PDA

View Full Version : Never cared much for Pro FB, and these generic Refs aint helpin

olevetonahill
9/17/2012, 10:33 PM
Dayum they cant get a call right it seems tonight :drunk:

SoonerofAlabama
9/18/2012, 07:09 AM
Meh, I don't care either way. Refs miss calls all the time, these are just published a lot more because these are the new guys.

cleller
9/18/2012, 08:00 AM
It seemed like Gruden was being extra tough on the refs last night. Of course it was a slow and smelly game.

olevetonahill
9/18/2012, 10:23 AM
Meh, I don't care either way. Refs miss calls all the time, these are just published a lot more because these are the new guys.

Not like this Bro Not like this

Hell in the 1st 1/2 they reversed the call on the field 3 times

CowboyMRW
9/18/2012, 10:36 AM
Yes, Goodell needs to end the holdout and pay the real refs whatever they want. The speed of the game is just too much for these guys.

Safety has to play a factor. I've seen a lot of targeting and launching so far this year that hasn't been called. Not to mention all the holds by DBs in the end zone.

These guys went from managing Cosco to reffing the NFL in a span of a month. They are not ready for this.

badger
9/18/2012, 10:48 AM
Why in the hell are they not paying the refs? Are they really that tight with money? Are they trying to create a nest egg in case the concussion lawsuits are successful? Are they just worried about empowering the refs to demand more later? Are they just cheapskate bastards that would lockout everyone if it meant more money for the owners?

Pony up. The replacement refs are no replacement at all. :mad:

I Am Right
9/18/2012, 11:16 AM
refs are fine!!!!

olevetonahill
9/18/2012, 11:29 AM
refs are fine!!!!

Dont bogart that joint.

badger
9/18/2012, 11:42 AM
refs are fine!!!!

The moment the fans start yelling at the TV "I could do better" and make it sound believable, you're in trouble.

No doubt fans in frustration have yelled that at players who miss free throws, kickers who miss extra points or outfielders that terribly miss "easy" outs, but nobody ever believes them. The defense would maul an Average Joe that attempted to kick, the pressure of a free throw would cause an Average Joe to bonk it, and outfields are a lot bigger in the MLB than in summer league slow pitch softball.

These refs? Comedy of errors that isn't funny. Put a whistle in the mouth of an Average Joe and tell him to toss a yellow hanky occasionally and you could honestly probably not tell the difference. That's bad. That's sad.

It's making the games a lot more difficult to watch.

Mississippi Sooner
9/18/2012, 11:46 AM
The only positive spin I can put on it is that at least the incompetence is even-handed. At the end of that Rams-Redskins game the other day, both Jeff Fisher and Mike Shanahan were steamed at the refs, and both had good reasons to be.

swardboy
9/18/2012, 11:49 AM
And just as soon as the "real" refs are back on the field, the players AND coaches are gonna start moaning about how much better the replacement guys were.....BOOK IT!

CowboyMRW
9/18/2012, 12:18 PM
And just as soon as the "real" refs are back on the field, the players AND coaches are gonna start moaning about how much better the replacement guys were.....BOOK IT!

Defensive backs will. Right now they're allowed to get away with murder.

badger
9/18/2012, 12:37 PM

Complaints regardless. However, there is definitely more howling about the refs than previous seasons.

goingoneight
9/18/2012, 12:46 PM
Defensive backs will. Right now they're allowed to get away with murder.

I'm not that old... and I remember a time before offenses went so pass happy (cheap) that the little gripes on DBs today were simply known as good defense. Now, it's almost like you have to give the receiver a halo or he demands a flag.

Before too long, D-Linemen batting passes down will be a form of pass interference.

That all said... I am blown away by the fact that with a rules official at their dispense-- how they're messing up the simplest things like where to spot the ball and how many yards a penalty is (math).

Curly Bill
9/18/2012, 12:50 PM
I'm all for paying the officials more in return for greater accountability on their part. You hammer a call you have to explain why, you hammer a call the league takes some action against you. Let's pay em more, but make em face consequences when they screw up, just like peeps in most other jobs.

Statalyzer
9/19/2012, 05:46 PM
It's not that guys are missing calls, it's all the spots that are off, poor game management & player control, rules confusion, bad communication w/r/t who has what duties, stuff like this.

olevetonahill
9/19/2012, 06:00 PM
It's not that guys are missing calls, it's all the spots that are off, poor game management & player control, rules confusion, bad communication w/r/t who has what duties, stuff like this.

All that AND they Missin calls

8timechamps
9/19/2012, 06:09 PM
The replacements are bad. Anyone that thinks otherwise hasn't been watching much pro ball. It's hard to blame the guys, and I'm sure they're doing the best job they can, but they just aren't good. The best officials are at home, on strike, the next best thing is the D1 guys, and they are working. These guys are probably high school officials. Maybe some lower level college guys in there too.

I read that the officials are on strike for a pension program. The NFL considers the officials "part time" and refuses to offer them pensions. It should be noted that no NFL personnel have pensions (players do, but that's a separate deal). I can kind of see both sides.

Right now, the NFL thinks it's too big and can do just fine with the replacements. As the weeks move on, and games continue to be poorly officiated, the outcry will get louder. It may take a game changing call, or an injured star player (I hope not) to make the NFL move.

ashley
9/20/2012, 07:32 AM
All games were analized be a New York newspaper according to penalities called this year on an a weekly and total basis. The only statistical difference of any consequence was that games games wery running six minutes longer. Thus, taking longer to make decisions and keep the game flow. All penalties were looked at from roughing the passer to pass interference and all were just about exactly like last hear at this time. For instance, this time last year the home teams received 44% of the flags this year it is 45%. Coaches challenges were a touch better on the officials side this year. Since the rules are different from what they officials are used to it is taking longer to get it right.
I was told by an NFL official that the officials were constantly under the gun to get games done in three hours and absoutley not over three fifteen.