PDA

View Full Version : George Will thinks the problem with college football is...

cvsooner
9/10/2012, 04:39 PM
...it fosters liberalism. Srsly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-college-football-and-big-government/2012/09/07/66f77a8a-f84d-11e1-8b93-c4f4ab1c8d13_story.html

MountainOkie
9/10/2012, 06:13 PM
I kept expecting there to be a punchline so I read it all the way to the end. There was no punchline.

George Will now occupies a permanent position in far left field, perhaps wearing a cap with a picture of a screw, a plus sign and a baseball.

prrriiide
9/10/2012, 06:30 PM
George Will now occupies a permanent position in far left field, perhaps wearing a cap with a picture of a screw, a plus sign and a baseball.

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/attachments/tech-talk/25395d1312729578-saddle-go-down-screw-ball.jpg

cvsooner
9/10/2012, 06:39 PM
Pretty soon he'll be talking to empty chairs.

8timechamps
9/10/2012, 06:41 PM

I've thought that for a while. After reading this article, I've officially declared him as bat-**** crazy (which I've thought for a while now).

MountainOkie
9/10/2012, 06:57 PM
...it fosters liberalism. Srsly.

To be fair he's talking about progressives, not liberals. (And yes, there is a difference.)

EatLeadCommie
9/10/2012, 07:43 PM
I think that read like an unfinished book review. It is definitely meant to be a book review. The first paragraph isn't the best lead-in, however.

StoopTroup
9/10/2012, 07:53 PM
I kept expecting there to be a punchline so I read it all the way to the end. There was no punchline.

Remember....he might be in left field but he's not a Leftist Liberal. He's in left Field of the Conservative Movement that talks to empty bar stools.

StoopTroup
9/10/2012, 07:54 PM

Heh. didn't see your post until I posted....

Good Stuff.

MountainOkie
9/10/2012, 08:25 PM
I think that read like an unfinished book review. It is definitely meant to be a book review. The first paragraph isn't the best lead-in, however.

Interesting then that it advertised as an "Opinion" article, that Will's argument is displayed prominently in the first paragraph, and a book which seems largely irrelevant to said argument is not even mentioned until the THIRD paragraph.

StoopTroup
9/10/2012, 08:29 PM
Trilateral Commission (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trilateral.org%2F&ei=yJNOUJauJ8LW2AWV2YDIDw&usg=AFQjCNHtjECDBmFbruSbwVRgQfYENUC-6g&sig2=Vb358tJCRZlZNGJX4huICQ&cad=rja)?

MountainOkie
9/10/2012, 08:39 PM
Remember....he might be in left field but he's not a Leftist Liberal. He's in left Field of the Conservative Movement that talks to empty bar stools.

As this thread inches irrevocably closer to breaking into a rendition of "Who's on First".

StoopTroup
9/10/2012, 10:23 PM
heh

soonerstan56
9/11/2012, 03:39 AM
Sadly ,he's the intelectual version of the right wing, and not the one we share.
We have the the DOK mindset which of course is the only correct way to think!

Stan

General Applewhite
9/11/2012, 05:19 AM
If he is looking to align college football with the left, he missed the most obvious point of all.

Nowhere is cfb more popular than in the South. No area of the country is more conservative than the South. Your average Southern football fan is a Republican-voting, free market-loving capitalist to the extreme.....BUT.....when it comes to the sport itself, they are absolute communists.

That same Southern college football fan, who is furious with Obama over the auto bailout, is outraged and angry over the idea that one cfb team in a particular conference could make more $ than another team in the same conference. Listen to SEC fans criticize the Longhorn Network. Here we have the ultimate example of the free-market at work in cfb but SEC fans think it is a great evil because of the inequality it causes in the Big 12. They praise the model of the SEC, talk of how undeserving teams like Vandy & Kentucky get the same $ for football as Bama and LSU - and it, ponderously, makes sense to them.

The kids they are raising are soaking all of this is and if/when the South ever trends more left, this will be one of the core causes.

virginiasooner
9/11/2012, 12:39 PM
Everyone's problem is to expect logic from George Will.

MamaMia
9/11/2012, 03:49 PM
I absolutely refuse to allow someone to stir up liberal/conservative political crap in my football! Some things are just sacred.

goingoneight
9/11/2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah... since when did we fag up football with politics?