PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young is broke

ouleaf
9/19/2012, 12:48 PM
Anybody surprised?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/vince-young-run-money-150846064--nfl.html

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/QB-Vince-Young-out-of-the-game-and-out-of-money-3874936.php

MamaMia
9/19/2012, 01:15 PM
If I would have been paid that amount of money, I would of bought a modest but very nice 4 bedroom home with about $750,000.00 cash. Then I would have purchased a reliable car and a truck to haul things and put the rest in the bank. With that you could pay your living expenses and live off the interest the rest of your life, as long as you didn't go crazy spending money left and right on limos, fancy jewelry, Lear jet vacations and all that jazz.

That being said...he's young and healthy enough, no catastrophic illness loaming, and he does have a college degree, right? Maybe its time he gets a real job, manage his own money and learn from his mistakes.

jk the sooner fan
9/19/2012, 01:17 PM
he's always got that tier 1 education to fall back on.....

budbarrybob
9/19/2012, 01:18 PM
What? A star athlete from Tejas with a wonderlic score of 6? Broke? With a $26 million guaranteed payout? Inconceivable!!!

SoonerLaw09
9/19/2012, 01:18 PM
I just cannot get my brain around spending that much money in such a short period of time. How is that possible (aside from gambling it all away, of course)?

sooneron
9/19/2012, 01:29 PM
He's dumber than a rock. That said, much smarter people have gone broke faster with more $. Anyone that thought he'd live his life out not needing to hit up paid autograph sessions was delusional. ****ing stupid whorn...

picasso
9/19/2012, 01:32 PM
If he moves back to Austin, I'm sure he can get a great deal on an apartment with a SUV already parked inside.

Skysooner
9/19/2012, 01:33 PM
Look at what Mike Tyson went though. It is very possible if you have no clue about money management.

8timechamps
9/19/2012, 01:34 PM
I never fails to amaze me that people can look away while someone else blows through their money. I'm sure Vince spent a lot, but he also allowed others to spend a large portion. Amazing.

cleller
9/19/2012, 01:35 PM
I'd just been thinking about this. Vince Young is probably the dumbest of all football players ever. To be the dumbest at an occupation known for its dumb people is a remarkable achievement.

8timechamps
9/19/2012, 01:36 PM
I'd just been thinking about this. Vince Young is probably the dumbest of all football players ever. To be the dumbest at an occupation known for its dumb people is a remarkable achievement.

I think Jamarcus Russell could give him a run at the "dumbest ever" title.

picasso
9/19/2012, 01:37 PM
Look at what Mike Tyson went though. It is very possible if you have no clue about money management.
Mike had to dole some of that out to his exes.

badger
9/19/2012, 01:42 PM
I can't say I fault Vince. Didn't about the same thing happen to Marcus Dupree, where he gave POA to a con man adviser that proceeded to put tons of debt in Marcus' name while he was busy trying to make it in the USFL?

But I don't pity Vince either. UT-Austin's athletic department has enough dumb donors dumping money on a so-so product that whorn can employ tons of ex-athletes like Vince in do-nothing roles. I remember seeing a Longhorn Network video of an ex-athlete trying to pump up a UT crowd before RRS weekend, saying stupid things like commenting on player physique and how they made sure the game was in the state of Texas. Gah.

I don't know if Vince got his degree or not. Remember that he left after 3 years. I doubt he had the smarts to get a UT degree in that time frame, even a phony major degree.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/19/2012, 01:44 PM

nativesooner
9/19/2012, 01:45 PM
He can always move back to Austin where he's still a God and sell these to pay bills...

http://www.hollywoodmemorabilia.com/files/cache/vince-young-signed-texas-16x20-photo-authentic-autograph-jsa-w254888_84b900a14cc0c083e4a4ebd614a1d989.jpg

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/19/2012, 01:50 PM
I read where his average spend per day is about $7,000.

8timechamps
9/19/2012, 02:06 PM
I can't say I fault Vince. Didn't about the same thing happen to Marcus Dupree, where he gave POA to a con man adviser that proceeded to put tons of debt in Marcus' name while he was busy trying to make it in the USFL?

But I don't pity Vince either. UT-Austin's athletic department has enough dumb donors dumping money on a so-so product that whorn can employ tons of ex-athletes like Vince in do-nothing roles. I remember seeing a Longhorn Network video of an ex-athlete trying to pump up a UT crowd before RRS weekend, saying stupid things like commenting on player physique and how they made sure the game was in the state of Texas. Gah.

I don't know if Vince got his degree or not. Remember that he left after 3 years. I doubt he had the smarts to get a UT degree in that time frame, even a phony major degree.

Very different situation. Marcus was a kid barely out of high school, and his contract was for $1,000,000. That's a lot, but not really. However, they both trusted con men. That's where the similarities end though.

Vince spent a lot of the money himself.

badger
9/19/2012, 03:11 PM
Very different situation. Marcus was a kid barely out of high school, and his contract was for $1,000,000. That's a lot, but not really. However, they both trusted con men. That's where the similarities end though.

Vince spent a lot of the money himself.

I'm just trying to be understanding. I know that Marcus, as a Sooner, is therefore zounds smarter than Dum-dum Vince Young, but it is very common for athletes with nothing who come into money to suddenly be broke again.

8timechamps
9/19/2012, 03:14 PM
I'm just trying to be understanding. I know that Marcus, as a Sooner, is therefore zounds smarter than Dum-dum Vince Young, but it is very common for athletes with nothing who come into money to suddenly be broke again.

Sad, but true.

SoonerMarkVA
9/19/2012, 06:48 PM
A fool and his money ...

C&CDean
9/19/2012, 07:47 PM
This would be just one more of those threads where I go "does anybody really care WTF happens to Vince Young?" Stupid ****ing whorn.

9/19/2012, 07:48 PM
This happens to many NFL players. For the first time in their lives, they have money. Not just money, but SERIOS money. They buy houses for mom and grandma. They have cribs that rival Snoop. Then they fizzle.

Fo sizzle.

Buying a million dollar property is only ok if you have a sustainable multi-million dollar annual income. If you don't have that, it belongs to the bank.

EatLeadCommie
9/19/2012, 09:28 PM
A fairly common problem. I think a lot of it stems from having absolutely zero financial sense or sense of any kind. Some of it is just attitude too. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I know people who live paycheck to paycheck and don't save a dime. It's so stupid, and then they get stressed every time they need money for an emergency, such as when they have an issue with their car. Finally, a lot of these guys don't really grasp the concept of financial stability. Most of these kids have been gifted for years and have had things showered on them since high school, and then again in college. After a while, I can see why they might think they'll always be ok. People have always taken care of them somehow. Money is just an accessory.

C&CDean
9/19/2012, 09:30 PM
Generational? No, it's kinda racial. Give em' a dime, and they'll spend a quarter. And that is so ****ing sad. Seriously. But, of course, it's whitey's fault.

stoopified
9/19/2012, 09:32 PM
If he moves back to Austin, I'm sure he can get a great deal on an apartment with a SUV already parked inside. :D

EatLeadCommie
9/19/2012, 09:33 PM
Generational? No, it's kinda racial. Give em' a dime, and they'll spend a quarter. And that is so ****ing sad. Seriously. But, of course, it's whitey's fault.

Spending money unwisely is not a race thing.

C&CDean
9/19/2012, 09:37 PM
Spending money unwisely is not a race thing.

No ****? However, would it be stereotypical to say "young black dudes who get handed buttloads of money **** it all up???" Or would that be racist? cial.

Soonermagik
9/19/2012, 09:42 PM
Vince Young is right where I thought he would be at this point in his career.

C&CDean
9/19/2012, 09:45 PM
Vince Young is right where I thought he would be at this point in his career.

Really? I never thought he'd make an NFL roster. He's far exceeded my expectations.

bluedogok
9/19/2012, 11:27 PM
He can always move back to Austin where he's still a God and sell these to pay bills...

http://www.hollywoodmemorabilia.com/files/cache/vince-young-signed-texas-16x20-photo-authentic-autograph-jsa-w254888_84b900a14cc0c083e4a4ebd614a1d989.jpg
That will be his future....he probably couldn't afford a meal at his namesake steakhouse in Austin.
Vince Young Steakhouse (http://www.vinceyoungsteakhouse.com/about.html)

nighttrain12
9/20/2012, 12:14 AM
That being said...he's young and healthy enough, no catastrophic illness loaming, and he does have a college degree, right? Maybe its time he gets a real job, manage his own money and learn from his mistakes.

True, what's the big deal if he gets some minimum wage job somewhere? Plenty of people do that and turn out just fine. He's only 29 years old, he has his whole life in front of him. I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest.

budbarrybob
9/20/2012, 02:21 AM
This would be just one more of those threads where I go "does anybody really care WTF happens to Vince Young?" Stupid ****ing whorn.

I hope you don't find offense in this but you don't really give a .... about much. Frequently, when someone comments about something other than OU you seem to have a foul attitude. I know this is a Sooner site but give a Joe Schmoe a break.

EatLeadCommie
9/20/2012, 07:36 AM
No ****? However, would it be stereotypical to say "young black dudes who get handed buttloads of money **** it all up???" Or would that be racist? cial.

It would be racist, especially when taken in conjunction with your previous post about giving "them" something and it all being whitey's fault. There's no doubt that a lot of these kids grow up iin a household or neighborhood that doesn't value education and so they don't work at it. All the focus is on sports. Getting out of that environment means exceeding at sports and not getting an education. Even kids who value an education end up getting a halfassed public education anyway because the schools in the inner city tend to suck. That's an environmental thing, though. It is not a racial thing. White, black, hispanic...you get thrown in that environment and the end result is you tend not to be very savvy when it comes to money. But because a disproportionate number of black kids grow up in those environments and a disproportionate number of black men tend to be the superstars in sports, you tend to see a disproportionate number blowing through money. If "blaming whitey" constitutes being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous white agent, then it's probably because the high powered unscrupulous agents tend to be white.

SunnySooner
9/20/2012, 08:26 AM
IDGAS if you have $100 or $10000000 in the bank, YOU ALWAYS SIGN YOUR OWN DAMN CHECKS!!! Figuratively speaking, no one uses checks anymore, but the idea is the same. Only your spouse should have equal access to the moo-lah, and sometimes that is questionable. You DO NOT give ANYONE else power of attorney, authorization, whatever you want to call it, to spend your money, even if it's just to "pay the bills".

If you have no idea of how much of your income is going out each month, no idea where it's going, or what it's going to pay for....see exhibit A above. Happens every damn time, over and over and over, because these moe-rons are too lazy to take care of their own ****, signing away permission for others to do it for them, never learning that when that happens, a vast chunk of the $$$$ ends up in THAT persons pocket, it's just too easy...free money.

Sadly, this happens to a lot of young deployed servicemembers. They give POA to a trusted "buddy" or girlfriend/boyfriend so that their truck won't be repo'd while their gone, and when they come home, the bills are all overdue, their bank account is near empty, and the "trusted" friend is nowhere to be found. When it comes to money, giving full access to anyone you're not married to is almost always a really effin' bad idea.

PrideMom
9/20/2012, 08:40 AM
You can't fix stupid!

C&CDean
9/20/2012, 08:56 AM
I hope you don't find offense in this but you don't really give a .... about much. Frequently, when someone comments about something other than OU you seem to have a foul attitude. I know this is a Sooner site but give a Joe Schmoe a break.

Heh. You haven't seen foul yet. And how can you not have a foul attitude on subjects like whorns and honey badgers?

badger
9/20/2012, 09:30 AM

In general, these types of threads should be limited. It wasn't too long ago that we had a thread making fun of VY for getting cut by the Bills... that was last month. Do we really need a monthly Vince Young thread?

So, with that in mind, a few requests:

1- Combine ideas that are similar into one thread. Instead of having monthly Vince Young threads, have a "Hate on whorn" thread or something, for whenever a whorn has the misfortune of being a whorn (Examples: Orakpo out for the season on injury, Jermichael Finley's agent ragging on Aaron Rodgers via twitter, Longhorn Network still not getting picked up by anyone other than AT&T and local providers in Tejas).

2- Don't start a new thread every time something happens. Just post in existing threads. (Example: Add to "Poke is in trouble" when OSU announces that their practice facility won't be built till April, even if the thread is mostly talking about their freshman QB going down).

3- Try to keep it Sooner. Yes, it's funny when Vince Young is dumb, broke and caught on camera looking dumb and broke, but remember that he's a whorn quarterback. Why can't we talk about Sammie instead?!

olevetonahill
9/20/2012, 09:34 AM
What the hell does it matter How many VY threads we have?
Do we really need New threads EVERY time you want to post a Pole? Why not just add some new questions to your existing ones :playful:

badger
9/20/2012, 09:35 AM
What the hell does it matter How many VY threads we have?
Do we really need New threads EVERY time you want to post a Pole? Why not just add some new questions to your existing ones :playful:

Believe me, I would if I could, but you cannot edit polls once they are posted. It's why sometimes I close poll threads right after posting them... because there's no way to edit!!!

olevetonahill
9/20/2012, 09:38 AM
Believe me, I would if I could, but you cannot edit polls once they are posted. It's why sometimes I close poll threads right after posting them... because there's no way to edit!!!

LOL

badger
9/20/2012, 10:00 AM
LOL

And I knew you were being silly, btw. However, I felt necessary to explain, since I need to remind you all that you can't change your vote once cast because of the limits of the SF.com polling system, hehe

freshchris05
9/20/2012, 10:17 AM
Dean, you need more black friends

StoopTroup
9/20/2012, 10:20 AM
How did Willy Nelson end up oweing the gubermint?

Stupid *** dope smokin cracker *** cracker.

Willy and this stupid *** Whorn ought to pool their resources and buy some more dope.

C&CDean
9/20/2012, 10:22 AM

Nah, got plenty. Successful people to boot.

And my statement/s are about the furthest thing from "racism" as they could be. Take a look at NFL/NBA/Boxing/etc. How many guys have had millions and then pissed them away? Of those folks, how many happen to be black? And of those guys, how many of them blame someone other than themself - and how many of those blamed happen to be white? Look it up and then get back to me.

It's not racism, it's reality. And it's sad.

freshchris05
9/20/2012, 10:31 AM
Maybe you just need more fiber.

C&CDean
9/20/2012, 10:41 AM
Maybe you just need more fiber.

OK. I chuckled.

I Am Right
9/20/2012, 11:44 AM
Geeez

HToady
9/20/2012, 01:43 PM
Most of these guys have Agents that help them negotiate these big contracts.

I wonder why none of them help their clients with financial advice, retirement plans, etc? Maybe they do.

Seems like a good "cottage industry" though.

badger
9/20/2012, 01:49 PM

I wonder why none of them help their clients with financial advice, retirement plans, etc? Maybe they do.

Agents are among those that pro athletes sue when they go broke, whether they're in the league or retired. I think T.O sued Drew Rosenhaus at least once. I think Dez is also suing Drew.

Seamus
9/20/2012, 02:17 PM
Vince: Should i be considering an investment in gold?

Shady Adviser: If by gold you mean "bling," I have one word: Buy! Buy! Buy!

Vince: Ummm, isn't that three words? (whispers: or was it four?)

85sooners
9/20/2012, 03:13 PM
young is dumb

8timechamps
9/20/2012, 03:17 PM

And my statement/s are about the furthest thing from "racism" as they could be. Take a look at NFL/NBA/Boxing/etc. How many guys have had millions and then pissed them away? Of those folks, how many happen to be black? And of those guys, how many of them blame someone other than themself - and how many of those blamed happen to be white? Look it up and then get back to me.

It's not racism, it's reality. And it's sad.

It's not racism, it's the truth. 60% of NBA players go broke within 5 years of leaving the league. What is the demographic of the NBA? Over 75% of NBA players are black. I don't know about the NFL, MLB or NHL, but the NBA stat is quite telling. Some people think anytime someone uses the word "black", it's a racist statement.

8timechamps
9/20/2012, 03:20 PM

It's a weird business. To be an agent, you have to be certified by the NFL. To be a "financial advisor", you just have to tell people that's what you do. Agents, contrary to popular belief, don't really care how athletes invest/spend their money. They get paid based on what the contracts (team/commercial) are worth.

HToady
9/20/2012, 03:35 PM
It's a weird business. To be an agent, you have to be certified by the NFL. To be a "financial advisor", you just have to tell people that's what you do. Agents, contrary to popular belief, don't really care how athletes invest/spend their money. They get paid based on what the contracts (team/commercial) are worth.

That's too bad. One would think for the money they get thy could hire a 401K planner or something. Seriously, if a guys making $100M how hard is it to toss back a mil or two for a rainy day. Plus, you could still be making money off these guys years down the road.....

8timechamps
9/20/2012, 03:38 PM
That's too bad. One would think for the money they get thy could hire a 401K planner or something. Seriously, if a guys making $100M how hard is it to toss back a mil or two for a rainy day. Plus, you could still be making money off these guys years down the road.....

The smart ones do hire someone trusted to advise them. It shouldn't be hard for guys making millions to set themselves up for life. The problem starts when they hire people they don't really know, and/or start spending like they are going to be making millions for the rest of their lives.

EatLeadCommie
9/20/2012, 04:18 PM
It's not racism, it's the truth. 60% of NBA players go broke within 5 years of leaving the league. What is the demographic of the NBA? Over 75% of NBA players are black. I don't know about the NFL, MLB or NHL, but the NBA stat is quite telling. Some people think anytime someone uses the word "black", it's a racist statement.

I didn't think it was racist because the word black was used. I thought it was racist because of this: "Generational? No, it's kinda racial. Give em' a dime, and they'll spend a quarter. And that is so ****ing sad. Seriously. But, of course, it's whitey's fault."

First, it says that it's racial. Second, it says if you "give em' a dime...they'll spend a quarter." Third, it then goes on to create a red herring bogeyman in "whitey." It's loaded language, full of resentment and layered with racism. I don't care if Dean is a mod. I call it like I see it, and I'm hardly some left-winger who is hypersensitive to the plight of the underprivileged. The closest I've come to voting for a Democrat in my life is when I vote for the occasional independent or Libertarian.

I acknowledged that there is a problem in the inner cities and that this obviously affects blacks disproportionately. And blacks are disproportionately represented in professional sports, particularly when it comes to star, high-profile athletes. Put whites in that same situation and you will have the same result. It is environmental, not racial. Dean is right about one thing, though. It is sad. It is sad because it only prolongs and promulgates the coded racism and resentment among troglodytes who still think black people are incapable of taking care of themselves.

I don't know if any of the pro leagues have something in place to give these guys financial advice, but they should. I think some of the teams do.

8timechamps
9/20/2012, 04:28 PM
I didn't think it was racist because the word black was used. I thought it was racist because of this: "Generational? No, it's kinda racial. Give em' a dime, and they'll spend a quarter. And that is so ****ing sad. Seriously. But, of course, it's whitey's fault."

First, it says that it's racial. Second, it says if you "give em' a dime...they'll spend a quarter." Third, it then goes on to create a red herring bogeyman in "whitey." It's loaded language, full of resentment and layered with racism. I don't care if Dean is a mod. I call it like I see it, and I'm hardly some left-winger who is hypersensitive to the plight of the underprivileged. The closest I've come to voting for a Democrat in my life is when I vote for the occasional independent or Libertarian.

I acknowledged that there is a problem in the inner cities and that this obviously affects blacks disproportionately. And blacks are disproportionately represented in professional sports, particularly when it comes to star, high-profile athletes. Put whites in that same situation and you will have the same result. It is environmental, not racial. Dean is right about one thing, though. It is sad. It is sad because it only prolongs and promulgates the coded racism and resentment among troglodytes who still think black people are incapable of taking care of themselves.

I don't know if any of the pro leagues have something in place to give these guys financial advice, but they should. I think some of the teams do.

I wasn't accusing you of saying it was racial because it had "black" in it, if that were the case, I would have replied to your post. However, there are a lot of people that think simply referring to black people as "black" is racism. That's why I mentioned it in my post.

As for Dean's comment, I guess it kinda goes back to knowing what Dean is saying. Of course he's not saying "all black people are poor money managers".

I know the NFL has a rookie course in money management (along with social media, etc.), but I think a lot of the athletes entering the league are too set in their ways to benefit from a one hour lecture on the importance of money management.

MountainOkie
9/20/2012, 07:08 PM
IDGAS if you have $100 or $10000000 in the bank, YOU ALWAYS SIGN YOUR OWN DAMN CHECKS!!! Figuratively speaking, no one uses checks anymore, but the idea is the same. Only your spouse should have equal access to the moo-lah, and sometimes that is questionable. You DO NOT give ANYONE else power of attorney, authorization, whatever you want to call it, to spend your money, even if it's just to "pay the bills".

This times 1000.

bluedogok
9/20/2012, 10:53 PM
My wife had a co-worker in Austin who had a sister who worked for one of those "financial advisement" firms in Austin that handled a lot of former Whorn players in the NFL, MLB and NBA. She was amazed at how little their clients actually knew about their money, most would call up and ask for for what equated to an allowance. There was another firm doing the same thing where the owners were indicted (a few years ago) for swindling their clients (players) out of their money and the CEO using company funds to play a shell game with his "own" properties and lifestyle. It doesn't matter if you are hiring "professionals" or your uncle to handle everything for you, it you lack discernment more than likely you are going to make a bad choice in advisers and that is a sure way to get into trouble. There are plenty of VH1 Behind the Music episodes with the same basic story and could be ones on ESPN as well.

Sabanball
9/20/2012, 11:03 PM
Looks like John L. Smith at Arkansas is trying to outdo Vince Young ....

http://deadspin.com/5944759/arkansas-football-coach-john-l-smith-has-only-500-in-his-checking-account

SCOUT
9/20/2012, 11:29 PM

http://www.telly.com/HGVKR?fromtwitvid=1

StoopTroup
9/21/2012, 12:32 AM

Are you counting Dolemite as White or Black?

C&CDean
9/21/2012, 08:43 AM

OK. It's loaded with racism. Whatever. You know what I'm saying, and what I'm saying is truth. If you don't like the way I say it, that's fine. It takes five fingers to make a hand. It takes a bunch of cars to fill up the freeway. It only takes two hands to add up Vince Young's Wonderlic score.

C&CDean
9/21/2012, 08:44 AM
Are you counting Dolemite as White or Black?

Doleo is a wigger. Keep up.

StoopTroup
9/22/2012, 01:09 AM
Doleo is a wigger. Keep up.

I forgot. Sorry. ROTF....

Sorry J....it had to be asked....LMAO

9/22/2012, 03:24 AM
I just made a million bucks. That qualified me to buy this $4 million house. That million bucks is gone. I owe how much?

Dean's dime/quarter analogy is spot-on, no matter the race.

picasso
9/22/2012, 02:40 PM
Reminds me of Ty Webb. He had $70,000.00 checks lying around his house.

And a summons.

Penguin
9/22/2012, 03:40 PM
How is that possible (aside from gambling it all away, of course)?

Get an entourage and pay for all of their drug habits.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/22/2012, 05:07 PM
How is that possible (aside from gambling it all away, of course)?

Get an entourage and pay for all of their drug habits.
it
buy every seat on a sw airlines flight so that you don't have to sit with other people