PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Re-enactment

8timechamps
9/16/2012, 07:35 PM
So I have a relative that lives in Tennessee that does the whole Civil War re-enactment (henceforth referred to CWR) thing. I barely know him, but see his Facebook posts, and frequently, there is something related to his CWR.

Does anyone here do that or know anyone that does it?

I've never seen a re-enactment, nor really wanted to see one. Seems like a lot of work, and that just going camping would be better.

BigTip
9/16/2012, 07:42 PM
My brother did that. He had a great time doing it. He was not a hunter so this gave him a reason to camp. Had a lot of friends in his group. It's a hobby. He was always a history buff too so this helped him live it a suppose.

marfacowboy
9/16/2012, 07:43 PM
The required reading for this is Confederates in the Attic, an absolutely hilarious account of following serious re-enactors...the ones that try to replicate battlefield conditions (sleeping in the rain, sleeping in ditches in wool unis) and practice "bloating."

I see them at Shiloh from time to time. Maybe I saw your relative....

hawaii 5-0
9/16/2012, 09:04 PM
I read Confederates in the Attic this Summer. Highly recommended for anyone the least bit interested in the American Civil War. It explains how serious some people take this.

Personally I love touring Battlefields. I'm especially enamored with Sharpsburg.

I once asked an Englishman who had lived here 30 years a question about the Civil War and without a beat he retorted, "Which one?"

5-0

jk the sooner fan
9/16/2012, 09:21 PM
i last visited Gettysburg about 3 days before the anniversary of the battle - and they had MANY units camped out all over - preparing for the big re-enactment

i look at it as a form of living history - kinda goofy but i think its probably a good thing

WP still teaches A LOT of leadership lessons from the civil war..........A....LOT

olevetonahill
9/16/2012, 09:36 PM
There are some Die hard traditionalist who run you off if you bring anything thats not Period specific to camp.
I mean they use only the same things that were available to the common soldier back then.from the wool underware to camping stuff what ever

They take it serious, The ones I have seen when a soldier is wounded or killed they make you almost believe its real

Allsome

hawaii 5-0
9/17/2012, 12:47 AM
FWIW, tomorrow is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam.

The single bloodiest day in American History.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/antietam.html

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/17/2012, 01:21 AM
A little known tidbit about the Battle.......

On the Union side there was a young man who was a supply sergeant who, in the thick of the Battle, delivered hot coffee to the troops. His galantry under fire earned him the nickname Coffee Boy.

His name was William McKinley.

5-0

StoopTroup
9/17/2012, 01:35 AM
My Brother lives in Pittsburgh and has participated in it for years. He and many of his buddies have a small fortune in real and replica CW stuff. He isn't near as active since twisting his knee jumping off a buck board wagon. Gettysburg is a very cool place IMO

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2012, 08:43 AM
Doesn't SicEm play?

olevetonahill
9/17/2012, 08:45 AM
Doesn't SicEm play?

Naw, He plays Paint ball german Nazi shat

Mississippi Sooner
9/17/2012, 09:06 AM
I've been to quite a few battlefields, but I think the most eye opening to me were the ones around Petersburg and Mechanicsville, VA where the siege of Richmond took place. The actual trenches are still there, and in some places they are so close to each other that it seems like the soldiers could have thrown rocks and hit each other.

jk the sooner fan
9/17/2012, 11:07 AM

rofl - that cracked me up ......perfectly worded

oudanny
9/17/2012, 11:15 AM
I'm not a participant but have a couple of friends that are re-enactors. They seem to have a great time. I have tickets for the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg re-enactment next July. I think they are expecting several thousand re-enactors. I have been to all of the major Civil War battlefields and several of the smaller ones and forts. One of my favorite sites to visit is Vicksburg.

8timechamps
9/17/2012, 03:51 PM
Interesting input all.

My cousin is a die hard re-enactor I would guess (from the sound of things). Maybe it would be cool to check it out some time. I like Civil War history, so maybe it would be interesting.

I suppose like any hobby, some people really go overboard.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2012, 03:54 PM
My dad re-enacted for 20+ years. The entire family did it when I was growing up.

Confederate I should add lest someone get the wrong impression.

Homey does it though he's a f'n yankee of course.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2012, 03:56 PM
Correct. I wouldn't have put it quite that way though, and what I do is most definitely not re-enacting.

marfacowboy
9/17/2012, 07:01 PM
FWIW, tomorrow is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam.

The single bloodiest day in American History.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/antietam.html

5-0

A good excuse to put in the Ken Burns special....there sure isn't anything else on the television.

BigTip
9/17/2012, 08:52 PM
"I know it sounds stupid and silly, but there are these bunch of guys that just sit around their computers talking about football"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/2691362822_d095f9c283.jpg

Lots of people have hobbies. lol

BigTip
9/17/2012, 08:58 PM
I've been to quite a few battlefields, but I think the most eye opening to me were the ones around Petersburg and Mechanicsville, VA where the siege of Richmond took place. The actual trenches are still there, and in some places they are so close to each other that it seems like the soldiers could have thrown rocks and hit each other.

My brother, the reenactor, had a similar eye opening experience. He was in a cavalry unit once. They were in a charge going against a Yankee line of soldiers. He said they were a ways off when the line fired their blanks at them. He said the heat from the blanks was intense. He said it really made him appreciate the real soldiers heading into real bullets.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2012, 09:05 PM
My brother, the reenactor, had a similar eye opening experience. He was in a cavalry unit once. They were in a charge going against a Yankee line of soldiers. He said they were a ways off when the line fired their blanks at them. He said the heat from the blanks was intense. He said it really made him appreciate the real soldiers heading into real bullets.
There have been a lot of major accidents. Since my dad is a doctor, he was always the guy they'd run and get every time they had an accident. One yankee jackass fired his musket right in some poor guy's face one time and received major burns. Another guy dropped dead once from a heart attack right there on the field.

BigTip
9/17/2012, 10:54 PM
. Another guy dropped dead once from a heart attack right there on the field.

It ruined the whole day. It was do a charge, and drag Charlie, do a charge, and drag Charlie....

(old golf joke)

8timechamps
9/18/2012, 02:12 PM
"I know it sounds stupid and silly, but there are these bunch of guys that just sit around their computers talking about football"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/2691362822_d095f9c283.jpg

Lots of people have hobbies. lol

I've never thought of it as stupid or silly, just never really thought about it. Then I added my cousin on Facebook, and I see a lot about it, and was curious if anyone here had participated.

I don't make fun of anyone's hobbies. Hobbies are specific to each person, and what floats my boat may seem silly or stupid to another person. I have a friend that's really into flying remote controlled airplanes. I would guess he's got over $100,000 into it, and I never really understood the attraction. A couple of years ago I finally went with him to fly them, and while it was fun, it's not something I would do. He's not hurting for money, so his "investment" makes sense to him, but seems extreme to me. Different strokes.

olevetonahill
9/18/2012, 02:22 PM
I've never thought of it as stupid or silly, just never really thought about it. Then I added my cousin on Facebook, and I see a lot about it, and was curious if anyone here had participated.

I don't make fun of anyone's hobbies. Hobbies are specific to each person, and what floats my boat may seem silly or stupid to another person. I have a friend that's really into flying remote controlled airplanes. I would guess he's got over $100,000 into it, and I never really understood the attraction. A couple of years ago I finally went with him to fly them, and while it was fun, it's not something I would do. He's not hurting for money, so his "investment" makes sense to him, but seems extreme to me. Different strokes.

If I could afford a 100K on a hobby I'd have me another Piper Archer
Jes sayin

8timechamps
9/18/2012, 04:29 PM
If I could afford a 100K on a hobby I'd have me another Piper Archer
Jes sayin

Yeah, but that's a real plane...that can take you places.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2012, 04:52 PM
It's a very expensive hobby. I never much cared for it -- the uniforms are hotter than **** (all wool out in the heat). Plus, I'm a small guy and carrying the rifle and all the gear was hard on me but I did it a couple of times. For two years I was a drummer; I wasn't great, but I knew a few of the basics. My dad knows virtually every detail of the war itself, but the actual military history of the war was never my thing. I'm much much more interested in the politics behind the war.

Scenario paintball is my hobby. Many but not all of the scenarios are based (loosely) on WWII battles, and I always play on the German side which is what Vet was referencing.

olevetonahill
9/18/2012, 06:21 PM
It's a very expensive hobby. I never much cared for it -- the uniforms are hotter than **** (all wool out in the heat). Plus, I'm a small guy and carrying the rifle and all the gear was hard on me but I did it a couple of times. For two years I was a drummer; I wasn't great, but I knew a few of the basics. My dad knows virtually every detail of the war itself, but the actual military history of the war was never my thing. I'm much much more interested in the politics behind the war.

Scenario paintball is my hobby. Many but not all of the scenarios are based (loosely) on WWII battles, and I always play on the German side which is what Vet was referencing.

****in Nazi :beaten:

Turd_Ferguson
9/18/2012, 06:30 PM
****in Muschi :beaten:fixed...

MountainOkie
9/20/2012, 08:01 PM
I never much cared for it -- the uniforms are hotter than **** (all wool out in the heat).

This. Expect some moderate to severe heatstroke given conditions.