PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska fan has "buyers remorse"

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 01:34 PM
Badger has mentioned it a couple of times in her posts, but until now, I hadn't actually seen it. This was an email sent to the Omaha newspaper from a Husker fan. (Here's the link to the site: click me (http://sports.omaha.com/2012/09/12/mad-chatter-sept-12/))

Here's the email (the author makes some pretty valid points IMO):

I don’t know if it’s still lingering depression from the UCLA game or seeing what the rest of Big 10 looks like this year, but I’m starting to finally lament the fact Nebraska left the Big 12 as it stands today. What if just Mizzou, Colorado, and A&M left and we stayed. Then throw in TCU. Now you have ten teams in the Big 12 like this season but the Huskers are in there. How much do you think fans would kill to see this slate of games annually?

I know we all hate Texas, but man if we had stayed, the OU rivalry would be back on an annual basis, and we would get that shot at Texas every year, along with our old Big 8 friends KSU & Okie-State. Heck, look at what it would be if just Colorado and A&M bailed. Throw out TCU & put Mizzou back in the mix. I know it was a good move for the university financially and academically, but you can’t honestly say as a fan you are psyched week in and week out for the fixed schedule we have in the Big 10 (yawn) vs. would could have been now if Nebraska stayed in the Big 12.

There’s no one to hate in the Big 10. That is a problem. There are plenty of characters(villains) to hate back in the Big 12, and that just fueled the passion of the fan base. I’m starting to see more and more of an apathetic outlook from Nebraska fans. I think a lot has to do with not having any teams in our current conference to focus the hate towards. … I loved that Mizzou, KSU and even KU hated Nebraska. I loved the back and forth with their fan bases. That passion and spirited debate seems to be dissipating every week and every season, and that is sad to see. Now we just debate among ourselves about how bad or good we really are more so than at any time I can remember the last 30 years.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but as I run through this in my head the more frustrated I get. For a man as reserved and patient as Dr. Tom appears to be, I’m surprised he didn’t step back and play out what I presented above in more of a long range outlook. Maybe he did. But if he did and this is what we are left with, then wow. That would be a huge fail. Leaving because of the Texas threat or perceived threat is kind of weak looking back. Our best revenge on Texas for me would have been staying the course in Big 12 (the TV money was eventually coming) and start earning respect on the football field and start beating them at a more consistent pace than 1 out every 9 tries.

If you can get buyer’s remorse from switching conferences I think Nebraska will start to finally feel that this season. To reference Eugene Levi (car salesman) speaking with Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) at the car dealership in the beginning of “Vacation”- he thought he was getting the blue sports wagon, but ended up with the Wagon Queen Family Truckster. “You may hate it now, but wait ‘til you drive it”. In the case of the Big 10 it’s the opposite- “You may love it now, but wait ‘til you drive it.

sooneredaco
9/13/2012, 02:03 PM
Much of the same will be coming from Mizzery and ATM soon. So how long before we start our own Big 12 chant? ;)

BigTip
9/13/2012, 02:09 PM
This does my heart good to read. lol.

But they all will develop rivalries in time. All it will take will be an opposing coach to say some disparaging remark, or for a highly prized recruit to get stolen out from under them, or for the fans at some away game to do something stupid, and boom! a rivalry will be born.

In a way though it does make me sad about the changes.

Jacie
9/13/2012, 02:34 PM
For the nebbish to develop what the above referenced fan is talking about would take about a decade of domination over their Big 10 opponents, a string of conference championships and to be considered year in and year out for the BCS championship, something that does not look to be on the horizon for our former rival.

In other words, they forsook tradition and followed (what they perceived to be) the money.

Now, at least, one fan of the Big Red sees the amount money they receive from the Big 10 compared to what they would have received as a member of the Big 12 is a wash but the tradition is gone with the wind.

Suck it, nebbish!

Sooner in Tampa
9/13/2012, 02:36 PM
HAHAHAHA...fu&k the children of the corn...good riddance crybabies!!

HToady
9/13/2012, 02:51 PM
Not playing annually in talent rich Texas and losing that recruiting advantage will only help in their downward spiral.

See Arkansas' success upon leaving the SWC

Too bad.

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 03:46 PM
Not playing annually in talent rich Texas and losing that recruiting advantage will only help in their downward spiral.

See Arkansas' success upon leaving the SWC

Too bad.

Yep. I'm not so sure that was considered in the move. I'm sure a lot of time and effort went into the move, but I'm thinking someone thought they would still be able to keep things (such as recruiting) the same. The bottom line is that most of the country views the B1G as slow, boring football. If you're Nebraska, what do you have to offer a recruit from Texas? Tradition maybe, but that's becoming a harder sell for them year after losing year.

MamaMia
9/13/2012, 05:36 PM
When Nebraska left our conference, they said farewell to any traditional rivalries they had going on. It started out as a knee jerk reaction that was explained away with a bunch of empty reasoning and whining. It was a big mistake and that fact is coming to fruition sooner than I thought it would. Such as in life, there will still be a lot of huskers not willing to admit that it was a mistake though. I say "good riddance' to them. We are now the ONLY true BIG Red in this conference.

goingoneight
9/13/2012, 05:48 PM
We always were the only Big Red in this conference. :P

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 05:52 PM
When Nebraska left our conference, they said farewell to any traditional rivalries they had going on. It started out as a knee jerk reaction that was explained away with a bunch of empty reasoning and whining. It was a big mistake and that fact is coming to fruition sooner than I thought it would. Such as in life, there will still be a lot of huskers not willing to admit that it was a mistake though. I say "good riddance' to them. We are now the ONLY true BIG Red in this conference.

I mourned the loss of the rivalry when the Big XII split divisions. By the time the Huskers left the conference, I was over it. Now, I just hope they lose every game they ever play.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2012, 06:16 PM
There would be no fan remorse if they were mowing down the big10 competition. Likewise, there would be similar regrets if they had stayed and continued to be owned by the big12 south. "We should have gone the big10 when we had a chance!!".

redkid
9/13/2012, 07:03 PM
tradition rich rivalries are born over decades,,sorry to say neb will never see that again in our lifetimes

StoopTroup
9/13/2012, 07:33 PM
Much of the same will be coming from Mizzery and ATM soon. So how long before we start our own Big 12 chant? ;)

Remind them quick that only Nebraska will be allowed to come back as they are the only one close to having a football Team.

tycat947
9/13/2012, 07:48 PM
There would be no fan remorse if they were mowing down the big10 competition. Likewise, there would be similar regrets if they had stayed and continued to be owned by the big12 south. "We should have gone the big10 when we had a chance!!".

You nailed it!

birddog
9/13/2012, 08:16 PM
gotta believe in time nebbish will gain tosu, wisky, and michigan/st. in the future. it'll take em time to develop, and i hope they fail. but i can see these teams goin at it on level terms for most seasons to come. mizzou will be a@m and vandy's rival. sounds fun.

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 09:12 PM
When I watch Nebraska play, it reminds me just how good of a job Stoops did when he got to Norman. Nebraska has never really recovered from sucking.

OUmillenium
9/13/2012, 09:21 PM
I'll say it again. OU dominated Nebrasska my whole life ( almost 40 years ) except for the mid90s when the Schooner was being driven by a variety of failbots in the form of coaches and administration. As soon as Stoops righted the conestoga ship, Nebrasska was back to fail. I miss kicking their asss. Cmon back huskers and get some.

MamaMia
9/13/2012, 09:53 PM
This whole thing about them leaving started over a game they said they lost because of bad calls, and then they started whining about Texas having their own network. Before you knew it, all of a sudden they were saying they were leaving over money. Yeah, whatever. :tongue:

All I know is that we ended up having to play in stinkin' Stoolwater 2 years in a row because of their sorry a****, thank you very much. So screw 'em.

bluedogok
9/13/2012, 10:31 PM
When I watch Nebraska play, it reminds me just how good of a job Stoops did when he got to Norman. Nebraska has never really recovered from sucking.
I guess we have seen how that whole "not let Nebraska gravitate into mediocrity" thing worked out. All I know is unlike the Aggies that I knew who were giddy at the prospect of moving out of the Whorns shadow the Nebraska fans that I knew weren't too happy about moving to the B1G.

SunnySooner
9/13/2012, 11:01 PM
Tell 'em come on back...we'll play that Tgiving conference game in Norman, for fun, it's warmer...spot 'em 17 points, 'cause we're just friendly like that. :biggrin:

Oh and, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!! Losers...UCLA!?!?!? I didn't know they still played football, I thought they just gave it up to SUC years ago.

yermom
9/13/2012, 11:05 PM
if they are competitive they will start hating tOSU, Michigan and Wisconsin soon enough

yermom
9/13/2012, 11:07 PM
Tell 'em come on back...we'll play that Tgiving conference game in Norman, for fun, it's warmer...spot 'em 17 points, 'cause we're just friendly like that. :biggrin:

Oh and, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!! Losers...UCLA!?!?!? I didn't know they still played football, I thought they just gave it up to SUC years ago.

the Unlikely Champs Losers Always kicked our *** a few years ago :(

SunnySooner
9/13/2012, 11:16 PM
the Unlikely Champs Losers Always kicked our *** a few years ago :(

Hey!!! Use your Schwarzenegger-esq recall for GOOD ****, YA MOE-RON!!!

;) :biggrin:

Blue
9/14/2012, 01:59 AM
All it takes these days is a marquee coach to get the recruits. See Saban and Meyer. Make the right hire and NU will be back in a couple of years.

Problem is those coaches only come around once in a generation.

sendbaht
9/14/2012, 03:11 AM
I wish Nebraska would have stayed in the Big 12 also....Just me!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/14/2012, 09:55 AM
Screw them and the other 3 teams that bailed. I hope they lose all their games. I love that Nebbish can't even compete in a gawd awful B1G!

Soonermagik
9/14/2012, 11:50 AM
The Big 10 is just an awful conference. I never saw the draw of leaving for any football reasons. I guess they saw it from an academic perspective.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2012, 01:23 PM
The Big 10 is just an awful conference. I never saw the draw of leaving for any football reasons. I guess they saw it from an academic perspective.

MSU is pretty good and it looks like Meyer will have tOSU back on top by the time probation ends. If Umich comes back and Wisky rebuilds, that would be a pretty strong basis for the conference. And of course, NU could pitch in and do their part. NU just needs to field an elite squad and they would be fine, but it's been quite a while now.

MyT Oklahoma
9/15/2012, 10:28 AM
I have no sympathy for any of them (i.e., Colorado, Nebraska, A & M and Mizzou). They are all big boys. Time to man up.

P.S. ROTFL at them though.

King Crimson
9/15/2012, 10:44 AM
i think the thing with NU people is that they didn't really understand how being covered in the Chicago pro sports media would be different than than the Big 8 media towns.

small time NU in a Bears/Bulls/Cubs town media center. OSU, Michigan. plains town is always different....huskers are used to being a big dog. they are a medium dog now.

i also think that original post might be fake. trollin.

Edmond Sooner
9/15/2012, 12:56 PM
I was following them over on Huskerboard.com during the UCLA meltdown - that's always good for a laugh or two. Anyway, after the game a few Nebraska fans were lamenting their departure from our conference on that board (though what difference that would've made to the Nebraska/UCLA game was never made clear), and there really wasn't much disagreement that it'd been a mistake other than from Buckeye fans who happened to be trolling their board that day. The Ohio State guys went nuts, making all kinds of wild claims about much better B1G is than the Big 12, how much more football tradition the teams in B1G had than anyone in the Big 12, etc., etc.

picasso
9/15/2012, 01:02 PM
I had a Michigan fan spout off to me at my fitness center years ago. Unprovoked, he started preaching to me about how much better Michigan and the Big 10 was than anything OU.

I thought to myself that the dude was still living in 1996.

soonergirlNeugene
9/15/2012, 02:51 PM
I also miss Nebraska and would love to have had them in a 10 team league where we get to play them every year. The thing is, if they hadn't left then we would probably still be at 12.

MamaMia
9/15/2012, 03:07 PM
I had a Michigan fan spout off to me at my fitness center years ago. Unprovoked, he started preaching to me about how much better Michigan and the Big 10 was than anything OU.

I thought to myself that the dude was still living in 1996.An OU shirt, visor or cap will provoke some strangers into confronting you in a good way, but sometimes in a not so good way. I've endured surprise attacks from an Arkansas Hog, a few Texas Tech Raiders, some horns and of course...LSU fans.

I know one thing...I will NEVER EVER go to another Sugar Bowl game if OU is playing LSU; no way, no how, not for any amount of money or all the tea in China,

picasso
9/15/2012, 04:15 PM
Oh I wasn't wearing anything OU or Big 12. He just needed to some neanderthal venting.

8timechamps
9/15/2012, 04:49 PM
i think the thing with NU people is that they didn't really understand how being covered in the Chicago pro sports media would be different than than the Big 8 media towns.

small time NU in a Bears/Bulls/Cubs town media center. OSU, Michigan. plains town is always different....huskers are used to being a big dog. they are a medium dog now.

i also think that original post might be fake. trollin.

If it was fake, then it was made-up by the journalist for the Omaha newspaper. I guess it's not beyond the realm of reason to think it could be fake.

Edit: If you click on the link I put in the original post, and scroll down to the comments section, you'll see that there are other NU fans that feel the same as the guy that wrote the email.