View Full Version : Colorado...

OklahomaTuba
9/15/2012, 09:40 PM
Wow.

CU 7 Fresno St 62
9 Min left in the 3rd.

LRoss
9/15/2012, 09:44 PM
Sac St beat 'em up pretty good, you have to give them a bounce back week after a game like that last one.

Blue
9/15/2012, 09:44 PM
How has Colorado fallen so far?

salth2o
9/15/2012, 10:21 PM
IT'S DIVISION I FOOTBALL. TEH PAC 12. IT AIN'T INTRAMURAL'S.

SoonerMarkVA
9/15/2012, 10:46 PM

I dunno, but I'm sure glad they're another conference's problem.

I'd be OK if Nebraska somehow ended up back in the XII, but the rest that have left I would not want back, and way down at the bottom of that is CU.

tycat947
9/15/2012, 10:49 PM
If not the worst FBS team, they are darn close! I lived in Denver for 11 years and I love it!

MyT Oklahoma
9/15/2012, 10:59 PM
I don't want any of them back. They made their choices, let them live with them.

Flagstaffsooner
9/15/2012, 11:03 PM
I thought this was going to be a John Denver song.

8timechamps
9/15/2012, 11:34 PM
Colorado brought in a bunch of former players that had landed a few coaching gigs at the collegiate and NFL level, and figured they could do the trick. The problem is, they have no idea what their doing. Seriously. It's embarrassing. I tuned it off at 69-7. CU will NOT win a single game this year.

Mazeppa
9/15/2012, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=I'd be OK if Nebraska somehow ended up back in the XII,[/QUOTE]

That's a pipe dream, NU is gone and good riddance. I don't understand the love for a university that turned it's back on their conference. You need to let it go.

picasso
9/15/2012, 11:45 PM
I thought this was going to be a John Denver song.
John Denver could kick their asses. btw, I like his remake of Mother Nature's Son.

redkid
9/16/2012, 01:18 AM
I'm thinking they probably pop a top on a Coors instead of gaterade during practice

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/16/2012, 01:21 AM
Wow.

CU 7 Fresno St 62
9 Min left in the 3rd.and, where the heck have you been?

MamaMia
9/16/2012, 01:47 AM
They were terrible! No way would I want that mess of a team stinking up our conference. :O

MamaMia
9/16/2012, 02:05 AM
I dunno, but I'm sure glad they're another conference's problem.

I'd be OK if Nebraska somehow ended up back in the XII, but the rest that have left I would not want back, and way down at the bottom of that is CU.

At first I was sad hearing about the rumors that Nebraska was leaving. I was so naive that I didn't think they would really leave. I was in shock. Maybe it was all the memories, the oranges being rolled on to the field, sharing the Big Red chant, how nice their fans use to be, but then they just left, all happy about it. When they left, turning their noses up at our conference, the tradition of OU/Nebraska every year, then every 2 years, they started a chain reaction of teams leaving and then before I turned around, I found myself at Stoolwater 2 years in a row! That experience needs a season to get over, but no...we had to realign. Well, thats when this song just popped in my head...if they even THINK about coming back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I

TheHumanAlphabet
9/16/2012, 06:56 AM
Seeing CU lose as bad as they are thisyear gives a tngle down my leg, to paraphrase a democrat hack journalist.

SoonerMarkVA
9/16/2012, 08:05 AM
That's a pipe dream, NU is gone and good riddance. I don't understand the love for a university that turned it's back on their conference. You need to let it go.

That's a pretty bizarre interpretation of my statement. I have no yearning to have NU back. I merely stated that, if something happened so they were coming back, I'd be OK with it, as in they're the only ones I wouldn't actively oppose.

bluedogok
9/16/2012, 11:37 AM
They hired their John Blake......a former alum NFL position coach who came cheap after still paying off the buyout of Barnett and the new buyout of Hawkins. The odd thing is their OC (Eric Bieniemy) is paid the same as the HC (Jon Embree).

They are so bad they make Fairbanks 1980 team look decent, it was 55-7 at the half. This excerpt from the AP story (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fresno-state-rolls-past-winless-034838060--ncaaf.html) pretty much says how bad they are

Colorado was outgained 516-123 in the first half, and the Bulldogs had twice as many touchdowns (eight) as the Buffaloes had first downs (four). It was the most yards allowed in any half by Colorado and one point shy of UCLA's 56-point first half in 1980 against the Buffaloes.

GottaHavePride
9/16/2012, 12:04 PM
Man, that 1980 Colorado team was terrible. Look up their stats... :)

Especially the game against us.

8timechamps
9/16/2012, 12:47 PM
If not the worst FBS team, they are darn close! I lived in Denver for 11 years and I love it!

The Buffs fans are in full meltdown today. FIRE EMBREE!!!

I would have to say they are the worst FBS team in the country. Embarrassing.

AlboSooner
9/16/2012, 02:35 PM
They are never coming back. Historically irrelevant programs need to capitalize on their rare success to move to the next level, and Colorado didn't capitalize on their success during the late 90's and early 2000s'.

Same is going to happen to Boise. But Boise never had the advantages of Colorado

MountainOkie
9/16/2012, 02:59 PM
Hahahahahaha! Hahahahahaha!

9/16/2012, 04:33 PM

I would have to say they are the worst FBS team in the country. Embarrassing.They are up there with Mizzou and orange aggy as far as Sooner hating, aren't they?

8timechamps
9/16/2012, 05:19 PM
They are up there with Mizzou and orange aggy as far as Sooner hating, aren't they?

Lately, they haven't been as bad. That'll happen when your team sucks.

They absolutely hate Nebraska, which is kinda funny because Colorado considered Nebraska their rival, but Nebraska fans don't. By far the worst fans (in person, at the stadium) I've ever been around.

9/16/2012, 05:32 PM
Lately, they haven't been as bad. That'll happen when your team sucks.

They absolutely hate Nebraska, which is kinda funny because Colorado considered Nebraska their rival, but Nebraska fans don't. By far the worst fans (in person, at the stadium) I've ever been around.they'll never get over the '90's, when CU was actually good.

Sooner98
9/16/2012, 05:53 PM
I'm sure the PAC 12 is thrilled to have them representing their conference, and that they were (reportedly) responsible for vetoing OU and OSU from joining.

8timechamps
9/16/2012, 07:06 PM
I'm sure the PAC 12 is thrilled to have them representing their conference, and that they were (reportedly) responsible for vetoing OU and OSU from joining.

Really? I live in Colorado, and never heard that. Of course who can blame them, they had just gotten away from OU and the years of getting beat, probably didn't want any more of it. The Sooners are 40-17-2 all time against the lowly Buffs.

Statalyzer
9/16/2012, 07:07 PM
Hopefully this will silence the last few voices trying to say the Big 12 lost more than it gained the past few years.

By far the worst fans (in person, at the stadium) I've ever been around.

I can believe it. Lot of schools have 2 or 3 other schools who call them the worst fans ever, but I've probably heard at least one person from all other 11 of the old Big 12 schools say that about Colorado.

King Crimson
9/16/2012, 07:19 PM
CU has a core group of longtime season ticket holders that are great fans. however, most CU fans these days are McCartney era wankers who are either or pushing 40 and have this over-inflated sense of their place in football history.

CU has a nice history, top 30 all-time type program....but their fans don't know much about anything else. i've lived in Denver or Boulder for 20 years and it's like a black hole. no light escapes....CU fans are really xenophobic and the strangers are knowing ANYTHING about the rest of college football. they don't care. it's weird. i've never understood it. stopped trying, too.

and to be fair, the Denver Bronco media lovefest is 24/7 and as if to compensate....the Denver sports "journalists" beat up on CU any chance they get.

anyhoo, i don't think anyone is playing worse football than Colorado right now. i mean, wow. 55-7 at halftime. they lost to Sacramento State in Boulder. wow.

you just can't keep making nostalgia hires. never plays.

VA Sooner
9/16/2012, 07:20 PM
Colorado has been going down for years... beginning with ousting of their decent coach a few years back for a scandal.

Big deal.

King Crimson
9/16/2012, 07:24 PM
Colorado has been going down for years... beginning with ousting of their decent coach a few years back for a scandal.

Big deal.

Gary Barnett won the Big 10 and the Big XII. a pretty short list of guys who have won two different BCS type conference titles.

8timechamps
9/16/2012, 07:29 PM
CU has a core group of longtime season ticket holders that are great fans. however, most CU fans these days are McCartney era wankers who are either or pushing 40 and have this over-inflated sense of their place in football history.

CU has a nice history, top 30 all-time type program....but their fans don't know much about anything else. i've lived in Denver or Boulder for 20 years and it's like a black hole. no light escapes....CU fans are really xenophobic and the strangers are knowing ANYTHING about the rest of college football. they don't care. it's weird. i've never understood it. stopped trying, too.

You summed it up quite well in those two paragraphs. CU fans, longtime fans, are different than any other fans I've interacted with.

King Crimson
9/16/2012, 07:34 PM
You summed it up quite well in those two paragraphs. CU fans, longtime fans, are different than any other fans I've interacted with.

you know i used to make an effort to walk around the CU campus area on Saturay mornings. nice autumn mornings...just to see the visiting team fans out and about. weirdo KSU fans in their purple tracks suits etc. i would approach them, offer advice on where to get a good breakfast...have a beer before or after the game. local perspective.

old Big 8 team fans. once i told them i was on OU fan...they'd give me this look like "ok, this guy is safe and being genuine".

soonerboy_odanorth
9/16/2012, 07:37 PM
They hired their John Blake......a former alum NFL position coach who came cheap after still paying off the buyout of Barnett and the new buyout of Hawkins. The odd thing is their OC (Eric Bieniemy) is paid the same as the HC (Jon Embree).

They are so bad they make Fairbanks 1980 team look decent, it was 55-7 at the half. This excerpt from the AP story (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fresno-state-rolls-past-winless-034838060--ncaaf.html) pretty much says how bad they are

Heh. Bienemy. That HACK! Worthless.

The only reason he isn't with the Vikings organization anymore is because AD was either going to convince the Wilfs to fire his ***, or he was going to strangle him to death with his bare hands.

Guy was famous for screaming at guys for screw ups, and word is behind the scenes he didn't have the first clue about teaching and coaching.

I guarantee you he is part of the problem. I hope CU experiences nothing but failure.

And yeah, their fans are horrible. Even though for my money the Taco Tech fans play in their zip code for sure.

Plexis22
9/16/2012, 07:40 PM
The Denver, and Colorado, market is very much dominated by pro sports especially the Broncos. With Peyton Manning and a decent team they are all over the Broncos, and few care much about the dismal college teams. That being said CU has been good before, and with the right coach can be good again. It's not hard to recruit to Boulder (one of the nicest college settings anywhere) and they have nice facilities with the plan to build a new athletic center and indoor practice...at least that was the plan, who knows what happens with the team currently doing so poorly. No matter what happens they will still play second fiddle to the Broncos, and sometimes even the Avalanche and Rockies, during the fall season in Colorado.

Air Force has been the only consistently decent team in the state. Go figure.

8timechamps
9/16/2012, 07:41 PM
you know i used to make an effort to walk around the CU campus area on Saturay mornings. nice autumn mornings...just to see the visiting team fans out and about. weirdo KSU fans in their purple tracks suits etc. i would approach them, offer advice on where to get a good breakfast...have a beer before or after the game. local perspective.

old Big 8 team fans. once i told them i was on OU fan...they'd give me this look like "ok, this guy is safe and being genuine".

CU may be horrible in football, but you really can't beat the campus. I was just up there last Wednesday, and you'd never know it was football season.

8timechamps
9/16/2012, 07:48 PM
Heh. Bienemy. That HACK! Worthless.

The only reason he isn't with the Vikings organization anymore is because AD was either going to convince the Wilfs to fire his ***, or he was going to strangle him to death with his bare hands.

Guy was famous for screaming at guys for screw ups, and word is behind the scenes he didn't have the first clue about teaching and coaching.

I guarantee you he is part of the problem. I hope CU experiences nothing but failure.

And yeah, their fans are horrible. Even though for my money the Taco Tech fans play in their zip code for sure.

Funny, I was having this conversation with someone today. Bienemy was one heck of a college player, but I'm really not sure he knows how to coach. I think Embree brought him along to CU because 1)They're good friends, and 2) to try and recapture that "we played at CU, so we love the program like nobody else would" thing.

He interviewed for the head coaching job, but it was Embree that won it...and I'll bet you that he thinks of himself more as a "Co-head coach" than an assistant. And that NEVER works.

King Crimson
9/16/2012, 08:18 PM
Bienemy was actually banned from the CU campus for a time. hardly a model citizen as a player.

people change and my understanding is EB has a kid with some kind of brain problem...so, that will make you adult pretty quick....i'd guess.

but when your coaching qualifications are being Adrian Peterson's running back coach....you wonder a bit. i don't think there's a lot of teaching moments there.

Bienemy was a very good college running back on good teams. but, he was no AD.

bluedogok
9/16/2012, 08:29 PM
I don't really blame them, they look like they have regressed since last season.

I would have to say they are the worst FBS team in the country. Embarrassing.
I don't know about the worst overall but definitely the worst team that is in an AQ conference.

9/16/2012, 10:55 PM
I would not want to look at the schedule if was on the CU team, and contemplate the games with the Nikes, the Condoms and the Trees. Even the UCLA and Cal Bears.

tycat947
9/16/2012, 11:30 PM
The Denver, and Colorado, market is very much dominated by pro sports especially the Broncos. With Peyton Manning and a decent team they are all over the Broncos, and few care much about the dismal college teams. That being said CU has been good before, and with the right coach can be good again. It's not hard to recruit to Boulder (one of the nicest college settings anywhere) and they have nice facilities with the plan to build a new athletic center and indoor practice...at least that was the plan, who knows what happens with the team currently doing so poorly. No matter what happens they will still play second fiddle to the Broncos, and sometimes even the Avalanche and Rockies, during the fall season in Colorado.

Air Force has been the only consistently decent team in the state. Go figure.

I agree. I lived in Denver from 1994 thru 2005 and the Donkeys (Broncos) dominate all sports in the area in spite of the success of the Avalanche and also having the Rockies and No-guts! CU is way down the list in importance. Part of their problem is lack of money. They don't really have a huge number of donors for their athletic programs. Their facilities are ok and not outstanding. CEC (Coors Events Center) was terrible for being relatively new (I think they've updated some since I left in 2005). Most of the sports they have don't require much in the way of facilities (no baseball, no softball, no wrestling). And their fans are some of the most rude I've ever experienced. So, I hope the lose every game they play unless it would benefit us for them to win!

8timechamps
9/17/2012, 03:47 PM
I agree. I lived in Denver from 1994 thru 2005 and the Donkeys (Broncos) dominate all sports in the area in spite of the success of the Avalanche and also having the Rockies and No-guts! CU is way down the list in importance. Part of their problem is lack of money. They don't really have a huge number of donors for their athletic programs. Their facilities are ok and not outstanding. CEC (Coors Events Center) was terrible for being relatively new (I think they've updated some since I left in 2005). Most of the sports they have don't require much in the way of facilities (no baseball, no softball, no wrestling). And their fans are some of the most rude I've ever experienced. So, I hope the lose every game they play unless it would benefit us for them to win!

Hasn't changed since you left. It may be worse now.

When CU was in the Big XII, the media would do a little effort in reporting, and when CU first joined the PAC, there was a little coverage. Now, about all you get on TV from the sports department is "aaaaand CU lost today by a score of...", and an occasional human interest story in the newspaper. The Broncos are 99% of the coverage (especially now that Manning is here).

tycat947
9/17/2012, 04:44 PM
Hasn't changed since you left. It may be worse now.

When CU was in the Big XII, the media would do a little effort in reporting, and when CU first joined the PAC, there was a little coverage. Now, about all you get on TV from the sports department is "aaaaand CU lost today by a score of...", and an occasional human interest story in the newspaper. The Broncos are 99% of the coverage (especially now that Manning is here).

I can only imagine!!! :)

BTW, I peaked in on a CU forum and they are all wanting to fire Embree and hire.....drum roll please!...............JIM TRESSEL!!!:highly_amused:

jkjsooner
9/17/2012, 04:52 PM
They are never coming back. Historically irrelevant programs need to capitalize on their rare success to move to the next level, and Colorado didn't capitalize on their success during the late 90's and early 2000s'.

I would say that was early to mid '90s. Even though they did play for a conference championship in the 2000's, that team was nowhere near as talented as their early '90s teams.

In 2002 I remember remarking to some guys how it had been since the '80s since we had beaten CU. The guys I was talking to couldn't believe it. CU was nowhere near as good as the McCartney teams (though much better than they are now) and OU had been back to the top but we didn't play a very good game in 1999 (our lesser Woods CB getting burned) and didn't play them in 2000 or 2001.

I hated CU back in the early '90s. They had the same disease that KSU fans had later in that decade. They just couldn't handle success.

That being said, they were darn good. They had no problem taking on the big boys (Miami, Michigan, etc) back in the day.

9/17/2012, 04:55 PM
I would say that was early to mid '90s. Even though they did play for a conference championship in the 2000's, that team was nowhere near as talented as their early '90s teams.

I hated CU back then. They had the same disease that KSU fans had later in that decade. They just couldn't handle success.

That being said, they were darn good. They had no problem taking on the big boys (Miami, Michigan, etc) back in the day.Bill McCartney doesn't get enough recognition for his coaching, prolly because he was so unabashedly Christian.

SoonerNomad
9/17/2012, 05:11 PM
I believe CU's ugly demise into complete oblibivion started with the recruiting and sex scandal at the end of the Barnett days. The administration was so embarrassed at letting things get out of hand that they have completely gone the other way and made recruiting so hard that CU an no longer get enough quality players to compete with other schools their size. You have to have rules, but you can't make them so pervasive that you cannot recruit anyone that can play on a high level.

cleller
9/17/2012, 05:42 PM
Obviously, Embree will be gone before long, and the school will be even more in the red financially trying to get rid of him. Can't imagine what the odds would be of getting a winning coach to come there.
They've got a crap reputation, a not much interested fan base, lousy recruiting area, and on and on. Assuming they don't have a change in ADs, how would whoever hired Embree be able to find, much less lure some future hot shot there? He better start looking for football coaches that love to hike or ski.

Soonerwake
9/17/2012, 11:10 PM
McCartney doesn't get credit for his coaching because it's not deserved. He could recruit, and had athletes all over the place. Of course, the relative lack of recruiting control during those times was well documented and certainly didn't hurt.

picasso
9/17/2012, 11:27 PM
I'm glad they're gone. That football stadium and campus is better served hosting Dave Matthews and trippin' on acid.

agoo758
9/18/2012, 12:52 AM
I believe CU's ugly demise into complete oblibivion started with the recruiting and sex scandal at the end of the Barnett days. The administration was so embarrassed at letting things get out of hand that they have completely gone the other way and made recruiting so hard that CU an no longer get enough quality players to compete with other schools their size. You have to have rules, but you can't make them so pervasive that you cannot recruit anyone that can play on a high level.

I'm sorry but I find it tough to buy into that **** kicker's story. "I was raped in the locker room, and I am so traumatized about it, that I'm going to spend years touring the country telling everyone about it and making off of it."

My condolensces for Gary Barnett, a very underrated coach who was forced into a social experiment in hippy Boulder, who finally let her go because she couldn't hit a damn kick, when he finally snapped and said "she sucked!, it has nothing to do with her being a woman idiots!"

Seamus
9/18/2012, 03:48 AM
Geez. Put a bandage on those scraped knuckles ...

70sooner
9/18/2012, 06:33 AM
Jon Ebmree=John Blake.

Pretty simple, really.

Statalyzer
9/18/2012, 09:39 AM
Even though they did play for a conference championship in the 2000's

They may have been in a couple of championship games in the mid 2000s, but they didn't really play for them. :sneakiness:

Mississippi Sooner
9/18/2012, 09:49 AM
They may have been in a couple of championship games in the mid 2000s, but they didn't really play for them. :sneakiness:

At least they ruined things for the whorns in 2001. Which was nice.

badger
9/18/2012, 10:07 AM
At least they ruined things for the whorns in 2001. Which was nice.

Was 2001 the year that started the Holiday Bowl trend for them, where their home-away-from-home was San Diego?

With all due disrespect to the whorns, you could have a lot worse second home than San Diego as far as bowls go. I think we'd never let them get over it if it was Shreveport or Boise or something like that :mack:

Mississippi Sooner
9/18/2012, 10:26 AM
Was 2001 the year that started the Holiday Bowl trend for them, where their home-away-from-home was San Diego?

With all due disrespect to the whorns, you could have a lot worse second home than San Diego as far as bowls go. I think we'd never let them get over it if it was Shreveport or Boise or something like that :mack:

Yep, started a trend that should have continued through 2004, but Mack got up and whined until they let them into the Rose Bowl in place of a more deserving Cal team.

badger
9/18/2012, 10:45 AM
Yep, started a trend that should have continued through 2004, but Mack got up and whined until they let them into the Rose Bowl in place of a more deserving Cal team.

Before you give Cal too much credit, Mikey's Tekkers beat them in the Holiday Bowl that postseason. I know it was a letdown bowl, but c'mon, win the one you go to in order to prove your point that you belonged elsewhere.

Mississippi Sooner
9/18/2012, 10:52 AM
Before you give Cal too much credit, Mikey's Tekkers beat them in the Holiday Bowl that postseason. I know it was a letdown bowl, but c'mon, win the one you go to in order to prove your point that you belonged elsewhere.

Oh, I remember it. In fact, the Cal quarterback seemed to be the most ticked off and, some say, he pretty much mailed it in at the Holiday Bowl. I think his name was Aaron something or other.

Those were just rumors, of course.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/18/2012, 12:49 PM
Hopefully this will silence the last few voices trying to say the Big 12 lost more than it gained the past few years.

By far the worst fans (in person, at the stadium) I've ever been around.

I can believe it. Lot of schools have 2 or 3 other schools who call them the worst fans ever, but I've probably heard at least one person from all other 11 of the old Big 12 schools say that about Colorado.

Colorado has the worst fans ever. OSU is second but they have a reason to act like tools albeit a crappy one. Colorado fans are the worst. Far worse than LSU.

MountainOkie
9/18/2012, 01:17 PM
Colorado has the worst fans ever.

I'm in total agreement. Of course that makes their current troubles even sweeter!

8timechamps
9/18/2012, 01:31 PM
McCartney doesn't get credit for his coaching because it's not deserved. He could recruit, and had athletes all over the place. Of course, the relative lack of recruiting control during those times was well documented and certainly didn't hurt.

There is a group of CU fans/alums/boosters that pushed for McCartney back when they were searching for a coach. That same group is getting more vocal now. It will be entertaining to follow.

9/18/2012, 01:35 PM
McCartney doesn't get credit for his coaching because it's not deserved. He could recruit, and had athletes all over the place. Of course, the relative lack of recruiting control during those times was well documented and certainly didn't hurt.haha. They were at the top of the conference, and a national power, during his tenure.

Scott D
9/18/2012, 05:40 PM
They were only at the top of the conference because of the NCAA slapping OU down.

85sooners
9/18/2012, 06:25 PM
buffs suck

9/18/2012, 07:05 PM
They were only at the top of the conference because of the NCAA slapping OU down.I know what you mean, that opened the door. But mcCartney came through, and produced quality football at CU. OU could have allowed Gibbs only 3 or 4 yrs., instead of 6, and Schnellsobourbon was a bust, as was Blake.

9/18/2012, 07:08 PM
It wouldn't be all bad if they got McCartney back, and he succeeded again. We don't have to play them, and CU MIGHT get some talent out of CA, whisking it away from those condoms of troy.

BoomerJ
9/18/2012, 10:02 PM
Don't miss them.

stoopified
9/19/2012, 09:39 PM
Sucks.....sorry I thought this was word association