given time and maybe money...things might change. Jenks isn't the Jenks I knew growing up. Now lots of the land out there has been chopped up and the education there...it's no Holland Hall.

StoopTroup
9/21/2012, 02:56 PM
I was just trying to see who is following HS Football in Oklahoma not trying to have some who's dick is bigger conversation. Take it wherever you want though.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/21/2012, 02:56 PM
I went to a rural Wisconsin high school that, since my graduation, had to join up with another local school due to low participation (losing isn't a fun sport to participate in). I really have no idea how they are doing. The mascot? Tigers + Mustangs = Thundercatz. Yes, with a Z.

I just got back from doing some work in Wisconsin. A bear ran out in front of me on the highway. Rural is definitely accurate up there.

StoopTroup
9/21/2012, 03:00 PM
3-0 baby. . .first time ever we've been 3-0. Heck, it might be the first time we've ever WON 3 games in a season! 8 man, and we've only been playing for about 4 years.

Nice. Good Luck the rest of the way. I never played 8 man. Even street pick up games on the AMOCO Property here in Tulsa that OU/Tulsa now sits on had two 11 man teams going at it without pads. Good times.

zeke
9/21/2012, 03:28 PM
I follow Okla HS football. Going to a game tonight.

StoopTroup
9/21/2012, 03:39 PM
I follow Okla HS football. Going to a game tonight.

If you have a few moments once it's over, post or blog a little bit about the game. I think it would be cool to have some threads about the local teams that each of us are passionate about. I haven't really had kids old enough that could get involved with their Schools Programs. I really missed it as I have great memories of it when I was a kid.

TIA if you can contribute.

ST

PS: if you aren't here in Oklahoma post about your States Program. Unless its Fexas. We don't need any of that. ;)

Mississippi Sooner
9/21/2012, 03:52 PM
Back when my brother and I were bachelors, if we didn't have something more important going on, our Friday night tradition was to grab a copy of the Oklahoman and see what high school games were taking place within a 60-80 mile radius of us. Then, we'd grab a few beers and set out on the back roads from one little town to another. If a game was interesting, we'd stay a while. If it was a blowout, we'd figure out another one to go check out. We'd usually only make two games in an evening, but I remember a few times when we'd make three. It was a simple little thing, but it was fun. Once in a while we'd see a great game or a great player, too.

BudSooner
9/21/2012, 04:00 PM
Meh, in 5A-3 Hale is a stagnant, festering, pus filled, rotten 1-2.

But I don't wish to sound negative about it.

Widescreen
9/21/2012, 04:16 PM
Allen (TX) High School currently ranked #22 in the nation by USA Today. Must be that awesome new $60 million stadium. :rolleyes:

sooner n houston
9/21/2012, 05:19 PM
Tulsa Webster - 0 and 3. They have scored 7 points in 3 games! They have given up 81 points! Ouch.

okiewaker
9/21/2012, 05:22 PM
Norman North High School where my son attends are 2-1 and plays Midwest City tonight.

PLaw
9/21/2012, 07:53 PM
Back when my brother and I were bachelors, if we didn't have something more important going on, our Friday night tradition was to grab a copy of the Oklahoman and see what high school games were taking place within a 60-80 mile radius of us. Then, we'd grab a few beers and set out on the back roads from one little town to another. If a game was interesting, we'd stay a while. If it was a blowout, we'd figure out another one to go check out. We'd usually only make two games in an evening, but I remember a few times when we'd make three. It was a simple little thing, but it was fun. Once in a while we'd see a great game or a great player, too.

I've heard of pub crawls, but this takes it to a whole new level.

Cool.

Boomer

8timechamps
9/21/2012, 08:16 PM
My alma mater (John Marshall - OKC) is not good. We weren't good when I was there, but we were 5A. Now, they are 3A and I think are 0-3 this year. I did see recently that an anonymous alum had donated a ton of money and they are going to build a new stadium.

bluedogok
9/21/2012, 10:23 PM
PC West finally broke their losing streak (going on two years) with the first game of the season against Western Heights but have since returned to the loss column consistently. It is a much different school than when I went there and we won the last big school 4A championship (1981) against Tulsa McLain at Tulsa Memorial stadium. My wife's high school (Monahans, Texas) made it to the state 3A (not sure which division) semifinals last season. We live close to Cherry Creek HS (the largest in the state of Colorado) and have talked about going to some games this season.

goingoneight
9/21/2012, 10:41 PM
I went to Broken Arrow. The Virginia Tech of Oklahoma HS football. :D

8timechamps
9/21/2012, 11:04 PM
PC West finally broke their losing streak (going on two years) with the first game of the season against Western Heights but have since returned to the loss column consistently. It is a much different school than when I went there and we won the last big school 4A championship (1981) against Tulsa McLain at Tulsa Memorial stadium. My wife's high school (Monahans, Texas) made it to the state 3A (not sure which division) semifinals last season. We live close to Cherry Creek HS (the largest in the state of Colorado) and have talked about going to some games this season.

Not sure where it is this year, but if you and your wife decide to catch a game, try to make the Mullen/Creek game. Always a good game.

bluedogok
9/21/2012, 11:12 PM
Not sure where it is this year, but if you and your wife decide to catch a game, try to make the Mullen/Creek game. Always a good game.
Made all the more interesting with the coaching change that happened with them.

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 12:25 AM
Fon the bright side, Union got beat by Owasso tonight.

Oln the dark side, my alma mater has to play Owasso next Friday.

Ponca City is in transition this year with a new coach. But sucked before and not doing well this year.

Lost every game so far this year!!! But they have some talent coming up if they can keep this new coach, they should be respectable once again.

StoopTroup
9/22/2012, 12:53 AM

Ponca City is in transition this year with a new coach. But sucked before and not doing well this year.

Lost every game so far this year!!! But they have some talent coming up if they can keep this new coach, they should be respectable once again.

I'm sure my Brothers are happy tonight. They no likey Union or Jenks. Both long time Wasso Fans. Thanks for the update.

StoopTroup
9/22/2012, 12:55 AM
I went to Broken Arrow. The Virginia Tech of Oklahoma HS football. :D

I lived out there when I was younger. When I moved in it was Summer. I didn't know the BA Band practiced behind the House in the field behind us.

Some mornings it was brutal to listen to it. :D

StoopTroup
9/22/2012, 12:58 AM
Meh, in 5A-3 Hale is a stagnant, festering, pus filled, rotten 1-2.

But I don't wish to sound negative about it.

I remember the days of the HALE MARCHING 100!

I think I saw a couple of drums and maybe two horns in the stands when we played them. My things have changed.

sooneron
9/22/2012, 06:30 AM
I have no idea how the NHS Tigers are doing.

Edit: 2-1

ccmike9
9/22/2012, 06:43 AM
Detroit Catholic Central, Michigan. 2-2

Although we are a perennial powerhouse in the Great Lakes state, we've played two games against top Ohio teams (Toledo Whitmer and Cinci Archbishop Moeller). Ohio Football > Michigan Football by a large margin, as we are one of the top programs in the state, if not the very top the last 25 years.

Ruf/Nek7
9/22/2012, 06:57 AM
I recently moved to Killeen, TX where I coach and teach at the middle school level. Our high school, Harker Heights HS was set to be a playoff team but in their first game, they lost their top OL (texass commit) Darius James to a broken foot. That is both good and bad. I feel bad for the kid and it hurt HH but texass will ultimately lose the kid to the injury. 300 lb linemen have a hard time from recovering from a foot injury.

The very next play, HH loses their top RB who as a 2014 recruit,has already received offers from smu, rice, baylor, and miss st. If only it stopped there. HH would also lose their top OLB, who is also a texass commit Naashon Hughes. Hughes is set to return next Friday but man we have taken some beatings because of all the injuries.

That's football!

WA. Sooner
9/22/2012, 07:01 AM
Hows Tulsa East Central?

bluedogok
9/22/2012, 11:07 AM
I looked at the schedule and they don't play each other this year.

PC West lost to Choctaw last night (38-20), so they are now 1-3.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2012, 11:55 AM
Norman High spanked someone last night, scoring 53 points. Whoever it was that I can't remember was ranked 9th, if that means anything.

The Tigers' only loss is to North in a crazy first game.

Jenks and Union should be 7A.

The OSSSA is as messed up as the BCS.

SoonerBread
9/22/2012, 01:52 PM
Norman High spanked someone last night, scoring 53 points. Whoever it was that I can't remember was ranked 9th, if that means anything.

Just play each other every week?

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 02:19 PM

What they need to do is somehow figure out a way to curb the recruiting of players.

But then again, when you have a ton of players to choose from, you usually will be able to field a decent team.

King Crimson
9/22/2012, 02:26 PM
another Norman High (real high school) grad.

North is just Longfellow tricked up.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2012, 02:27 PM
Because of the loose rules and Eaststate control of big boy football, there are players playing for those High Schools that live in Bartlesville. Even TX does not allow this.

They're single HS enrollment typically keeps these schools with 3x the students than the typical Westside district.

I take back what I said earlier. Those schools should be 8A.

SoonerBread
9/22/2012, 02:59 PM
Because of the loose rules and Eaststate control of big boy football, there are players playing for those High Schools that live in Bartlesville. Even TX does not allow this.

They're single HS enrollment typically keeps these schools with 3x the students than the typical Westside district.

I take back what I said earlier. Those schools should be 8A.

Prove it.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2012, 03:17 PM
Prove it.

I heard an interview on KREF a few weeks ago, where Dusty and Teddy interviewed their friend, the head coach of Bartlesville High. In the interview, the coach stated that several players in the Bartlesville system, attended 8th grade at Jenks in order to be able to play HS ball there. The OSSSA rule states that where you attend 8th grade can be where you can go to HS, regardless of your home address. The point he was making was that he had good players coming up through his own system, but he can't get his program to the next level because they leave B'ville to play at Jenks or Union.

Is that proof? Probably not, but I don't believe dude was lying.

GDC
9/22/2012, 06:27 PM
Tahlequah sucks, as usual.

Sequoyah is good but in trouble with the OSSAA.

I don't pay attention to Hulbert, Keys and Ft. Gibson but Sallisaw is having a good season.

SoonerPride93
9/22/2012, 06:34 PM

Born and raised in PC. I remember being a little kid watching Josh Johnson, Nimmo, Justin Rowland, and Bubba Parker destroy teams

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2012, 06:40 PM
Born and raised in PC. I remember being a little kid watching Josh Johnson, Nimmo, Justin Rowland, and Bubba Parker destroy teams

Dang boy, you a youngen!

I was already in a career by then. Was on the team that set that foundation.

soonerfan69
9/22/2012, 08:22 PM
Bartlesville 3-1

http://www.newson6.com/category/217199/high-school-football-team?!10344!Bartlesville

GDC
9/22/2012, 10:46 PM
I heard something about them letting Tulsa Public Schools pool all their players to field a single team that could compete with Jenks, Union, etc.

MichiganSooner
9/22/2012, 10:46 PM
Bartlesville down to Enid by 12 with 2 minutes to go. Scored TD; then onside kick and recovered. Drove to 7 yd line; called timeout. Then 7 yd TD pass to win game on the final second of the game. (I left with 2 minutes to go in the game).

As far as Edison losing to Jenks; the excuse that they are 6A is just an excuse. They just don't have enough players at all the positions. At each game there is one winner and one loser-always. Last year, Edison was 6A in basketball. An outstanding team; truly great season and long run in the state tournament. Last year, Edison had the basketball players; by comparison, Jenks did not. Should Jenks have played 5A baskeball last season?

MichiganSooner
9/22/2012, 10:53 PM
The Midland High Chemics of Michigan, defeated Mt. Pleasant 41-34. Midland moved into sole possession of first place in the Saginaw Valley League North Division and is undefeated and ranked #3 in Michigan Class A. Class A is comparable to Texas 5A; Oklahoma 6A; there are 180 teams in Class A. The win also ensured Midland High of its 36th consecutive winning season; the all time state record is 39.

soonerfan69
9/22/2012, 11:00 PM
Bartlesville down to Enid by 12 with 2 minutes to go. Scored TD; then onside kick and recovered. Drove to 7 yd line; called timeout. Then 7 yd TD pass to win game on the final second of the game. (I left with 2 minutes to go in the game).

As far as Edison losing to Jenks; the excuse that they are 6A is just an excuse. They just don't have enough players at all the positions. At each game there is one winner and one loser-always. Last year, Edison was 6A in basketball. An outstanding team; truly great season and long run in the state tournament. Last year, Edison had the basketball players; by comparison, Jenks did not. Should Jenks have played 5A baskeball last season?

It was an awesome game for sure