PDA

View Full Version : Sooner TV is official

badger
9/12/2012, 10:49 AM
Hopefully now we can watch OU for free and not $39.95 :mad:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120912_92_0_NORMAN913992)

Fraggle145
9/12/2012, 11:39 AM
Please never link the Tulsa World again. I am not paying those Aggy *******s for their ****ty rag. Any other links?

Fraggle145
9/12/2012, 11:42 AM
Here's a real link. **** Hoover and the Tulsa World right in the ***.

http://www.SoonerSports.com/genrel/091212aaa.html

MamaMia
9/12/2012, 11:47 AM
Well, we couldn't very well not get our own network with the horns having one. :D

...and yes, hopefully no more PPV games. What a hassle that was for those of us who were at the game and wanted the PPV as well.

badger
9/12/2012, 11:50 AM
Please never link the Tulsa World again.
I will if I don't see it elsewhere, otherwise I'll link SS.com or Newsok. :)

...and yes, hopefully no more PPV games. What a hassle that was for those of us who were at the game and wanted the PPV as well.
You did? Didn't they show the game for free on TV the next day?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/12/2012, 12:52 PM
This is freaking brilliant if you ask me. You air a block of programming on a network that already exists and you beat Texas in to the viewers homes at no addition price. Freaking brilliant!

olevetonahill
9/12/2012, 01:23 PM
Please never link the Tulsa World again. I am not paying those Aggy *******s for their ****ty rag. Any other links?

Yup they pizz me off also. I never look to see where a Link is from, 1/2 the time that Rag does that Pop up shat telling me Ive read my 10 free and If i want to read anymore I need to subscribe. **** em, .

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 01:51 PM
You would have thought we would have gotten one Sooner than the whorns.....

Did we steal theirs? I think I would rather steal one from them.

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 01:52 PM
Yup they pizz me off also. I never look to see where a Link is from, 1/2 the time that Rag does that Pop up shat telling me Ive read my 10 free and If i want to read anymore I need to subscribe. **** em, .

I was thinking about subscribing to the TW again since I've lived here most of my life but the reason I quit getting the paper suddenly came back and within 30 minutes....I was over it.

winout
9/12/2012, 01:59 PM
kuhl, looks like http://www.soonersports.tv/ will be the home for replays of OU games. plus some live programming. Just what I want ala carte tv so I don't have to pay for the crapola I don't want.

8timechamps
9/12/2012, 02:38 PM
You would have thought we would have gotten one Sooner than the whorns.....

Did we steal theirs? I think I would rather steal one from them.

This has been in the works for a long time. They wanted to wait for the new media deal to be official before they could launch. The last I heard, ESPN is taking a bath with the LHN. However, I think they realized it wasn't going to be a money maker.

badger
9/12/2012, 02:45 PM
ESPN is taking a bath with the LHN

Well, at least UT-Austin has the money now to hire endowed chairs. (http://www.utexas.edu/news/2012/09/12/longhorn-network-earnings-draw-top-scholars-philosophy-math-engineering/) Hook em

Oh, and bevo is screwing around with it's own fans on this sh!tty network. AT&T U-Verse subscribers all get Whorn Network now, right? WRONG! Residential only, not commercial subscribers (http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/no-longhorn-network-for-bars-on-u-verse)

Doh, doh, doh. What a mess.

SoonerMarkVA
9/12/2012, 02:52 PM
kuhl, looks like http://www.soonersports.tv/ will be the home for replays of OU games. plus some live programming. Just what I want ala carte tv so I don't have to pay for the crapola I don't want.

Are you just wondering, or did you read something that suggested they'd run replays of OU games (by which, I presume you mean the football games)? The play list they have up there now looks like just the standard media-access stuff they have on soonersports.com.

If they're going to have full game replays on there, that'll be awesome.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/12/2012, 02:52 PM
Please never link the Tulsa World again. I am not paying those Aggy *******s for their ****ty rag. Any other links?Good post!(really)

orange aggy deserves nuttin' from us.

MamaMia
9/12/2012, 02:54 PM
I will if I don't see it elsewhere, otherwise I'll link SS.com or Newsok. :)

You did? Didn't they show the game for free on TV the next day?Not that I knew of. They did have a no huddle version on Monday, but they don't even show all the plays.

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 02:55 PM
This has been in the works for a long time. They wanted to wait for the new media deal to be official before they could launch. The last I heard, ESPN is taking a bath with the LHN. However, I think they realized it wasn't going to be a money maker.

I heard Herbstreak talking about how he supports the idea of Teams having their own Network but let's face it.....it is expensive and to do it without taking a bath is pretty tricky.

I guess he just wanted to state that the NCAA shouldn't stop Teams from trying it.

8timechamps
9/12/2012, 03:55 PM
I heard Herbstreak talking about how he supports the idea of Teams having their own Network but let's face it.....it is expensive and to do it without taking a bath is pretty tricky.

I guess he just wanted to state that the NCAA shouldn't stop Teams from trying it.

I don't think a network devoted to one school would ever be profitable. I am as avid a Sooner fan as you'll find, and even I wouldn't watch a 24/7 Sooner network. That is the one thing the SEC and now PAC got right, a conference network. Still, outside of football and some basketball, there just isn't really a large draw to a 24/7 network. I think OU did as good as they could have without a conference network.

FtwTxSooner
9/12/2012, 03:56 PM
There was no mention at all in the press release on airing live football games, only replays. PPV is here to stay.

tycat947
9/12/2012, 04:08 PM
There was no mention at all in the press release on airing live football games, only replays. PPV is here to stay.

It may evolve to include a game or two a year. Would probably be worth more to FOX and us if they show the game versus PPV. I'm sure if demand is there and increases, there will be more opportunities in the future.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/12/2012, 04:09 PM
This is awesome! I'm a Directv subscriber and will now get all the SoonerSports content on the Fox channels but the horn network is still not on Directv.

Hopefully this means I'll get the basketball games that they show early in the year in OK only and hopefully some baseball games as well.

I'm also guessing the PPV football games aren't going away. They do that because people will pay for it, unlike OU vs Coppin State basketball games.

tycat947
9/12/2012, 04:15 PM
Has anyone heard an amount of money we'll receive on this deal? A $3M to $5M check a year would be nice.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/12/2012, 05:55 PM
Has anyone heard an amount of money we'll receive on this deal? A $3M to $5M check a year would be nice.

According to this article, financial terms have not been disclosed.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_21525566/oklahoma-fox-sports-launch-sports-tv-venture

tycat947
9/12/2012, 06:32 PM
According to this article, financial terms have not been disclosed.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_21525566/oklahoma-fox-sports-launch-sports-tv-venture

Thanks! Just getting the OU brand out there and even sometimes having national coverage is going to help recruiting not only for football but other sports and even just the university!

Ruf/Nek7
9/13/2012, 06:44 AM
Did I skim over the part about revenue? What kind of millions will this bring OU a year? Now we just need to expand the conference but too bad we dragged our feet and ultimately missed out on ND and FSU. ACC made it damn near impossible to leave the conference. No one will pay a $50 million buyout to leave the conference.

tycat947
9/13/2012, 09:11 AM
Just saw this article in Norman Transcript. Doesn't verify amount but mentions a source close to negotiations estimated the contract at close to $5M per year. I think that's great! We'll see $20M per year from Big 12 plus $5M per year from Soonersports powered by FOX which equals $25M per year. So, for pretty much any school not named tu, we'll be near the top in revenue per year from conference and 3rd tier rights.

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x2076994789/-Sooner-Sports-TV-is-born

SoonerLaw09
9/14/2012, 04:16 PM
So is this going to be a new, separate Fox Sports channel, or are they just re-branding OU content on FS Oklahoma?

Bourbon St Sooner
9/14/2012, 04:21 PM
It's not a stand alone network like whorn network which nobody gets. It Soonersports content that will be broadcast through the existing Fox Sports networks.

SoonerLaw09
9/14/2012, 05:34 PM
It's not a stand alone network like whorn network which nobody gets. It Soonersports content that will be broadcast through the existing Fox Sports networks.

Oh good. I was afraid it was going to be some lame-*** money pit like the lhn. :P