PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Tackle Matt Beyer

MojoRisen
9/12/2012, 09:42 AM
Just saw an article, not much detail that Matt Beyer is forced to give up football - injury... That is terrible for the kid, however I can't see us hornoring his Scholly like we have in the past being a year out.. We need to pick up the recruiting big time on the Oline...

Curly Bill
9/12/2012, 10:17 AM
This sounds kinda mean, but we already sign enough guys that can't play football; unless we get a waiver so his scholly wouldn't count against the limit, we don't need to sign a guy who its certain can't play.

OU_Sooners75
9/12/2012, 10:48 AM
Just saw an article, not much detail that Matt Beyer is forced to give up football - injury... That is terrible for the kid, however I can't see us hornoring his Scholly like we have in the past being a year out.. We need to pick up the recruiting big time on the Oline...

Why wouldn't Stoops and OU honor it?

Medical Hardship Scholarships do not count against the 85 scholarship limit.

OU_Sooners75
9/12/2012, 10:50 AM
This sounds kinda mean, but we already sign enough guys that can't play football; unless we get a waiver so his scholly wouldn't count against the limit, we don't need to sign a guy who its certain can't play.

I believe he doesn't need a waiver. The NCAA (I do believe) allows schools that promised a scholarship, but the recruit cannot play due to medical reasons to obtain scholarships without counting against the limit. Hell, if memory serves correctly, it is not even an NCAA issue, but a university issue.

That all said, I could be mistaken or completely wrong.

MojoRisen
9/12/2012, 01:06 PM
in that case, hopefully he will get a full ride... I was just thinking with all the people injured and who have left the program or not qualified - our top 10 classes are really top 30 at best and we will have some depth issues.

OU_Sooners75
9/12/2012, 02:01 PM
in that case, hopefully he will get a full ride... I was just thinking with all the people injured and who have left the program or not qualified - our top 10 classes are really top 30 at best and we will have some depth issues.

Well...your first mistake is buying into what recruiting sites and "experts" are telling you about recruits stars and status. Your second is actually trying to comprehend how a kid can look so good as a Junior and/or Senior in High School and think that they will absolutely have that when they get to a faster, stronger, and tougher level of play.

Everyone needs to remember, that the likelihood that any and all recruits are playing against D-1 talent in every game from every position is just not there.

Of all the High School football players, about 3% of them are D-1 caliber and will shine in D-1. Of those in D-1, only about 3% are NFL caliber players.

That is a very small amount of high school kids that play football that make it to a d-1 school on a full ride that end up in the NFL.

So it is more likely that a player coming out of high school will actually underachieve if people are buying what the recruiting services are selling them.

In short, its a crap shot at best!