PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame to the ACC

CowboyMRW
9/12/2012, 08:50 AM
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
Sources: Notre Dame will join ACC as full member w/exception of football. ND will play 5 football games annually vs. ACC (via @McMurphyESPN)

Smart move IMO

JLEW1818
9/12/2012, 08:51 AM
Good

Lott's Bandana
9/12/2012, 08:53 AM
Why not join in football then? 5 games puts a dent in their traditional games, ah la, Mish St, Penn St, Service Acads, etc.

This move takes them into the basketball meat-grinder, but is likely a good payday.

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 08:58 AM
They should have just joined the Ivy League.

MojoRisen
9/12/2012, 09:03 AM
Wow, they don't want to play with the big boys...

badger
9/12/2012, 09:16 AM
Wow, they don't want to play with the big boys...

I hate Domer too, but how is this not playing with the "big boys?" They have USC and B1G opponents on their football schedule ever year and they're joining the toughest basketball conference.

They really should just join the Big 12 so we can invite BYU and have a big bible bash, but they apparently have too many alums on the East Coast to appease.

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 09:32 AM
They will lose some pretty damn good relationships they and their fans looked forward to playing every year by committing to 5 games in the ACC

Now that doesn't mean they can't schedule some of them like Michigan and USC but Pitt and Purdue and some Teams might not play them as much

Their AD will really need to shed some light IMO on why they decided to change to the ACC.

Unless the Big XII will allow them to "Kind of be a Big XII Member" they will never join our Conference.

badger
9/12/2012, 09:35 AM
More and more athletic directors at big programs despise home-and-homes, because it means playing an away game instead of a lucrative home game for a season. Notre Dame might have needed to do this because they were having trouble filling their schedule

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 09:39 AM
More and more athletic directors at big programs despise home-and-homes, because it means playing an away game instead of a lucrative home game for a season. Notre Dame might have needed to do this because they were having trouble filling their schedule

There is some talk that it will help them recruit in Basketball and the other Sports they are weak in. 5 Football Games was just the hook the ACC needed to say yes is my guess.

MojoRisen
9/12/2012, 09:45 AM
I hate Domer too, but how is this not playing with the "big boys?" They have USC and B1G opponents on their football schedule ever year and they're joining the toughest basketball conference.

They really should just join the Big 12 so we can invite BYU and have a big bible bash, but they apparently have too many alums on the East Coast to appease.

It will be interesting what games they replace with the 5 ACC mandatory games...

KantoSooner
9/12/2012, 09:48 AM
They should have just joined the Ivy League.

Their academics are not in the same area code.

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 09:51 AM
Their academics are not in the same area code.

It was a joke. Sorry. I don't use Winks sometimes.

badger
9/12/2012, 09:56 AM
It will be interesting what games they replace with the 5 ACC mandatory games...

09/01/12 vs. Navy TV Dublin, Ireland W, 50-10
09/08/12 vs. Purdue TV Notre Dame, Ind. W, 20-17
09/15/12 at Michigan State TV East Lansing, Mich. 8:00 p.m. ET
09/22/12 vs. Michigan TV Notre Dame, Ind. 7:30 p.m. ET
Shamrock Series
10/06/12 vs. Miami TV Chicago, Ill. 7:30 p.m. ET
10/13/12 vs. Stanford TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
10/20/12 vs. BYU TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
10/27/12 at Oklahoma TV Norman, Okla. TBA
11/03/12 vs. Pittsburgh TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
11/10/12 at Boston College TV Chestnut Hill, Mass. TBA
11/17/12 vs. Wake Forest TV Notre Dame, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET
11/24/12 at USC TV Los Angeles, Calif. TBA

List of ACC teams:
-Suckacuse (future)
-The Pitts (future)
-Beat Cancer Boston College
-Maryland sponsored by Under Armour
-Dookies
-UNCheater
-Wake Up Sleeping Footaball Program... Forest
- Tobacco Aggie NC State
-Wahoo Virginia
-Beamer Ball VT Tech
-Clemp
-Convict Cane the U
- Semmy Nole
-Gah Tech

From the looks of it... will this change their scheduling much at all?

85sooners
9/12/2012, 10:08 AM
Punks!!

tycat947
9/12/2012, 10:19 AM
List of ACC teams:
-Suckacuse (future)
-The Pitts (future)
-Beat Cancer Boston College
-Maryland sponsored by Under Armour
-Dookies
-UNCheater
-Wake Up Sleeping Footaball Program... Forest
- Tobacco Aggie NC State
-Wahoo Virginia
-Beamer Ball VT Tech
-Clemp
-Convict Cane the U
- Semmy Nole
-Gah Tech

From the looks of it... will this change their scheduling much at all?

Not really. 3 of their new sisters are already on the schedule now. We know that we're a temporary opponent and the U is as well. I would guess the same of the Mormons. They are NOT going to get rid of Navy. It's a much too easy win. Nor Southern Cal. And probably not the B1G either. So, their schedule will probably be pretty much set every year except for the rotation of the 5 games of the ACC.

tycat947
9/12/2012, 10:22 AM

Don't even THINK this!!! We already have 2 too many private schools as it is!!! ROFL!

KantoSooner
9/12/2012, 10:46 AM
It was a joke. Sorry. I don't use Winks sometimes.

No worries. I was not slapping back at you. Just taking a chance for a gratuitous sneer at ND's expense.

badger
9/12/2012, 10:51 AM
They are NOT going to get rid of Navy. It's a much too easy win.
Charlie Weis got fired for thinking this :P

Don't even THINK this!!! We already have 2 too many private schools as it is!!! ROFL!
We need one to avoid open records laws. Now that we have the correct one, we can dump the wrong one that we've been stuck with for awhile, hehe :P

OU_Sooners75
9/12/2012, 10:55 AM
Well, this makes it extremely hard for the Big 12 to poach Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, etc.

badger
9/12/2012, 11:01 AM
Well, this makes it extremely hard for the Big 12 to poach Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, etc.

Yeah, $50 mil is a lot to ask. I think the Big Leazy also upped their opt out after Couch Burn jumped to the Big 12.

That leaves us with a few poaching options:
- Get an indy school (BYU and... is anyone else still indy?)
- Get an SEC school (Maybe Texas legislature can force A&M to come back when they go five consecutive seasons without a win?)
- Get a B1G school (Nebraska? Nebraska! We're calling you home! Get your butt back where you belong right now!)
- Get a Pac 12 school (We'll take Colorado back for $50 million and not a penny less)
- Get a mid-major (Hi, Tulsa!)

OU_Sooners75
9/12/2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah, $50 mil is a lot to ask. I think the Big Leazy also upped their opt out after Couch Burn jumped to the Big 12.

That leaves us with a few poaching options:
- Get an indy school (BYU and... is anyone else still indy?)
- Get an SEC school (Maybe Texas legislature can force A&M to come back when they go five consecutive seasons without a win?)
- Get a B1G school (Nebraska? Nebraska! We're calling you home! Get your butt back where you belong right now!)
- Get a Pac 12 school (We'll take Colorado back for $50 million and not a penny less)
- Get a mid-major (Hi, Tulsa!)

See you are thinking, but not in the right direction.

Do you honestly think West Virginia will stay happy if we cannot bridge the gap between WVU and the rest of the Big 12?

I had a feeling FSU and Clemson were pipe dreams, but the Big 12 does need to get back to at least 12 teams, and they need to expand eastward.

As much as I hate the idea, but Louisville is looking like a very good option. So is South Florida, Cincy, and even Central Florida.

We need to expand the Big 12 footprint into the recruiting hotbeds.

badger
9/12/2012, 11:20 AM
See you are thinking, but not in the right direction.
My sense of humor must not be tuned in right this morning. Did taking Colorado back for not less than $50 million not sound funny enough? Next joke, I'll ask for a billion. Wait, this is CU football we're talking about. A trillion. We'll help pay down the national debt by taking the Pac 12 bozo back.

Do you honestly think West Virginia will stay happy if we cannot bridge the gap between WVU and the rest of the Big 12?
They haven't played one conference game yet, so I'm not sure we'll be happy with them, either. Time will tell. We'll see.

I had a feeling FSU and Clemson were pipe dreams, but the Big 12 does need to get back to at least 12 teams, and they need to expand eastward.
Time will tell on this one too. Does not having a conference championship game hurt us, or help us? The teams seem to love the idea of $20 million per school annual TV money, the coaches seem to love not having to worry about a 14th game (including 12-game regular season and bowl game), and the fans don't seem to mind watching Mizzou, Colorado and Texas A&M lose in a difference conference. (I omit Nebrasky because I think a few, myself included, kind of miss the ol' bugeaters)

As much as I hate the idea, but Louisville is looking like a very good option. So is South Florida, Cincy, and even Central Florida.
Charlie Strong has gotten off to an awesome start there. Makes you wonder why ol' Kraggie couldn't do what Petrino did before him. If we're just making this move to appease the Mounties, we might want to just ask them who they want. UConn might stomp its feet a few times if we don't mention them also. They have to be feeling quite left out right about now, lol

We need to expand the Big 12 footprint into the recruiting hotbeds.
Texastexastexastexastexas (takes a breath) texastexastexastexastexas... :D

OU_Sooners75
9/12/2012, 11:27 AM
My sense of humor must not be tuned in right this morning. Did taking Colorado back for not less than $50 million not sound funny enough? Next joke, I'll ask for a billion. Wait, this is CU football we're talking about. A trillion. We'll help pay down the national debt by taking the Pac 12 bozo back.

They haven't played one conference game yet, so I'm not sure we'll be happy with them, either. Time will tell. We'll see.

Time will tell on this one too. Does not having a conference championship game hurt us, or help us? The teams seem to love the idea of $20 million per school annual TV money, the coaches seem to love not having to worry about a 14th game (including 12-game regular season and bowl game), and the fans don't seem to mind watching Mizzou, Colorado and Texas A&M lose in a difference conference. (I omit Nebrasky because I think a few, myself included, kind of miss the ol' bugeaters)

Charlie Strong has gotten off to an awesome start there. Makes you wonder why ol' Kraggie couldn't do what Petrino did before him. If we're just making this move to appease the Mounties, we might want to just ask them who they want. UConn might stomp its feet a few times if we don't mention them also. They have to be feeling quite left out right about now, lol

Texastexastexastexastexas (takes a breath) texastexastexastexastexas... :D

I agree, Texas is the hot bed...but it is also getting tougher for OU to grab who they want out of that state. And there are only so many kids that are D1 caliber in that state.

That said, if we can expand SEward then the Big 12 opens itself up to the hotbeds known as Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, and even Bama and Mississippi.

Other than Eastward, we could always go after the Left Coast teams like Fresno State, San Diego State, BYU (though in the mountains), etc. etc.

badger
9/12/2012, 11:33 AM
I agree, Texas is the hot bed...but it is also getting tougher for OU to grab who they want out of that state. And there are only so many kids that are D1 caliber in that state.

Lester has expanded LSU recruiting into east Texas, but I really don't see a lot of other challengers. Whorn will get who they want usually (and see how that's turned out for them, hehe), A&M will pressure a kid to be loyal to Texas (and that has worked out well for all four of their coaches during the past decade too, hehe) and the other Big 12 schools will pluck a few, but OU still seems to have it's way with getting recruits from anywhere... kind of Fulmer before Rocky Top started losing till his resignation.

PLaw
9/12/2012, 11:34 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth, 75.

This pretty much will put a death-nail into FSU or Clemson joining the Big 12.

Way to go DeLoss (and your sidekick Bowlsby) - I hope your rust-colored teeth are smiling now.

Way to go Boren for hitching the Schooner behind 13-0's butt.

I'm not sure where I had rather be, but I damn sure don't want to be in the SWC 2nd edition. SEC with TAMU would be better than the outhouse that we are headed towards.

Bummer

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 01:32 PM
No worries. I was not slapping back at you. Just taking a chance for a gratuitous sneer at ND's expense.

LOL

StoopTroup
9/12/2012, 01:33 PM
Who would want to poach Miami?

And Brent's agreement probably doesn't allow Clemson to cross Stateline for at least 3 more years ;)

8timechamps
9/12/2012, 02:10 PM

That was my first thought. Hats off to the commissioner of the ACC. He may have saved his conference. Gonna be one heck of a hoops conference.

8timechamps
9/12/2012, 02:13 PM
Bowlsby needs to re-think his stance on staying at 10 schools. He needs to grab BYU and Louisville while they're available. There won't be anybody worth bringing in if he waits around.

MamaMia
9/12/2012, 02:45 PM
I never cared which conference Notre Dame joins; just join one. I don't believe a team should be shown special consideration because they aren't in a conference.

badger
9/12/2012, 02:47 PM
Bowlsby needs to re-think his stance on staying at 10 schools. He needs to grab BYU and Louisville while they're available. There won't be anybody worth bringing in if he waits around.

Why can't we stay at 10 schools.

8timechamps
9/12/2012, 03:14 PM

I just think at some point, not having a championship game is going to bite us in the buttocks. Once the playoffs get rolling, then SOS is going to really be a factor. Teams that play an additional championship game will be viewed more favorably than teams that don't.

Soonerman82
9/12/2012, 04:17 PM
I just think at some point, not having a championship game is going to bite us in the buttocks. Once the playoffs get rolling, then SOS is going to really be a factor. Teams that play an additional championship game will be viewed more favorably than teams that don't.

So much of this.

Sooner in Tampa
9/12/2012, 04:21 PM
slmandel (http://twitter.com/slmandel)
Harmony in the ACC lasts 8 hours. RT @dennisdoddcbs: FSU voted against $50 million buyout.

tycat947
9/12/2012, 04:45 PM

We will unless we can find someone to add value to the TV contract. There isn't anyone now. Bowlsby is saying we're staying at 10 because that's what the presidents are saying. It's not just his decision. We don't need a championship game.

BeaSooner
9/12/2012, 07:29 PM
Notre Dame can suck it! Long, hard, and repeatedly...

dennis580
9/12/2012, 11:35 PM
I am dissapointed the Big 12 didnt get Notre Dame. 5 guaranteed football games a year with Notre Dame would have been awesome, and it would meant OU would played Notre Dame quite often.

I hate that that we are stuck at 10 teams with no conference championship game, and I hate that we didnt get Notre Dame.

WA. Sooner
9/13/2012, 12:52 AM
Bring on Air Force and BYU

swardboy
9/13/2012, 06:20 AM
I still think USF is worth a good look: Florida recruiting, nice stadium, pretty rabid fans.

tycat947
9/13/2012, 09:13 AM
I am dissapointed the Big 12 didnt get Notre Dame. 5 guaranteed football games a year with Notre Dame would have been awesome, and it would meant OU would played Notre Dame quite often.

I hate that that we are stuck at 10 teams with no conference championship game, and I hate that we didnt get Notre Dame.

Deloss Dodds was supposedly in bed with ND AD. Guess he's not as good in bed as he thinks he is!

Sooner in Tampa
9/13/2012, 10:30 AM
I still think USF is worth a good look: Florida recruiting, nice stadium, pretty rabid fans.
I pray for this to happen!!!

I have been saying that we should look at USF for a couple of years now.

An extra benefit is: USF home games are played at Raymond James Stadium (Home of the Buccaneers) and we can drink glorious cold beer at the games!!!

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 12:08 PM
We will unless we can find someone to add value to the TV contract. There isn't anyone now. Bowlsby is saying we're staying at 10 because that's what the presidents are saying. It's not just his decision. We don't need a championship game.

Remember that the next time OU wins the conference and get jumped by a B1G, PAC and/or SEC teams because they increased their SOS with a conference championship game. It's going to matter when the playoff starts.

tycat947
9/13/2012, 02:00 PM
Remember that the next time OU wins the conference and get jumped by a B1G, PAC and/or SEC teams because they increased their SOS with a conference championship game. It's going to matter when the playoff starts.

I'll worry when that happens.

Sooner in Tampa
9/13/2012, 02:29 PM

I hate to say it...but it WILL happen. It may not happen to us, but it will happen. There will be no way to justify a 12-0 Champ w/ a CCG win under their belt to a team with 12 wins and 0 CCG...coaches and media will slobber all over those

I would even venture to say that an 11-1 team with an early season loss that rebounds, wins out, and wins their CCG would vault over us.

Ruf/Nek7
9/13/2012, 05:55 PM
I knew we were going to miss out on ND, and FSU once the announcement of a playoff system was made. Big 12 was content to remain at 10 until it is time for us to prepare for a playoff. If they wait too late, it may hurt us. We should venture into teams like Louisville and BYU IMO. I refuse to let the smurf turf bastards join this great conference.

Ruf/Nek7
9/13/2012, 05:56 PM
I hate to say it...but it WILL happen. It may not happen to us, but it will happen. There will be no way to justify a 12-0 Champ w/ a CCG win under their belt to a team with 12 wins and 0 CCG...coaches and media will slobber all over those

I would even venture to say that an 11-1 team with an early season loss that rebounds, wins out, and wins their CCG would vault over us.

It never really hurt the Big 10 before they expanded.

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 06:00 PM

Fair enough. I'm assuming you weren't in favor of playoffs either.

As a football fan (and a playoff fan), I can't imagine why anyone (other than head coaches) wouldn't want a conference championship game.

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 06:01 PM
It never really hurt the Big 10 before they expanded.

That's history. College football is changing in a major way with the advent of the play-offs. Strength of schedule will become increasing important.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2012, 06:37 PM
That's history. College football is changing in a major way with the advent of the play-offs. Strength of schedule will become increasing important.

Will see how this 4 team thingy plays out, but SOS did NOT play much of a factor last season. Bama had a fairly weak SOS last season and their 1 marquee matchup they lost. At home. The CCG/no CCG issue has been hashed before, but look at USC and UO this season. If things play out as expected, they will play each other twice and if the split the games, then the pac12 could well be locked out. We faced the same issue in 2000 and the CCG against KSU was close and we were a shoe-in to the title game without the CCG. One of those doulbe edge sword things.

CowboyMRW
9/13/2012, 08:51 PM

An undefeated Big 12 member will never by jumped by a B1G team. Maybe in the past, but they are a distant 4th in the college football pecking order. They are awful. I have a hard time seeing a jump by the PAC also. Oregon, Stanford, and USC are the only good teams there, and Stanford may be dropping back down. I'm not sold on their coach right now.

We also play 9 conference games, something that NO other conference does. Hell, the SEC has 14 teams and still won't play 9 conference games because they are worried about that loss.

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 08:54 PM
Will see how this 4 team thingy plays out, but SOS did NOT play much of a factor last season. Bama had a fairly weak SOS last season and their 1 marquee matchup they lost. At home. The CCG/no CCG issue has been hashed before, but look at USC and UO this season. If things play out as expected, they will play each other twice and if the split the games, then the pac12 could well be locked out. We faced the same issue in 2000 and the CCG against KSU was close and we were a shoe-in to the title game without the CCG. One of those doulbe edge sword things.

I do realize that. BUT, it's pretty clear that SOS will play a bigger role in the future. In fact, I bet we start seeing much better overall OOC match-ups. The one thing I'm still leery about is the lack of transparency with the 4 team selection. We'll see how that play out.

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 08:56 PM
An undefeated Big 12 member will never by jumped by a B1G team. Maybe in the past, but they are a distant 4th in the college football pecking order. They are awful. I have a hard time seeing a jump by the PAC also. Oregon, Stanford, and USC are the only good teams there, and Stanford may be dropping back down. I'm not sold on their coach right now.

We also play 9 conference games, something that NO other conference does. Hell, the SEC has 14 teams and still won't play 9 conference games because they are worried about that loss.

Shut up poke!

Kidding.

Right now, the B1G sucks pretty bad, but who knows what'll happen in the future. Last year Wisconsin was pretty darn good, and this year the PAC has started out strong (except for Colorado, they just suck). I do wish that other leagues would play the same round-robin format the Big XII uses, but with so many other members, they can't/won't.

CowboyMRW
9/13/2012, 09:00 PM
Shut up poke!

Kidding.

Right now, the B1G sucks pretty bad, but who knows what'll happen in the future. Last year Wisconsin was pretty darn good, and this year the PAC has started out strong (except for Colorado, they just suck). I do wish that other leagues would play the same round-robin format the Big XII uses, but with so many other members, they can't/won't.

I guess I should've included Arizona since they beat the dog-sh!t out of us. I always like Rich Rods offensive system. Don't know why he couldn't get it to work at Michigan.

Wiscy was good, but lost twice last year. Wiscy no longer has 1) Their OL coach from last year and 2) Russel Wilson. Russel Wilson was that team. I know Ball got the hype but that was because of Wilson.

Scott D
9/13/2012, 09:50 PM

Nah, games against the Purdue's of the world are likely the ones that go, and potentially they may only play one Service Acadamy instead of 2 or 3. They're definitely keeping both USC and Stanford, and will likely play Michigan or Michigan State on some sort of rotating schedule, and they're apparently trying to set up something with Texas and possibly OU so that they can keep games in both the West Coast and Dallas markets for recruiting purposes.

tycat947
9/14/2012, 01:12 PM
Fair enough. I'm assuming you weren't in favor of playoffs either.

As a football fan (and a playoff fan), I can't imagine why anyone (other than head coaches) wouldn't want a conference championship game.

We have a REAL conference champion now and that's really the ultimate end result, right? The Big 12 champion will be in the four-team playoff probably at least 90 percent of the time. The championship game doesn't change the quality of football being played. CUSA and MAC have championship games and how many times have they made the BCS final???

LiveLaughLove
9/14/2012, 01:30 PM
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
Sources: Notre Dame will join ACC as full member w/exception of football. ND will play 5 football games annually vs. ACC (via @McMurphyESPN)

Smart move IMO
Not trying to quibble, but you can't be a "full member", and then throw in an exception.

It would be like saying I am fully committed to my marriage, except for when I sleep around.

8timechamps
9/14/2012, 01:42 PM
We have a REAL conference champion now and that's really the ultimate end result, right? The Big 12 champion will be in the four-team playoff probably at least 90 percent of the time. The championship game doesn't change the quality of football being played. CUSA and MAC have championship games and how many times have they made the BCS final???

I think you're missing my point. I have no issue with the way a champion is crowned currently in the Big XII (although I would still love to see an extra game, especially if OU were involved). And, you're right, playing everyone in the conference leads to a "true" conference champion. My point is that once the playoffs start, SOS will become a more important factor, and a conference championship game would only help the Big XII champion.

SoonerLaw09
9/14/2012, 01:45 PM
Two reasons to expand:

1. The playoff thingy, as others have stated;
2. We're the Big *12*, dthammith! If we're gonna stay at 10 teams, change the conference name. The B1G is the only other conference in history that did not change its name when the math started to be wrong. Why be identified with that?

Re: (1), the only interim solution for OU is to schedule another power NC game to make up the SoS.

tycat947
9/14/2012, 03:01 PM
I think you're missing my point. I have no issue with the way a champion is crowned currently in the Big XII (although I would still love to see an extra game, especially if OU were involved). And, you're right, playing everyone in the conference leads to a "true" conference champion. My point is that once the playoffs start, SOS will become a more important factor, and a conference championship game would only help the Big XII champion.

I'm most concerned with OU and I don't think in most years this will every affect us. With LSU, Tennessee, etc on future schedules and based on our past history, SOS isn't going to be an issue. I really could care less if Texas, OSU, WVU, etc win the conference and fail to make the final 4 because of a weak SOS. I'd almost guarantee an undefeated Big 12 team will make the final 4. Since the BCS was created, I'm pretty sure the Big 12 has been in the top 3 conferences (mostly top 2) in SOS every year. I think a championship game would have more potential harm than gain for a top Big 12 team at the end of the season. We're playing 9 conference games and we know the SEC doesn't. They fill most non-conference games with FCS schools (there are exceptions). I just don't see this as causing a problem with Big 12 teams missing the final 4.

Scott D
9/14/2012, 03:21 PM
Two reasons to expand:

1. The playoff thingy, as others have stated;
2. We're the Big *12*, dthammith! If we're gonna stay at 10 teams, change the conference name. The B1G is the only other conference in history that did not change its name when the math started to be wrong. Why be identified with that?

Re: (1), the only interim solution for OU is to schedule another power NC game to make up the SoS.

to be fair, the name that would have made sense for them was kind of trademarked at the time ;)

Mississippi Sooner
9/14/2012, 03:27 PM
Seems to me that ND just traded one basketball conference for another. I'm sure we won't see them scheduling Florida State, Clemson and VaTech as part of their five game deal in any one particular year. They can schedule Duke, Maryland and Boston College (Catholic fight!) and keep their games with USC, Michigan State and such.

8timechamps
9/14/2012, 03:53 PM
I'm most concerned with OU and I don't think in most years this will every affect us. With LSU, Tennessee, etc on future schedules and based on our past history, SOS isn't going to be an issue. I really could care less if Texas, OSU, WVU, etc win the conference and fail to make the final 4 because of a weak SOS. I'd almost guarantee an undefeated Big 12 team will make the final 4. Since the BCS was created, I'm pretty sure the Big 12 has been in the top 3 conferences (mostly top 2) in SOS every year. I think a championship game would have more potential harm than gain for a top Big 12 team at the end of the season. We're playing 9 conference games and we know the SEC doesn't. They fill most non-conference games with FCS schools (there are exceptions). I just don't see this as causing a problem with Big 12 teams missing the final 4.

True, with our future OOC schedule, we are in a better position than most. We'll see if you're right about not needing a CCG.

SoonerLaw09
9/14/2012, 04:04 PM
to be fair, the name that would have made sense for them was kind of trademarked at the time ;)

Yes, but when they added Penn State and went to 11, they didn't change it either. They've been mathematically challenged since the 90's.