PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the SEC, Gary Pinkell!

Sabanball
9/20/2012, 10:28 AM
This originally was on the radio in St Louis yesterday but was being played all over SEC Land in the afternoon on wednesday. I actually think Pinkel is a decent football coach but he's got zero personality and better grow some thicker skin. Anyone that listens to Finebaum knows this was very tame compared to his usual comments about SEC coaches....

(Both audio clips are at the end of the link)

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/McKernan/tabid/61/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/9473/Pinkel-vs-Finebaum.aspx

badger
9/20/2012, 10:45 AM
Sabs, you seem like a reasonable SEC team fan, but you have to admit that you are among crazy company.

I'm sure you've heard a little about the mediocrity that is Gary Pinkel and Mizzou since you seem to follow college football nationally, just Bammally, but just in case, here goes:

Mizzou football
- 13-16 overall bowl record (including NO BCS bowls during the BCS era. They haven't been to a top tier bowl since losing the 1972 Fiesta Bowl)
- 15 conference championships (but NONE in the Big 12 and only one in the Big Eight. Their previous conference title was in 1969)
- Four national award winners (Stagg in 1964, Camp in 1978, Tatupu in 1997, Mackey in 2008)

Gary Pinkel at Mizzou:
- Three losing seasons
- No conference titles (but three divisional titles in the weak Big 12 North)
- A 4-4 postseason record (including no BCS bowls)

In a nutshell, Gary Pinkel and Mizzou are thoroughly mediocre and while they had a big state and big markets to drawn from, they squandered it and are perennial underachievers. There's no sleeping giant there, they are just sleeping, giant failures.

In a second nutshell, the SEC settled for less when they settled for Mizzou and we stole the team you guys really should have taken - West Virginia. At least you SEC schools will be able to have some mediocre tune-up games in-conference now instead of having to provide monster payouts for your annual cupcake non-conference foes :P

picasso
9/20/2012, 05:13 PM
Two in the Pinkel, one in the stinkle. That should be Saban's move instead of the short, power game.

PDXsooner
9/20/2012, 05:58 PM
When I think of SEC fans I certainly don't think of thick skin. I think of thin-skinned crazies who take their craziness to a disturbing level.

MountainOkie
9/20/2012, 06:07 PM
When I think of SEC fans I certainly don't think of thick skin. I think of thin-skinned crazies who take their craziness to a disturbing level.

Yeah, with what happened to the Toomer's Oaks being a prime example. Didn't that guy call into Finebaum's show?

cccasooner2
9/20/2012, 06:08 PM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/8/27/15/enhanced-buzz-18223-1346095810-10.jpg

goingoneight
9/20/2012, 08:47 PM
Mizzou was like having a Boise State in the BIG 12 North. Respectable? Only on game day. Accomplished powerhouse? Heh... uh-no.

OU_Sooners75
9/20/2012, 08:57 PM
Sabs, you seem like a reasonable SEC team fan, but you have to admit that you are among crazy company.

I'm sure you've heard a little about the mediocrity that is Gary Pinkel and Mizzou since you seem to follow college football nationally, just Bammally, but just in case, here goes:

Mizzou football
- 13-16 overall bowl record (including NO BCS bowls during the BCS era. They haven't been to a top tier bowl since losing the 1972 Fiesta Bowl)
- 15 conference championships (but NONE in the Big 12 and only one in the Big Eight. Their previous conference title was in 1969)
- Four national award winners (Stagg in 1964, Camp in 1978, Tatupu in 1997, Mackey in 2008)

Gary Pinkel at Mizzou:
- Three losing seasons

In a nutshell, Gary Pinkel and Mizzou are thoroughly mediocre and while they had a big state and big markets to drawn from, they squandered it and are perennial underachievers. There's no sleeping giant there, they are just sleeping, giant failures.

In a second nutshell, the SEC settled for less when they settled for Mizzou and we stole the team you guys really should have taken - West Virginia. At least you SEC schools will be able to have some mediocre tune-up games in-conference now instead of having to provide monster payouts for your annual cupcake non-conference foes :P

Badger, in 1972, the Fiesta Bowl wasn't exactly known as a top tier bowl.

BajaOklahoma
9/20/2012, 08:58 PM
Mizzery and the SEC deserve each other.

85sooners
9/20/2012, 09:39 PM
Phuck the sec hype it's just a couple of teams not a whole conference full of power houses

Sabanball
9/20/2012, 11:17 PM

Mizzou football

Gary Pinkel at Mizzou:
- Three losing seasons

No we didn't. We tried to get you guys way before we took mizzou. That's when David Boren went against 60% + of your fan base, using the bogus argument of academic standards as cover, and decided to stay put in the Big 12 so we were forced to look elsewhere. West Virginia would have been a GREAT addition and I personally wanted them and felt they were a good, cultural fit, more so than Missouri and even you guys, you'll get no argument from me on that--but they offer no big TV markets or eyeballs and thus don't enhance our ability to negotiate a bigger TV contract. Hence the decision to take Mizzou and the KC/ST Louis TV markets and provide a counterbalance to TAMU. We really didn't have much of a choice. Clemson and FSU were nonstarters due to the fact that existing SEC charter members with veto power would have prohibited their entry.

Anyway, what I thought was really funny about the interview was how Pinkel at first said 'no comment' and then proceeeded to talk for 5 mins. about it. Lol..

Speaking of West Virginny, I am really looking forward to your game in Morgantown--that game will probably decide who wins your conference and perhaps plays in the BCSCG.

8timechamps
9/21/2012, 05:01 PM
No we didn't. We tried to get you guys way before we took mizzou. That's when David Boren went against 60% + of your fan base, using the bogus argument of academic standards as cover, and decided to stay put in the Big 12 so we were forced to look elsewhere. West Virginia would have been a GREAT addition and I personally wanted them and felt they were a good, cultural fit, more so than Missouri and even you guys, you'll get no argument from me on that--but they offer no big TV markets or eyeballs and thus don't enhance our ability to negotiate a bigger TV contract. Hence the decision to take Mizzou and the KC/ST Louis TV markets and provide a counterbalance to TAMU. We really didn't have much of a choice. Clemson and FSU were nonstarters due to the fact that existing SEC charter members with veto power would have prohibited their entry.

Anyway, what I thought was really funny about the interview was how Pinkel at first said 'no comment' and then proceeeded to talk for 5 mins. about it. Lol..

Speaking of West Virginny, I am really looking forward to your game in Morgantown--that game will probably decide who wins your conference and perhaps plays in the BCSCG.

Actually, I kind of wish the Big XII had a version of Finebaum. It keeps things riled up between games and seasons. This weeks game against KSU is really pretty important in the conference race, and has some major national ranking implications...but it isn't getting near the attention of Michigan/ND nationally. I know that's a long time rivalry of sorts, but Michigan isn't going to be in the picture in the end, and ND is always over-hyped. They may be decent this year, but I think it's smoke and mirrors right now.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/22/2012, 04:47 PM
Finebaum's a typical sec blowhard. Hey finebaum, why couldn't that piggy qb man up and deliver a win over that Louisiana-Monroe powerhouse? Missouri though deserves to get laughed at by both conferences.