PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Landry atricle from foxsportssouthwest.com

Mazeppa
9/13/2012, 08:26 PM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/09/13/12/Jones-off-to-shaky-start-to-season-for-S/landing_big12.html?blockID=789841&feedID=4519

I Am Right
9/13/2012, 08:56 PM
Good Read

cleller
9/13/2012, 09:09 PM
Landry is streaky. Can be hot or cold. I think what this article is picking on is due more to receivers that are still settling in. Landry looks comfortable and more mature to me, anyway.

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 09:21 PM
Pretty close to the mark.

Landry hasn't been the same since KSU last year. Hopefully, he'll be back to that level next weekend.

MojoRisen
9/14/2012, 08:41 AM
Hopefully Landry doesn't read into this stuff about his TD's - clearly the Dozer took away at least 6 last year... He just needs to get better every week with the recievers and I think that is happening... We need to protect better and I think that will happen as well, looking for a big game against KSTATE..

Breadburner
9/14/2012, 09:05 AM
K-State will be won or lost in the trenches.....

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/14/2012, 09:34 AM
meh

We mop the floor with K-State.

8timechamps
9/14/2012, 11:44 AM
meh

We mop the floor with K-State.

I agree.

sooneron
9/14/2012, 02:02 PM
I've counted at LEAST 11 drops through the first few games. One was Stills that would have been a TD last week- it hit him on the #4. Landry seems pretty settled this year, even more so than last. He needs to stop pressing downfield and look for the short intermediate routes. On another note, his arm strength is hella good this year. He's throwing some very pro quality passes.

PalmBeachSooner
9/14/2012, 02:07 PM
He has weak knees which is a direct result of the newlywed syndrome. I blame Whitney!

EatLeadCommie
9/14/2012, 03:10 PM
Pretty much spot-on. Landry is going to be an idiot at least a couple times a game, which is why he won't translate into a good NFL QB (or probably anything other than a backup or practice squad guy). But as long as he can be great for extended stretches, we should be ok. The problem is he hasn't been the same since Broyles went down. And let's face it, Broyles was his crutch. I'd be very curious to see how many of LJ's yards Broyles accounted for over his first 3 years. I was happy to see LJ seem to develop some chemistry last week against FAMU, but we'll see how that holds up against real competition.

goingoneight
9/14/2012, 05:25 PM
I don't buy into that mentality completely. Basically, a catchable pass to Ryan Broyles is a catchable pass to anybody else. Broyles does more than the average receiver, yes... but the average receiver doesn't routinely drop passes or run inconsistent routes. Everything in 2012 is off to a slow start, IMO. We're not protecting Landry OR Bell yet as good as we have in recent years (I think the new OTs has a lot to do with that). We're not even making the routine plays consistently yet. Justin Brown's missed block on the bubble screen that got Whaley blown up is a prime example. How is that Landry's fault?

Landry is solid if not spectacular most of the time. He'll probably go down as the most under appreciated QB of all time if he has anything shy of a Heisman and a MNC this year. Sure, he backpedals often and forces throws occasionally... but every good QB we have had does that. I saw a highlight video on YouTube of every play Sam Bradford has against Florida. You know, it's shocking how much in that game Sam looked like #12. Amazing what happens under pressure and when guys around you aren't executing.

EatLeadCommie
9/14/2012, 05:59 PM
The numbers don't lie. There is no question that LJ's game fell off considerably when Broyles went down and no question that he relied on him heavily through the first 2 1/2 seasons of his career. Now we can sit here and speculate and say that the other WRs need to step it up or the WR coaching needs to improve or that Broyles was one-of-a-kind and all of that might be true. However, Landry is now a 4 year starter. It is incumbent upon him to step up his game. It's not like we have a bunch of scrubs at our wideout position. Drops will happen. Knuckleheadedness will happen. He still should be functioning at a higher level right now than he is. Personally, I'd feel better if we had one more week against a creampuff to iron out wrinkles rather than a bye week after just two games.

MamaMia
9/14/2012, 06:43 PM
I think Landry will work out all the kinks. I wasn't happy about having 2 byes so soon but after seeing us play, maybe its a good thing?

sooneron
9/14/2012, 09:26 PM
Pretty much spot-on. Favre is going to be an idiot at least a couple times a game, which is why he won't translate into a good NFL QB (or probably anything other than a backup or practice squad guy). But as long as he can be great for extended stretches, we should be ok.

See how that works?

Not saying that Landry is Favre, but it's easy to replace one with the other in your line of "thinking".

picasso
9/14/2012, 11:19 PM
The numbers don't lie. There is no question that LJ's game fell off considerably when Broyles went down and no question that he relied on him heavily through the first 2 1/2 seasons of his career. Now we can sit here and speculate and say that the other WRs need to step it up or the WR coaching needs to improve or that Broyles was one-of-a-kind and all of that might be true. However, Landry is now a 4 year starter. It is incumbent upon him to step up his game. It's not like we have a bunch of scrubs at our wideout position. Drops will happen. Knuckleheadedness will happen. He still should be functioning at a higher level right now than he is. Personally, I'd feel better if we had one more week against a creampuff to iron out wrinkles rather than a bye week after just two games.
Numbers don't tell the entire story either. We had zero running game at the end of last season. Couple that with the loss of our best wideout and I can't imagine too many QB's tearing it up for us down the stretch.
He could have played better yes, but I'm not putting it all on Landry.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/14/2012, 11:20 PM
Blecchh. Another article about Landry saying the same crap.

Landry is a great QB. Receivers dropped a ton of balls and we had no running game last year. Broyles and Whaley were very important. After their injuries the team couldnt get it going blaming Landry is ridiculous.

Even so we lost 2 games by a small margin and could have been a one loss team. Easily.

Mazeppa
9/14/2012, 11:39 PM
Blecchh. Another article about Landry saying the same crap.

Landry is a great QB. Receivers dropped a ton of balls and we had no running game last year. Broyles and Whaley were very important. After their injuries the team couldnt get it going blaming Landry is ridiculous.

Even so we lost 2 games by a small margin and could have been a one loss team. Easily.

Landry is an above average quarterback, not a great quarterback, the majority of his passes are very seldom right on target. They are mostly behind the receiver or higher than they should be. That's just the way he's always been. That's the way he'll always be.

EatLeadCommie
9/15/2012, 01:59 AM
Numbers don't tell the entire story either. We had zero running game at the end of last season. Couple that with the loss of our best wideout and I can't imagine too many QB's tearing it up for us down the stretch.
He could have played better yes, but I'm not putting it all on Landry.

We had zero running game because opposing defenses knew LJ would be challenged with his passing game. That makes it worse, actually. Play the run because you know he won't kill you with the pass. No Broyles = Scared LJ

EatLeadCommie
9/15/2012, 02:03 AM
See how that works?

Not saying that Landry is Favre, but it's easy to replace one with the other in your line of "thinking".

Fine, then let's say Landry is Peyton Manning, who just started playing for Denver and yet somehow had enough chemistry last week to do ok with a bunch of receivers he doesn't know. No, Landry isn't Peyton Manning, but as a veteran of the college game with much weaker players, shouldn't that translate to being a veteran of the NFL game?

See how that works?

cccasooner2
9/15/2012, 09:51 AM
The new OU mantra: "You will grade out in a great way."

prrriiide
9/15/2012, 10:01 AM

Of course his stats went down alongside Broyles. I've watched football for a little while now, and Broyles was one of the best I've ever seen at the college level at getting separation. Factor into that the number of reps those two had together over 2-1/2 years of games, practices, 7-on-7, and just tossing the ball around. For Jones, having Broyles was like muscle memory - he didn't have to think about how Broyles would react in a given situation. He already knew.

You can't just plug anyone else into that situation and expect the same chemistry between the players. But we're starting to see that chemistry develop between Landry and Kenny, and as he becomes more comfortable with Brown, Shepard, Neal, and all of the others, you'll see him start tot think less and react more. With Broyles, Landry could (to an extent) let his subconscious take over and just DO IT automatically. Not so with the newer guys, because he hasn't had all that time with them that he had with Broyles, even before Sam's injury.

It's not about WR play, necessarily, or about WR coaching, or about Landry stepping up his game. All of those are at a really high level right now. It's about the chemistry and sync between Landry and the people around him and a comfort zone that allows his play to be automatic and more of a reaction than an analysis.

Oh, and good offensive line play will cure a multitude of ills at the QB position.

King Crimson
9/15/2012, 10:29 AM
the author of this article went to Norman High. he's being honest without being a homer. maybe to a fault. also stylizing a bit for reader flourish. Landry in the RZ is not Sam. we all know that. Sam Bradford Sooners in the RZ was freakish. OL was much better. Gresham.

Landry gets hit a lot more than Sam too.

MojoRisen
9/15/2012, 10:33 AM
Kenny looked a lot better in the middle of the field last week, it is a big adjustment for him - I think he will have 1300+ yards this year..

picasso
9/15/2012, 11:15 AM
We had zero running game because opposing defenses knew LJ would be challenged with his passing game. That makes it worse, actually. Play the run because you know he won't kill you with the pass. No Broyles = Scared LJ
I don't buy that. We've had a better than average passing game for years now with no meaningful threat running the ball. See, you can spin that however you wish.

picasso
9/15/2012, 11:17 AM
Landry is an above average quarterback, not a great quarterback, the majority of his passes are very seldom right on target. They are mostly behind the receiver or higher than they should be. That's just the way he's always been. That's the way he'll always be.
He's streaky but I would never say he's SELDOM on target. That's just silly. The games he's hot in (ksu '11, oSu '10) his passes were nowhere near being off.

GameWarden
9/15/2012, 11:37 AM
I'm gonna take a slightly different tack here.
Jones is an above average QB who's stats have been padded by the bubble screen and the swing pass. But I think Jones inconsistency is a factor. Probably affects his receivers as well.