PDA

View Full Version : Our 5 tomato plants didn't produce very well at all this year

MamaMia
9/19/2012, 12:58 PM
It was hardly worth the trouble. I've never had that kind of bad luck. Our neighbor poured Round Up along our fence on his side, where we had also planted our tomatoes. At the time, our tomato plants were about 2.5 to 3 feet tall already, but not producing yet. The blossoms all fell off though. The plants lived and kept growing, but we didn't have hardly any blossoms set after that. Maybe it was the weather.

rock on sooner
9/19/2012, 01:05 PM
It was hardly worth the trouble. I've never had that kind of bad luck. Our neighbor poured Round Up along our fence on his side, where we had also planted our tomatoes. At the time, our tomato plants were about 2.5 to 3 feet tall already, but not producing yet. The blossoms all fell off though. The plants lived and kept growing, but we didn't have hardly any blossoms set after that. Maybe it was the weather.

Consistent watering, even in the high heat, is critical. Here in Iowa, we had
the really high heat like most but I managed to keep mine watered and had
a good crop...both in cherry tomatoes and the big uns...

MamaMia
9/19/2012, 01:42 PM
Water wasn't the problem. The plants are still big and green but producing these little tough skinned tomatoes, about one every two days gets ripe enough to pick. They were watered every day, sometimes twice. We live on the corner so I think I'll move them back to the other side next year, away from any Round Up pourings. They did well there. I will need to extend that garden since I planted plants and flowers there though. All my gardens are bordered.

cleller
9/19/2012, 01:42 PM
Ours did great until the 110+ business hit. I think part of it was I enlarged the garden, and planted the tomatoes in the new part.

Once that heat wave hit, there was no use trying. Like trying to grow them in Death Valley.

MamaMia
9/19/2012, 01:57 PM
Ours did great until the 110+ business hit. I think part of it was I enlarged the garden, and planted the tomatoes in the new part.

Once that heat wave hit, there was no use trying. Like trying to grow them in Death Valley.That kind of heat prevents the blossoms from setting. I even tried that spray that is suppose to help set your blossoms but it didn't work. I did everything short of misting them with a fan hooked up to an extension cord, and don't think I wasn't tempted. :D

The vendors at the Farmers Market here in town had very few tomatoes this year, and they plant acres of them. I just don't think it was a good year for tomatoes in my county.

Fraggle145
9/19/2012, 02:49 PM
That kind of heat prevents the blossoms from setting. I even tried that spray that is suppose to help set your blossoms but it didn't work. I did everything short of misting them with a fan hooked up to an extension cord, and don't think I wasn't tempted. :D

The vendors at the Farmers Market here in town had very few tomatoes this year, and they plant acres of them. I just don't think it was a good year for tomatoes in my county.

The blossom spray stuff only really works when its getting cold at night. It doesnt fix blossom loss due to heat. At least thats what I've been told.

olevetonahill
9/19/2012, 03:46 PM
On the other hand My Okra did great
I got a lot of early Maters, then the heat hit and just a few after that, Since its cooled off They resumed blooming and Ive got a few green ones . Not sure if they will ripen before the Cold gets here tho

SanJoaquinSooner
9/19/2012, 04:03 PM
I had a great crop this year ... still producing smaller ones. But my neighbor didn't do the Round-Up poisoning nearby.

marfacowboy
9/19/2012, 04:26 PM
Bumper crop this year. Stay away from Roundup. That's about the worst thing you could have anywhere near your garden. I realize it was your neighbor, but I'd relocate my garden or go to containers. I've had great luck with growing tomatos in containers.
I've found a good compost system is perhaps the best thing you can have as a gardener. We put kitchen scraps in three aerated containers all fall and winter and rotate them. In the spring, when I'm preparing the garden, I spread it liberally throughout the beds. Any pH or other problems should be corrected. Just make sure no fat goes into the bins.

swardboy
9/19/2012, 04:39 PM
Lawn issue: Henbit ravaged my yard last fall and into the spring. Any GREAT ideas on how to treat for it....it's already rearing its ugly head in my yard.

StoopTroup
9/19/2012, 05:15 PM
Lawn issue: Henbit ravaged my yard last fall and into the spring. Any GREAT ideas on how to treat for it....it's already rearing its ugly head in my yard.

Quit mowing and start a bee hive?

cleller
9/19/2012, 05:24 PM

Get the pre-emergent stuff and put it out NOW.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=41&articleid=20090822_41_D2_Dewcov796095&allcom=1

One depressing note, I this article says you need to get it before it germinates in the fall. Can't hurt to try, it lists some products, too. That henbit is awful, but at least it burns out.

http://lee.ces.ncsu.edu/2012/08/fall-pre-emergent-weed-control/

marfacowboy
9/19/2012, 06:54 PM
It's non-native but a naturalized plant good for local pollinators. I let it grow, along with clover, and enjoy watching the bees.
Leave it alone and don't be fooled into creating a monoculture of non-native grasses that serve no purpose. Plus, the chemicals are devastating to amphibian populations.

diverdog
9/19/2012, 07:00 PM

Learn how to raise them in 5 gallon buckets. I switched to this method and I have tons of tomatoes.

You also need to learn how to trim your vines. All the growth is going into the vines and not the fruit.

olevetonahill
9/19/2012, 07:12 PM
Learn how to raise them in 5 gallon buckets. I switched to this method and I have tons of tomatoes.

You also need to learn how to trim your vines. All the growth is going into the vines and not the fruit.

May need to change the way we grow em here, But all my life it werked fine plantin em in the ground . These last few years with the Temp starting to go well over a 100 by mid june just aint doing em any good

Im thinkin Ill invest in a Mister next year
Or just say to hell with it and Buy what I want from the Farmers market

olevetonahill
9/19/2012, 09:41 PM
It's non-native but a naturalized plant good for local pollinators. I let it grow, along with clover, and enjoy watching the bees.
Leave it alone and don't be fooled into creating a monoculture of non-native grasses that serve no purpose. Plus, the chemicals are devastating to amphibian populations.

Like Ive said
pompous, know it all, condescending prick.

sooner n houston
9/20/2012, 08:29 AM
Maybe y'all need to use a different varity of tomato. The most successful kind down here, in Houston is Celebrity. They are adapted to higher heat.

olevetonahill
9/20/2012, 08:48 AM
Maybe y'all need to use a different varity of tomato. The most successful kind down here, in Houston is Celebrity. They are adapted to higher heat.

Sompuns gotta change thats for sure

Are those a Large Beefsteak type of Mater?

badger
9/20/2012, 12:29 PM
The hot, dry weather meant few tomatoes this summer. We got most of ours early-on, then the plants quit flowering and went into survival mode instead :(

marfacowboy
9/20/2012, 12:38 PM
Like Ive said
pompous, know it all, condescending prick.

I have a hard time seeing anything pompous or condescending in that post.
The science on this is pretty clear. I started wondering why we weren't seeing as many toads. They were quite numerous when I was a kid, back before the advent of companies like Trugreen. So, I did some investigation and found that these chemicals are causing deformities and other problems with frogs and toads, species which help keep the insect population in check and serve as a food source for snakes, which help keep the rodent population in check. Mess up one link in the chain, and you're liable to see increases in insects and mice.
Plus, they're dangerous to humans, especially children. They're endocrine disruptors. If you care about your kids and grandkids, you'll at least do the research. If you're one that thinks these chemical companies always tell the truth and their science is flawless, that's fine by me. Good luck.

olevetonahill
9/20/2012, 01:47 PM
I have a hard time seeing anything pompous or condescending in that post.
The science on this is pretty clear. I started wondering why we weren't seeing as many toads. They were quite numerous when I was a kid, back before the advent of companies like Trugreen. So, I did some investigation and found that these chemicals are causing deformities and other problems with frogs and toads, species which help keep the insect population in check and serve as a food source for snakes, which help keep the rodent population in check. Mess up one link in the chain, and you're liable to see increases in insects and mice.
Plus, they're dangerous to humans, especially children. They're endocrine disruptors. If you care about your kids and grandkids, you'll at least do the research. If you're one that thinks these chemical companies always tell the truth and their science is flawless, that's fine by me. Good luck.

My Gawd , Yer killin me

marfacowboy
9/20/2012, 02:15 PM
My Gawd , Yer killin me

You'll never agree with anything I write, so save yourself the trouble and just put me on your ignore list. All that gnashing of teeth and the fits of apoplexy will be a thing of the past.
Have a nice evening, pard.

diverdog
9/20/2012, 09:14 PM
May need to change the way we grow em here, But all my life it werked fine plantin em in the ground . These last few years with the Temp starting to go well over a 100 by mid june just aint doing em any good

Im thinkin Ill invest in a Mister next year
Or just say to hell with it and Buy what I want from the Farmers market

The thing with buckets is that you can move them into the shade. You can also purchase shade netting for your matters.

We have this great compost up here in the east that is made out of the parts left off blue crabs after they have been shucked. The matters luv that chit.

diverdog
9/20/2012, 09:15 PM
You'll never agree with anything I write, so save yourself the trouble and just put me on your ignore list. All that gnashing of teeth and the fits of apoplexy will be a thing of the past.
Have a nice evening, pard.

marf:

I think he is just f*ck*** with ya.

olevetonahill
9/20/2012, 09:21 PM
marf:

I think he is just f*ck*** with ya.

Naw, Im pretty sure I just aint got much use for the dude
I aint gonna put him on Iggy cause I wanta see what else hes gonna come up with Ya Know kinda like every one slows down and stares at wrecks?

rock on sooner
9/20/2012, 09:34 PM
I aint gonna put him on Iggy cause I wanta see what else hes gonna come up with Ya Know kinda like every one slows down and stares at wrecks?

C'mon Vet. yer jus afraid that yew wont have nobody to diss..
it aint what he sez, its jus cause he sez it....

olevetonahill
9/20/2012, 09:37 PM
C'mon Vet. yer jus afraid that yew wont have nobody to diss..
it aint what he sez, its jus cause he sez it....

Naw, Like I said Im purty sure its him being a Pompous,Know it all, Condescendin prick, That I dont much care for

MamaMia
9/21/2012, 12:44 AM
I planted 5 different types.

The best crop I ever had was in S.E. Oklahoma. Same 5 plants but they produced so many that I shared bushels of them. I must have picked at least 100 beautiful green tomatoes the night before the first frost.

marfacowboy
9/21/2012, 07:00 AM

Anyway, back to tomatoes.....I've pulled mine up for the year and throwing what's left into the yard compost pile adjacent to the bins. It's a favorite hunting ground for the cat, although unlike Olevet's, mine usually finishes the job. We had a mole genocide this summer and the mice aren't fairing well either.

proud gonzo
9/22/2012, 11:51 AM
Bumper crop this year. Stay away from Roundup. That's about the worst thing you could have anywhere near your garden. I realize it was your neighbor, but I'd relocate my garden or go to containers. I've had great luck with growing tomatos in containers.
I've found a good compost system is perhaps the best thing you can have as a gardener. We put kitchen scraps in three aerated containers all fall and winter and rotate them. In the spring, when I'm preparing the garden, I spread it liberally throughout the beds. Any pH or other problems should be corrected. Just make sure no fat goes into the bins.

Yep, we had a bumper crop too. Heirloom black krims, amelias, and lots of cherry tomatoes. Watered them every day and now we've got pounds of tomatoes in the freezer--enough for the winter! They would have kept going longer, but we had to go to Los Angeles for a week when it was 110 outside, so they fizzled out. Our peppers are still producing, though.

olevetonahill
9/22/2012, 11:53 AM
Yep, we had a bumper crop too. Heirloom black krims, amelias, and lots of cherry tomatoes. Watered them every day and now we've got pounds of tomatoes in the freezer--enough for the winter! They would have kept going longer, but we had to go to Los Angeles for a week when it was 110 outside, so they fizzled out. Our peppers are still producing, though.

Watered EVERDAY?
Hell I watered every other day and the soil was still kinda moist. Maybe I need to do that next year

proud gonzo
9/26/2012, 08:37 PM
Watered EVERDAY?
Hell I watered every other day and the soil was still kinda moist. Maybe I need to do that next year

Yeah, it was so hot and dry this summer and we wanted to keep them alive.

olevetonahill
9/26/2012, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it was so hot and dry this summer and we wanted to keep them alive.

I think we did get more rain down here than Yall did