PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure I Agree With This...

sappstuf
9/12/2012, 08:07 PM
The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff called Terry Jones today asking him to withdraw his support for the film that might have caused the riots in Egypt.

I don't think it is the military's job to do something like that.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2012/09/12/obama-dempsey-jones/70000214/1#.UFExEI0iaSp

SouthCarolinaSooner
9/12/2012, 08:10 PM
The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff called Terry Jones today asking him to withdraw his support for the film that might have caused the riots in Egypt.

I don't think it is the military's job to do something like that.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2012/09/12/obama-dempsey-jones/70000214/1#.UFExEI0iaSp
Even if its personnel are in danger?

rock on sooner
9/12/2012, 08:13 PM
Sapp, I agree, the military shouldn't get involved, but IMHO, somebody
should "converse" with the Reverend and help him see the folly of his
ways. The man grieves for his 15 minutes...certainly can't be common
sense, almost as bad as Rev. Phelps...

sappstuf
9/12/2012, 08:16 PM
Even if its personnel are in danger?

Personnel are always in danger and no. Military shouldn't be telling law abiding citizens what they should or shouldn't be doing. There are plenty of other agencies that could do the job.

sappstuf
9/12/2012, 08:19 PM
Sapp, I agree, the military shouldn't get involved, but IMHO, somebody
should "converse" with the Reverend and help him see the folly of his
ways. The man grieves for his 15 minutes...certainly can't be common
sense, almost as bad as Rev. Phelps...

The reverend is a nut bag... This will only inflate his ego more.

olevetonahill
9/12/2012, 08:27 PM
Personnel are always in danger and no. Military shouldn't be telling law abiding citizens what they should or shouldn't be doing. There are plenty of other agencies that could do the job.

This^

There are other ways to get a request like that across with out it seeming to be all "Big Brotherish"

sappstuf
9/12/2012, 08:31 PM
Found this viewpoint.

Nobody in the U.S. government, least of all the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff acting in his official capacity, should be calling Terry Jones or any other American citizen about the Mohammed spoof. Not only does that elevate Jones to some sort of semi-official status, but spoofs of deities are entirely within our rights and absolutely no business of the government’s. The U.S. government should not be taking an official position on the Mohammed spoof. It is entirely outside the official competence of United States military to be calling private citizens asking them be quiet, especially when they are exercising a constitutional right. Offending people is not an incitement to violence. Otherwise I could get everyone who wears a Che Guevara t-shirt brought up on charges of incitement…

Meanwhile, members of Congress should formally protest General Dempsey’s phone call to Terry Jones. I know Petraeus did it when Terry Jones was going to burn some Korans, but he was wrong then and General Dempsey is wrong now. In their private capacity they can make whatever phone calls they want. In their official capacity they have no business making phone calls like this.

SoonerProphet
9/12/2012, 08:34 PM
Secretary Gates called the guy when he threatened to burn korans about a year ago. Didn't hear much fuss then, but it wasn't election season either.

FaninAma
9/12/2012, 08:40 PM
Tough dilemna(dilemma?). I understand why the military did it although I don't think it will matter to those who want some excuse(or none) to justify and act on their hatred for us. And it might even be taken as a sign of vassilation on our part.

At some point, the moderate muslims will have to make their presence known or run the risk of being classified along side of other mythical creatures like the Loch Ness monster.

yermom
9/12/2012, 08:40 PM
doesn't he have the freedom of speech to tell the guy he's an *******?

it's not like he's putting him in Guantanamo. he's not under arrest. he's just aware that the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs thinks he's an *******. his freedom is in tact.

sappstuf
9/12/2012, 08:44 PM
Secretary Gates called the guy when he threatened to burn korans about a year ago. Didn't hear much fuss then, but it wasn't election season either.

Read the last paragraph above your post...

sappstuf
9/12/2012, 08:46 PM
doesn't he have the freedom of speech to tell the guy he's an *******?

it's not like he's putting him in Guantanamo. he's not under arrest. he's just aware that the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs thinks he's an *******. his freedom is in tact.

He didn't call to tell him he is an *******. He called to tell him to stop doing something that he has the constitutional right to do.

olevetonahill
9/12/2012, 08:49 PM
He didn't call to tell him he is an *******. He called to tell him to stop doing something that he has the constitutional right to do.

Readin is hard sometimes Bro

yermom
9/12/2012, 08:55 PM
Readin is hard sometimes Bro

"The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, spoke by phone this morning with Pastor Terry Jones. In the brief call, Gen. Dempsey expressed his concerns over the nature of the film, the tensions it will inflame and the violence it will cause. He asked Mr. Jones to consider withdrawing his support for the film."

that sounds real threatening.

olevetonahill
9/12/2012, 08:58 PM

Never said anything about a threat Bro

All we sayin is That the Col. Can say and do whatever he wants to say or do with in reason when hes OUT OF UNIFORM, Its a whole nuther bag of chips when he does stuff in his Official capacity

SoonerProphet
9/12/2012, 09:01 PM
Read the last paragraph above your post...

ok, civilian vs. military. still think crying fire in a burning building is a bad idea, puts people in a mob mentality and all.

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 09:02 PM
After we lost personnel in Afghanistan for his burning of the muslims book....I don't see anything wrong with someone from the military or even a kid who just enlisted going over to talk with the "Preacher" and ask him to not endanger him or any American or Soldier.

Now if they are threatening to jail him for his use of free speech....that's another thing altogether.

As a "Man of God" I just don't follow preaching or producing written statements that inflame the feelings of another religion and their followers.

It would be like the Obama Camp running an ad campaign that it's wrong of the Republicans to nominate a Cult Member to be POTUS.

soonercruiser
9/12/2012, 09:15 PM

DUH!
The President or the Chairman of the military's Joint Chiefs of Staff of the United States of America calls you personally....and you wouldn't be intimidated!
Just plain dumb assessment of the situation!

Did the Joint Chiefs call Rev Wright to tell him to stop damning America?
Did they call Hillary to tell her and Obama that the "Arab Spring" would be a long, dark WINTER????!!!
:torn:

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 09:20 PM
What a bunch of crazy ramblings...

Some things don't require and shouldn't be debated because your still mad your Candidate lost in 2008.

olevetonahill
9/12/2012, 09:21 PM
Oh the Irony

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 09:23 PM
I know....it's obviously time to quit any serious discussion as to what we are hearing and reading about all of this and just start to roll our eyes.

sappstuf
9/12/2012, 09:32 PM
ok, civilian vs. military. still think crying fire in a burning building is a bad idea, puts people in a mob mentality and all.

There are things we can't do in uniform that might be strange. Going to a political rally for instance.. Can't do it. Gives the appearance that we are there in an official capacity.

OU_Sooners75
9/13/2012, 12:30 AM
Oh the Irony

+1

Curly Bill
9/13/2012, 07:48 AM
What a bunch of crazy ramblings...

Some things don't require and shouldn't be debated because your still mad your Candidate lost in 2008.

Get back on or get back off the medication. You need help.

Curly Bill
9/13/2012, 07:51 AM
I'd tell the Chairman to go **** himself if he called me with such a request.

olevetonahill
9/13/2012, 07:53 AM
I'd prolly Retire from posting on his message board

rock on sooner
9/13/2012, 07:54 AM
I'd prolly Retire from posting on his message board

Discretion IS the better part of valor...heh..

cleller
9/13/2012, 07:55 AM
At some point, the moderate muslims will have to make their presence known or run the risk of being classified along side of other mythical creatures like the Loch Ness monster.

At that the truth.

At least here we try to contain groups that would attack others. Of course, our response is also highly politically correct.