PDA

View Full Version : What is going on?

Always_Sooner
9/20/2012, 10:54 AM
Is this an off year when OU only has a few less scholarships to offer? I know every 4-5 years it seems they only have 16-18.

8timechamps
9/20/2012, 06:27 PM
We're about where we always are for this time of year. I am not sure on the scholarship count (maybe 75 can jump in and add some info about that). We've got a lot of offers out, but commitments always slow down once the season starts. We have a huge recruiting weekend this weekend (for KSU), check out the thread...something like 7 or 8 (maybe more) big recruits in town. There will be another big weekend when Notre Dame comes to Norman. So, it's possible we could see a commit or two after one of those games.

OU_Sooners75
9/20/2012, 08:48 PM
OU is not short in numbers that they can sign. In fact, my understanding id OU could sign a few extra this year and be ok.

Problem is the 2013 class doesn't really seem have a lot of talent where OU really needs it. And if the coaching staff is smart, they will not try to just plug in any ol recruit to fill the need. OU is looking at needing 7 OL this class. Will they get 7 quality ol? I highly doubt it. So they should get what they can when it comes to quality this class and leave the rest for what is shaping up to be a very deep recruiting class in 2014.

Sorry got off topic a little. The reason it seems like OU is down in numbers of recruits committed is because everyone else tries to fill up fast on the known juniors (now seniors) of the 2012-2013 class. What makes OU so decennt in recruiting is they have a no pressure approach.

They also tend to wait until the season is almost through to send out the bulk of their offers...among the lines and ends.

That is why it seems like the numbers are down. They are currently on track to fill their quota as they always are.

Another reason may be what type of players mike stoops wants. He is essentially starting over this class, so he got a late start.

2014 will be a fascinating class.

Scott D
9/20/2012, 09:08 PM
meh I'm paying attention to a kid in the 2014 class that hasn't gotten an offer from OU.

Always_Sooner
9/22/2012, 10:51 AM
@ 8 Time good stuff...

I think OU will close strong when it's all said and done.

Fraggle145
9/25/2012, 01:30 PM
I'd pay money for a heavier LB.

Curly Bill
9/25/2012, 02:19 PM
I'd pay money for a heavier LB.

How about one that can actually play?

Fraggle145
9/28/2012, 02:15 PM
At this point I'd just take heavier.

OU_Sooners75
9/28/2012, 04:28 PM
RfSo you all seriously think its the LB play?

Maybe if the defense knew how to wrap up instead of trying to shoulder tackle, they would look better.

That said, give Mike Stoops some time (another year) and he wiill be having bigger linebackers.

Just about all LBs that he and kish are heavily recruiting for 2013 & 2014 are at least 20 pound bigger than what BV was recruiting.

2013: Mastrogiovonni 6'3 225 pounds committed to OU
2013: Levenberry 6'2 226 pounds reopened to OU and visiting for the ND game.
2014: Maben 6'2 225. OU is in very good shape with this Junior.
2014: David 6'3 230. OU is in great shape with this Junior. Could be a early commit. But he isn't ready to decide just yet.

All four of these guys are strongly considering (or are committed) to OU.

They all are middle linebacker types. There are some guys OU are recruiting that are between 205-220 that are outside backer types for the next two classes as well.

So already, there are recruits that are really interested in OU that are bigger than what we went after under BV.

The size will be here!

Now if we can just get some dominant OL and DL!

Sabanball
9/29/2012, 02:34 PM
You guys need a stud rb and O-linemen in this class. Which leads me to the question, why hasn't Roy Finch developed faster? He was great talent in HS.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2012, 03:04 PM
We have a few stud running backs...plus Keith Ford coming in. And OU is now back in with Greg Bryant.

As far as Finch, if he would ever decide to do what it takes, he would be seeing more playing time.

OU needs more guards. They have just one so far that they are going after.

And this is my bitch about James Patton. The guy seemws like a very lazy recruiter for the positions he coaches.

StoopTroup
9/29/2012, 06:41 PM
We have a few stud running backs....

We do? Where were they against K-State?

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2012, 08:07 PM
We do? Where were they against K-State?

Damian Williams
Brennan Clay
Roy Finch

Then we have Alex Ross that is red shirting this year.

They didnt show up against KSU because our offensive play calling took them out of the game.

In fact, if you look at the plays called the first two quarters (you know the first half?)....

OU ran 16 run plays, 22 pass plays.

Total: OU ran 27 times, for 3.4 yards per carry (meaning every 3 rushes they averaged a 1st down). OU passed 43 times.

So OU passed twice to every one run. In one span of the game, OU passed the ball 10 straight times.

I know you think it is all players fault and ****, but OU, in case you didnt know, has some very good athletes at all positions.

Boomer.....
9/29/2012, 09:50 PM
I guess Whaley is chopped liver?

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2012, 10:25 PM
No, but he is done after this year.

Boomer.....
9/29/2012, 10:35 PM
Doh! Didn't realize we were talking about next year's RBs.

Sabanball
10/3/2012, 06:51 PM
Noticed you guys only have 11 VC's for this class. At this point, that seems a bit low. How many do you expect to sign overall in Feb?

8timechamps
10/4/2012, 12:42 PM
Noticed you guys only have 11 VC's for this class. At this point, that seems a bit low. How many do you expect to sign overall in Feb?

12 now. Really, we're about where we always are this time of year. As a fan of recruiting, it's always frustrating to sit and wait, but it is what it is. I don't know where we stand on available scholarships for 2013, but I'm thinking the number is somewhere around 20-22.