PDA

View Full Version : Portabello Mushroom ****** *******'s...

Turd_Ferguson
9/16/2012, 01:09 PM
Ain't never cooked them. Anybody got some advice on how to cook them, season them, marinate them?

TIA

olevetonahill
9/16/2012, 01:14 PM
Smoke em
Oh wait ....

Turd_Ferguson
9/16/2012, 01:25 PM
Smoke em
Oh wait ....Already tried. Now I'm -1 out of 6. Plus, I used up all my Zig Zag's try'n to roll it.

olevetonahill
9/16/2012, 01:29 PM
Already tried. Now I'm -1 out of 6. Plus, I used up all my Zig Zag's try'n to roll it.

Shoulda tried in a Pipe

Yahoo just happened to post this recipe just now

Cheese-&-Spinach-Stuffed Portobellos (pictured above)
($1.65 per serving), serve with whole-wheat fusilli

Active time: 20 minutes | Total: 40 minutes

4 large portobello mushroom caps
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons finely chopped kalamata olives
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place mushroom caps, gill-side up, on the prepared pan. Sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mash ricotta, spinach, 1/4 cup Parmesan, olives, Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Place marinara sauce in a small bowl, cover and microwave on High until hot, 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes.
4. When the mushrooms are tender, carefully pour out any liquid accumulated in the caps. Return the caps to the pan gill-side up. Spread 1 tablespoon marinara into each cap; cover the remaining sauce to keep warm. Mound a generous 1/3 cup ricotta filling into each cap and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes. Serve with the remaining marinara sauce.

Makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 216 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 683 mg sodium; 692 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Calcium (31% daily value), Vitamin A (28% dv), Potassium (20% dv).

MamaMia
9/16/2012, 01:33 PM
Chop. Saute in pan with butter, garlic and chopped parsley. Serve over vermicelli or spaghetti noodles. Grate some parmigiana on top.

rock on sooner
9/16/2012, 01:44 PM
If ya want to grill 'em and make a sammich, here's how I do it..

take the caps and brush with olive oil, both sides, then sprinkle
with granulated garlic. With vane side up, healthy sprinkle with
Worchestershire sauce, let stand in fridge for an hour or so.
Preheat the grill...med hot to hot (the hotter the grill the faster,
but ya gotta stay close by, not any longer than half a beer.
Put the caps on the grill, vane side up and grill til you have
good grill marks, turn the caps only once...all the sauce will
make smoke and help the flavor. The caps will shrink some,
the caps will have cooked through. I toast the buns and treat
the mushrooms as if they were burger meat, with all the
trimmings..onion, pickles, tomatoes, even lettuce. Great
change of pace from meat...

olevetonahill
9/16/2012, 02:05 PM
ya take the stems off? throw em away er use em fer sompun else

Turd_Ferguson
9/16/2012, 02:06 PM
If ya want to grill 'em and make a sammich, here's how I do it..

take the caps and brush with olive oil, both sides, then sprinkle
with granulated garlic. With vane side up, healthy sprinkle with
Worchestershire sauce, let stand in fridge for an hour or so.
Preheat the grill...med hot to hot (the hotter the grill the faster,
but ya gotta stay close by, not any longer than half a beer.
Put the caps on the grill, vane side up and grill til you have
good grill marks, turn the caps only once...all the sauce will
make smoke and help the flavor. The caps will shrink some,
the caps will have cooked through. I toast the buns and treat
the mushrooms as if they were burger meat, with all the
trimmings..onion, pickles, tomatoes, even lettuce. Great
change of pace from meat...

First and last one I ever et tasted like a filet mignon. Thanks for the recipe. I'll think I'll use balsamic instead of wooshchestershire sauce...

cleller
9/16/2012, 02:07 PM
We marinade in some garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar (little bit), and a little soy sauce, then grill. Good stuff. Tastes like steak in a weird way.

olevetonahill
9/16/2012, 02:11 PM
Dayum, Ima have to try some if they taste like Steak

rock on sooner
9/16/2012, 03:36 PM
First and last one I ever et tasted like a filet mignon. Thanks for the recipe. I'll think I'll use balsamic instead of wooshchestershire sauce...

Some in my family like the balsamic, but, since, Ima cookin'...
get my drift?:biggrin:

rock on sooner
9/16/2012, 03:41 PM
ya take the stems off? throw em away er use em fer sompun else

Ifn ya do omelets, the stems, with onions sauteed in olive oil, topped
with Mexican cheeses and hot sauce (er salsa) are dayum good!

C&CDean
9/16/2012, 07:28 PM
Y'all ain't hillbillies, you're ****ing idiots.

Portobellos? Axe momma. Alls I know is they're "parmagiana" and they so effing good you might just have an O or 3 while eating them.

Garlic, mozzarella, butter, and whatever else she does. Ooh, so good...

StoopTroup
9/17/2012, 01:50 AM
If I have the choice between a rib-eye, strip, filet of Portabello...the mushroom loses every time but if you use one properly in a recipe like Vet or Mama posted....I'm in, especially if I get the steak with it

KantoSooner
9/17/2012, 01:41 PM
Take an 8" port and a ribeye steak. Marinate the steak briefly in worchertershire sauce, and red wine. Put the port on top of the steak, 'gills' up. Place four pats of butter at the cardinal directions, splasha a little balsamic vinegar on it. Salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Grill the steak and the port as a unit until the steak is done to your taste.

Give the steak to whoever you're eating with. Keep the port for yourself.

The end.

ouleaf
9/17/2012, 03:02 PM
I like dicing them up, sauteeing and adding them along with other veggies into some stir-fried rice. Pretty tasty.

olevetonahill
9/17/2012, 03:09 PM
Ive never ate any, But you folk sayin they better than Steak got to be nuts

KantoSooner
9/17/2012, 03:51 PM
Well, yeah. But, if you have to go veggie, then they are absolutely the way to go. You can also slice 'em up and make fantastic mushroom soup.

olevetonahill
9/17/2012, 03:58 PM
Well, yeah. But, if you have to go veggie, then they are absolutely the way to go. You can also slice 'em up and make fantastic mushroom soup.

Ive been told I would be the perfect Vegan cept for one small problem

I love My Red meat

olevetonahill
9/17/2012, 04:09 PM
So all this talk got me curious and stuff . Do yall buy em Dried ,in a Jar fresh ????

http://www.nextag.com/portobello-mushrooms/compare-html

MamaMia
9/17/2012, 09:43 PM
Fresh is the only way to go. They are also really good cut in strips along with saute'ed buttered scallops, and pesto on top of the pasta of your choice.

olevetonahill
9/17/2012, 09:46 PM
Fresh is the only way to go.

Do they sell em in the Produce section? Year round or seasonal?

MamaMia
9/17/2012, 10:21 PM
Do they sell em in the Produce section? Year round or seasonal?

Year round, but not always in stock. Produce department, usually next to the white button mushrooms.

olevetonahill
9/17/2012, 10:31 PM
Year round, but not always in stock. Produce department, usually next to the white button mushrooms.

HMM , Prolly look for some next time im at the Store

MamaMia
9/18/2012, 10:27 AM
They never run out at Sunshine Market or Whole Foods, if you go to the city.

soonerinabilene
9/18/2012, 07:01 PM
Baby bellas, sauteed, and mixed into a steak omelet. damn.

Or, whole baby bellas, sliced peppers, jalepenos, and medium-large shrimp. throw it all in to a foil pan with 2 sticks of butter,cover, place on a grill or into an oven, and come back in about 30 minutes.

Ton Loc
9/18/2012, 07:42 PM
Chop. Saute in pan with butter, garlic and chopped parsley. Serve over vermicelli or spaghetti noodles. Grate some parmigiana on top.

Listen to Mama. Try it this way first then prepare them with a steak or an omelet. I love my ports with eggs on Sunday morning. They really do taste "meaty".

MamaMia
9/18/2012, 08:24 PM
Listen to Mama. Try it this way first then prepare them with a steak or an omelet. I love my ports with eggs on Sunday morning. They really do taste "meaty".Plus, its fast and its so easy. You put your Pepperidge Farms garlic and butter bread in the oven, (Freezer section)...make a simple green salad with just lettuce, cherry tomatoes, black olives and cucumbers. Serve that with an oil and vinegar based Italian dressing (Good Seasonings packets with rice vinegar and a light oil, like safflower, make a delicious fast and fresh dressing). Grate the parmigiana. While your noodles are boiling and the bread is baking, saute' your mushrooms, butter, parsley and garlic and you have dinner prepared and ready to serve in 20 to 30 minutes flat, start to finish. You can throw in some scallops, shrimp or both if you like.