PDA

View Full Version : Here in Iowa, F-16s

rock on sooner
9/20/2012, 07:43 PM
are on a training mission for the next few days. Low flying, day and night,
USA's finest hard at work, and some in gov't want to just shut it down. Need
a STRONG, READY military, all branches. Dems and Pubs need to get their act
together and fix all this butt draggin' gridlock stuff and get on about the people's
business, instead of all the party posturing. So damned tired of it all....

diverdog
9/20/2012, 08:02 PM
Do they want to shut it down for environmental reasons or noise reasons? You would not believe all the convoluted rules we have to fly into AF bases. I swear to god you b*tch loud enough the military will adjust the flight pattern for your house. On final approach on it was literally a zig zag to get to the base.

rock on sooner
9/20/2012, 09:22 PM
Do they want to shut it down for environmental reasons or noise reasons? You would not believe all the convoluted rules we have to fly into AF bases. I swear to god you b*tch loud enough the military will adjust the flight pattern for your house. On final approach on it was literally a zig zag to get to the base.

Nah, DD, the bitch is that it costs too much money to keep in placel
This outfit has the highest efficiency rating of any guard outfit in the
country. One of the few times in this state that the Dems and Pubs
agree on any thing. Pub gov, Grumpy old man Grassley, almost as
old Dem Harkin, Tea Party lover King, Not doing much Bosley. loser
Latham all have told Panetta to not mess with what works. Believe
it or not, it'll prolly work.

The guard just came out on Friday with a civilian warning about the
noise and the maneuvers...low altitude, noisier that commercial air-
liners, active training runs. Just heard one a few minutes ago go
over..my thought was...sure glad they're there..

diverdog
9/20/2012, 09:35 PM
Nah, DD, the bitch is that it costs too much money to keep in placel
This outfit has the highest efficiency rating of any guard outfit in the
country. One of the few times in this state that the Dems and Pubs
agree on any thing. Pub gov, Grumpy old man Grassley, almost as
old Dem Harkin, Tea Party lover King, Not doing much Bosley. loser
Latham all have told Panetta to not mess with what works. Believe
it or not, it'll prolly work.

The guard just came out on Friday with a civilian warning about the
noise and the maneuvers...low altitude, noisier that commercial air-
liners, active training runs. Just heard one a few minutes ago go
over..my thought was...sure glad they're there..

The Guard and Reserve aircrews are as proficient as activity units. We get a big bang for our buck with these part time warriors. When I was in the Reserves our pilots were better than their active duty counterparts. Many of them had flown in Nam where as the active duty guys were fresh out of flight school.

rock on sooner
9/20/2012, 09:40 PM
The Guard and Reserve aircrews are as proficient as activity units. We get a big bang for our buck with these part time warriors. When I was in the Reserves our pilots were better than their active duty counterparts. Many of them had flown in Nam where as the active duty guys were fresh out of flight school.

Our IA guys have rotated in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan, along with
several support squadrons and have sterling ratings. Just doesn't compute
for a few bucks to shut 'em down, especially when they are the top performers!
So many other areas to save money...

diverdog
9/20/2012, 09:56 PM
Our IA guys have rotated in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan, along with
several support squadrons and have sterling ratings. Just doesn't compute
for a few bucks to shut 'em down, especially when they are the top performers!
So many other areas to save money...

If you are going to dump Guard units I would look at some of the Army or Navy units.

okie52
9/20/2012, 09:58 PM

A little aside...a few years ago my niece was dating a pilot from Vance AFB. He was in the reserves and about to get out. He led the flyover at hawkeye stadium that was way too low...probably can still see it on you tube.

Don't remember what discipline he got.

diverdog
9/20/2012, 10:23 PM
A little aside...a few years ago my niece was dating a pilot from Vance AFB. He was in the reserves and about to get out. He led the flyover at hawkeye stadium that was way too low...probably can still see it on you tube.

In the Navy they pin a medal on you for pulling that chit. Their aviators are studs. No two ways about it.

K7rAUu8djZ4

PLPC-4Mj3N8

C&CDean
9/21/2012, 08:59 AM
pfffft. The USAF Thunderbirds pwn the Angels. The F-16 > F-18.

Turd_Ferguson
9/21/2012, 09:08 AM
In the Navy they pin a medal on you for pulling that chit. Their aviators are studs. No two ways about it.That was freak'n awsome!!!

okie52
9/21/2012, 09:22 AM
In the Navy they pin a medal on you for pulling that chit. Their aviators are studs. No two ways about it.

MN-pX4KtpLA

More about the flyover and the pilot:

Maj. Kopacek to lead flyby

November 14, 2010 8:05 pm(2) Comments

Major Christopher Kopacek
Enlarge Photo
IOWA CITY - Maj. Christopher Kopacek, a distinguished F16 fighter pilot in the U.S. Air Force, will lead a flyby at the Iowa-Ohio State football game Saturday, Nov. 20, in Iowa City.

He is the son of Vince and Jan Kopacek, and Lois Harms, all of Ankeny. Both Vince and Lois are graduates of Britt High School in Britt. Maj. Kopacek is the grandson of the late Vince Sr., and Rose Kopacek of Britt.

The flyby in Iowa City, will be the last official flight of Maj. Kopacek's active Air Force career, before he retires the following week. He was selected by his squadron commander at Vance Air Force Base, Enid, Okla., to lead eight nationally televised flybys.

Vince Kopacek said he's been trying to get tickets to the game in Iowa City, and is hoping he'll get to see his son lead the flyby. He added, "I'm proud of him."

Maj. Kopacek was class valedictorian at Ankeny High School in 1994, and graduated with distinction from the Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo., in 1999, where he also played football and rugby.

He completed the F-16 training course at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., 2001-02, and was a member of he 51st Fighter Wing, at Osan Air Base, Republic of South Korea. 2002-03. Maj. Kopacek served with the 52nd Flying Wing, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, from 2003-06, where he was named "Top Fighter Pilot," in 2006. Since 2006 he has been a member of the 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance Air Force Base, Enid, Okla.

- By Rosann Boyle

Air Force: Pilot yields wings after low flyover
By Ryan J. Foley - The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Mar 23, 2011 15:14:39 EDT

IOWA CITY, Iowa — Air Force pilots who participated in a spectacular flyover before a University of Iowa football game were disciplined for flying much too low and too fast, and the flight leader — already planning to retire — is giving up his right to fly military aircraft, the Air Force said Wednesday.

The four Talon T-38 Trainer jets were at an altitude just 16 feet above the stadium’s press box when they wowed 70,000 fans inside Kinnick Stadium before Iowa hosted Ohio State on Nov. 20, the Air Force said.

The jets cleared the scoreboard by 58 feet, and their altitude of 176 feet above ground level was far lower than the 1,000-foot minimum elevation required for flights above a populated area such as a stadium, the Air Force investigation concluded. The jets also approached speeds of 400 knots, above the limit of 300, during both the flyover and practice runs the day before, the investigation found.

Flight leader Maj. Christopher Kopacek violated not only speed and altitude rules, but failed to document and report to superiors altitude and speed deviations from the flight plan, and made a false statement during the investigation, the Air Force said.

Leaders of Vance Air Force Base, Okla., called for the investigation days after the game as video of the flyover started circulating on the Internet. Spectators said they were amazed by the jets’ speed and precision and how close they came to the top of the stadium. Fans erupted in cheers and later gave the pilots an ovation when they were introduced during the game.

MORE ON THE FLYOVER

• Air Force: Iowa game flyover was too low (Jan. 6)

• Review shows pilots were barely above 100 feet (Dec. 12, 2010)

• Air Force: Iowa flyover may have been too low (Dec. 3, 2010)

“While I understand that fans attending the game enjoyed the flyover, rules are in place to ensure everyone’s safety,” said Col. Russell Mack, commander of the 71st Flying Training Wing, which conducted the investigation. “We appreciate the opportunity to perform flyovers and thank the University of Iowa for the chance to showcase our abilities. However, this was a serious breach of flight discipline and it was necessary to take administrative action against all of the members involved.”

DISCUSS:

The flyover

Kopacek was punished under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and negotiated a legal agreement with the Air Force, said 1st Lt. Katie Roling, an Air Force spokeswoman. Under the deal, he agreed to request to give up his wings, forfeited two months of pay ($6,316), received an official reprimand and signed a waiver allowing the Air Force to discuss what happened.

In exchange, the Air Force agreed not to court-martial Kopacek and let him leave the service on his own accord, Roling said. Kopacek, an Ankeny native, was planning to leave the Air Force shortly after the flyover, and the investigation and discipline delayed his departure, which still is in the works, she said.

Roling said five other pilots — three who flew jets and two who acted as ground controllers — received administrative discipline for their roles in the flyover. She declined to detail the specific actions taken against T-38s pilots 1st Lt. Otto Gerdeman, Maj. Eric Yape and Maj. Kevin Cossey, citing privacy laws.

All six airmen, who were part of the 25th Flying Training Squadron, were grounded during the investigation. All except Kopacek were approved to return to flying status after it was concluded, she said.

“Major Kopacek got the harsher punishment due to the fact that he was the flight lead and carried that extra responsibility,” Roling said.

Reached through e-mail, Kopacek said he needed to consult with his attorney before he could grant an interview. But he added, “I would definitely like to refute much of the Air Force’s standard rhetoric that they throw out.”

Roling said the allegation of making a false statement against Kopacek was particularly damaging given the Air Force prides itself on integrity. She did not release what he was accused of lying about, but Kopacek told The Des Moines (Iowa) Register days after the flyover that he and the other pilots had clearance to fly at an altitude of 500 feet.

The investigation found Kopacek did not ask for and did not receive permission to deviate from either the speed or altitude restrictions governing the flight.

The Federal Aviation Administration’s gave Air Force investigators radar data that verified the jets’ speed and altitude during the flyover, FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said.

University of Iowa officials have said they requested the military flyover to honor veterans who attended the game, which Ohio State won 20-17. Asked whether that was a mistake, university spokesman Tom Moore said it would be inappropriate to comment on the incident.

Staff writer Jill Laster contributed to this report.

According to my niece he was the QB for Air Force in 1999. And the flyby was to be his last flight before he retired.

rock on sooner
9/21/2012, 09:22 AM

Got his knuckles rapped....

okie52
9/21/2012, 09:25 AM
Got his knuckles rapped....

What I can't believe was that it was going to be his last flight...as I guess it was anyway. Just had to get in a good one.

rock on sooner
9/21/2012, 09:47 AM
What I can't believe was that it was going to be his last flight...as I guess it was anyway. Just had to get in a good one.

Prolly has a big grin on his face at every Hawkeye home game...

C&CDean
9/21/2012, 10:07 AM

You've watched Top Gun one time too many I'm thinking.

Turd_Ferguson
9/21/2012, 10:17 AM
Negative Ghostrider...the pattern is full.

olevetonahill
9/21/2012, 10:19 AM
Negative Ghostrider...the pattern is full.

Then Im doing a straight in .

pphilfran
9/21/2012, 11:55 AM
They used to do practice bombing runs on the Ft Sill West Range....haven't seen em in a few years...

If you were at the refuge you could watch them do a sharp turn over public land and then dive down and unload the package and pull up steeply..round trip after round trip...it was impressive unless you were my close friend Mitch, who owned a two story home that they seemed to use as the turning point...he said it was fun to watch for a while but the weekly noise got old...

Living next to Sill has allowed me to see (and hear) a lot...they stopped me on the highway into the refuge one day and told me I was about to get a show...they then unloaded two racks of MLRS within a 100 yards of us, over the highway into the west part of the west range...it was impressive....

C&CDean
9/21/2012, 11:57 AM
They used to do practice bombing runs on the Ft Sill West Range....haven't seen em in a few years...

If you were at the refuge you could watch them do a sharp turn over public land and then dive down and unload the package and pull up steeply..round trip after round trip...it was impressive unless you were my close friend Mitch, who owned a two story home that they seemed to use as the turning point...he said it was fun to watch for a while but the weekly noise got old...

Living next to Sill has allowed me to see (and hear) a lot...they stopped me on the highway into the refuge one day and told me I was about to get a show...they then unloaded two racks of MLRS within a 100 yards of us, over the highway into the west part of the west range...it was impressive....

Good ol' Ft. Sill. Spent some cold days/nights out there on 105s, 155s and 8 inchers.

pphilfran
9/21/2012, 12:01 PM
Good ol' Ft. Sill. Spent some cold days/nights out there on 105s, 155s and 8 inchers.

They are looking for ya...they are out pounding away today and shaking my house...

diverdog
9/21/2012, 12:16 PM
Balls of steel:

VYa0bI98kWA

although not as much as these guys. friggin Brits

xuYmn_xYB78

You can hear the roar of the gun after the impact. I remember seeing a Warthog run in Red Flag. Would not want to be on the other end of that gun.

8timechamps
9/21/2012, 05:14 PM
pfffft. The USAF Thunderbirds pwn the Angels. The F-16 > F-18.

You talking about that cute little F16? That is a cute little guy.

F-18's are the man's plane. They can land on the water. Of course, I am very biased.

soonercruiser
9/24/2012, 10:26 PM
We had a Wing of F-16's my year in S. Korea.
The "Sound of Freedom" (as we called it) went on day and night.
You eventually learned to sleep through it.
And, many of them WERE ARMED to the teeth. They were real man's fighters!

Okie's Iowa football video seems to be little boys jets, F-5s or worst yet trainers,T-37s.
zzzzzzzz :02.47-tranquillity: