PDA

View Full Version : Why wearing an Oklahoma Sooner shirt is awesome

Seamus
9/10/2012, 09:00 PM
Because when you least expect it, in the middle of nowhere, you just might meet Roy Williams' uncle (his mom's younger brother).

In this case, in the grain aisle of Trader Joe's in Stockton, Calif. (ForeclosureTown USA).

Awesome.

Incidentally, I asked how Damian Mackey was doing. All right, but "not as well as he could be" had he not busted up his neck.

Very cool guy. Put a smile on my face.

olevetonahill
9/10/2012, 09:02 PM
Cool

TheHumanAlphabet
9/10/2012, 09:23 PM
Cool.

I wear my OU stuff when traveling, met a Class of '80 (to my class of '82) on a flight from Jakarta to Singapore the other day. He and I are Engineers in the oil patch and we had a nice conversation on the plane.

I rarely see LosuR memorabilia, though lots of UT.

Boomer!

olevetonahill
9/10/2012, 10:29 PM
Cool.

I wear my OU stuff when traveling, met a Class of '80 (to my class of '82) on a flight from Jakarta to Singapore the other day. He and I are Engineers in the oil patch and we had a nice conversation on the plane.

Boomer!

You ever see me with out a Sooner shirt on its cause they all dirty

Wishboned
9/10/2012, 10:33 PM
Cool.

I rarely see LosuR memorabilia, .

Boomer!

If you're going to Jakarta and Singapore I think that's outside their pizza delivery areas.

vtsooner21
9/11/2012, 07:13 AM
Wear my OU cap here in Vermont non-stop...Amazing the folks that approach me and are part of the Sooner Nation. Worked at a ski resort, and had a great time with the guests that follow college ball. Sooner Nation is EVERYWHERE!

Boomer

C&CDean
9/11/2012, 08:25 AM
Nothing like standing on the platform waiting for the Metro in DC and somebody across the way goes "Boomer!" Or walking down an airplane aisle in Chicago and hearing the same thing. I've had people chat me up in bars and all sorts of places when wearing Sooner gear. We're out there people.

85sooners
9/11/2012, 09:30 AM
Lots of sooner fans spread out in the world

MyT Oklahoma
9/11/2012, 10:01 AM
Amen to all of the above.

KantoSooner
9/11/2012, 10:20 AM
With the Singapore comments, I have to share:

about 15 years ago, I was in the Long Bar at the Raffles with my then wife and our daughter (about 4 at the time). A Horn family sat at the bar (pig eyed man, pig eyed wife and their waddling offspring). I quickly briefed my daughter on her mission and sent her off. She marched over in front of them, threw her arms skyward and shouted as loud as she could, "Touchdown!! Oklahoma!!!" and then left to go play with her friends.
The Horns finished their drinks, paid their bill and left.
Always good for them to know that we're out there and they're never really safe.

budbarrybob
9/11/2012, 10:25 AM
Nothing like standing on the platform waiting for the Metro in DC and somebody across the way goes "Boomer!" Or walking down an airplane aisle in Chicago and hearing the same thing. I've had people chat me up in bars and all sorts of places when wearing Sooner gear. We're out there people.

I like how the "Boomer" followed by "Sooner" is part many people lexicon. Whether they are Sooner fans or not. :D

PLaw
9/11/2012, 10:33 AM
With more than 2MM miles on American, I get the opportunity to share my Sooner fandome all over the world. About 10 years ago, I got tired of seeing maroon and rust in my travels. I make it a point to have a visible OU item everywhere I go. Mostly, it's a golf cap clipped to the laptop backpack.

Regardless, wherever I may be, it's always good to hear or be the one to offer up a "BOOMER". Last week, it was from an unsuspecting guy at the local Tom Thumb.

Boomer

Landthief 1972
9/11/2012, 10:47 AM
Cool.

Boomer!

I see LosuR gear all the time during deer season - hell the government makes me wear it, too! :D

virginiasooner
9/11/2012, 12:29 PM

I LOVE doing that during the summer -- families in their OU regalia walking down the street, and then somebody (me) shouts out BOOMER! At first, they look confused, and when I wave at them, they respond properly (SOONER!). I've met people from Bowlegs, who knew a cousin. I ask them where they are from, how long they are in town, and what they've seen. I always try to recommend something else for them to do.

FirstandGoal
9/11/2012, 12:38 PM

This happened to me in Vegas one time, but on a much larger scale. It started off with just 3-4 people and by the time we were done almost everybody in the ESPNzone in New York, New York were shouting "boomer" and "sooner"

SunnySooner
9/11/2012, 08:37 PM
Great stories, y'all!! Since I've been wandering in the wilderness for low these 18 years, I've worn Crimson all over the place, and I have a lot of similar experiences. My favorite Boomer was walking thru Chicago Ohare, with 900 million of my fellow humans, OU sweatshirt on. I was making my way one direction when a guy who was walking toward me, just kinda cut his eyes, kept walking and gave me a quick Boomer and a shoulder bump before moving on, he never even slowed down, I was impressed, lol, I barely had time to return the Sooner, and poof! he was gone. It cracked me up. We are worldwide with pride, I'm always amazed at the places I meet or see an OU fan. Not surprising, in case you haven't heard, we're AWESOME!!!!! ;)

olevetonahill
9/11/2012, 08:39 PM
I have been known to just Let rip a real loud BOOMER in random places and at Random times just to see. A mojority of the Time I will hear the return SOONER

pb4ou
9/11/2012, 11:33 PM
There's been a few awkward moments when I see a fellow sooner in Texas wearing an OU shirt and say, "Boomer" expecting a "Sooner" in return but only to receive a puzzled look on the shirt wearer. I think to myself, why bother anymore? heh

Soonerus
9/11/2012, 11:53 PM
Sooners are world wide...it's called real tradition ...

vtsooner21
9/12/2012, 09:56 AM
It's called Greatness....

​BOOMER

olevetonahill
9/12/2012, 09:59 AM
There's been a few awkward moments when I see a fellow sooner in Texas wearing an OU shirt and say, "Boomer" expecting a "Sooner" in return but only to receive a puzzled look on the shirt wearer. I think to myself, why bother anymore? heh

Hell, Not Me bro
If I dont get a Sooner response Ill yell it myself

C&CDean
9/12/2012, 10:51 AM
I just remembered my best all-time out-of-state Sooner fan experience. I've probably told it on here years ago.

We were elk hunting in Colorado back in the 90's dark ages (pre-Stoops). My brother and I find a little bar in Granby (I think) and go in to watch whoever OU was playing that day (can't remember). The only TV is on some POS CU game and there were about 6-7 guys at the bar watching it. None of them were real interested, and I go "do y'all mind if we change the channel to the OU game?" A couple of them go "**** OU" and turn their back on us.

So me being me go to the bartender "where's the manager? I'd like to get the OU game on." The CU guys are looking at us all hard-assed, but don't say anything. Anyhow, dude comes outta the back and without prompting goes "Norman, oooooohhhh, Norman, on the mile of cars!" I go "how the hell do you know that song?" He goes "I'm an OU grad. **** these guys, hey Charlie, change it to the OU game."

It was outstanding. The experience, not the game; cause I'm about 99% certain we lost that day.

LA.SoonerFan
9/12/2012, 11:00 AM
When I wear a OU shirt or cap over here in Louisiana I usually get "what the hell are you wearing that for?" I let them know quickly where my heart lies. I will occasionally get a "Boomer" and respond with a "Sooner". I was working out in the gym a few weeks ago and from a distance I heard someone shout out "Boomer". Of course I responded with "Sooner". You just don't hear that very much over here.

JLMSOONER
9/12/2012, 06:17 PM
Driving down through the hotel zone in Miami beach with the window down and my arm on the door. I had a shirt with "SOONERS" on the sleeve. Way off in the distance I hear a "boomer". I'm looking all around trying to figure it out and I finally look up and way near the top of a hotel I see a guy hanging out the window. Hell, I didn't even know they would open. Sooner baby sooner!!!

9/13/2012, 03:06 AM
Chicago... The year Northwestern had its 15 minutes. Boo was our coach and the Sooners were in Dallas. I was at a sports bar about four blocks from Wrigley. An OU buddy and I convinced the bartender to switch the tiny bar tv over to the OU/Fexas game. Boo actually won that day. As the Northwestern fans watched their team struggle with whogivesadamn, there was the frequent shouts of BOOMER from two out of place Sooners watching a tiny television at a Chicago dive.

Not much of a story other than John Blake actually winning THE game, once.

PhiDeltBeers
9/13/2012, 12:07 PM
Because when you least expect it, in the middle of nowhere, you just might meet Roy Williams' uncle (his mom's younger brother).

In this case, in the grain aisle of Trader Joe's in Stockton, Calif. (ForeclosureTown USA).

Awesome.

Incidentally, I asked how Damian Mackey was doing. All right, but "not as well as he could be" had he not busted up his neck.

Very cool guy. Put a smile on my face.

Eh, just got off the phone with Scott Evans. He needed some product knowledge (probably too many shots to the head back in the 80's). Rest assure Kory Klein will be calling me next.

Jacie
9/13/2012, 02:52 PM
Am flying to Cali this Saturday to visit youngest daughter. While poring over which Sooner shirts to pack i looked over at my old OU caps, the retired ones (wifey gets me a new one every Christmas). As youngest daughter attends SC, we may be touring the campus and I considered taking all of the old caps with me to leave at various places there to be found by trojans, sort of a secret Sooner attack . . .

MamaMia
9/13/2012, 03:02 PM
For over 4 days my husband and I never had to pay for but one meal, the whole time we were in Alabama for the OU @ Bama game. Our checks were either picked up by Crimson Tiders wishing us a nice visit and injury free game, or Auburn fans wanting us to kick their a**. He he he :)

delhalew
9/13/2012, 09:50 PM
I can attest to the fact that Sooner gear in Louisiana earns you a look like you've sprouted an extra head. Lol

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/14/2012, 09:47 AM
I have the Texas state issued OU plates on my car and one day while I was driving down Highway 6 in Sugar Land, a beautiful blonde woman in a BMW convertible yelled Boomer at my because of my plates. Totally worth the extra money!

Piware
9/15/2012, 10:49 PM
Was standing in a bank waiting for a friend who had just moved to San Antonio, TX to finish opening her account. From far in the back of the bank I heard BOOMER. Of course, I yelled SOONER! The president of the bank came rushing out and nearly shook my hand off. He was from Bartlesville and sick to death of rusty orange.