PDA

View Full Version : Words of wisdom

8timechamps
9/19/2012, 07:32 PM
We've all heard them, from our parent, grandparents, people we respect, etc.

There are a few that I try to remember daily, and they are all from my late grandfather. He was a stern man, who had been through a lot in life, and always had the right thing to say. Anyway, I thought I would pass along the few I refer to often. Share what words of wisdom you have picked up along the way.

1. What other people think of you is none of your business.

2 No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

3. (My favorite) What other people think of you is none of your business.

XingTheRubicon
9/19/2012, 07:46 PM
From my old man...he still says it

Ya know how to get everything you want in life?

Me- I dunno, what?

Do more than you're asked to do.

I say that to my kids and they look at me like I'm a space alien.

Turd_Ferguson
9/19/2012, 07:51 PM
From my ol man...Can't never could.

I say that to my kids and they look at me like I'm a dip ****.

olevetonahill
9/19/2012, 07:53 PM
From my old man...he still says it

Ya know how to get everything you want in life?

Me- I dunno, what?

Do more than you're asked to do.

I say that to my kids and they look at me like I'm a space alien.

Thot hw was gonna say Vote Dem.:pirate:

pphilfran
9/19/2012, 08:05 PM
"You get thrown in jail, don't expect me to bail you out."

And then...

"You get your name in the paper and they will know exactly who you are, your name ain't John Smith."

I have a rare last name...

Turd_Ferguson
9/19/2012, 08:28 PM
"You get thrown in jail, don't expect me to bail you out."

And then...

"You get your name in the paper and they will know exactly who you are, your name ain't John Smith."

I have a rare last name...Is it Philfran?

pphilfran
9/19/2012, 08:29 PM
Is it Philfran?

No, Turd

rock on sooner
9/19/2012, 08:30 PM
From my ol man...Can't never could.

I say that to my kids and they look at me like I'm a dip ****.

TF, here's one for ya, you ARE!

Turd_Ferguson
9/19/2012, 08:38 PM
No, TurdDammit!! Narflihp?

Tiptonsooner
9/19/2012, 08:58 PM
Mine is, "don't pet a burning dog"....

Turd_Ferguson
9/19/2012, 09:03 PM
Mine is, "don't pet a burning dog"....I was told, never pet a dog thats on fire...and, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

C&CDean
9/19/2012, 09:35 PM
My pop was kinda different. He said "don't tell a lie boy" and "be a man and pay your bills." I remember "if you're man enough to have a child then you better be man enough to raise it - cause I ain't gonna" Crazy **** like that.

Thanks Pop.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/19/2012, 11:20 PM
My dad didn't live long enough to give me manly advice, but I take to heart what Shirley McLaine once said:
"Always have a Plan B."

9/20/2012, 06:33 AM
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

olevetonahill
9/20/2012, 07:38 AM
Dont stick yer pecker in a knothole with out checkin fer wasps first

Breadburner
9/20/2012, 07:51 AM
Keep your head down and your mouth shut.....!!

Its too far from your heart to kill you son...!!!

sooner n houston
9/20/2012, 08:16 AM
When I had a cut/bruise/scrape anywhere on my body my dad: I've had worse places on my eyeball! :D

Breadburner
9/20/2012, 04:59 PM
If it F_cks,Fly's or Drives you're going to have trouble with it...!!!

XingTheRubicon
9/20/2012, 08:17 PM
If it F_cks,Fly's or Drives you're going to have trouble with it...!!!

The one I heard was...if it fu(ks, flies, or floats...rent it.

C&CDean
9/20/2012, 09:00 PM
The one I heard was...if it fu(ks, flies, or floats...rent it.

How about "never lend a ****ing hillbilly your metal detector?" Dang I gotta get that thing back to you.

Scott D
9/20/2012, 09:12 PM
"You may be too old to spank, but you're not too big for me to kick your ***"

XingTheRubicon
9/21/2012, 08:16 AM
How about "never lend a ****ing hillbilly your metal detector?" Dang I gotta get that thing back to you.

No worries, Dean. Might try to meet up Notre Dame weekend. If you're going, I'll get a hold of you that week.

Turd_Ferguson
9/21/2012, 09:02 AM
"You may be too old to spank, but you're not too big for me to kick your ***"LMAO!!! Ima use that one. Probably before the days over.

BigTip
9/21/2012, 12:29 PM
A life philosophy that I have used that I got from my high school basketball coach when I twisted my ankle and came out and he wanted me back in, "Just stuff it in your shoe boy, and get back out there!"

Sometimes you just have to.

SunnySooner
9/22/2012, 10:07 AM
When I had a cut/bruise/scrape anywhere on my body my dad: I've had worse places on my eyeball! :D

OMG!!! I thought only MY dad said that!!! Was yours a Marine? I always figured it was a Marine thing. That's hilarious, I've never heard anyone else say that, too funny.

Some of his other gems:

As he's rubbing his huge, calloused hand down my face, and then back up, smearing whatever I was eating from forehead to chin and back...
"I jumped over a log, and up popped a rabbit!"". Followed by much gruff chuckling. Every dang time. I still don't get it.

"I'm about to stomp a mudhole in you, boy!" That was for my brother, Daddy's Girl would never NEED a mudhole stomped on her person. :biggrin:

My dad rarely cursed around us, so he had all these great made-up "curse" words, like "Philaramickpackaloomer!!!". I have no clue. He was a Marine turned devout Christian, it wasn't always easy on him.

Ahh, the great thing about siblings, they're the only ones who know how truly crazy your parents are. :)

9/22/2012, 11:06 AM
Working on clunkers over the years with dad, he had many pseudo curse words as well. "Flatcheedoo" was my favorite. However, when he'd let 'er rip with S.O.B.s and GDs, on an engine repair that finally worked, he once gave me this gem...

"Some times it takes just the right words."

Sooner Tri
10/8/2012, 03:40 PM
One I heard my whole life, and have now told my own boys for nearly 20 years,

"There's never time to do it right, yet there's always time to do it over."

Wishboned
10/8/2012, 03:49 PM

My dad would say, "If I had that on my lip I wouldn't even stop whistling."

My favorite was from a guy named Bill. I was a telephone lineman, and he'd been with the phone company for almost 36 years. I was nervous about doing some things because I was afraid I was going to mess it up. He told me, "There's nothing you can screw up so bad, that somebody, somewhere can't fix it."

Tulsa_Fireman
10/8/2012, 04:23 PM
Don't eat yellow snow.

I did, and yeah, should've paid attention.

hawaii 5-0
10/8/2012, 04:28 PM
I was in a Gas/Grocery/Cafe in Calvin a coupla weeks ago and my bill was $18.06.

I said, "I might have 6 cents".

He said, "Might? Mite's on a chicken's azz."

5-0

8timechamps
10/8/2012, 05:47 PM
OMG!!! I thought only MY dad said that!!! Was yours a Marine? I always figured it was a Marine thing. That's hilarious, I've never heard anyone else say that, too funny.

Some of his other gems:

As he's rubbing his huge, calloused hand down my face, and then back up, smearing whatever I was eating from forehead to chin and back...
"I jumped over a log, and up popped a rabbit!"". Followed by much gruff chuckling. Every dang time. I still don't get it.

"I'm about to stomp a mudhole in you, boy!" That was for my brother, Daddy's Girl would never NEED a mudhole stomped on her person. :biggrin:

My dad rarely cursed around us, so he had all these great made-up "curse" words, like "Philaramickpackaloomer!!!". I have no clue. He was a Marine turned devout Christian, it wasn't always easy on him.

Ahh, the great thing about siblings, they're the only ones who know how truly crazy your parents are. :)

I served in the Marines, and never heard that saying. That probably doesn't help.

Remember though, your dad is STILL a Marine (you said he "was" Marine). He'll appreciate that.

8timechamps
10/8/2012, 05:50 PM
I don't know if this falls under "words of wisdom", but when I was in about 5th grade, a family from Pennsylvania moved next to us (in the Village, OKC). They had a son my age, and we became pretty good friends. His dad was old-school Philly, and his favorite thing to say was " F**k me a runnin' ". He would use it as a verb, adjective, you name it. Never knew what it really meant, but at 11 or 12 years old, I thought that was pretty funny.

MamaMia
10/8/2012, 07:44 PM
My mom always said "Pretty is and pretty does." :)

Daddys biggest saying was "Honesty is the best policy."

Grannys..."Those who help others, help the Lord."

Grandpa said "Theres nothing like a good days work." :D

Oh and I almost forgot Aunt Leonas. "Children should be seen and not heard. " What was that all about? :(

The grownps way of warning each other that a kid was in the room within earshot was to say "Little pictures have big ears."

MamaMia
10/8/2012, 08:27 PM
My mom was Italian. She would always get her sayings mixed up. After a while, we never said a word because all she would say was "Yes, that." :D

Some of her mixed up sayings were:
"Don't cross your bridges before they hatch."
"Don't throw stones at glass houses."
"Its not nice to be a starring person."
"A bird that sits on your hand is worth 2 sitting on a bush."
"If something is worth doing yourself, then just do it."

SoonerInFortSmith
10/8/2012, 09:37 PM
My Pawpaw always said, "Shut up. You'll scare the fish off."

Mom always says that dynamite comes in small packages. She has to say that though because she is only 4'11". But my favorite from her is always, "I'm so proud of you." I try to pass that one on to my kids as often as possible.

One4OU
10/9/2012, 07:13 AM
My sad said the following:

"If I tell you a chicken dips snuff you can look under his wing and find a can of skoal"

"If you dont use your head you might as well have to rear ends"

Even when Im dead you wouldnt even be able crawl over my grave"