PDA

View Full Version : REMEMBERING

soonerloyal
9/11/2012, 07:15 AM
Although some of my viewpoints have changed over the years, I still feel this day every year is an anniversary that passes our usual clashes - or should. Hopefully no need to move this post...it should be in the right place.

REMEMBERING...

On September 11, 2001 - My oldest Marine was in boot, four days away from his 21st birthday. I remember that morning, watching the coverage of the Twin Towers and the Pentagon being hit, how I'd sent him off to San Diego, a month or so before. How I got to stay with him all the way to the gate, as the recruits boarded the plane. How I smiled and waved until he disappeared from sight, and they closed the gate - and how I cried only then. I watched their plane slowly pull away from the gate, roll slowly down its path to the runway, where it picked up speed and lifted them off to their future. I remember thinking, "Lord, bless the pilot as he carries these young men." I wrote in my journal later that I wondered if he knew how special his cargo was, and how important they were to not only their families, but to our country.

I cried again on September 11th, for so many reasons more.

I thought again of my son and his choice of which I was so proud. Knowing what this attack would mean for all those recruits struggling to become Marines. And I mourned for what we had lost that day, and what we were sure to lose as the days stretched out over an uncertain future.

I watched the newscasters falter as they recounted the first tower collapse, then the second. I stood rooted to the screen as the reality of the loss of life washed over not just me, but every decent human heart who stood watching as well. And as the minutes turned to hours, the pain did not diminish, but was partnered by an anger that burned so strong, I wondered if I would survive the flames. I watched the brave men and women who had gone into those towers to save whoever they could find, bleed slowly out of the rubble and into their own lost realm, as they (and we all) realized that many of their brothers were still inside the ashes and twisted steel. Many of them - and those they fought to rescue - would never be found. I'd always admired the brave souls who ran into infernos while others around them ran out. That day, I was reminded why in a big way. Little did I know that less than a year later, my second son would emulate not only his brother, but also follow the path of the rescuers he watched that day. He became a Marine - and a firefighter as well.

A friend of mine called that horrible morning, asking "Are you watching this?" How could I not be watching? A citizen of another country, she had an opinion that shocked me to the core: "I'm very sorry this happened, but now you Americans know how the rest of the world feels when they've dealt with terror. Welcome to reality. You aren't untouchable." Dear God, no, we are not.

In the wee hours of September 12th, I sat with shaking hands in front of my computer, writing my son another birthday message. I'd written him the week before, a happy message celebrating his coming of age, his benchmark birthday. I remember I'd decorated it with poorly-drawn balloons & a cake, and a crude sketch of a mama kissing her boy's scrunched-up and blushing face. The paper I'd loaded into the printer just now was already blotched with tear stains. What a different letter this was going to be. I still have a copy of it; so does my son - along with every letter I wrote to him while he was in boot. They're in the same cedar chest that holds the Daily Oklahomans covering the Murrah Building bombing and September 11th. Reminders of what I hope is the final wake-up call we'll need, for so many reasons.

The trip to see my oldest son receive his Eagle Globe and Anchor was markedly different from the last time I'd been to the airport in OKC only three months before. Gone were the welcoming gestures from smiling security personnel, offering me the chance to go beyond the boundaries. My trek was directed by tight-lipped men in uniform, curtailed from Point A to Point B with no allowance for deviation. I didn't bat an eye when I landed at San Diego, and N.G.'s were the order of the day, complete with M-16s, wearing camo and nervous frowns. For many, it was comforting and brought on anger at the same time. My fellow passengers and I remarked at how different flights were now, and how grateful were were for it. I couldn't help but wonder what might have been different if we'd shown more vigilance and wisdom, "before".

Both my Marines tell me that the other is his "hero". The younger admires the first for answering the call of his country prior to 9/11/01, "before" he was needed so much. The older says there's more courage and commitment in the choice of his little brother to answer when he knew much more clearly what that answer might mean - "after". I don't have to tell you who two of my heroes are, do I?

Before. And After. Two words make such a difference in the annals of our country's history, do they not?

Those sons of bitches brought down more than buildings and planes that fateful day. They brought down the blinders too many people had on, shielding their eyes and senses from knowing that Evil is a presence to be reckoned with in our own midst; nor is Evil just foreign-born. What every one of us does, every decision we make - as individuals and as a whole - impacts the world in ways we cannot understand. It's been said America lost her innocence again that day; I agree. But I say we gained an eagle eye of truth, insight and opportunity - what we do with it now remains to be seen.

I'll add two more words that have echoed from the hearts of Americans living and dead for the last 11 years since. I want you to hold them with the same reverence I do, say them and mean them...

NEVER FORGET.

--- Lori H.

KantoSooner
9/11/2012, 11:53 AM
Well said!

8timechamps
9/11/2012, 01:23 PM
Semper Fi!

Good post.

badger
9/11/2012, 02:19 PM
My story is not nearly as cool:

I was in my freshman year at OU when it happened. I didn't have Tuesday classes, so when I stumbled out of bed, I remember our TV lounge in Cross Center (that's the far-far-far dorm that they stick the leftover students not good enough for the towers in) being crowded in stunned silence, tuned to some news channel.

OU didn't call off classes and the Big 12 didn't call off football games, but the WAC conference did, so we had our weekend football game against Tulsa postponed. That meant that our next home game was Kansas State, with College Gameday. Corso was in the grassy area between Adams and Walker towers giving out hats to people that asked him questions on a makeshift stage.

Our band stuff was reorganized. We had recently dumped "Grand Ole Flag" in favor of "OK Oklahoma" in pregame, and given the need for some extra patriotism, we added it back in. And... a field-size flag known as "Superflag" was brought in for our nationally televised broadcast, which was shown to everyone for our early game.

I was a stupid little freshman. When I got to my seat, I was like "I only have white pom poms. Can someone trade me a red one?" Little did I know the student section, band included, had red, white and blue pom poms to make an American flag. I thought we were just given pom poms for the hell of it (they gave us sombreros at our first game against UNC) and I wanted both OU colors!

It was quite the memorable game for many reasons.

KantoSooner
9/11/2012, 03:31 PM
I was in Taiwan. Had just checked into my hotel and flicked on the tv as I called my mom here to see if she'd paid the taxes on a little 1 acre lot I had at the time. We both thought it was a restaurant fire at first, then that some little Cessna or something had gone in. Then the second plane hit.

My office in Hsinchu decided that the best way to lift our middle finger at the *******s was to go on, business as usual the next day.

It was funny that the United flight out the next week was a 747-400. The entire upper deck was nothing but American business men, all over 6' and 200 lbs. Apparently our pilot had exercised his judgement and had some people 'reseated'.

And, those Iranian guys who'd been hanging out in front of several train stations in Tokyo? Smoking and leering at women and pout/sneering at westerners? Surprise, surprise, surprise! Apparently several platoons of Japanese riot cops bundled those ****ers up and took them away. Still not sure where to.

It changed a lot of things; most for the worse. There are a lot of people like Bin Laden in the world. It wouldn't bother me in the least if they started quietly dying of transcranial lead injections.

8timechamps
9/11/2012, 04:08 PM
I was at the Bronco/Packer MNF game the night before and didn't get to bed until late, so I decided to go into the office a little later than usual. Since I was going in late, I figured I would drop my car off for an oil change and have my (ex) wife follow me and give me a ride to the office.

After dropping my car off, my wife and I talked the whole ride, so no radio, no news of what had happened. I went into the concourse of my building for coffee, and they always had a radio on just loud enough to know that it was on. As I was pouring my coffee, I overheard the DJ say something about a plane crash in NYC. I asked the person working what was happening and she said "some small plane hit one of the WTC buildings". I didn't really give it much thought.

My office at the time was on the 55th floor, and we had a TV in the lobby. As I got off the elevator there was already a crown watching the TV in the lobby. When I saw the first images, my jaw dropped. I remember thinking "that was not a small plane!". I went straight to my office and turned on my TV and sat and watched for about 30 minutes. When the second plane hit, and there was talk of more planes in the air that were unaccounted for, the building management decided to evacuate the building.

My wife picked me up sometime after, and we went home and were glued to the TV all day and evening. My kids stayed home from school, which looking back was probably good. They were both pretty young, and kept the mood light.

The markets remained closed for the week, so I stayed home and watched the coverage for a couple of days. I remember making the decision to go to the mountains for the weekend to try and get away from it...there was no "getting away" from the coverage.

FaninAma
9/11/2012, 04:13 PM
My youngest was 6 days old. I was watching television about to head out to make rounds at the hospital and saw the second plane. I knew the instant it happened it was a terrorist act. I tried to keep updated on what was going on throughout the day. And I struggeld for a while to separate the perpetrators of this crime from even my friends from the Middle East who I worked with on a daily basis. I found it much easier to separate the colleagues I knew personally from my abstract personal feelings toward muslim society.

Kanto, personally I would put about a $2 billion bounty on the top guy and lesser amounts on his underlings and let economics and some resourceful bounty hunters solve the problem.

KantoSooner
9/11/2012, 04:36 PM
Fanin, I grew up in various 'awl bidness' locations throughout Africa and the Far East. I lived mostly in Muslim countries. Never had an ounce of problems or worries until the Palestinian deal heated up in the late 1960's.
Having had such a benign experience of Islam, I spent a lot of effort trying to encourage Americans to have a more understanding position towards the Islamic world.
It was not always easy, but I felt it was something of a duty; like defending individual liberty.
And then 9/11 happened and the aftermath. And, frankly, I won't say I'm knee jerk biased against Middle Easterners, but I'm pretty close. Those people pissed me off. And I'll let them know when I'm finished being pissed off. Don't wait up.